Sign in to follow this  
william1

Flares countermeasure system standalone addon

so, why not use mando missiles and his chaff/flares system ?

it works fine, MP/SP/XEH

Mando missile is very good a sofisticated indeed, this solution is more simple so you don't have to modify every mission for it to work , it works automatically yay.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock

i think you are exaggerating a little..  crazy_o.gif excluding units is very simple , and you can exclude by groups , putting the classname of the unit from wich the rest of the units inherit

Im not exaggerating at all.

I have 48 aircraft in my main addon folders, these include publically released stuff and private work form RKSL and other teams.  Out that lot about 20 don’t need or have flares.  Another 5-10 have their own flare system; which your flare system conflicts with. I.e. 2 sets flare scripts run/try to run at once.

I have a further 6 UAVs, 5 Civil airliners from various people all that don’t need flares.

So I spend X amount of time searching out class names of all these addons to make all them compatible with your flare.pbo?

NOW, IF you have added flares to the default BIS aircraft classes rather than just the Plane and helicopter classes IE A10, UH60 etc there would be no conflicts. And people could choose to add their own aircraft in and no one would have to edit anything. There would be no openings for cheating, no conflicts and all the "happy addons can play together in peace".

that may be your particular case but not the major part of the community, apart from BIS chopper/planes , there are really few XEH compatible addons in wich the flares system works

Not at all I am thinking about the greater community, we had this with OFP some years ago and once the change was made there was no issue. No conflicts at all.

anyway is impossible to satisfy all people so i have to think in wich is the best for the majority , regards  smile_o.gif

I’m trying to help you try.  Right now you are getting lots of “OOOO, AHHHH, COOL!†but in a few weeks when people start using this addon with other mods in serious gamplay then you are going to get “your flares screw up XXXX modâ€.  I’m only trying to help you make sure the addon works in the best possible way so it remains useful and doesnt become a serious problem further down the line.  I'm sorry if you can't see that.  I really am.

- apart from BIS models , i only have 4-5 custom planes , only 1 of them is XEH compatible , i'm sure is the case of the 90% of the comunity

- i think is the same work adding than discarding , same possibilities of cheating and same having to edit a file.

- you can be so sorry if you want , you really don't have to , i just do this for fun and i'm not going to have any hard time with anything related to a Pc game smile_o.gif

i'm sure some people will use this addon and some not , that's life , like Voltaire said.

regards

william1, RockofSL is simply pointing out that you should explicitly apply the scripts to default BIS vehicles, then create provisions to enable it on other addons/mods where necessary.

Whether you want to do that or not is up to you. smile_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
- apart from BIS models , i only have 4-5 custom planes , only 1 of them is XEH compatible , i'm sure is the case of the 90% of the comunity

You aren’t looking to the future are you.

- i think is the same work adding than discarding , same possibilities of cheating and same having to edit a file.

You just haven’t understood what ive said have you.  Just to make it easy for you: If you were to edit the flare.pbo to reference the default BIS aircraft and NOT the base classes of “Plane†and “helicopter†then addon makers and users will not have to edit their own files to make their addons compatible with yours.

- you can be so sorry if you want , you really don't have to , i just do this for fun and i'm not going to have any hard time with anything related to a Pc game  smile_o.gif

I’m sorry for you because you obviously just don’t understand… or is it give a shit about anyone else?

i'm sure some people will use this addon and some not , that's life , like Voltaire said.

As General Michael Rose said, “Some people are too stubborn to see the helping hand in front of their face… All you can do faced with people and conditions such as these is to stand off until they realise their own mistakesâ€

william1, RockofSL is simply pointing out that you should explicitly apply the scripts to default BIS vehicles, then create provisions to enable it on other addons/mods where necessary.

Whether you want to do that or not is up to you. smile_o.gif

thanks Franze , although RockofSL doesn't believe it i understood him from the start smile_o.gif

i'm doing exactly the contrary , i apply the flares to all chopper/planes and have created a provision to discard those addons you don't want to use the flares. ( for wich is not neccesary that addon makers and users have to edit their own files to make their addons compatible with mine. )

@RockofSL : i understand… and give a shit about what anyone else thinks, just that i have my own opinion and critery as you have yours , only for that i'm not stubborn or blind or whatever.

Quote[/b] ]You aren’t looking to the future are you.

the future is arma 2 and is just around the corner yay.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock

thanks Franze , although RockofSL doesn't believe it i understood him from the start smile_o.gif

I still don’t believe you understand what I am saying.

i'm doing exactly the contrary , i apply the flares to all chopper/planes and have created a provision to discard those addons you don't want to use the flares. ( for wich is not neccesary that addon makers and users have to edit their own files to make their addons compatible with mine. )

You have created the most work intensive exclusion system possible. It may be simple for you but its going to cause problems for others. And that my friend is a very selfish approach to addon making.

@RockofSL : i understand… and give a shit about what anyone else thinks, just that i have my own opinion and critery as you have yours , only for that i'm not stubborn or blind or whatever.

I think you are. Not to mention lazy. The fix I have suggested will take you 5 minutes. But for the rest of us to do what you suggest will take us a while lot longer.

the future is arma 2 and is just around the corner yay.gif

That corner is still many months away, and in the mean time there will be a lot of addons out there that this will conflict with. Not to mention Franze’s F-18.

