Sign in to follow this  
GuyKorn

Is anyone going to boycott bis add-ons?

What i wonder, is why they just don't release it to the public. How many people are there out there that arent invloved in a big mod already that are talented? Probably quite a few. What if Counterstrike was never created because Valve never released the code to them, because they weren't mainstream enough? They can't say, oh weve done a lot for the community, lets stop...

Well, yes, and I think that BIS has understood now that at least a part of the OFP community were dissappointed.

That's all we can do, and as sombody pointed out, bitching about it won't help. sad.gif

What I am getting severely pissed at are the stupid blokes that keep repeating that it is for the best: If BIS released oxygen to the public we would be invaded by The Evil Crappy Mods From Hell . That argument simply doesn't do it. We have had crappy maps ever since the game came out, and it hasn't ruined the game as far as I know. The same goes with add-ons. The server admins won't use the crappy mods, as they don't use crappy maps today.

BIS: We are sorry, but we will have to amputate your legs. We assure you, it is for your own good. We care.

OFP User: Great! Now I don't have to worry about walking away in the wrong direction! Thank you BIS!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 03 2002,19:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Note that BIS has every legal and moral right to remove the mission editor. They worked har on it for years. It would be benificial to the community if only good mappers would be allowed to do the mapping.<span id='postcolor'>

I disagree, comparing removing the editor with not releasing the 3D free is not a realistic view.

You've already paid for the existing editor and you can expect it to remain (the box actually says it includes an mission editor). It doesn't say includes 3D model tools.

So removing it would contravene the agreement you've accepted with Codemasters for the product.

However BI never "commited" to releasing the 3D editors "free" as part of their product. They have said they will release it under "Specific" agreed circumstances and have indicated they may release it freely later.

So why is a big issue? - they have said if you want it - ask.

I really don't think the mod tools are really that important. People were making missions before the mission editor came out, and now people are making new models without the official toos for the job. Has anyone seen the FAMAS and UMP by the Lost Brothers?

Am I the only one who sees the real issue? Were being cashed in on the resistance. Regarless if the mod tools are being released or not, we all have to buy the resistance to keep playing flashpoint, unless the new wehicles and improved net code are being releaced as a addon too.

I'm not going to boycott BIS's products. But I tell you this: I am not going to buy the resistance. Not a boycott, just not buying.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By the way, Puma, do you really believe that there are many mod makers in the OFP community that DON'T post on this forum? There's not that many, and they are the only people who will boycott the products.<span id='postcolor'>

The modmakers are not the ones boycotting BIS, it's the general active community. And there are a bunch of regular flashpoint playing people that do not read or post on this forum. A great portion of those people do not even know what the oxygen or the visitor is, and are completely unaware of BIS's decision not to release them to the general public. Those people probably do not boycott BIS's products, but perhaps they won't buy the resistance either. That would mean that they would stop playing. That means less people playing flashpoint. And it's already hard to find decent people to play flashpoint with.

And to think about this from a point of view of a person who's thinking about buying opflash, and starting to play online (people still are buying half-life).

"So I buy this Flashpoint CD 34eur, and that's it?

But I can only play it with myself?

To play in the internet I also need this resistance 20eur?

And the indepence lost, 30eur?"

You do the math.

GUYKORN

FUCK YOU LOSER.

you dont have the right to boycott BIS they have done so much and asked nothing in return, they give ADDONS for free, which they spent there own time on for no profit.

future addons wether they be free or charge for are welcome, they will make htis game better for everyone. If you dont like it then SCREW YOU.

NUFF SAID i thinks!

bye

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cpl_BOB @ Mar. 04 2002,00:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you dont have the right to boycott BIS they have done so much and asked nothing in return............<span id='postcolor'>

Wrong he does have the right to do this.

Is he/she making a sensiable decission is a different question.

Will it make difference if anyone does boycott their products - some how I get the feeling not any more.

Why do people feel the need to say this is the most stupid poll ever? Seems to me the sensible thing to do if you thought it was so stupid was no to contribute to it by adding a post.... tounge.gif

Oh, I voted no. I'm not entirely happy about the Oygen thing (I think BIS handled it rather poorly), but I enjoy OFP too much not to buy potentially great addons. I do hope, though, that the Resistance expansion doesn't make the game incopatible with non-resistance versions, could make MP a real pain in the ass. But, if that's the price of improved graphics etc., then, so be it.

Also, people DO have a right to boycott products if they want. Doesn't mean they are right, or that i agree with them, but people have a right to buy and not buy whatever they like, no matter what their reasons are.

I'm buying Resistance no matter what

I also gonna buy every other product BIS gonna ever release

I believe that BIS is the best game company out there and I trust them completely

If they gonna sell Oxygen and Visitor I'll buy that too (even if I can't model for shit)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cpl_BOB @ Mar. 03 2002,23:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">GUYKORN

FUCK YOU LOSER.<span id='postcolor'>

Please do not speak to other forum members like that, any repeat and your posting rights will be removed.

Errr, i, ummm, havent been around lately. Whats oxygen?confused.gif?

As i read these posts, i realized what oxygen is and i am glad that they arent releasing it. I've downloaded many missions that just plain suck or i gotta download all these other add-ons. And some of these missions dont even work. Would be nice to just give it to the few guys here that make ass-kicking missions that i can actually play and not fall asleep or download all these other things like a special ambulance. Screw that.

Keep up the good work BIS

Who would release the modeling and editing tools for a game when there are people who will buy addons.

As long as you are willing to buy addons from BIS, dont complain about them not releasing the editing tools.

