Sign in to follow this  
ANZACSAS Steven

Artillery In Arma 2

Does anyone know of any info on wether or not Arma 2 will have any sort of "controllable" Artillery like CoC Arty (UA) did for OFP?

In the Interview with Ivan Buchta (worth to listen to btw.), he said that they are working on something like that and if i remember correctly he even mentioned "Mortars".... yay.gif

Ohh i'm waiting since OFP1 for mortars... this would be so awesome if they will be finally in the game or in patches/expansion packages.

I'm a kind of guy whichi would stand a whole MP party only at a Mortar-site and firing one shell after another if requested, changing positions firing again, etc...

Awesome! notworthy.gif

Hmm... I'm interested about how they will make it for player to use. Simple automated or hard manual. In FDF there was manually operated mortar, and ehh... Hitting to clearly visible target in my line of sight was very hard (more so if elevation of target wasn't same as mine), not to talk about non-visible target which i'm supposed to hit... While there are own guys sneaking into close proximity of target. smile_o.gif

How will FO's job be modelled? Player controlled mortar needs info, will AI be able to deliver this info? And how player will do as FO... I'd bet that system will be easy to use for FO.

With artillery in-game i even more wish that there would be ability to dug-in or atleast AI would understand what kind cover is best for it. Example from FDF, you have trench and you put  squad in there and leave another squad into open. Have a barrage and look at casualities and you'll see that guys in trenches did suffer little to no damage (if shell didnt' fall into trench), while guys in open are much more badly hurt.

Artillery and Mortars will be great. What I hope is that damage calculations of exploding shells will take into account exposed area and cover. The way I understand it, shrapnel is the biggest killer of mortar and artillery shells, so stance should affect the chance of taking damage from a nearby explosion. I think it will have some interesting effects on game play, when mortar fire wont necessary kill infantry units easily, but force them to hit the dirt and pin them down.

Artillery and Mortars will be great. What I hope is that damage calculations of exploding shells will take into account exposed area and cover. The way I understand it, shrapnel is the biggest killer of mortar and artillery shells, so stance should affect the chance of taking damage from a nearby explosion.

This has been in from days of OFP, hitting dirt has very positive effects on survival from explosions. Better yet while using very high or high terrain detail you actually could find very safe spots (=pits), into which shell literally has to fall to be able to kill you.

This has been in from days of OFP, hitting dirt has very positive effects on survival from explosions. Better yet while using very high or high terrain detail you actually could find very safe spots (=pits), into which shell literally has to fall to be able to kill you.

Nice. I never really payed attention to it, because there was hardly any indirect fire in native OFP and ArmA.

I just remember those hand grenades, that would kill everyone in the same house, regardless of room or floor. So I just thought when explosions get really important with mortars and artys, there needs to be a good damage system for that.

Nice. I never really payed attention to it, because there was hardly any indirect fire in native OFP and ArmA.

I just remember those hand grenades, that would kill everyone in the same house, regardless of room or floor. So I just thought when explosions get really important with mortars and artys, there needs to be a good damage system for that.

Yeah buildings were deathtraps. I don't know what made FDF's trenches (which were buildings) so special. Slope walls, indestructability or something i don't know.

I dont' know how engine handled explosions but to me it seemed that explosions force is somewhat directed upwards, lying down man could be much closer to explosion and survive than standing man.

OFP handled explosion damage pretty badly. So did ArmA originally until an early patch. At least now if you are covered by something solid you are pretty safe.

Houses in ArmA make decent protection against explosives such as artillery, unless of course the explosive destroys the house or hits it directly wow_o.gif

Without cover, your best bet is to go prone. Slightly higher chance of survival but definitely no guarantee tounge2.gif

For mortars it could be also interesting if they add removable helmet...so for example...in the hot of the battle you lose your helmet then you will be more likely to get killl by shrapnel..even if proned.

As it sounds ArmA already has a pretty good basis to simulate the effects of mortars and artillery. Now lets hope that also the AI reacts properly when under fire.

If done right, this will have a pretty large (and interesting) impact on how infantry combat plays out.

Wander how hard it would be to differ/creat  proximety fuses(air burst over troops) an delayed(bunker) penetration etc. I was gonna say that hardened bunkers maybe wont work but after seein the M-1's shoot an take out walls would it be possible to get the same effects on bunkers houses etc.

I thought in Viper's arty addon already performed about air-burst and DPICM...just lack of WP

about the helmet...it would be a great idea, but first we ned a better body armor value.

