Sign in to follow this  
mr.g-c

The "Love for Details" suggestion-thread

You can't have it all, there has to be a default setting for the AI to continue waypoints or not after their transport has been destroyed.  smile_o.gif

I thought this is the "details" topic? smile_o.gif

The default setting could be:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">If waypoint = search and destroy with helicopter & helicopter = destroyed then find best way to get ass = out of here.

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

Well actually, such AI-Enhancements authors have proved that it is possible to do this.

DAC or GP2Plus for instance, in which the AI used vehicles to bypass longer distances, calling artillery and reinforcements and countless more.

Of course, something like this "hard-coded" into the engine means that the whole mission-design must be changed as it can end totally unpredictable.

Regards, Christian

crazy_o.gif

Yes you can open doors in ArmA, you just have to have the following in place:

* Doors modeled

* Doors selectioned

* Doors animations model-config'd

* User actions config'd

You could do that even in OFP, it's hardly a 'z0mg secret VBS hax'. It just takes time and effort.

Windshield wipers in all fairness is a bit trickier. You could in theory make the windshield a hidden selection and swap screens based on the state of a var controlled by a useraction and checking the weather, though you might run into z-buffer alpha-sorting, not sure. It would definitely go wonky if you tried to stack multiple hiddenselection alpha's to create a pseudo-blend.

I know its possible to mod openable car doors in OFP/ArmA, but I was not refering to mods. I was refering to the dev version of the game and simply saying since we can't even open doors (something thats much easier to do, but not in the game), its unlikely the devs would add wipers.

And how/why would the dev's do it any different? Unless you're referring to a hope/expectation that every last bit of functionality was modeled in place in the delivered version.

Marek and Ondrej have both made repeated comments explaining that they have to make practical business decisions limiting how much work can be done, to maintain budgets and schedules. Ultimately, a whole lot of people are going to be 'unsatisfied' in one direction or another, because at some point you have to close the project and move on.

Them's the facts of life in the gaming market. I suppose that if BIS focused more of their attention on additional point-release content, there could be more shiny, but at the cost of decreased budget for on-going maintenance and patches etc.

With game market development, you have to beg and borrow your money up front, which comes with all sorts of strings attached. Those limitations then get transposed into content deliverable limitations.

One of the points made by codemasters in their presentations is this whole foundation. Basicly, while they're not admitting they're evidently still having issues getting the rendering system shiny and stable with heavy loads, they have emphasized that they've shoveled truckloads of cash to create exponentially more content variety. There's no innovation there yet in tech that they're bragging about that doesn't already exist to a degree in ArmA, early prototype tech demos, or even OFP for that matter.

That's one of the problems with the traditional business model, it may have worked in the past, but now it breaks down with newer projects because they're too big for that system.

Dude your really reading way to much into what I was originally saying... I was just pointing out to Casimir, that since nothing else on cars other then lights works, its very unlikely there would be working wipers. Thats it...

My only other point was that early game2 previews said doors/hoods would be fully functional, and I do believe they are in VBS2... so its possible they would in fact be in Game2.

Where you got into this debate about how they would actually be done, or big business debate is really beyond me icon_rolleyes.gif

VBS2 uses the ArmA engine, not the ArmA2 engine. There is no reason why you can not put doors, animations, and user actions in on ArmA vehicles. Many have done so already, read the addons in progress and released threads.

The only reason then why more doors are not implemented would then be a time/money business decision. If an artist is making doors, then they are not making a new object, or fixing bugs with another. Community modders can say "when it's done", businesses can not.

Hoods would be no different at all.

A detonator? *click*

confused_o.gif .

edit:

Okok... a fire mode selector on the rifles. I dont like it when my firemode resets after i use the binoculars or having to cycle thru grenades, satchel charges and all that just to select the firemode for my rifle.

Hi, will be (it'll had been) a "nice detail" by BIS to allow us to walk

with the hand gun in the hands without adopt the "ready to fire"

possition and allow us to walk with the side weapon in the hands

on the "on guard/ready to fire" possition.

Also, it would be nice if we could have better transition anims when

we have a hand gun equiped; there're many stupid issues with it,

when we've the hand gun and then switch to the AT weapon or even

to the binocs. And by the way... the Binocs should work as another

scoped weapon, don't be able to move when we've the LD or the

binocs equiped is completly pointless and shouldn't be that way. Let's C ya

A just got a nother one...

- working Fuel-Meters in Vehicles... Its not so hard to do and addon-makers like the Felicia-Team showed that it's working and its a AWESOME little detail, especially for civillian focused RPG games.

Include:

-Releasable spoon on appropriate grenades.

-Ability to throw grenades back (even if it's a short under-handed throw to just get it around the corner or over a burm, ect).

GTA 4 managed to stop rain under shelter well. one detail which i like the sound of (and is confirmed) is the new animals, if there accurately portrayed IR optics in this game we could see commando's hiding behind cows when a tank is near.

I didn't find a animations thread but i guess it could go into the love for details things.

I wish for A.i's and players that when they use radio commands they would use a hand to push a button on their radios and when using artillery and higher leaders if they have themselves or another unit in their team has a big radio they could go up to it and hold a radio phone to the head and speak the coordinates for artillery or airstrikes or other support options.

Would add immersion thumbs-up.gif

Hi, another "nice detail" will be to remove the damn camels from the

aircrafts list; those don't have ANY place in a modern battlefield.