I didnt buy red hammer, and I wont be buying independance lost or resistance. Nor will I purchase any other bohemia interactive studios software. BIS has lost their credibility in the online gaming community. The only thing keeping this boat from sinking is the editing community which was recently knee-capped by the fact oxygen wont be released.

Sorry to all you would be mod-makers, perhaps its a good thing however. Don't waste your time or creative ability on this engine.

I'm sorta Confused.

I do not know what the word "bopycott" means.

if it means I WILL BUY ADDONS FOR OFP, I selected 'no'

OIf it means to wareZ addons, i shoulda went with yes, so, can some1 tell me what boycott means?

Hell, they said they would release the modeling tools eventually, so I dont see what yer bellyachin about. And personally, I think its a good idea that for now they are screening any potential mods, because Ive noticed that alot of the custom skins and projects out right now look awful, and I dont want that sort of ugly crap perpetuating itself. You jackasses feel like BIS owes you something? cmon. They made the tools, engine, coding, everything, it belongs to them. Hence, they can do whatever the hell they want with it. Also, they have the right to sell those tools for a profit. this aint friggin Napster, guys. Occasionally you do have to pay for some things, and after only having to pay 39.99 for one of the best games ever, I dont mind payin a little more

cpl_BOB I didnt make this topic/poll to start a boycoot i jsut wanted to know what other poeple thought about it and F.Y.I. I dint vote yes i voted No becasue i think BIS made the right decision.

forgive me,, im just pissed off after seing people claiming that bis HAVE to give us the tools and that they are ENTITLED to them,,

damn that annoys

not that i can use them anyway lol

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Regarless if the mod tools are being released or not, we all have to buy the resistance to keep playing flashpoint, unless the new wehicles and improved net code are being releaced as a addon too.<span id='postcolor'>

I think it'd be rather unlikely that BIS wont be releasing a patch that'll make your 'standard' OFP copy compatible with Resistance. My best guess would be that they bring out a patch with the new netcode and maybe units, and that you'll have to buy the Resistance Expansion to get the new island and campaign. Only time will tell.... smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BIS has lost their credibility in the online gaming community. The only thing keeping this boat from sinking is the editing community which was recently knee-capped by the fact oxygen wont be released.<span id='postcolor'>

Did you actually READ that message from Marek? You know there's a huge difference between not releasing the tools, and releasing the tools to just MOD groups!

Stop talking crap.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Puma @ Mar. 04 2002,08:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The modmakers are not the ones boycotting BIS, it's the general active community. And there are a bunch of regular flashpoint playing people that do not read or post on this forum. A great portion of those people do not even know what the oxygen or the visitor is, and are completely unaware of BIS's decision not to release them to the general public. Those people probably do not boycott BIS's products, but perhaps they won't buy the resistance either. That would mean that they would stop playing. That means less people playing flashpoint. And it's already hard to find decent people to play flashpoint with.<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry, but I don't think this makes any sense at all. The general OFP playing public really wouldn't care about Oxygen. They might like to download new missions sometimes, but guess what? They already can! Just the mission editor is enough for that. The hundreds of thousands of people playing OFP who DON'T post on this forum aren't going to care that BIS isn't releasing Oxygen YET. They just want to play the game.

And my original point still stands: the current netcode is what's keeping so many people away! So when Resistance comes out, a lot of the purchasers will be playing MP because of the improved netcode. Like I said, the MP community will INCREASE with the release of Resistance.

Maybe off-topic,

but a practical issue:

If i've a little addon, not a complete mod!!, i think i can easily send it to one of the accepted mod-teams.

If it's ok; implementing a new feature, which should be an improvement; i'm sure it will be imported anyway.

Correct if i'm wrong.

Why the hell would you do something childish like this? You sound like the kind of person that just wants wants wants and is never satisfied.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think it'd be rather unlikely that BIS wont be releasing a patch that'll make your 'standard' OFP copy compatible with Resistance. My best guess would be that they bring out a patch with the new netcode and maybe units, and that you'll have to buy the Resistance Expansion to get the new island and campaign. Only time will tell.... <span id='postcolor'>

I think if BIS give away 60% of a commercial product so that it makes their older product compatible with the new, for free then without a doubt they deserve the crown of best games producer EVER.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You sound like the kind of person that just wants wants wants and is never satisfied.<span id='postcolor'>

*Gasp* You mean..a woman? wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And my original point still stands: the current netcode is what's keeping so many people away! So when Resistance comes out, a lot of the purchasers will be playing MP because of the improved netcode. Like I said, the MP community will INCREASE with the release of Resistance.<span id='postcolor'>

I think most people are staying away because it has no join in progress and because it can take a little while to get the game going even if you do connect when the host is setting up the mission. The netcode I have no problems with now. Vehicles move in a straight line correctly, enemies die straight after you shoot them etc, what more do you want?

I wouldnt call the netcode reworking 60% of the addon really tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wouldnt call the netcode reworking 60% of the addon really <span id='postcolor'>

I'm sure I read a post by Ondrej saying that BIS planned to completely re-do the netcode and remove all traces of the M$ Direct play rubbish? confused.gifCompletely new netcode would be 60% of the work IMO, plus you said maybe the addon units too, but I dont see why they give out them for free smile.gif

Then again....how much do you know about Resistance wink.gif

I know it has a prettttty motor bike smile.gif

Anyway get back to class mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Mar. 04 2002,14:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You sound like the kind of person that just wants wants wants and is never satisfied.<span id='postcolor'>

*Gasp* You mean..a woman?  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm, dont know about your women, but mine are always satisfied!  tounge.gif

darcslavegirl.gif