Sign in to follow this  
o3oDeath

Real Artillery 2 final

Real Artillery 2

This Addon converts the vannila ArmA D-30 and M119 into a manually controlled long range cannon with the ability to plot target data and use high angle trajectories up to 13 to 14 km.

Features:

Both HE and SABOT rounds

Fire direction control on every gun. Click on the map to  get distance, direction to the target and the topographical elevation of the target.

Screen of FDC and gun settings panel

Registration fire mode. Real time tracking of round. allows to make corrections to your fire solution on the fly.

Screen of registration fire mode

Balistics remain the same so any range tables that were made with the beta are still good to use.

Any missions made with the beta are still usable. Just remove the old fire control scripts from the mission. Or you can leave them, there should be no conflict with the old fire control and new fire control. The new FDC uses createvehicle "logic" ran locally, where the old used setpos on an invisible helipad. Two completely different scripts. all you have to do is put the gun on the map and play no additional scripting needed to use the fire direction control.

I was going to add a range table dialog but decided against it as it adds to the learning curve of the addon which is what I was aiming for. I didn't want it to be "idiot proof". I wanted it to have a steeper learning curve and to force team play.

Thanks to everyone for emailing me bugs and feed back and to those who helped me test it.

I recomend while firing the gun to change your control settings and adjust your mouse sensitivity all the way down for more precise aiming.

Real artillery 2 final

Change log

Fixed bug; eventhandlers were double stacking on the registration fire mode.

Removed Timed delay rounds.

Removed all un-needed config files for ammo and magazines. Both guns run on the same configs. 2 ammo classes and 14 magazine classes.

1.Integrated fire control scripts into the addon. No outside scripting needed for the fire control center.

Each gun has a fire control computer to plot it's own target data.

New user Interface integrating gun settings and fire control together

Changed reload time to 6 rounds per minute. The actual fire rate of the L119 / M119

Included public key

Any bugs or questions regarding this addon feel free to contact me at o3odeath@live.com

Feel free to use this addon any way you see fit

Question, does the AI still act like the AI when using this? Like say 2 AIs are manning the artillery and I call for an Artillery strike, does it provide support?

Quick note. In MPlayer, there is no sound of the inbound shell when your away from the gun. Would be nice to hear inbound

No Ai support. I thought long and hard about that and it is just beyond my ability at this point. When I started this mod I barely knew how to add a respawn script to a mission.

The main goal I wanted was to have

1. A gun that forced me to manually aim it.

2. actually fire the round so players get credit.

3. Have a steep learning curve so just not anyone could jump on it and use it like a pro.

I am going to start working on a version 3. I would love to build an artillery addon from the ground up. A paladin would rock. I just have to go through the learning proccess again with modeling and skinning and stuff.

Another thing I want to play with and I did briefly but put it on the back burner is to configure smoke rounds that explode on impact. and other ammo classes such as a bee hives, white phosphorus ect ect. This mod is a work in progress, hopefully I can eventually get it into a full addon a 155mm or 205mm or something.

I have played with the sound back and forth for some time. I just can't seem to produce the sound loud enough to not be abnoxious to the gunner at close ranges and audible to a spotter. That will be a priority for me in the next few weeks.

Nicely done mate. Pretty stuff

Jones, ask Mark (hifi) for some sounds..he'll b glad to help i guess

EDIT:

It is now really easy to find out where you need to shoot. I was able to take out a full static infantry squad @ over 6kms :P

Hi,

Yeah, like pufu says, I'll help with the sounds if I can, I did offer my services on the previous version's thread but I guess your a busy man so no worries. If I can help you, pm me.

Thanks for a great little addon mate...

Regards,

Mark XIII

another item to change which would add immersion is a more in depth loading sound. I was on youtube the other day watching an arty firing sequence. There is alot of yelling back and forth amongst the crew. I thought that kind of sound would be great to have for the loading sound. Just a thought.

Downloaded but haven't installed it yet.

Quote[/b] ]A paladin would rock.

Yes it would.  I would also like to see an M-198 and the M-777.

I have problem with this one. When I run into the editor and place for example M119 somewhere on the map, and run the game through the editor, the gun doesnt have ammo, anyone else have this problem ? Any idea how to solve it ?

Thanks.

EDIT: Forget it, I figured it out, you have to get off the M119 and enter it again, works like a charm. notworthy.gif

What experience do you have with this addon...? If I whant  8 guns blazing in a mp game do I need a player for each gun then, or is it possible that just one player uses it with AI gunners... (and how)?

- looking forward to hear your experiences... smile_o.gif

As he mentioned earlier...no AI support.   All player.

To be fair there has not been ANY artillery addons in ArmA that effectively used AI AND players.    The only successful attempt  at this was in OFP by the FDF mod and the COC UA pack in which they had AI and player capable artillery systems.  

This addon looks great and I believe is a great feat of scripting and a HUGE amount of work and talent.  However I am still waiting for someone to make the equivalent of the CoC UA type system that works well in MP and that the Ai can use (in addition to players of course).  

That is the holy grail of any artillery addon.

For those who disagree. Here is why:

Fact: Most players in MP games get board sitting around lobbing shells to some sector of the map they can't see. They would need to be drinking and/or catching up on school work or other things while waiting around. In Single Player missions likewise... it would get very boring lobbing shells and not seeing what happens to your target.

For that matter many players WANT to see a working Arty system, but they want to see the AI take command and call in fire missions (from the BIS arty units and/or 3rd party arty units). That way you actually see your artillery in action doing fire missions if you're in the rear and you can go and hunt down enemy artillery. Granted some of this can be scripted by a skilled mission maker, but it's not the same since so far all the AI artillery scripts do not actually use the artillery pieces in-game. They just spawn shells over a target.

That's kinda lame.

Anyways...I'm not saying this addon is lame. It's actually alot of great work. I just hope that skilled scripters/addon makers will develop arty systems like this into more mature arty addons that the AI and players can use in SP and MP missions.

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

@ o3oDeath

I have install it and find it a great improvement.  I really do like, and plan to use it in a upcoming mission for my unit. I love the Fire Control Center, the registration on/off feature.  I very nice to see the range, elevation and other info of the round flight path.  I was wondering if there could be a way to "Lock" a Battery together so you has the player fire one Arty Piece and the others in the batter would fire at the same time, on the same set of Coordinates? Maybe in the next update, if you every plan to do one it would be nice to have a few different rounds.  But I till love this one.

@ All others

I do understand Chris feelings regarding the OFP COC UA Pack, it was indeed an awesome addon.  But with time, I'm sure someone maybe even o3oDeath, may come up with that Holy Grail.  Till then, I think this is the best out there.

To be fair there has not been ANY artillery addons in ArmA that effectively used AI AND players.

There have been a few addons which have attempted to fill the huge gap in game-play that is bafflingly still present in Arma, the lack of artillery.

As for my own meagre efforts, it's the fact that UA1.1 was so great that it kind of put me off, knowing that I'd never get even close.

I just hope that skilled scripters/addon makers will develop arty systems like this into more mature arty addons that the AI  and players can use in SP and MP missions.

Of course neither of these addons are MP friendly, yet  wink_o.gif . But they are as you rightly wish for, player controlled through a forward observer and AI fired. Having the AI call in the arty was usually mission-scripted in UA1.1 too (Counter-battery excluded).

If you haven't already, I'd recommend a play around with VIper's artillery. Granted it's SP only, but it does offer genuine indirect fire support, not camcreated shells.

And you'd be surprised who'd think it was fun to blast away at unseen enemies, racking up your kills pistols.gif