Sign in to follow this  
mondkalb

Grenada (OUF)

@OUF Team:

My mod will cover this area and a campaign/ map of Grenada is planned. Why not joining up with me (USMC mod) and the Project '85 team.

Of course we won't do own US-Soldiers! Why redo excellent work that has been done before?

Thats the reason why we split the mod into two parts: The Island, and the campaign.

@mpantel

I received your pictures, thanks a lot!

As you may've seen with your own testings, the island texture is a huge thing of work, I had to make pictures in Virtual Earth from the whole Island (A single picture covered ~ 300x100m of the island) and had to remove each and every house and other nasty things from the texture.

@OUF Team:

My mod will cover this area and a campaign/ map of Grenada is planned. Why not joining up with me (USMC mod) and the Project '85 team.

Of course we won't do own US-Soldiers! Why redo excellent work that has been done before?

Thats the reason why we split the mod into two parts: The Island, and the campaign.

@mpantel

I received your pictures, thanks a lot!

As you may've seen with your own testings, the island texture is a huge thing of work, I had to make pictures in Virtual Earth from the whole Island (A single picture covered ~ 300x100m of the island) and had to remove each and every house and other nasty things from the texture.

is there anything that needs to be done for the campaign that isn't covered by the P85?

The US Marines on Grenada were still wearing M1 steel pots -

and in many cases old OG 107 fatigues, none of which I think

those "Project 85" figures have (AFAIK - I don't follow that

mod' project very closely).

Are you making members of the Caribbean Peacekeeping

Force too? A lot of the stuff I'm currently making for

my "Spearhead" thingy would be directly useable for them.

Edit: Sorry, it was the Rangers who were still wearing OGs.

We have made guys in old M1 helmets, and Pasgt vests over the T-shirts. The initial thought behind that was to use them as artillery crewmen.

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111....MG]

What we have now looks like ->

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/vilas/screens/p85/85_18.jpg

With a little paste/copy on the existing models a desired look, faithfull to the Grenada one could be achieved.

Regards

Topas

When this is completed I would like to invite people for a mp "campaign", will probably have 100/100 mbit for 10 euro a month in August (can upgrade now, but won't be home during summer)..

anyway long story short.. I will make a dynamic campaign if there is intreset in it. Even if its a bit early now.

But I hope somehow the OUF might be able to be standalone.. because just a island will all objects will probably easily be over 1 gb the P85 can only guess but probably several gb.. well, what do I know. first island and then their campaign and addons is a later problem i guess.

We have made guys in old M1 helmets, and Pasgt vests over the T-shirts...With a little paste/copy on the existing models a desired look, faithfull to the Grenada one could be achieved.

Yes, some of those would certainly serve as a good start for

making toy soldier figures authentic to that operation.

"URGENT FURY" is interesting from a modeller's point of

view because of the mixture of clothing and equipment used

by the several various US forces (to say nothing of the other

forces involved). Things like the M81 camouflage patterned

clothing was quite new at that time, for instance, as was the

kevlar helmet (which was used by the Army infantry).

Thanks for the memory refresh... I was actually referring to Haney's book as well. I do remember it was the MH/UH-60's that got shredded on the ingress. I am fairly sure there were other casualties mentioned, more serious than the toothpaste explosion. In any case, it was one of the few documented SFOD missions that were written by one of the participating operators.

Yes, and Haney was afterwards castigated by many for going

into print with it.

I passed the book onto my father some time ago too, so I

was citing that from memory. The toothpaste explosion must

have been remarkable to Haney too since I seem to recall

that he described it at some length. No doubt there were

other men hit too. I didn't mean to dismiss those.

Looking forward to this release! The map looks great.

Aren't there restrictions in this forum on posting the entire pictorial content of copyright works?

first island and then their campaign and addons is a later problem i guess.

Yes, first the island, than the campaign and other stuff.

Aren't there restrictions in this forum on posting the entire pictorial content of copyright works?

Posts with the links in question removed as well as posts with 'nonsense'.

Not too sure. I haven't seen any update since his last post here in mid-May. There's really only 2 ways to answer that I guess, either there has been progress or there has not. Hopefully the former rather the later. whistle.gifbiggrin_o.gif

We are back again, still with an ugly logo...

However:

Here we have a video of our lovely Grenada:

http://files.filefront.com/Grenada....fo.html

(You can also download it there and then watch it in High-Res at 840x524px)

So far we've got a roadnet of approximately 60km which is still growing. Also some cities, towns and plantations are finished, but this Island is still far away from being finished.

Of course lots of coustom objectas have been made (eg. ~60 different Roadname-sings. And yes, Fakestreet 123 has already been placed. biggrin_o.gif)

And here are some new Pictures from the Airport, Gouyave and Victoria:

Map of Grenada

Picture #1

w1680.png

bild3dm3.th.jpg

bild4nk0.th.jpg

bild5bo9.th.jpg

bild6sk7.th.jpg

bild2aw6.th.jpg

Airport

this looks absolutely wonderful!

cant wait to remake some scenes from the movie "heartbreak ridge" biggrin_o.gif

btw, do you have a slight oppinion on where the marines in "heartbreak ridge" fought?

Korea is a just little too big to make it in ArmA...

good work.. small special objects like the "drive on left in grenada" makes so much for the "feeling".

Keep it up! smile_o.gif

Well... after some time two new pictures of the City of Santeurs. WIP of course.

grenada148nm.jpg

grenada2a951.jpg

grenada3ibgw.jpg

Grenada will still take some time, because I am the only one working on this project...

So I'm going to finish Santeurs, fixing minor config bugs and the Layer-Texture, and then I'll turn this huge island into an Community-Project.

Ill provide the Island as it is, with huge empy spaces and many.. many many unfinished cities. But, since the Mapfact 3DE has made Islandediting a lot easier, you can, if you want, build up a city, town, or random location, and then send the saved 3DE Project file to me, so can put this on the finished island and release a final-version of Grenada.

I'll report in later...