Sign in to follow this  
ANZACSAS Steven

Symphony Of War

I guess the worst thing done here is not stating the source and "personal use" claims as a statement in the read me for it in the first place, but that's about as far as it can go with complaining.

Its not like it was ripped from another modder who had created the sounds from scratch using his/her own money with studio recording techniques and then lost money by giving the sounds away and now has been claimed for this mod.

Im not sure if this is just a point about "ripping" but to get it into perspective ... people release music ripping whole sections of tracks, bang it out on a white label and into independent stores and people actually buy it (the earn money) ... now that's a rip, it happens. Here we have someone taking small detailed sounds and packing it into a mod for no cost on a forum that's hardly the biggest on the internet.

I think the difference here is:

1. Its not taken from another community modder who actually made the sound themselves/ EG: like a model maker who actually builds a model from scratch.

2. Its not an entire rip of many sounds from that game, just minor things.

3. People throw "legal" around all day and yet we have ECS which used ambient sounds from Ghost Recon, the other latest sound mod including whole released music tracks for the menu music (a few), XAM also using whole commercially released music tracks (yes not a few second gun sample, whole music tracks) for its radio in helis .... if anyone wants to get on the moral high ground, best blast those threads then as they are BLATANT illegality (but do you see anyone throwing legal action at them ... no).

I mean, to be perfectly honest as long as you claim the source isn't yours and you state it (the only real issue any one can have here to be fair), and you don't make money, legal doesn't enter it becuase who would actually take legal action on something generating no revenue to actually make nothing from it??

People seem to be mixing up raw produced material from scratch by modders for the community (then you have a point here) and borrowing sounds from commercial sources with no money being made from it and very low key distribution of very minor sound source (unlike some other mentioned sound mods yet no ones complained there have they).

If you have issue here on the commercial use side, those who complained need to now post the same issues in the other sound mod threads I mention, as you cannot have one rule for one and not the other.

PS - other sound modders I mention here, Im not taking issue with you here, just putting things into perspective a little is all.

wink_o.gif

Generally speaking:

If the modder doesnt make credits to original source and claims to be the author... he has some problems to respect other peoples work or simply is an dumbass with poor education. If its only & strictly for private use dont advertise it in public forums.

Dont know why some people think they could copy all without giving proper credits & ask the author? Is it really that hard to write some lines? whistle.gif

Thank you MrCash2009 for mentioning the fact that i am certainly not the first or will i be the last to include a soundfile from a commercially released game.

I never wrote in the readme which game they came from cos from all the addons i have d'loaded over the years noone has ever bothered to write it either.

So i never thought another thing about it.

As i have said a number of times i never claimed credit for making the soundfiles.

Maddmatt,

Your on the total wrong track.

I was being baited and you support this?

The credits state i am responsible for the mod.Thats it ,no more no less.Read what you like into it.

Btw,I didnt accuse anyone of ripping sounds.You did.

This Off-topic is getting very old and is getting all of us no-where.

Back to the feedback and so on.

This "sampling" issue has been a topic of various media forms for years now.  I think what it boils down to are two camps.  There's one that feels that when something is made publicly available and/or can be reverse-engineered it's fair game for reproduction (this is partly supported by the reverse-engineering clause in patent law).  There's another camp that feels that without the permission of the original author or property owner, sampling cannot be done at all (this is supported by multiple copyright laws).

So legally speaking, it's a gray area and likely always will be a gray area to one degree or another.  But ethically, one should always at least give credit to the person that made the original, just to show them some respect.  It takes all of a couple minutes and bypasses all the frustration and hassle that come with not giving credit.  Not to mention that it keeps your reputation sparkling and shiny.

Yes, you admitted that you got the sounds from the Desert Combat mod, but only after someone mentioned that they remembered that sound.  I think the best practice would be to give credit where credit is due.  While I'm sure that you made the majority of your sounds, you should probably modify your original post to include the names of all the people that you got sounds from in a "credits" section.

That's all I'll say about this issue.

For future conversation about trade marks please continue to

BI FORUMS » OFFTOPIC » OFFTOPIC

Otherwise, Get lost.

Quote[/b] ]the choice of the word "exhaustive implies that most if not all of the sounds used in my mod are not my own.

No, the word 'exhaustive' means comprehensive. It implies a complete list.

Quote[/b] ]

Your attitude stinks and if you want to cause trouble do it somewhere else.

Someone's attitude stinks. Let's go further through this post and see whose it is!

Quote[/b] ]

As can be seen,i never once claimed that i made the sounds that have been mentioned.

But if you don't publish a list of sources, then you are claiming it. This was my concern.

