Sign in to follow this  
soul_assassin

Russian Airborne Armour Project

hm, aren't those 2 frontal MGs manned by the troops, not BMD's crew? huh.gif

Looks like parts of your specular map need to be toned down (some very bright shiny bits there), but other than that looks very good ! notworthy.gif

Gnat @ Oct. 05 2008,09:59)]Looks like parts of your specular map need to be toned down (some very bright shiny bits there), but other than that looks very good !  notworthy.gif

the specmap is a test as mentioned before.

hm, aren't those 2 frontal MGs manned by the troops, not BMD's crew?  huh.gif

Either way it'd be nice to have them. Put a bit more sting in the ole BMD. smile_o.gif

BMD-1/2 have crew of 2: gunner (he's also commander of vehicle) and driver. Frontal MGs are manned by soldiers.

well i tend to believe the plans and literature that I have

sittingplangj7.th.jpg

in:

RED - COMMANDER position

GREEN - GUNNER position

BLUE - DRIVER position

YELLOW -MG GUNNER position

PURPLE - OTHER SOLDIERS position

makes sence since everywhere it says that BMD transports 4 soldiers means that there is a crew of 3

Here is said that crew of BMD is 2 and other sits are for soldiers (5). Also when I saw BMDs by myself, I've never seen commander in them, only driver and gunner.

i also belieave that only 2 crew members manned BMD-1s, other 5 of them where caried as vdv troops (2 of which manned 2 frontal MGs...)

It is possible that initially the concept was to house the commander on the left MG but with war experience I guess the need to transport more became apparent so it became a gunner/commander combo. In any case I will make a crew of 3 as I believe it makes sence and would be logical for the soviet doctrine to implement this even though its possible this might have changed later ( come to think of it it perhaps that is why the left MG is welded shut for BMD2)

commander=group leader

In battle the APC commander leads the infantry group and the gunner takes command of the vehicle.

In ArmA a different solution has to be found.

I would prefer the gunner=commander solution.

Or just make 2 versions (put both in one config) of your BMD addons. So anybody can choose the version that fits best for each mission.

BMDs saw first combat experience in Afghan War. But on the earlier photos (early&mid-1970s) from military parades there were only gunner and driver in crew.

bmd1_21.jpg

commander=group leader

In battle the APC commander leads the infantry group and the gunner takes command of the vehicle.

In ArmA a different solution has to be found.

I would prefer the gunner=commander solution.

Or just make 2 versions (put both in one config) of your BMD addons. So anybody can choose the version that fits best for each mission.

That's exactly right! A VDV squad has 7 men in it - commander + 4 dismounts + 2 BMD crew members. It is up to the commander to determine whether he dismounts or not, but most of the time he would stay with the dismounts. Besides, there is not much that he can see from his position on BMD-1/2 anyways...

I really like DiFool's solution with 2 different versions. Hopefully it's not too difficult to implement.

Peace,

DreDay

now it makes even more sence to have 3 crew with commander on the left mG. He'll command the bmd and the dismounts if availiable. This way off ur playing as the commander u can still control the bmd even if you decide to go on foot. Thnx for the info u guys but I'll stick with the orignal planof 3 crew. To me it makes more sence and I think it will be more interesting for gameplay.

now it makes even more sence to have 3 crew with commander on the left mG. He'll command the bmd and the dismounts if availiable. This way off ur playing as the commander u can still control the bmd even if you decide to go on foot. Thnx for the info u guys but I'll stick with the orignal planof 3 crew. To me it makes more sence and I think it will be more interesting for gameplay.

It's your project and it's gooood!

One more question: the troops will sit only inside BMD or there will be some cargo places on the roof of vehicle?

I have thought about it, and I think it would be fucking cool to have but when I look back at how much trouble we had back at RHS when we first invented this system for the T- 55s I get shivers. I can't promise anything but I sure as hell try to scavange our old scripts from OFP.

What scripts do you need? Wouldn't placing cargo proxies, with proper animations, outside the vehicle hull help? huh.gif

What scripts do you need? Wouldn't placing cargo proxies, with proper animations, outside the vehicle hull help?  huh.gif

well not completely.

besides the proxies you need a complex system that allows the soldiers only sit on the vehicle if its in safe mode as the turret is locked. If its not fixed then u get the gun going to through the soldiers. Also you need to eject them if the tank goes into action mode or someone starts shooting at it. The biggest problem was getting it to function in MP.

To the best of my knowledge I dont know anyone that did this with tanks besides RHS on all its tanks back for OFP.

Ahh, yes. You're right, i totally forgot about the turret...prolly the result of me doing only non-combat vehicles biggrin_o.gif

What scripts do you need? Wouldn't placing cargo proxies, with proper animations, outside the vehicle hull help?  huh.gif

well not completely.

besides the proxies you need a complex system that allows the soldiers only sit on the vehicle if its in safe mode as the turret is locked. If its not fixed then u get the gun going to through the soldiers. Also you need to eject them if the tank goes into action mode or someone starts shooting at it. The biggest problem was getting it to function in MP.

To the best of my knowledge I dont know anyone that did this with tanks besides RHS on all its tanks back for OFP.

I think that most of the feature could be covered by unloadInCombat

But the maingun-lock for a turret depends on the turn-out of the driver position (lockWhenDriverOut ), if you do not want to use scripts.

Only thing that puzzles me, is that BI did not include the unloadInCombat in any vehicle  huh.gif

Only thing that puzzles me, is that BI did not include the unloadInCombat in any vehicle  huh.gif

They also didn't include SPG-9 huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]The biggest problem was getting it to function in MP.

Maybe the solution is to make 2 versions of BMD - fully scripted and more simple (with troops only inside vehicle).

i promise i will look in to it. I think its one of the ultimate visual realism things so if its possible without months development then maybe I will do it.

Specularity looks good from what I can see. Seems to be a bit of difference in the colours, especially near the sides of the BMD - not sure whether it's a texture or _AS map thing, and I know diddlyshite about real BMD paintjobs, but a bit more consistency with regard to the green might make it look a bit more uniform?

Keep it up, mate, I've got fingers and toes crossed that you can get them bow MGs working. smile_o.gif