Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

New X-Fi drivers

Hello,

i would like to point out there are new non BETA drivers from Creative Labs for all X-fi cards ...

they should fix some of issues with ArmA (hw+EAX) sound so if You experience problems or want to use latest ...

feel free to visit CL support website and download the drivers

p.s. my ArmA seems to finally sounds 'correctly' now ...

now i really wish we can select number of ArmA 2D/3D sound channels manually ...

Does it fix the fps drop with loud sounds in hardware acceleration mode?

Ah this is great, i was going to post a thread asking a question about my x-fi but this thread seems like a good place to put it...

If using vista, which i've heard doesnt fully support EAX if the program is using DS3d, but if it's using OpenAL it's fine... you can use this ALchemy program to.. do something longwinded which basically fixes the EAX in directsound.

So in order to get it to run properly, with EAX, do i need to use the -openAL switch on the command line? does that switch even work anymore?

thanks, time to get thesen drivers anyway

A huge improvement.

Indeed! Fixed alot of the distance and object occlusion and overall ArmA sounds nicer now, thx thumbs-up.gif

I still have "underwater sounds" (extremely muffled sounds) if I enable EAX. Is that still normal?

Huge, really huge improvement for me.

I still have to see if some things could be better (forward played sounds while in some vehicles are still very soft) but actually now I am able to hear where I am being shot from which I could not in the past due to all sounds being to high or without direction (turning around would not give me a position since it always came from the middle).

Playing Arma is a much more enjoyable practise now smile_o.gif

Ah this is great, i was going to post a thread asking a question about my x-fi but this thread seems like a good place to put it...

If using vista, which i've heard doesnt fully support EAX if the program is using DS3d, but if it's using OpenAL it's fine... you can use this ALchemy program to.. do something longwinded which basically fixes the EAX in directsound.

So in order to get it to run properly, with EAX, do i need to use the -openAL  switch on the command line? does that switch even work anymore?

thanks, time to get thesen drivers anyway

ArmA uses OpenAL by default so you don't need to do that, and you don't need ALchemy.

Used Creatives autoupdate tool which gave me some new drivers, and a new console. Sounds totally different now, the sounds much crisper and the bass is more punchey (Check out my technical sound terms tounge2.gif)

Not into sound drivers these days. huh.gif

What do you suggest for XP + Audigy (1)`? Cheers. notworthy.gif

Good find, sounds MUCH better, my problem from before where everything got quiet except for bullet cracks seems to have abated.

Thanks for the tip Mustang and your first post. notworthy.gif

hm ive run into bad troubles here.

It seems the drivers are installed fine, yet no sound is to be heard.

I used DriverSweeper 1.5.5 to remove the old drivers first.

Installed SBAX_PCDRVBETA_US_2_18_000.exe as suggested by Mustang.

Strange thing is that the sound - volume dialog is completely non

accessible and grayed out:

volumebox.jpg

(large)

Windows device manager says that the sound card is installed correctly.

No messages in the event manager.

Any ideas? banghead.gif

That sometimes happens to me when i completly remove old drivers and install new, so with anything i just install over lol. But hope u fix it.  smile_o.gif

Im about to test now. yay.gif

Note new driver is not for the

XFI Xtreme Audio Notebook or the XFI Extreme Audio Either just so you know

Any ideas?  banghead.gif

Install the original drivers from the CD, and then install the betas over that. I know that with X-Fi drivers that's how it is suppose to be done.

Creative's drivers are even more problematic than Nvidia's..

Occasionally they even seem to screw things up after an install for no apparent reason and you have to start over crazy_o.gif

Install the original drivers from the CD, and then install the betas over that. I know that with X-Fi drivers that's how it is suppose to be done.

You mean without removing the drivers with driversweeper and any such program? Just let the new install remove the old drivers?

[edit]

Typo

You mean without removing the drivers with driversweeper and any such program? Just let the new install remove the old drivers?

Yes.

The drivers on the creative site are sometimes only updates meant to be installed over CD drivers. They don't include all the stuff from the CD online. And when something needs to be uninstalled, the installer for the newer drivers will do it for you.

It's unlikely that you will have problems by not using driversweeper or something like it. I never bother whistle.gif

well so far i must admit this is one of best (if not best) driver sets for X-fi cards i encoutered from Creative Labs

(once there was good beta like 1.2 year ago but that one got timebomb expire inside)

so i hope this is sign of 'some' changes in CL driver development