Sign in to follow this  
Sandmeister

first person view /head wobble in latest trailer

Shaky-cam! Shaky-cam! Shaky-cam! Shaky-cam! ... (chant continues)

Quote[/b] ]I don't feel blur nor shake during running, never. In game another layer of blur is like two layers of concentrations - your eyes plus artificial shake blur.

Have you tried running with a full load of gear while carrying a weapon in your hands? Believe me, the way the head wobble is in ArmA II is about as realistic as it gets.

Quote[/b] ]Also the status is still Alpha, as you can see.

That video is also two months old, so I doubt it's still Alpha, but who knows? It also says that the release date is in the first quarter of 2009, which ends in 14 days...

I can only hope... confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Also the status is still Alpha, as you can see.

That video is also two months old, so I doubt it's still Alpha, but who knows? It also says that the release date is in the first quarter of 2009, which ends in 14 days...

I can only hope... confused_o.gif

The video is from last November smile_o.gif

when you are running and stressed up you will miss stuff or see slightly blurry.

Have you ever tried to run somewhere and  thinking on 3 stuff at the same time and watched the watch and then forgot instantly what the time was, and check the watch again?  tounge2.gif

I see what you did there  wink_o.gif

Can someone translate what guy is saying on that video (4:49 - 5:19) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKX5GNVe6Qg

He says the animations and shakycam looks great etc. and the shakycam can be turned off.

Well, that's a relief

There's a reason why people stop to look around if they're going somewhere. I don't know about you, but running (especially in terrain) requires most of my attention and focus. But then again, maybe I'm just handicapped.

Quote[/b] ]The video is from last November

Ha ha, my mistake, but it only proves my point even further.  biggrin_o.gif

There's a reason why people stop to look around if they're going somewhere. I don't know about you, but running (especially in terrain) requires most of my attention and focus. But then again, maybe I'm just handicapped.

Exactly. While running in real life you also need to use your eyes to make sure you don't trip or fall over anything. In a game that isn't really a problem and you can easily look around. Even bumping into things like a wall isn't a problem in games.

That gives me an idea for a new feature - fall over when you run into a wall or other object! tounge2.gif

Hehe. Although I think I have seen smt. like that in GTA4.

Quote[/b] ]I don't feel blur nor shake during running, never. In game another layer of blur is like two layers of concentrations - your eyes plus artificial shake blur.

Have you tried running with a full load of gear while carrying a weapon in your hands? Believe me, the way the head wobble is in ArmA II is about as realistic as it gets.

If i move around in 10-20 kg of equipment running, crawling walking i usually don't feel like throwing up as i do with shaky cam... Well if i keep the heartbeat in anaerobic level and drive myself to end then maybe smile_o.gif

EDIT: But yeah. It's about how it's done. Sprinting can be shaky in games, atleast i can cope with that by not sprinting so much. but Stalker-like 'camera swaying lots always when player moves' is way too much.

If camera sways only when player moves fast then it is good, gives nice feeling of going fast (as does minor Blur in edges of screen).

Yes it should not be that shaky like we could see it in that Alpha video on YT.

This is way way to extreme and 1000% unrealistic. Because the normal "going" or "walking" will never shake your head/view like that in RL.

Though its cool when running very fast and stuff.

Though its cool when running very fast and stuff.

Agreed!

Your head bumps when running in real life.

Should this be enforced in a game? I realize you can turn it off.

I'm a little surpriced to see "it wouldn't be realistic otherwise":

1. In real life you have shock absorbers in neck, spline, and feet/legs/shoes that dampens the shocks.

2. In real life you can pretty much lock your eyes on what you want to observe. Bumping would be say 5° instead of 50° (not measured but you get the point).

3. In real life you have extreme resolution, not the typical 1280x1024 screen pixels.

4. Real life refresh rates are outstanding. Might be slightly decreased only on saturday nights.

5. Given the above the brain is able to compensate some more.

Now, in real life despite the bumping, you are able to pick out far much detail. Bicycling on a slightly bumpy road, you could be able to see and track that enemy 100-200m ahead with ease. In ArmA he would escape out of view 10 times per second because of a totally rigid body and locked view.

Personally I would vote "hell no" to use this feature. I would enable the 360° roll view when you roll on ground (for disorienting effect), but not what I call completely unrealistic "head bobbing" effect. Hopefully, the aimpoint gets randomly thrown off as well after a roll instead of landing to the excact same place, requiring a new sighting of the weapon.

It's the same with the endless discussions about using 3rd person being realistic or not. In the lack of features to turn body, mirrors and any device that helps spatial orientation and coordination, I like to use it for driving tanks and trucks. I try not to act like a commander when in a vehicle with that RPG in front of you, but it's damn hard not to use this feature as a cheat.

So I would like to ask for a new viewpoint feature that is not affected by 3rd view difficulty setting: A viewpoint directly above the vehicle looking nearly straight down, with only 5-10 meters around, available only to the driver of this vehicle. It wouldn't be as effective as 3rd person, we could have more servers with 3rd person turned off, and you can't really do any lookout for close threats in such a view. But you can obtain better spatial orientation and coordination. No freelook in this view though.

I would also like a view dampening system, where it takes some time for the eyes to look in the view the vehicle was pointing. Especially for motorcycles and bicycles. You really can't drive these without 3rd person and remain aware of your surroundings as you would in real life.

I would hate such a feature, give us the option to turn it off/on please.