Sign in to follow this  
EricM

OTOY and new Photoreal virtual World

I don't know if this is a scam, but it surely blows away everything I saw so far :

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008....e-cloud

There are other videos about the otoy guys demoing their engine.

The trick is that the graphics are rendered by clusters of high-end AMD video cards (server side) and you just receive the frames on your tiny desktop computer through highly efficient compression.

I don't know how responsive it is (they state a response time form 15 to 100ms) for a game like arma, but for a MMORPG this sounds awsome...

Thats incredible rendering. Its like the Sims v1000.

It will be very very interesting as to how it performs when millions of users are using it. If it does well then Second life will become redundant very very quickly.

I watched that video with an wide open mouth full of cookies. smile_o.gif

Very impressing stuff that is, but i agree with SHWiing that we have to wait and see how it performs in heavy load.

This is the Matrix boy... We just need the plug now...

Sure, how much will it bee?

But as good it looks, i`d rather play the Age of Conan once i`ve build me an new PC. wink_o.gif

I wonder how long all that took. Looks cool though.

I switched off at:

"every brick... ...is modelled"

Yeah, right.

I think he means that the brick walls have 3D depth, and are not solely a texture.

I think he means that the brick walls have 3D depth, and are not solely a texture.

All the same, if the guy presenting the vid doesnt know what he's talking about, the "oooh it's pretty" factor wears off nice and quickly.

It's called marketing and if you don't know jack it can impress you. Otherwise the whole thing just tripped my bullshit detector. And it reads off the scale.

Oh I dunno, maybe I'm an optomistic kinda guy, but considering how far digital graphics have come in the past twenty years, and the rate they are improving, this sort of thing doesn't really surprise me. Not that it isn't impressive, just sort of... inevitable.

I pity the poor bastards who have to model everything though!

some people here obviously seem to miss the point. Forget about silly 2ndLife kindergarden and think of the potential for a while.

OTOY is capable to render all this on the server side. All it takes for is a 240kps connection and a mobile phone, and you are ready to go. And no, the footage wasnt prerendered.

Approaches like this show us what the search engines of the future will look like. Do you realy believe a silly list of search-results is the end of the development chain? Certainly no! Just think of GoogleMaps as being a search engine itself, just with a different semantic approach.

The semantic web is about connecting information of different nature and this engine is a pretty damn good way of passing it to the frontend.

This might be the googleMaps of the future with tripple the amount of opportunities.

Right now Microsoft develops a software that is able to build 3D models of existing buildings just by searching the web for photos. Just mash up those two and a city like NewYork could pretty rapidly be automatically modelled..

I think these are pretty interesting news and I implemented it into my blog right away.

OK before people start getting carried away,

Shotgun being 'the one' in this virtual world tounge2.gif

but it does seem to be a huge feat in the way we use Global networks of computer or clouds to process, display and send information

Hi all

This is the important information

http://www.otoy.com/site/about_otoy.pdf

This is the key phrase:

Quote[/b] ]average 6-8 week development time line for games

That changes everything.

And the juicy technical part

http://www.otoy.com/site/otoy_white_paper.pdf

More here

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sIwYpElarCk&eurl=

Jeezlouis imagine the interface capability this gives! Direct imput from human movement.

Kind Regards walker

Hi all

Has anyone checked out the licensing?

Free if your developing free content; plus various deals, including something that looks like the ability to develop your free work into a comercial product!

Kind regards walker

Er, OTOY is actually the distribution network infrastructure, not the 'engine' like the lemmings prefer to fawn over.

The 3D tech-demo's everyone's fawning over actually are a 1-to-n aggregation of a render farm. Expanding that out into 'games' was covered up with the concerning suggestion of edge-oriented P2P, which imho is not really practical for a variety of reasons.

It's extremly stressing to listen to this guy... he puts an ahm after each word I have to turn the speakers quite loud to understand his accent...

Anyway looks interesting smile_o.gif