If a recon or various recon aircrafts were needed, then AN-2 for

the eastern side, OV-10D for the USMC and maybe a Sandy or a

stolen AN-2 for the resistance could have a place in the game; not

those pointless WW-I planes that shouldn't had been in the ArmA

from the begining, BIS should remove 'em, that will be for me a good

detail. Let's C ya

i dunno i think its a fun plane to have for civies and stuff.

The game would be really boring if you only had military objects and units in it smile_o.gif

also i think the camels are just miscelanous stuff , like easter eggs in some games, mods.

Sort of like in old counter-strike maps where the creators had hidden a picture with their logo , name or just some random picture that was out of place from the design of the map/ level biggrin_o.gif

I know that sometimes as a graphics artist you can get bored of your work and you want to do something else for a while after doing the 19th weapon model. So you make something different like i believe Bis made the camels... whistle.gif

But the history of the camels go way back to Operation flashpoints resistance expansion where they first time apeared and then they made a move to Arma.

So i wouldn't be suprised at all if they made them for Arma 2. biggrin_o.gif

Got another ones as eye candy:

- Realistic behavior of ejected casings.... currently like in Arma1, they always look the same and indicate in the same direction when ejected from the Rifle. This is Unrealistic!

However the BAS Guys for instace have made a addon (which will be in one of the most anticipated Arma-mods soon) in which the casings fly out and rotate like in RL. This looks so awesome and adds a bit to the athmosphere.

Would be nice to see that in Arma2....

- Eject of big casings from Russian Tanks. I remember Reador has scripted that for OFP some time ago and its great. So after evey shot of a T90s Main Gun (fo instance), a empty shell is ejected out of a small hole on the back side of the tank and then rolls over the tanks back and finally falls on the ground, staying there for some seconds...

Hah, just was about to type here about those empty shells. biggrin_o.gif

Also would be cool if they did make the "cling" sound when they hit the ground (depending on the material they fell on tho) and stood there for a while. This is even possible in ArmA with a workaround so shouldnt be a problem for developers to implement it.

- working Fuel-Meters in Vehicles... Its not so hard to do and addon-makers like the Felicia-Team showed that it's working and its a AWESOME little detail, especially for civillian focused RPG games.

as far as I was aware, all the BIS vehicles have working fuel guages huh.gif

as far as I was aware, all the BIS vehicles have working fuel guages  huh.gif

Skoda? Datsun? Hilux?

I'm sure there's more smile_o.gif

the ones that count then... there are working fuel gauges in vehicles is more the point (yes, shush, I should have double checked on the the random vehicles)

I'm not quite sure whether his gripe was that there are no working fuel gauges period (which is untrue), or that BIS didn't feel the need to add something rather insignificant to all the vehicles (although I agree its an easy thing to add, so why they chose not to is up to them)

I have read some things about interaction with civilians (from BIS), but I don't think this has been said yet, so I'll say it now:

I would like to see refugees, doing what refugees do, sheltering, fleeing, putting out their burning houses etc, and have the tactics and weapons you can use in situations be limited because of their presence (not the missionmaker not including them, but rather having them included but not being able to use them because of the risk of civilian casualties).

As for the moral aspect, Call of Duty 2 had a system where you were allowed to shoot 1 friendly in an intense combat situation and none in a non-combat situation before it was game over. This could even be taken as far as actually shutting down the game when the rule is violated, and/or imposing penalties on the player (like being thrown back a few missions (if in a campaign), losing your primary weapon, having less friendly Ai, make the neutral Ai more hostile towards you etc), as a form of punishment.

I would almost say that this implemented in one form or another is mandatory, as it's such a major part of Western military thinking.

What if I want to play as a member of a bunch of Eastern Bloc types dukeing it out without worrying about where those artillery rockets land?

Hi, Gsleighter, that will be the same as play as USMC and call in Air

Support over a not confirmed hostile possition/house on Fallujah

or just execute the habitans of the closer house to where an IED

killed one or more men of your squad; that's up to the mission maker

what and how you want to fullfill your mission until get back home

to base.

I prey to God for have by default all the MBT's, APC's & ICV's spitting

shells as they do in the real life, that scares you by giving you an

idea of all the death in lead form that they've put on the air to kill

someone; just check this video:

if you ever get to see that firing at the houses where you're covered...

im sure that that will scare you as much as three M-60A3 MBT's

shooting everything at your possition or just to the next house

(soon ruins...) where you and you're squad gonna have to pass. Let's C ya

Oh, god, some of you guys are touchy. I'm not making any political statement, I was responding to JdB's comment about western thinking in military operations. I'm not at all suggesting that only eastern bloc countries commit atrocities, so please, let's not drag the international politics thread in here.

Hi, i think that will be a very very "lovely detail" to have some BTR-T

or BMPT on the OPFOR side, so "i suggest BIS..." to add one of this:

To the game, i miss alot the OFP LAVOS/PSC's & MAA's BTR-T's as

well as theyr MT-LB's that as we've seen on TV... those rusty pieces

of iron still in service and hell i love to blast off some of 'em like in

"the good old times".

And about the military "thinking..." this is the only military thinking

that i know: "those with your colours (=uniform) go 1St, then the rest".

Simple but use to work if you don't screw it up too much. Let's C ya