Sign in to follow this  
mechastalin

BTR-70 Pack, BETA Release

This is a release of my BTR-70 pack finally in an AS IS state, anybody is welcome to clean it up and finish it and use it in their mod work etc, just give me a heads up.

Versions Included:

BTR-70 - Standard version

BTR-70 (BPPU) - Version with improved BPPU turret mounting 2A42 gun.

There is a version of the standard BTR-70 with a beat up and rusty texture set for the independent side, it is crashing the game for whatever reason and is probably an easy fix, but I just can't be bother right now. Its not included in the pack but if you have fixed the other versions and would like to finish it as well I can send it to you.

Known Problems:

Steering wheel does not turn properly

Vehicle Floats too high

As far as I know, you cannot disable individual wheels, gun etc.

Damage textures do not work, They ARE in the PBOs just not configged, I had them working but that version got lost in an HD crash.

Will only cross bridges slowly.

Exterior cargo proxies are less than perfect

None of these except for maybe the bridge problem effect the vehicles usability, and its done for the most part, so enjoy!

mech_btrs.rar - 6.54MB

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/Autozam/New/70M3.jpg

nice job, i like the metal shader, very realistic, perhaps the tires would need better normal maps.

thanks

Just when you think that things calm down after Christmas releases comes this wink_o.gif

Test driving them tonight.

Just couple of notes:

If there are no openable hatches you should perhaps add to prevent player from turning out with the viewpoint set inside geometry ->

- forceHideDriver = 1; (for main config) and

- forceHideGunner = 1; (for the turret)

- IMO the fireGeometry should include all crew and passenger proxies (at least BIS vehicles are setup that way).

Quote[/b] ]As far as I know, you cannot disable individual wheels, gun etc.

That’s not entirely true. What conditions do you want to use to disable individual wheels and guns? It really depends on how much you want to add the feature.

Nice work! i just love the cannon, so much fun, also its fun to simply drive over the countryside because of the Gear tounge2.gif

@MechaStalin: I'm preparing the fixed version, would You mind if I release it? I'm almost done with BTR-70 (as far as I'm not an artist).

EDIT: That's my 500th post biggrin_o.gif

Hey MechaStalin, that looks much better than when you first started. Congratulations.

Nice work! i just love the cannon, so much fun, also its fun to simply drive over the countryside because of the Gear tounge2.gif

Yeah, I'm quite happy with how it ended up driving.

@MechaStalin: I'm preparing the fixed version, would You mind if I release it? I'm almost done with BTR-70 (as far as I'm not an artist).

What problems did you fix exactly? Or did you get all of them? smile_o.gif

LODs could use some more optimization. The most distant one has almost as many polys as the closest one.

What problems did you fix exactly? Or did you get all of them? smile_o.gif

Yes, lets not start another "version 2344 of the F-16"

Might be better is various people post a note here on what they can/have fixed and maybe pool together in a few weeks for a combined update. Just a suggestion.

Mech,

Darn nice unit !! Thanks heaps for the release.

I agree.  Coordination is key towards the development of an addon.  Please post on here if you are working on this addon and give detailed information on what you are working on.

If everyone interested in developing it works together, it will be a TOP class addon.  

However if people just post half-assed versions of it in binarized form, then you will have a bunch of different competing versions and ALOT of chaos making the addon useless for MP games unless the best version is used by larger mods.

As it is however, it is definitely a useful addon and I really am enjoying it! Good work!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Personally I think the F16 is a clear example of how the community worked together to 'not' make 26 versions of the same addon.

The F16 is being worked on by different people adding/refining/changing different things, but the most important thing is they all retain the version numbers.

it's currently at version 1.09, if you want the latest you download it, it signed which means if a server wants to the F16 it and let people know which one to use. (the only thing the F16 has suffered from is a lot of interest hence a lot of recent changes).

The beauty of the F16 is that people can pick it up, add something, get it out, without having to wait for xyz persons to ready to add something

as for the BTR-70 no reason why, it can't follow the same pattern, as long as the changes are made within the thread and the addon maker is happy with whats being done, surely it better to update/improve the addon and retain some sense of order, than to either let it stay as it is with known bugs.

Just my two cents.

Southy