Soldiers with body armors and helmets should have higher chance to survive than those have none(example: partisans, civilians)

Well the commands are already in VBS2 to calculate the trajectory, but that's not even half the problem. As soon as BIS include it in the game, everyone expects it to be easy to use for both the player and the AI, along with all the other extra features listed here. AI FO's being a good example, if anyone has every sat down and tried to work out the logic involved, they will know what I mean.

If they manage to include a system that doesn't generate more complaints than compliments from the community, it will be a minor miracle.

Well the commands are already in VBS2 to calculate the trajectory, but that's not even half the problem.

Wait What?! They do? wow_o.gif . These magnificently evil VBS2 bastards.

Well , I for one will be more than positively suprised if those make it into ArmA2. And I thought we were getting some "lame" scriptillery.

That combined with those VBS2 commands that apparently let you set the direction of a gun [for player aiming,mortars] and you have a splendid arty system right there.

Rest assured , as a long term BIS customer I don't expect anything ,but I reasonable believe the end product will be below my expectations still. Oh fun! biggrin_o.gif

If they manage to include a system that doesn't generate more complaints than compliments from the community, it will be a minor miracle.

Well, every feature currently in-game is subject to that same level of criticism, so lets hope that they do not use that as an excuse and that they do include more artillery (of all types) along with a more thought out indirect fire routine. Could be as simple as a field expedient FO (anyone w/the proper equipment and LOS to target), to request the mission from an offsite (AI) FDC, which then passes it on to the crew/battery. The games engine must track all of these relative positions (FO, TGT, BTRY) as a function of the program.

What I'd also like to see is the ability to break down that mortar, or to bring that howitzer out of action and mosey on down the road afterward, instead of settling in as a static element.

One can dream. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]These magnificently evil VBS2 bastards.

Lol..Yeah, VBS2 is childs play compared to Arma and OFP. Although saying that, as I don't have a copy I can only assume AimPos and FiringSolution will do the job?

Quote[/b] ]Well, every feature currently in-game is subject to that same level of criticism, so lets hope that they do not use that as an excuse and that they do include more artillery (of all types) along with a more thought out indirect fire routine.

I think it's more of a reality rather than an excuse. I would be happy with it being included into the engine, if not the mission editor. Lets face it, community made addons just don't get the same amount of stick. Despite the fact it's far easier to write an addon than it is to write a game.

I thought in Viper's arty addon already performed about air-burst and DPICM...just lack of WP

about the helmet...it would be a great idea, but first we ned a better body armor value.

Soldiers with body armors and helmets should have higher chance to survive than those have none(example: partisans, civilians)

For what I´ve seen in the videos...there are going to be new features to help your wounded buddys in combat. Thinking a little bit more on this it could be lovely if they implement more degrees of woundering...Now there are like 4:

- Healthy

- Wounded capable of walking but arms shakes for aiming

- Badly wounded...only capable of sneaking.

- Death

I would like to see people getting knocted down by explosion shockwave (not death or injured..just KO like if they got a big punch on their heads)...KO can also happen in firefight...even if the bullet never comes across the body armor.

Also...different degrees of blindness caused by eye damaging explosions.

Bleeding....so you only got certain time until the medic helps you.

And linking to another feature that should be implemented... deception.

The posibility for the player to fake hes death (or not faking it intentionally....just because hes is temporally KO).

Deception was largely used on WWII and I strongly believe its still used nowadays... It´s could be pretty cool to see that the enemy has give away his position coz they are shooting "scarecrows".

nener.gifnener.gif

CoC Arty (UA) did for OFP?

CoC Arty would be hard to beat. I'd love to see something similar in arma2 but the chain of command did an absolutely amazing job.

I saw something resembling a Katyusha (Stalin's Organ) in one of the videos BIS released this week. Maybe we will get some decent artillary units after all?

I suppose they could impliment something similar to the artillary in ArmA warfare, but that system is neither realistic nor is it terribly effective.

I saw something resembling a Katyusha (Stalin's Organ) in one of the videos BIS released this week.  Maybe we will get some decent artillary units after all?

I suppose they could impliment something similar to the artillary in ArmA warfare, but that system is neither realistic nor is it terribly effective.

Looks like BM-21. Besides that you got the mortar from ChDKZ video and USMC faction mention of MLRS.

Good indication that they might be up to something. Worst case senario is community made system. wink_o.gif