Quote[/b] ]

Everybody just relax unless you want to see 80% of the addons released recalled and never released again.

Not only taking your toys and going home, but calling for everyone else to do the same! I'd like to think that 80% of the addons made here are not ripped off. I think that you have a pessimistic view of the community- and a very wrong one.

Quote[/b] ]

Do you ppl really think that for every tank/heli/aircraft etc the addon makers have gone out and recorded there own sound for it....

No, but there are audio sources available that you can use under free use. If I'm making a texture, say, and I go to a botany website and use non-copyrighted images of plants, that's fine. If I use some plant textures from Crysis, that's not okay, because that artwork is copyrighted, even if the artist got his sources from the same botany website.

In your case, it depends on the license that Desert Combat was released under. I assume they wish to have control over their artwork. This is a good assumption to make, as it respects the rights of the original authors.

Quote[/b] ]

Grow up,and get a life.

I appreciate the irony of someone throwing an adolescent tantrum and telling me to grow up.

Quote[/b] ]

If i said i made everything in my mod i would cop the flak but i didnt so find a different mod community to try and destroy.

Unless you make a list of whom you have borrowed from, it is implied when you claim authorship of the sound mod.

Quote[/b] ]

This mod was only released for non commercial,private use.There ius no problem with it.I have been modding the BF series games for along time and there has never been a problem untill now that you have started one.

I started what?

Quote[/b] ]

Seems like a case of forum fatcats feeding on their own young.Not a great strategy for longevity....

While I do enjoy being called a fatcat, and I'm excited at the prospect of myself having the power to destroy the forums from the inside, this premise is totally insane. But, if asking questions causes some people to have a little melt down, and if I or others manage to drive out the people who have little melt downs at simple question or use dubious methods to create addons then bring it on.

Quote[/b] ]

You have earnt yourself a Ban from any and all of my threads.

Trouble makers are not welcome here.

Oh my word! I've earnt myself some consequence that you have no power to actually enforce. This sounds like hot air! ...and I fear hot air. I fear it deeply.

Quote[/b] ]

This was supposed to be fun.......

Also honest.

@Plaintiff1

Perhaps it would have been a better idea to raise this issue with a mod so they could handle it rather than yourself?

Maddmatt,

Your on the total wrong track.

I was being baited and you support this?

The credits state i am responsible for the mod.Thats it ,no more no less.Read what you like into it.

He has a point, even if you don't like the way he is saying it. I think it would be better to credit where you get the sounds from. Some people don't like seeing their work used without credit, and can also get annoyed when they are not asked about it first.

Quote[/b] ]

Btw,I didnt accuse anyone of ripping sounds.You did.

No, the quote was from you.

I realise you're not the only one who has done that. But that doesn't make it right either.

ANZACSAS Steve, plaintiff1 and Maddmatt

Take your personal stuff out of this thread and to PMs please.

Grow up,and get a life.

If i said i made everything in my mod i would cop the flak but i didnt so find a different mod community to try and destroy.

This mod was only released for non commercial,private use.There ius no problem with it.I have been modding the BF series games for along time and there has never been a problem untill now that you have started one.

Seems like a case of forum fatcats feeding on their own young.Not a great strategy for longevity....

You have earnt yourself a Ban from any and all of my threads.

Trouble makers are not welcome here.

This was supposed to be fun.......

It was you who started the off-topic crap here just because someone asked why you haven't mentioned the people/companies you have taken the sounds from.

Unfortunately for you, you cannot ban everyone from your threads. As long as it's nothing against our rules, everyone can post anywhere he wants.

As for troublemakers... it was you who started the trouble with above post.

Back on topic now lads, mkay? smile_o.gif

Hey Steve, am loving this sound mod, only prob is when a helo or plane flys by, the volume is or seems to me to be way too low,can hardly hear them...how could i change these....could you point me in right direction or is it not that simple.... help.gif

Hiya Spliff,

Glad your enjoying the Mod. biggrin_o.gif

Do you have a soundcard installed?

Do you have Eax And hardware acceleration turned on?

Hi...thnx for a reply....the card is SB Audigy whistle.gif

a bit of an old one....then in game Eax is on and the hardware acceleration is off as this seemed to get better performance.All other sounds am loving its just if a helo or plane flys past i cant hear it until its too late in the case of the enemy .... smile_o.gif

[Yep tried that still same... ]

Hiya m8,

I been refining a few things in the mod but i dont seem to be able to see where your problems lie.

Sorry m8,I dont think i can help ya .

All i can say is try it without your soundcard installed but that prolly isnt very practical.

Steve.