Franze F-18 is not (at the moment) XEH compatible, if one day is , you only have to put "fz_f18abase" in the exclude entry of the flares_config_hpp , yes yes ... i know thats a lot of work , but with some phisical training everything is possible

Guest RKSL-Rock
Franze F-18 is not (at the moment) XEH compatible, if one day is , you only have to put "F18" in the exclude entry of the flares_config_hpp , yes yes ... i know thats a lot of work , but with some phisical training everything is possible

I'm guessing you have atleast one arm that gets plenty of exercise. It might even explain the short sightedness too!

After reading through this thread, i have to admit that in all honesty William1 your own logic is ending up going to be just "your own" .

The extra work added by modders to work "with" the scene really goes along way. I see that your pretty casual about it and don't take offense etc which is good.

In all honesty .. the opposite of your logic would be great for "everyone" in the end mate. biggrin_o.gif

Instead of giving someone hassle and slamming their work, which is basically what I have read in here, why not offer something constructive here instead???

The idea of an all-encompassing flare addon is a damn good one, especially if it can be made to be MP compatible, as IMO this is really NEEDED.

Mention made of 'other addons with flares etc.' conflicting...

Remember JAM?

Instead of embedding these flare dispensers into multiple addons, and all working differently, why not take William1's idea a stage further for the benfit of ALL ?

A single co-ordinated effort to build an addon that can be used by many other addons to give them flares etc. would make far more sense that all this bitching that keeps all the different flare systems embedded and hidden inside of other addons. If such an addon could also be enabled for the default aircraft too, AND to name other aircraft in the hpp would make sense.

I think you're BOTH right TBH, enabling for default aircraft is a good idea, with others add-able via HPP.

New addons such as RKSL are playing with could call on the addon directly, meaning that the hpp editing would be unnecessary for new addons, AND CONFLICTS WOULD BE AVOIDED...

Other existing addons could also easily be modified in their next version as the flares addon would do most work for them.

SO: a challenge - does anyone give a shit 'enough' to get a universal flares addon, MP compatible, working and running? Could some of the code from other folks flares stuff HELP this to happen?

Would BI or others be the best folks to make this happen and work well for all vehicles old and new?

Would a simple 'decoy' object be possible to redirect the homing missile without BI's assistance for the pre-existing missiles/target locks?

Someone may know the answer to that question already?

RockofSL is right, I really think you should follow his suggestion.

By applying it to the base classes, it is being applied to all aircraft, some of which should not have flares. You can't expect all ordinary ArmA players to modify the addon to make all of their addons work with this.

By doing as he suggests, addons will not conflict with this and players will not need to do any modifications themselves.

You can either leave things as they are and see the problems this will cause for yourself, or fix it now and things should be fine.

Right now, if some addon maker releases a new civillian chopper, it will have flares when running with this mod.

Or a WW2 plane. Is a Mig-15 suppose to have flares(I'm not sure on that)?. Because now the Mig-15 addon will. As well as the civilian planes that are available.

Really, there are no downsides to this fix. I don't see why you want to do it that way. If an addon plane should have flares, then it's up to the addon maker to add them. You could add support for current addons like the F16 by simply adding their classes in the same way as you would add the BIS classes.

It's a simple fix, please do it to avoid the chaos smile_o.gif

OK , you win , new version 1.2 out. I've taken in count the suggestions of the people in the community that knows more of these matters than me smile_o.gif check first post.

only BIS choppers/planes ( except camel and DC3) enabled by default .

You can add any new 3rd party chopper/plane you want via editing the HPP file.

You can disable any BIS class of the already enabled by deafult in

the HPP file.

Full documentation of "how to" included in the rar file. feel free to ask any doubt you have.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THis is what has been missing in ArmA since the beggining!!!!!!!!!!!!

So for someone like me that doesnt understand this fully. Am i correct if i say that: If an addon maker creates an air-vehicle and he/she decides to add flares to it - it will get flares through this addon, and I dont have to add it myself?

I want realism, and i understand that i CAN add it to all vehicles, but just wondering if they can be added by the addon maker without me having to add it myself.

William1: Thanks for this add mate! This has been longed for wink_o.gif

Regards

Alex

you are welcome, but answering your question, if an addonmaker decides to add flares to his plane, most probably is it uses his own flares system , so it would work automatically too. only in the case the plane wouldn't have its own flare system , you could add it with this addon-supossing it would be XEH compatible

So in MP like domination if i join a server and only i have this addon. That will crash the server or? If my helicopter dogde a missile and the rest see it crash (as normal without this addon) - that should mess something up right?

/Alex

Ok, can someone tell me how to get trough this:

Installed the flares addon on my Arma which is currently running with patch 1.12.

Already have installed the XEH v1.7 but not ECS mod.

Result: no flares are deployed by any of the bis helis when missiles are shoot them nothing happen, simply the helis get hit by missiles and crash on the ground!!!

Is someone experiencing the same? huh.gif

did you put Flares_config.hpp in you Dta folder of the Arma root directory ?