Sign in to follow this  
eble

F35 Lightning II - JSF

F35 Lightning II - joint Strike Fighter

Conversion of Footmunch's OFP addon By Southy

‘The Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II is a single-seat, single-engine, stealth-capable military strike fighter, a multi-role aircraft that can perform close air support, tactical bombing, and air superiority fighter missions.’

lastest version in vid  (14/09/08)

just have a small shadow improvement to make and damage textures and it's good to go.

Will come in the following colours:

(Or as close as I can get to it)

US Airforce   (dark grey)

US Navy       (grey)

US Marines    (light grey)

RAF              (light grey)

RAAF            (light grey)

Features will include:

Afterburner, sonic boom and vapour, Special FX by Lethal edited by Gnat and further modified by the Project RACS Mod/Scars

Multi weapon loadout:

4 x AGM-154 JSOW  (external)

2 x GBU-32 JDAM(internal weapon bay)

4 x AIM-120D ASRAAM (2 x internal weapon bay, 2 x external wing mounted)

Thanks to namman2

4 colour schemes updated by eddyD

Random unit numbers

Normal and specular textures

Modified flight model including (VTOL)

F35%20Demo2.jpg

F35%20Demo.jpg

Plane will come with Mutliple weapon payloads

four colour schemes (USAF dark grey, grey, light grey and RAF grey) by eddyD.

Video is of VTOL demo only, flight model will be tweaked further (doesn't need much) also video shows original Flashpoint textures.

Flight model will feature VTOL/STOL capabilities.(no scripts)

(Thanks to Gnat for help with the VTOL animations)

Video of flight model (Old).(using wrong addon model, non working VTOL animations)

Just needing a few weapon loadout tweaks, hoping to have a working release beta soon.

Southy

Excellent

Now the only thing we lack is a good LHD ship for reenacting a MEU and its air complement

AH-1Z cobra (done by BIS)

V-22 Osprey (done by Gnat)

F-35 Lightning II (done by you)

F35.jpg

here some screenshots for upcoming F-35 , still testing textures

Thanks again eddyD your screenshots do the textures more justice than mine. smile_o.gif

Southy

are the usaf, marines and navy version visualy different?

because marines should have vtol; navy - "the hook" and larger wings, etc; airforce...

Guest RKSL-Rock

because marines should have vtol; navy - "the hook" and larger wings, etc; airforce...

Yes. All 3 versions are quite different.

F-35A - USAF CTOL version

F-35B - USMC VTOL version - clipped wings, lift doors etc

F-35C - USN Carrier version - oversize wings, tailhook

@ Eble - Looking at your video, you seem to have used the X-35 as the basis of your version. The Lift fan doors are dramatically changed in the production version. The main lift fan is now a single piece door hinging from the rear. The "hump" is now more pronounced too. The underside lift fan doors are now 2 pieces as opposed to 4 pieces. And the main engine intake upper doors now hinge from the outside, with the shape changed a little.

Yes.  All 3 versions are quite different.

F-35A - USAF CTOL version

F-35B - USMC VTOL version - clipped wings, lift doors etc

F-35C - USN Carrier version - oversize wings, tailhook

@ Eble - Looking at your video, you seem to have used the X-35 as the basis of your version.  The Lift fan doors are dramatically changed in the production version.  The main lift fan is now a single piece door hinging from the rear.  The "hump" is now more pronounced too. The underside lift fan doors are now 2 pieces as opposed to 4 pieces.   And the main engine intake upper doors now hinge from the outside, with the shape changed a little.

@ RockofSL -  I spent about 2/3 hours studying the doors on the vtol version trying to get the model to at least look the same, I'm guessing I was watching a very early X-35 video.

I'll try and find some more upto date videos to get a better understanding of the doors.

That being said I have no where near enough experience to create all the different versions of this aircraft, I'll limit this addon to the VTOL version.

made some quick changes let me know:

F35%20revised%20ani.jpg

Southy

Guest RKSL-Rock
@ RockofSL -  I spent about 2/3 hours studying the doors on the vtol version trying to get the model to at least look the same, I'm guessing I was watching a very early X-35 video.

I'll try and find some more upto date videos to get a better understanding of the doors.

That being said I have no where near enough experience to create all the different versions of this aircraft, I'll limit this addon to the VTOL version.

made some quick changes let me know:

[im]http://www.adam.com.au/southstar/F35%20revised%20ani.jpg[/img]

Southy

I wouldnt worry about it.  BIS made the same error too The ArmA II F-35 is actually an X-35!  I made a comparison slide for BIS sometime ago.  If i still have it i'll post a link.

You will want to move the lower lift fan doors so its directly under the upper lift fan.  Currently you have it in the splitter chamber for the main engine.

The best freely available video i've found is: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nNECjHrn_JY

It shows the proper production config in all its functioning glory.

Some Production Spec Pics fomr the roll out:

http://www.popsci.com/files....35b.jpg

http://www.air-attack.com/images/single/661

The model in the video apparently isnt that accurate anymore but the doors, positions and actions are correct.

I've had a hell of a time modelling the JCA/F-35B myself.  I can sympathise with you adn Footmunch.  Its a hell of a plane to make accurately.  I've recently been given high res PR pack during a recent trip to Lockheed in Fortworth, as a result of that I'll be remaking my own model (again).  wink_o.gif

EDIT: Here you go.  A quick comparison between the X-35B and the Production standard F-35B:

X-35 to F-35 Key changes.pdf

Small update.

Made a small video of the F35.

