Sign in to follow this  
OChristie

How do you recreate Snow!!

Helllo,

I am working on a Snow based map, and i am not sure what to do to fully recreate it, is it just the sat and mask?huh.gif?

Will i need to change the 4 RVMATS in the Data folder and make it so that differenet textures are made??

I have no Idea,

Please can someone help me!!!

blackknight63

Technically you can't really make snow due to engine limitations. Making snow clutter doesn't work very well either, or so I've heard from a pretty pro guy that tried it.

Other than that, you'll have to OBVIOUSLY make your satellite look like it's snow and then add snow color map textures that correlate.... like usual.

Thank you, you always have a perfect solution, Thank You!!!!

No expert in any matter but i happen to have around 25 snow textures for my watkins map. Not that they are all that good ( is still havent exactly found what i need) but ya can pm me and i be happy to send you a zip file of it.

Technically you can't really make snow due to engine limitations. Making snow clutter doesn't work very well either, or so I've heard from a pretty pro guy that tried it.

What do you mean exactly by "you can't really make snow"? Once you texture it as snow, then what's the problem? huh.gif

"snow clutter"? Since the surface of snow is pretty much flat and could be done in a similar way to desert in terms of game-play, what kind of clutter would you need?

I don't create maps, I'm just curious.

What do you mean exactly by "you can't really make snow"? Once you texture it as snow, then what's the problem? huh.gif

"snow clutter"? Since the surface of snow is pretty much flat and could be done in a similar way to desert in terms of game-play, what kind of clutter would you need?

I don't create maps, I'm just curious.

it's technically near-to-impossible to make snow cause real snow is not a flat textured terrain smile_o.gif like ArmA do, adding some bumpmaps and nuff more.

so is the rock ambience, which is really deformed, a thing that is impossible to make in visitor

Yes, I made a snow map and there's no proper way to simulate depth, at least not over distance.

arma2008-02-2001-25-52-82.jpg

Also I got some weird lighting errors with desaturated texture, but might have been related to something else.

Yes, I made a snow map and there's no proper way to simulate depth, at least not over distance.

Also I got some weird lighting errors with desaturated texture, but might have been related to something else.

Yes snowland has its problems indeed. Although i aint sure what you mean with simulate dept. Keep in mind that estimate distance in real life snow environments and estimate dept there is just as problematic, so in that way it actualy is nicely simulated.

Been goofing around with snow tracks, gives better distance estimating.

img387....th.jpg

Umm... just tossing ideas about:

What if you made some clutter objects that were just flat polygons, say a couple of meters across and *slightly* umbrella shaped (and I mean very slightly, mostly flat in fact) and used a thick close clutter to have enough to cover the ground as well as be small enough to follow the ground's curves?

The effect over distance should be achievable by ArmA's standard grass effect that you see when distant units appear to be surrounded by a raised texture.

Isn´t it possible to create his own Texturefiles (the three paa files besides the RVMAT files in the Data Folder, I am just at work and cant remember the correct definition). It´s possible to open them in Photoshop, so isnt it possible to recreate own textures, like snow and / or other surfaces?

Isn´t it possible to create his own Texturefiles (the three paa files besides the RVMAT files in the Data Folder, I am just at work and cant remember the correct definition). It´s possible to open them in Photoshop, so isnt it possible to recreate own textures, like snow and / or other surfaces?

It's possible, as you can see on this short video :

http://www.dailymotion.com/cwmod/video/11316541

To me, the biggest problem is : making the dust created by the vehicles white.

There is an easy way (with different manipulations) to turn a "summer" island to a winter island (this one is the "Applegate Lake" from Opteryx) since you have the sources. I could explain how to obtain the same result if somebody is interested.

• Like 1

Some picks from the watkins i made

snowandrock

snow and unit and some trees

got also some realy nice snow textures if ya like.

The pic with units does not have the latest snow textures as the snow and rock btw. But it shows the trees/track.

I started finishing this island again as i got a new computer that kept me busy a bit:)

All textures made myself btw.

snowandrock

The pic with units does not have the latest snow textures as the snow and rock btw. But it shows the trees/track.

I started finishing this island again as i got a new computer that kept me busy a bit:)

Really nice ! Any tips for the tracks ? I would be very interested in that.

xmas_o.gif

Hello,

I have just created some textures by my self as well...but there are photographys only, so the end result is not as nice as yours. So I´d like to know whether you worked with specular, bumb and normal maps. If you did though so I´d like to know whre to get such a tool for my Photoshop from. I already got Kegeteys paa plugin, but not the needed one to create the specular maps.

I´d apreciate it if you could tell me.

regards

Memphis

snowandrock

Really nice ! Any tips for the tracks ? I would be very interested in that.

xmas_o.gif

Hey mate,

the tracks were made by Panda (on my request for Watkins)from 6thsense where i play. Its a pbo file that i can send ya. You can then use them as roads as normal. Works fine.

send me pm when ya want it. I am very delayed with watkins cause i have trouble with my new computer:(

Hello,

I have just created some textures by my self as well...but there are photographys only, so the end result is not as nice as yours. So I´d like to know whether you worked with specular, bumb and normal maps. If you did though so I´d like to know whre to get such a tool for my Photoshop from. I already got Kegeteys paa plugin, but not the needed one to create the specular maps.

I´d apreciate it if you could tell me.

regards

Memphis

Send me a pm where to send this to mate, is send ya a texture. I use gimp with normal map plugin.

If any of the winter map makers here is interested we can combine forces and deliver as a winter package. I also can need some some help with some stuff. So if some like to do that, please:)

I know this isn't my place to say anything since its not releated, so even in danger of some WL I am going to write this:

FWW2 mod is really in need of winter island and if somebody can freelance or donate to us (with proper credits of course) or maybe even join our mod we would be extremely gratefull. You could be giving us a big push that we need to get our mod closer to release, if you want/can help FWW2 contact me with PM or e-mail. Even smallest contribution welcomed, but of course we prefer bigger ones wink_o.gif

I must say that pictures in this topic are really beautiful and work is real topnotch, much better than I can do certainly. Keep it up, there is far too few winter maps for ArmA notworthy.gif

Gentlemen,

Just a couple of suggestions. I'm sure it can be done, as it was done in the some old OFP maps. Be the ability to have make it actually snow, that is to say have snow fall (from the sky to the ground) and the sound that is created when you walk on snow really helped me dismiss reality. Just a thought.

Gentlemen,

Just a couple of suggestions.  I'm sure it can be done, as it was done in the some old OFP maps.  Be the ability to have make it actually snow, that is to say have snow fall (from the sky to the ground) and the sound that is created when you walk on snow really helped me dismiss reality. Just a thought.

For the snow fall, we can use "NIM weather" addon which works real fine. For the sounds I don't know yet but I think it's possible to recreate it.

What a program to create norm and spec maps are u guys using. I´ve found a post here in the forum where someone told somethings about crazybump. I tried it out and it´s amazing, do u already know this tool?

get it here if you dont know this

Some of my custom textures created with Crazybump

Texture1 dry lake

Texture2 Gras

Texture3 Field

The images above were all made with a 2 Mpix Handycam, so they actually could be better by using a good digicam...or how did u guys did that?

And finaly a quick created snow texture (so the borderlines between the textures looks a bit ugly...but it´s just for testing)

Texture4 Snow