Sign in to follow this  
Sever26

X52 Flight Control System

Does anyone know if this will work with arma...

For me this joystick revolutionises flying in Arma. Especially combined with trackIR.

I have the X-45, the predecessor to the X-52 and I think it's a great joystick for IL-2 or Falcon 4.0 or something but honestly ArmA doesn't have enough buttons to warrant it. Those FCS sticks are really stiff and a Cyborg Evo is much kinder to most all pilots in ArmA.

I really like using my X52 in ArmA. Works like a charm. Only thing I miss now is a TrackIR tounge2.gif

I have the full X52 setup (joystick, throttle, and pedals) plus the trackir4. The X52 pedals and trackir4 help out tremendously.

You have to setup the pedals as keyboard input to make them work.

The only downside to all this awesome setup is the responsiveness of the helicopters. As stated in other threads the helicopters don't fly like helicopters. They fly like airplanes. They go from 0 to a bizzilion miles per hour in 1 second. They have no "weight" so the blackhawk is the same as the ah-6. They are just too fast.

I have the x52 pro but never got around to using it on arma. It just been collecting dust lol. Did use it on the game Lockon which was nice

Hello,

Slightly ot, but does anyone use a HOTAS Cougar with arma?

A bit stiff is it not? If solt me know your results.

I used to have an x45 methinks, and found it much better for general gaming tham my Cougar (although I wouldnt swap it for the world).

Rgds

LoK

Guest RKSL-Rock
Hello,

Slightly ot, but does anyone use a HOTAS Cougar with arma?

A bit stiff is it not? If solt me know your results.

I used to have an x45 methinks, and found it much better for general gaming tham my Cougar (although I wouldnt swap it for the world).

Rgds

LoK

I use the Cougar HOTAS, its fine for me. But I'm more of a sim pilot than a gamer

Does anyone know if this will work with arma...

I use the X52 PRO HOTAS setup in ArmA along with a TrackIR. It works very well.

It's just a shame I can't use my rudder pedals for flying the helos and jets as well! :-)

I've noticed in jets when I apply power with the throttle I get no response until the 50% mark, and then it is a sudden boost of power. Can anyone tell me if its possible to have power applied gradualy...will Arma recognize it? This would help tremendously while moving the jet around on the runway or an ac carrier.

Please post instructions on how to set it up

Thanks

HogRoot

I got a X52 Pro and the same issues with the throttle.

I'm afraid it's just a common problem which cannot be solved by us useres, it needs to be patched. In fact i find it much easier to fly the Warthog by Mouse and KB than with my Joystick. Sad but true..

If anyone knows better I'd be glad to hear it here!

Could anyone using an X52 Pro with ArmA tell me what settings to use?

I couldn't get it to recognise the throttle properly either and have been finding the stick far too 'responsive' for yaw...it seems to make the planes roll ridiculously easily (and then crash). Do i need to tone down the sensitivity a little in the settings?

lastly, is there a way to enable the ArmA menu system to be used with the throttle buttons/wheels? I couldn't work out how to make it do it. Any help would be much appreciated.

So re: Throttle "Bug".

Is this just using the natural throttle function or have you actually tried making a macro and tying various bands to the ingame keypresses?

Should have never given my X-45 to a friend. I miss the rudder paddle on the throttle.

sad_o.gif I never could understand why the X-52 went back to that shite Stick-twist method for Yaw control aside from it being a way to "force sales" of their pedals...

I've not tried setting bands in the throttle axis in the SD6 software for ArmA, but when using the software to set functions for the hat switches and dials ArmA didn't recognise them as present. The 8-way hat switch on the stick records no input either in game. Only the scroll wheel on the throttle seems to work and that is as default 'mouse wheel'.

