Sign in to follow this  
Scooty

Oxygen not for the public

now it´s out of the box, no more speculations about oxygen and who will get it.

strictly nobody, except:

- people who pay license fees

- people who don´t bother BI´s further projects and/or interests

- people, who are willing to sell their souls to BI

who won´t get it:

- people who want to do 1 or 2 models for themselves or friends

- people who can´t show off websites or are in mod-teams

yes, yes, they want to support the modders and so they just are able to deal with a small number of people.

yes, yes, there was never unsupported software in this whole, wide universe, which did not result in millions of questions for the distributer.

hell, make it "as is" and "unsupported" and give it to the people, who want it... (for non-commercial usage) or better let them get it from a website.

commercial usage = license fees... no problem.

non-commercial = large community = free of charge and EVERYBODY interested should be able to get it.

and PLEASE dont anybody tell me, the reason is just to make sure, that only high-quality mods will be built.

let the people decide, what they want to download.

crap will never survive in a that large community.

so good models will be used, bad ones won´t.

no need for BI to judge, what people wanna have.

Ever think they may have a teensy weensy interest in making sure that the mods that are produced, free for the public, don't pull the rug out from under projects they have pending right now such as, oh, VBS or Resistence?

They don't owe us anything. They are releasing the tools to individual mod makers as well as groups. There are no licensing fees for non-commercial projects which they approve. BIS also has an interest in seeing that the game continues to sell, stays fresh and that people don't start making "Nazi concentration camp" mods and the like.

Restricions which BIS's made aren't so bad. How would it be if everyone could have Oxygen? Propablly we could expect a lot of addons which will be only a "shadows" of best ones'. How will you find out which is good one and which isn't?

hmm.. chaos - this is best word to describe this situation.

I'm not sure you have all your facts right, Scooty. Where did it say that you have to pay for the tools? And where does it say that 'part-time' mod makers, who only want to release small stuff will automatically be refused? Read up about it some more, or maybe I'm wrong (give a link if I am wrong though).

They could do what Valve did to CS and buy the mod that is created if it is good! Look at cs and it was released in beta format for a while then Valve said this is good a payed goose to work on it for retail and stuff. If BIS wants to be uneasy about a mod that some amatures are making then that is SAD! No mod a ameture is making will be close to the work that BIS does so they can STFU about being scared and release the Oxygen for us modelers to use or be boycoted. I was thinking about buying Resistance but now forget it! If BIS is so scared then maybe they shouldnt be in the gaming industry where everyone makes mods of already created games! Valve still makes tons of money even though there is alot of mods! If you are going to hide in the corner because you are "afraid of losing money" then piss off and go away because we dont want some develper that is too scared to listen to their fans and followers! You guys at BIS disgust me!

Maybe it's just the natural step from the Valve method. Hopefully the BIS method will ensure a higher degree of quality in the mods that actually surface. I've tried enough crappy, half-cooked, forever-in-alpha mods to cool me off on the whole thing. I don't mind paying good money for high-quality products, but I do mind wasting my quality time on out-of-whack free stuff written by some overly l33t kid who really oughta be hacking the Linux kernel.

they are not worried about people making low quality mods, they are worried people will be making mods that are better than theirs! everyone is just amazed by the new textures in resistance, and while they are an improvement over OFP, they are just catching up to some of the newest generation of addons, i.e. UCE or BIBMI's work.

they think noone will buy resistance or IDL because if they release O2 there will be harriers and motorcycles all over the place by the end of march.

guess what? people are still gonna buy it. im really pissed off at bis right now.. and im still gonna buy it.

fan contributions will only strengthen support for the game.

lying to the public and saying there gonna be getting something only to pull the rug out at the alst possible minute will not. this is purely a money making tactic to get people excited and working on mods so bis can rush in scoop them up and sell a adddon cd without the cost of paying the costs of developing them in house. its a shitty thing to do.

bis does not owe us anything? they do if they promised to release something!!

Ummm read the Flashnews post again. It said Oxygen will not be released for the public NOW so there's a chance that it will be released for the public.

no no of course not now... theyre gonna wait til resistance ships first....

