Sign in to follow this  
chris64

Death Animations

they should make good death animations for when you get hit by a vehicle

Can a weapon had person held in hands separated from player body?

I've never seen that in Armed Assault. (And not in Ghost Recon, either.) I don't know why that is. Maybe because there is no real definition of gravity or weapon mass, and no concept of coefficient of restitution. So if the weapon were to separate and fall on its own, it would look mega-hokey. But that's just my speculation.

weapons are a part of animation, if the animation have the weapon fall out of the hand, it will, but the weapon are still being an item belongs to the dead body

Can a weapon had person held in hands separated from player body?

I've never seen that in Armed Assault. (And not in Ghost Recon, either.) I don't know why that is. Maybe because there is no real definition of gravity or weapon mass, and no concept of coefficient of restitution. So if the weapon were to separate and fall on its own, it would look mega-hokey. But that's just my speculation.

weapons are a part of animation, if the animation have the weapon fall out of the hand, it will, but the weapon are still being an item belongs to the dead body

Which is a shame, it would add to the game if weapons were´nt always magically connected to ones body, imho.

As for death animations: despite the sucky 'you cannot interrupt me' behaviour, and the nuisance of seeing the same anims again & again & again all those years we´re playing the game ..... there´s also this:

arma_sixpack.jpg

crazy_o.gif  inlove.gif  biggrin_o.gif

I highly doubt ragdoll. Running animations seem slow to me, but they're new. I hope Death animations would be more dynammic, depending on gun, bullet etc.. and also where the bullet came from. they all should affect how the body falls.

I highly doubt ragdoll. Running animations seem slow to me, but they're new. I hope Death animations would be more dynammic, depending on gun, bullet etc.. and also where the bullet came from. they all should affect how the body falls.

If you've ever played Perfect Dark on N64, they had different animations for different places of body hit, different angles of impact (I think), and for different stances (and it's an old game). Whatever the combination, they were satisfying and didn't get old. I'd just like to see a few different combinations of death animations so we don't have thirty dead bodies all in the same two positions.

Not too big a deal but an improvement would certainly be appreciated.

I would quite like to see animations of people dieing in vehicles instead of alive-dead stance. IMO GTA 4 ragdoll effects were good when you were hit by a car. alot better than armas when you were sent flying and you did the fall foward animation and somehow managed to lay flat in midair until you hit the floor.

I have to say after a couple of years of Arma, I am sick of animations in this game.  It makes you constantly feel like your fighting the game. eg:

When I get in a tank/vehicle, I don't feel like I'm getting into the vehicle, I feel like I'm waiting for this warn out animation to complete.

When I go to climb a ladder, again I don't feel as though I'm climbing onto a ladder, I feel as though I'm activating the "get on to ladder" animation.  Which is probably going to get me shot.

The same can be said for reloading Launchers, switching weapons, healing etc. And death animations just look comical at this stage.

I also have problems with some of the transition animations such as going prone from a sprint, when he refuses to get down until he has sprinted an additional 10 meters.

Then you have the problems caused by the animation system and interacting with the terrain.  You know? your sprinting along the ground and come to an slight incline and you are forced into a walk, then he will start sprinting again, if you run at an angle. Now for some reason your in the crouch position when you stop. Then you make him stand up, you start sprinting again, you see an enemy and go to point your weapon at him, but your avatar has decided to put his gun down, in a safe position.  Moving around hilly terrain is very irritating and feels clunky- like it's fighting you... The only thing animations are good for are cut scenes, I'm sorry.

I don't see why there is so much hostility toward Rag doll physics. No one said they have to fly around every where when they blow up.  I'm sure Bis could take the best of ragdoll and improve it for a military type simulation, it would be a far better starting ground than the Animation system in my opinion.

I look at some of the videos of upcoming Arma2 and I see new long animations, such as putting a soldier on your back and complex animations for pulling wounded away.  I can only hope that these are done so they are seamless and fluent, but I fear it will be more of the same, only worse.

For me the animations just don't convey the urgency of a war simulation, they are too slow and make you feel like you are waiting around for the game to do some thing that is probably going to get you killed. I understand that things cant be as fast as in arcade shooters, eg you cant just instantly get in a tank or switch weapons etc, I wouldn't want it to be like that at all, but there has to be a less clunky alternative?  I really hope Arma2 doesn't disappoint in this department.

words

About the supposed "problem" with ragdolls taking a lot of CPU cycles and their supposed inability to provide cover there's an easy solution to this: Disable the physics on the ragdoll when it stops moving, if it doesn't stop moving the physics on it should be disabled anyway. I wouldn't say it's hard to do. That way you won't have tons of active ragdolls eating your FPS AND you'd have bodies capable of providing cover, with the added realism of body physics.

I'm 99% sure they won't add any form of ragdoll since they don't feel it's necessary and it means extra work. After all, it's their game.

Edit: I'm pretty sure some games already do this. Besides, with the power of multi-core CPU's ragdolls aren't really resource hogs, only if you have ragdolls affecting eachother which wouldn't be needed in a game such as ArmA II.

Realistic looking death animations would be also related to physics i think personally.

So no improved physics simulation in Arma2 and remains bad like they were in Arma1, we can forget about good looking death animations.

Death animations have nothing at all to do with physics.

Hence the term animations - they are pre-defined movement of model's parts.

Death animations have nothing at all to do with physics.

Sadly they have not in BIS games....

I have meant that in general, let me try to explain it different:

To have "dead-animations" looking really good/realistic/whatever, they have to interact with the environment in some way.

GTA4 is a very good example here - its simply superb in GTA4.

No interaction and just a plain "animation" for "death-animations" results in what we know from Arma1 - example: die on a chair and having a "lying dead on floor" animation while only 20% of your body mass is on the actual chair tounge2.gif

Or just look at the Picture Burns posted - that explains it.

So again, without a "interaction with environment" (which according to my understanding some sort of "physics-simulation"), death animations will most likely never be able to look good/properly.

Still of course:

Yes its not really important for Gameplay and BIS should focus their available Manpower rather on the Gameplay affecting features.

I must ask. Has anyone seen a person get shoot? In anyway. Because I have. They drop like a sack of potatos in some cases. Some run, some yell. some call for god knows what. But that's just me.

ArmA 2 needs better death animations, Maybe the ragdolls from GTA 4, That would be great.