I just have a small shadow improvement to make and damage textures and it's good to go.

Will come in the following colours:

(Or as close as I can get to it)

US Navy       (grey)

Features will include:

Afterburner, sonic boom and vapour, Special FX by Lethal edited by Gnat and further modified by the Project RACS Mod/Scars

Multi weapon loadout:

2 x GBU-31 JDAM(internal weapon bay)

4 x AIM-132 ASRAAM (2 x internal weapon bay, 2 x external wing mounted)

Thanks to namman2

4 colour schemes updated by eddyD

Random unit numbers

Normal and specular textures

Modified flight model (VTOL)

Cheers

Southy

US Navy       (grey)

Multi weapon loadout:

I have some questions regarding the loadout; I'm sure you realize that the USAF, USN, and USMC don't use the AIM-132-

Are you also going to include versions armed with American standard-issue air-to-air weapons, such as the AIM-9X, and AIM-120 C/D's? Will you include the 25mm internal canon for the USAF version, and externally-podded gun system for the USN, and USMC varients?

It should also be noted that the F-35B cannot internally carry any air-to-ground ordinance larger than the GBU-32.

Finally, though it has not yet been officially cleared, all the varients will likely be internally/externally loaded with the GBU-39/40/42 SDB, as well as the Brimstone/Joint Air to Ground Missile ( When the US DOD finally decides what the JAGM will look like...  mad_o.gif )

And what of the SCALP/Storm Shadow EG?

Also, what of the aircrafts' stealth features? How visible will the plane be to the OPFORs' sensors, at beyond visual range?

US Navy       (grey)

Multi weapon loadout:

I have some questions regarding the loadout; I'm sure you realize that the USAF, USN, and USMC don't use the AIM-132-

Are you also going to include versions armed with American standard-issue air-to-air weapons, such as the AIM-9X, and AIM-120 C/D's? Will you include the 25mm internal canon for the USAF version, and externally-podded gun system for the USN, and USMC varients?

It should also be noted that the F-35B cannot internally carry any air-to-ground ordinance larger than the GBU-32.

Finally, though it has not yet been officially cleared, all the varients will likely be internally/externally loaded with the GBU-39/40/42 SDB, as well as the Brimstone/Joint Air to Ground Missile ( When the US DOD finally decides what the JAGM will look like...  mad_o.gif )

And what of the SCALP/Storm Shadow EG?

Also, what of the aircrafts' stealth features? How visible will the plane be to the OPFORs' sensors, at beyond visual range?

When I say it will come with USAF, USN, USmarines versions, the only difference for the user will be the colour schemes and whether it can VTOL or not.

(to correctly make the different versions would require extensive model re-work and that unfortunately is beyond my abilities at the moment)

all versions will come with internal 25mm cannons, no plans to use the external cannon on the USM version.(could be included later)

I'll change the name of the JDAM to GBU-32.(reduce damage etc)

I've kept the stealth features as standard BIS aircraft, I might make a stealth version (all weapons in the weapons bay 2 x GBU-32 and 2 x AIM-120) and alter this to be harder to detect BVR.

I didn't want to make country specific weapons for this plane so I will alter the naming rules to follow the US version, AIM 132 to AIM 120D.  (it could be something to come back to once the beta has been released)

SCALP/Storm Shadow EG would be a nice addition, but no plans at this time.

I'm trying to keep the first release streamlined for early delivery.

I'm also hoping to release the Su47 at that same time, to give the Opfor something to fight back with.

Southy

Nice !

Couple suggestions;

- wing tip and afterburner positions seem to be too far away from the plane

- Skin too shiny

- Does the real thing even have afterburners ?!

The timing of the vtol animation seems off vs. speed etc.

Just a suggesting, maybe have the vtol animation (especially the rear nozzle) linked to speed instead. Infact it would have to be a combination of speed and vtol animations, otherwise the nozzle would dip down in "level flight" as you slowed.

... or maybe make it the speed animation only, between say zero and 50 speed. Probably just as good.

Gnat @ Sep. 14 2008,07:04)]Nice !

Couple suggestions;

- wing tip and afterburner positions seem to be too far away from the plane

- Skin too shiny

- Does the real thing even have afterburners ?!

The timing of the vtol animation seems off vs. speed etc.

Just a suggesting, maybe have the vtol animation (especially the rear nozzle) linked to speed instead. Infact it would have to be a combination of speed and vtol animations, otherwise the nozzle would dip down in "level flight" as you slowed.

... or maybe make it the speed animation only, between say zero and 50 speed. Probably just as good.

I'll change the position of the afterburner/wingtip trails.

I'll reduce the shinyness (was on the 'to do' list)

F35 is still in basic testing but the afterburners have been tested a few times now (I assumed it had Afterburners, a quick google confirmed it).

The vtol animations, do work, it's down to how the pilot (me in this case uses the incorrect thrust level) from level flight select vtol, nothing will happen (if you keep full thrust on)until you slow to 180 knts then the vtol animations will start to open slowly.

Then it's just a case of juggling the throttle, when you slow enough the nozzel will be opened fully.  It's tricky to explain, but if you go full reverse thrust as soon as you hit vtol it produces the incorrect animation (in real life I guess you would die a horrible death).

Once people have had a play with it they will see what I mean, afterall VTOL aircraft are tricky to fly this is not exception  smile_o.gif

Cheers

Southy

PS i will take on board about the speed animation and have a few tests done today.

SCALP/Storm Shadow EG would be a nice addition, but no plans at this time.

Storm Shadow would be much appreciated if you find the time.