BIS is doing what they want with a game they own the rights too. So far things must be on the right track, over a million copys sold, they release good stuff for the majority of the people like me. People that don't try and mod the hell out of stuff, enjoy the game for what it is. I've read enough imature comments about this "oxygen" realease that I don't think anyone deserves it unless you jump threw BIS's hoops. If you want something for nothing then work with them, don't act like a 4 year old that lost his lolly pop.

Remember, the amount of modders that play this game is small compared to the people who own it and just play it, maybe I'm wrong, maybe the only people that play games are hard core fanatics that want more and more every day.

You think OFP may die, I doubt it, just like most games they bring out new stuff at a time when marketing says you are having a drop in sales, get something out to boost things again, regain the interest in the OFP game. I garuntee that everyone bitching will still hang around cause its a cool game. Those that get pissy and leave need to look in the mirror and ask themselves this question. " DO I NEED HELP, am I normal?"

Tell ya what, this is way above all our pay grades.... Let BIS build THIER game the way they want to. Don't like it, buy something different.....

first no join in support for multiplayer now this shit,what a load of waNK mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (lilwillie_WI @ Mar. 01 2002,14:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BIS is doing what they want with a game they own the rights too. So far things must be on the right track, over a million copys sold, they release good stuff for the majority of the people like me. People that don't try and mod the hell out of stuff, enjoy the game for what it is. I've read enough imature comments about this "oxygen" realease that I don't think anyone deserves it unless you jump threw BIS's hoops. If you want something for nothing then work with them, don't act like a 4 year old that lost his lolly pop.

Remember, the amount of modders that play this game is small compared to the people who own it and just play it, maybe I'm wrong, maybe the only people that play games are hard core fanatics that want more and more every day.

You think OFP may die, I doubt it, just like most games they bring out new stuff at a time when marketing says you are having a drop in sales, get something out to boost things again, regain the interest in the OFP game. I garuntee that everyone bitching will still hang around cause its a cool game. Those that get pissy and leave need to look in the mirror and ask themselves this question. " DO I NEED HELP, am I normal?"

Tell ya what, this is way above all our pay grades.... Let BIS build THIER game the way they want to. Don't like it, buy something different.....<span id='postcolor'>

Agreed. Too many people whine and b*tch about things now... they can't have patience... where did it say we have to pay for a copy of it? Where did it say that NOW and FOREVER, it will only let those who pass a certain test have the tools? Where? They will release the tools, other people are too stupid and don't do what Damage says here:

Ummm read the Flashnews post again. It said Oxygen will not be released for the public NOW so there's a chance that it will be released for the public.

Bear in mind what has happened with many OTHER games companies:

1) Ship a fairly good but expensive product

2) Ignore posts and e-mails to support about bugs

3) Never release a patch or any tools

4) After 1-2 years release a bugfix as an expensive add-on pack

5) Company gets bought out by someone big and not interested in the game and the coders all have to code html for food.

BiS have constantly shown support and put in a lot of time and effort in developing new patches and add-ons, which I suspect they wanted to put in the original game but Codemasters wanted to ship ASAP.. wink.gif

A lot of what marek says is right, they could release a version that is as complex to use as building the game from scratch, requires a high level of knowledge (see cheat modders run away in droves) and makes online play become a matter of how many mods you have installed to play.. oh i have to download a 36 MB mod to play here.

OFP is a flagship product for them and YES they dont want to see a lot of hard work ripped off. I find it ironic that marek was trying to explain logically why there is no free tool right now when all of the offensive complaints have come from certain types of gamers. biggrin.gif

The alternative is to keep asking BiS to build the stuff you want in a patch or expansion pack.. smile.gif

agreed with cargo and the nothing , all the whiners really annoy me , where are the moderators ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Mar. 02 2002,15:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">where are the moderators ?<span id='postcolor'>

Hiding? wink.gif

This thread was started after my "Please no more NEW oxygen complaint threads." So I'm closing it, feel free to continue the discussion in the threads that remain open.