Sign in to follow this  
EDcase

Ex-mil players?

Ah damn. Reservist thread anyone? biggrin_o.gif

Baddo: One of the best moments for me was last summer, when our squad formed all-around defence to one important crossroad and bit later our company commander says by radio to us that squad strenght Opfor unit wearing chilliesuits (röllipuku) has been seen to be moving towards our crossroad and one frianfly patrol is following them from distance. We set up ambush to get them in between us. Eventually after few hours of waiting our friendly 3 men patrol comming to us triggered their ambush just 20 meter away from us (they though it was us as we wore same suits with opponents). In few seconds it was over and friendly patrol was erazed and opponent's reconsquad went missing. We had joyful night after that as we spent it by sweeping local terrain in hopes to find them (or trigger their ambush again) or atleast harash their job. I saw chillied suited profiles (=bushes) quite a deal.

Infact opponent wasn't chillie suited and there were just 2 guys... and they leaved area immediatly after they were exposed with that ambush + the way i see it, we had good change to spot them first and even get them into crossfire of two teams, if our patrol wouldn't have stumbled into them. Which i found out later when one of them released "report" of his experiences. It was guite amusing to read that "report", as i was sure that our opponents were alot more numerous, vicious and aggressive and cloacked in chillie suit, with determination to first recon and then swiftly strike.

Im in the Army now bc of Operation Flashpoint  

no joke

How did that work out for you?

no joke

And do you ever use phrases such as "all, move to... bush, eight o'clock", "two, target target", "where are you?" etc?

You are reservists.

Yes you're right. Ex-mil have a proffesional career behind them.

Yes we are reservists, very true.

If you want to go down that route, then let's take a closer look at what a reservist is...

Reservists belong to a military. There is no way around the fact that the Finnish reservists are tied to a military by law.

I have not in any way "resigned" from the Finnish Defence Forces, which indeed is a military organization. I am still part of it. I have to be, so says the law here. By this definition I am not ex-military, I am currently a member of a military. Technically (our law), I will some day become "ex-mil" but there are many more years to come before that happens. By this definition the reservists are not "ex-" so indeed we shouldn't be in this thread...

It's a line in water, how you like to call us. A fact is that when the FDF talks about what they are consisted of, they include me in their organization.

no joke

And do you ever use phrases such as "all, move to... bush, eight o'clock", "two, target target", "where are you?" etc?

its not working out im a Cannon cocker(13B) and i wanted to be infantry(11B):wall: We do infantry stuff but its not the same

as for phrases like in the game used in irl that is a negative im pretty sure someone outthere can explain why that is better than i can

Swe Conscript

Swe Nat. Guard for almost 10 years.

The last 3-4 as a Platoon Leader Sec.LT

Now Retierd.... rofl.gif Playing ArmA all day long..

no joke

its not working out im a Cannon cocker(13B) and i wanted to be infantry(11B):wall: We do infantry stuff but its not the same

as for phrases like in the game used in irl that is a negative im pretty sure someone outthere can explain why that is better than i can

Like when they say "Repeat," when they should call "I say again."

Arty guys love "Repeat."

USMC here, from 1988 to 1992.  I was stationed at Quantico, Va. and Twentynine Palms, Ca.

Semper Fi!

GD Mast

no joke

aaaaaaaahahahahahaha best post evar in this thread biggrin_o.gif

current British Army, 2005 - Present.

smile_o.gif

Wow.  Up until now, I've seen exactly one sailor in this thread, and only two guys from my time period.  Boy, I'm feeling old.  smile_o.gif

US Navy, 1977-1983.  Electronic tech, communications specialty.  Everything from modern satellite comms to WWII era HF transmitters and receivers.  (no joke!  The USN used to never throw anything away if it still worked.)

Rotten time to be in the US military.  Most people thought that joining up meant that you were so mentally defective that you couldn't get a job in the real world, a closet babykiller, or both.  On top of which, I learned in boot camp that qualifying for ET "A" school required a combined IQ/ASVAB score 10 points higher than that required to get into Annapolis.  Throw in the after effects of the Vietnam drawdown and it made our unofficial motto far too close to the truth:

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much for so long with so little that we are now qualified to do everything, with nothing, forever."

Anyhow, ArmA has very little to do with active duty in any Navy.  Still a fun game, though, now that the worst of the bugs have finally been squashed.

WETSU!  We Eat This S**T Up!

smile_o.gif

Current US Army 11B (Infantryman)

ArmA is far from the real thing but it's still the only commercial FPS I would refer to as a combat 'simulator'.

Ex-RNZAF here (2000-2005, Flying Officer - then back in 2006/2007 as a consultant). Number of ex military folks at my gaming group, including some ex-USAF, ex-british army, and one ex RNZN

You know something that they could add to ArmA to make it more like the real thing is brooms, mops, floor wax, etc. So you can spend a few hours cleaning up after other people, lol. Now that would be very realistic.

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif Yeah an instead of sendin noobs an well... to the bannana phone u could send em on latrine duty, KP, or to empty the chit buckets in the field latrines yay.gif