Sign in to follow this  
Farks

Trains after all?!

Hold your horses now, for all we know it could just be a set animation for the cut scene or something in that regard.

Hold your horses now, for all we know it could just be a set animation for the cut scene or something in that regard.

Then again?-it might not of been.  

I'd rather have FLIR

I wouldnt!

Easier for modders to add FLIR than Trains wink_o.gif

Easier for modders to add FLIR than Trains  wink_o.gif

Not really confused_o.gif

I have yet to see a convincing FLIR addon in ArmA that can work without having to edit every unit model.

I think engine changes are needed to do it well.

Not that I rate FLIR highly on my list of wants, but it would be nice.

Hi all

FLIR is best addressed by a FLIR LOD.

Kind Regards walker

Hi all

Kind Regards walker

Yes but i'd rather have it at the ground level, especially if we are having UAV's etc.

Hi all

Kind Regards walker

Yes but i'd rather have it at the ground level, especially if we are having UAV's etc.

Hi Monkey Lib Front

Obviously I agree.

But we are dragging the thread offtopic.

It is nice to see an additional mode of transport added to ArmA.

As I pointed out in the complexity thread; it is the continual insertion of new possibilities that attracts people to the Real Virtuality engine. People are talking about possibility of doing an Under Siege 2: Dark Territory mission with the trains. Will they be enterable? Can we MOD them to put in an Amtrak type train? What about the Aircraft carrier can we wonder around inside it? Can we MOD it? What about a battleship? Under Siege anybody.

Possiblilities is what people want.

No more prisons for our minds.

Kind Regards walker

I think Bis stated in interviews in autumn of 08 that there wouldn't be movin trains, just static ones.

But I dunno if they changed their minds? It was something big in the engine code that stopped them from doing it I believe..

In ofp there was the AEF mod that put in trains with some serious work around codes and it was very limited and didn't work in a mp enviroment.  tounge2.gif

OMG OMG OMG!!!!  crazy_o.gif   yay.gif I watched the Napa video again and oh crap, I think I saw it too...  wow_o.gif

Omg Arma 2 had a highscore in my head of 8 or 9 but this is absolutely a 10, oh the possibilites of mission making with trains, Im wondering if there will be fixed tracks on the island that the trains can use and or mission editors will be able to put out their own tracks and train bridges and trainstations?  whistle.gif

what role will trains have in the Warefare / CTI missions??? inlove.gif Like will players be able to build them at trainstations or just use them as cover during fights near them or troop transports smile_o.gif hitchhiking with civilian trains from town to town?

I think Bis stated in interviews in autumn of 08 that there wouldn't be movin trains, just static ones.

But I dunno if they changed their minds? It was something big in the engine code that stopped them from doing it I believe..

In ofp there was the AEF mod that put in trains with some serious work around codes and it was very limited and didn't work in a mp enviroment.  tounge2.gif

OMG OMG OMG!!!!  crazy_o.gif   yay.gif I watched the Napa video again and oh crap, I think I saw it too...  wow_o.gif

Omg Arma 2 had a highscore in my head of 8 or 9 but this is absolutely a 10, oh the possibilites of mission making with trains, Im wondering if there will be fixed tracks on the island that the trains can use and or mission editors will be able to put out their own tracks and train bridges and trainstations?  whistle.gif

what role will trains have in the Warefare / CTI missions???  inlove.gif  Like will players be able to build them at trainstations or just use them as cover during fights near them or troop transports smile_o.gif hitchhiking with civilian trains from town to town?

Have equipment carry and train sabotages smile_o.gif imagine, your train was sabotaged, your equipments fell sleek to the enemy, you will cover these things.

There was an addon for OFP that was an Island that had a train track running all around it.  IT also had working trains, im serious. The train n the video is exactly what it looked like.  You placed the train near the track and it auto-snapped onto it, and you could drive it around with it's cars hooked up, was pretty cool.  So trains are possible in ArmA if some addon maker made them back in OFP.(THey weren't buggy at all either if i remember)

Having trains really opens up a lot of potential for mission developers. One scenario I can see is instead of a convoy busting mission you could have an old ww2 style train strafing mission. And, like those who said before, it would be really cool if you could have trains that make a logistic difference in some kind of persistent, living world mission like warfare. I wonder if they go over any bridges or of they are derailable in any way. That would be hardcore, to see a train drive off of a half blown up bridge.

Anyone else thinking how cool it'll be to assault a train if it is being used by the opposing force? One could base entire missions around that idea.

Edit: Sorry I just got home, seems some other people already brought this up, yay!

There was an addon for OFP that was an Island that had a train track running all around it.   IT also had working trains, im serious. The train n the video is exactly what it looked like.  You placed the train near the track and it auto-snapped onto it, and you could drive it around with it's cars hooked up, was pretty cool.  So trains are possible in ArmA if some addon maker made them back in OFP.(THey weren't buggy at all either if i remember)

There were a lot of issues with it, especially with turnouts and stuff.

As for moving trains... not trying to destroy anyones hopes but: Maybe it was a static object moved using the setVelocity command? Would explain the high speed. wink_o.gif

As for moving trains... not trying to destroy anyones hopes but: Maybe it was a static object moved using the setVelocity command? Would explain the high speed.  wink_o.gif

While extremely probable (only to be correct setVelocity wouldn't work on a truely static object, it would still require it to be be of a simulation type that could move and interact with physical objects, just not necessarily pilotable), one would hope that BIS wouldn't tease us like like that. So far they have a history of not being misleading with their marketing; for the most part what you see is what you get ingame. It's not like them to use cheap tricks like that.

I will agree however that I have some doubts, but it's hard not to be excited. In either case it does show that they are willing to do more with the trains than just use them as static scenery.

Edit: It's not as if BIS would be entirely without motivation for implementing functional trains either. If ArmA2 can simulate trains it makes it that much more of an OFP:DR killer.

if there was feature subset for working trains ... i feel sorry for Auran rofl.gif

As for moving trains... not trying to destroy anyones hopes but: Maybe it was a static object moved using the setVelocity command? Would explain the high speed.  wink_o.gif

While extremely probable (only to be correct setVelocity wouldn't work on a truely static object, it would still require it to be be of a simulation type that could move and interact with physical objects, just not necessarily pilotable), one would hope that BIS wouldn't tease us like like that.

crazy_o.gif

Crap now you got me... of course static objects can't be moved using setVelocity. Shame on me banghead.gif