Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

T90. Which is the best addon one?

Guys,

We have a number of T90's now. I have Marijus pack, but Ike's is also popular. modEmMaik also has some. Marijus's is generating an addon error for me right now, but that might be my mistake not his.

So, if anyone else has used more than one T90 in multiplayer, whose do you prefer and why?

Tanky

sorry for not answering about "which is best" but it shows problem

we had horrible mess in OFP when there was 40 M4 packs, 20 AK47 packs, 20 G36, 20 MP5.... and most of that pack were using one and the same CS imported model

it was very stupid mess

like after releasing my Bradley or weapons i had about 6 asks like "can you give me MLOD and permission..."

people wanted to release my addon with their tag and they were surprised when i was answering  "no"

they didn't wanted to improve existing addon - for sake of community , but they wanted their own tag before my file ... pitful :/

i think addonmaking community should act in proper way to avoid such mess "which addon should i choose cause there are 5 packs of the same"

i was writing such post in the beggining of 2007

i think we addonmakers should have some king of agreement about "who makes something"

cause i understand ask from first post/author of topic

for me OFP addons market was horrible because of this smile_o.gif

of course i will not help in choosing T90, cause every author had his effort

but of course we addonmakers should have such discuss - who plans deal with something

i know that addonmaking is a hobby and 99% of us (addonmakers) do addons for our own joy

but...

but it is stupid when after release of good/realistic addons five another less realistic and worse addons appear

MP servers are also pain in .... because one guy takes one of addons and rest are thrown away, while they are so good or even better

now when Arma 2 comes i think we should have some kind of agreement

also answering to such topic can be punished by moderators, because when you ask "which is better" you provoke answer "this is better, this is worse" and you provoke bashing/flamming

cause every addonmaker spent his time on creating something, and when players ask about addon in such way, addonmaker may be forced to cryticise other maker or even to say that someone model is sh***

thats why people will not answer you to such question

you must launch up google and found yourself answer comparing one and other T90 to real photos smile_o.gif

sory for phisolofical post, but i think it shows problem generally

While I often don't agree with what you say, Vilas, here, I'm in total agreement. The truck load of M4 addons in OFP was not good for the community, although some might say it reflected the bewildering array of Armalites out there in the real world! smile_o.gif

I wasn't trying to start a fight amongst addon makers, I merely wanted to know ia other people had an opinion as to which pack might be best for my application, IE, they'd be grouped in a town sized area, AI controlled with lots of their freindlies about, running on a dedicated server for MP.

I have do a little research and I know that some of your stuff was used in many of these addons, I didn't check but I assume you made a T90 yourself?

I have only written the basic ERA "style" tank (based on BI's T-72) which evolved to Badger's, Maijus and Ike's version.

Each of them differs a bit and I think those guys did a pretty good job.  xmas_o.gif

My priciple is "sharing is caring", which produced a bit of a mess at the beginning, because they influenced each other. But now the tanks have separate config, which resolved most of the issues.

Ike's version is final (I guess), where Marijus improves his version.

BR,

mike

Vilas has a point. We already have numerous addons and mods for ArmA which are not even designed to be compatible. It is the poor end user who is going to do the all the hard (some times even impossible) work of figuring out which addon/mod works with what.

Honestly it's already a bloody mess.

There certainly is such a thing as too much choice, but I for one am glad Mike decided to share his stuff freely.

In this case we have 4 or 5 practically identical addons, but isn't that better than just one?

also answering to such topic can be punished by moderators, because when you ask "which is better" you provoke answer "this is better, this is worse" and you provoke bashing/flamming

cause every addonmaker spent his time on creating something, and when players ask about addon in such way, addonmaker may be forced to cryticise other maker or even to say that someone model is sh***

I'm sorry, but I can not agree with this.

It's perfectly possible for two addon makers to make similar things without coming to blows.

It's also possible for someone to legitimately ask if one addon is better than the other. Why do you assume it will lead to flaming? Why wouldn't there be a civilised exchange of views?

I don't think it's the moderators job or intention to suppress debate, whether it be contentious or controversial or not. We are entitled to know the communities views. If one or two individuals, be they addon makers or not find they can't contribute in a grown up way, why should the mods prevent ANY debate on the subject.

Maybe this will help...the Russian Armour Pack had its roots in principle with modemmaik's "open ended" approach.His project spurred the development of the t-90s,which I in turn left open for further dev.,which lead to more options and features added by marijus and snoopy,making the pack more than just t-90s.It now contains T-72's,T-80's,T-90's as well as BTR80/90 variants.However,the t90's themselves became separated in there development,making one set by itself exclusive to t-90's only and binarized(marijus's),while I contuined to add more t-80 variants to the Russian Armour Pack which is unbinarized.So if you only want T-90 and have total multi player control on your server...get either marijus's or ikes releases...if you want a slew of armour and variants...and aren't really concerned with server issues,I would get the Russian Armour Pack...keeping in mind that if YOUR serving it simply means people have to run your version of tank pack.

Keep in mind also...the only reason the Armour pack isn't binarized,is for someone to dev it further and optimize it..its open,plain and simple.

Thank you badger. Just the answer I was looking for!

See Vilas? How that didn't end in tears? A full and frank explanation and nobody (yet) has got their knickers in a twist.

As it happens, I've gone for Marijus's as I really only want one type of T90, the green SA.

I wonder, badger, if you might be able to shed any light on my addon problem in this thread about his T90?

hmmm...hard to say...but what you can do is this.Download the pack below and try it...if theres no issues,pull the green textures and swap them for one in the pack(making sure you identify which textures are on which tank.)

http://files.filefront.com/Russian....fo.html

that error means that at one time you had a version with that classname and its no longer in your game,yet the mission still is.Either redo the mission or my suggestion above(which gives you even more tanks btw)

Thanks for looking badg. (Can I call you badg? smile_o.gif)

As I said to vilas in there, I think it's related to the fact the tank is spawned by a script, not by mission.sqm and thus, not mentioned in mission.sqm. I'll continue testing.

Quote[/b] ]I'm sorry, but I can not agree with this.

It's perfectly possible for two addon makers to make similar things without coming to blows.

T90 was only metaphore of problem

but if you would ask for example of infantryman model or weapons... it would cause other reaction, cause there are addonmakers who even told "if someone was not holding weapon in hands, who cares (that it is very different from realism)" and how such addon be treated with respect if for example for person who makes it , it makes no differenc left side of receiver or right side, longer barrel or shorter and etc.

so you kow T90 is just metaphore, better let not other ask "please choose addon" topics

i prefer closing such topics by moderation unless you really want start something more

i prefer closing such topics by moderation unless you really want start something more

I don't want anything more, but luckily, you're not a moderator.

Why don't just download the T-90s in question and check them out instead starting a thread (and in the wrong forum)?

By the time you following the different posts and opinions you could have downloaded and tested them long time.

Closing.