I've had slightly more success just setting the controls in ArmA's own controls menu but again many buttons do not appear to be recognised and it seems to have difficulties distinguishing between the main stick and throttle axis and the dials and precision slider. The throttle response set in ArmA works to a degree but it is a little unresponsive. Engine pitch noise gives an indication that the throttle is controlling engine power but other than at the extreme end of the throttle (0 and 100) I've not noticed much difference in speed.

I've had more problems setting the fire buttons to work for targeting. I had set the launch button for 'Next Target' and Fire B for 'Target/Zoom' with Fire A as weapon select. It is a little clunky though. Trying to change it had the odd effect of it failing to record any input for Targeting, meaning I had to use the keyboard to target. Not exactly HOTAS eh?

I've not tried setting bands in the throttle axis in the SD6 software for ArmA, but when using the software to set functions for the hat switches and dials ArmA didn't recognise them as present. The 8-way hat switch on the stick records no input either in game. Only the scroll wheel on the throttle seems to work and that is as default 'mouse wheel'.

I've had slightly more success just setting the controls in ArmA's own controls menu but again many buttons do not appear to be recognised and it seems to have difficulties distinguishing between the main stick and throttle axis and the dials and precision slider. The throttle response set in ArmA works to a degree but it is a little unresponsive. Engine pitch noise gives an indication that the throttle is controlling engine power but other than at the extreme end of the throttle (0 and 100) I've not noticed much difference in speed.

I've had more problems setting the fire buttons to work for targeting. I had set the launch button for 'Next Target' and Fire B for 'Target/Zoom' with Fire A as weapon select. It is a little clunky though. Trying to change it had the odd effect of it failing to record any input for Targeting, meaning I had to use the keyboard to target. Not exactly HOTAS eh?

Well for starters it would help if the SD6 wasnt so clunky to begin with.

Are you setting these up as keypresses, macros, etc? If it's just set as a single keypress I've found it nessisary often to define the keypress duration manually as many times the keypress occours too breifly for it to register ingame (IIR, default duration is 00:05 or some silly shite like that.) crazy_o.gif

This is part of the reason my X52 is now alongside IL2 46' and Lock On quietly gathering dust. So as it's been some time since I last used the programming software, all I can say is to be sure that when programming inputs they are set to be active as long as you hold the switch, not a "pre-timed" duration or a string of repeating inputs. Again, this was my experience with IL2 so ArmA may yet prove different in how it responds. I may get bored enough to try it out myself but if I do I know I'll be right back to my IL2 46' addiction yay.gif (What a flipping awesome game)

Sorry in advance if you've already done as I suggested, but I know some folks have had issue with assigning inputs to triggers properly. SD6 always made me wonder if they were expecting people to be playing more Tekken and Street Fighter than flight sim's with the darned thing as it's so well designed for setting up Combo-type moves yet such a pain in the arse for setting up flight controls in nearly any game rofl.gifbanghead.gif

Well for starters it would help if the SD6 wasnt so clunky to begin with.

Are you setting these up as keypresses, macros, etc? If it's just set as a single keypress I've found it necessary often to define the keypress duration manually as many times the keypress occurs too briefly for it to register in-game (IIR, default duration is 00:05 or some silly shite like that.) crazy_o.gif

Think I prefered the SST software that came with the unit, at least that was user-friendly. That said Saitek's idea of a manual isn't exactly comprehensive in either version.

I created a new ArmA profile last night mapping the game keyboard controls to the throttle and stick. The buttons work fine mostly, but having entered the 'Zoom' button with a duration of 3 seconds, it behaves a little strangely...sometimes a tap means it stays on, other times I have to double tap to make it zoom.

Couldn't get the throttle to work for thrust or the stick rotate to work as rudder though in the profile editor...not sure what I was doing. I did try setting the keys to bands in SD6 with a void in between them for 'cruise control' but couldn't get it to work. Don't sufficiently understand the whole 'Direction axis' v 'bands' stuff. Reading previous posts on the forum, it seems apparent that ArmA considers thrust as keypresses of the increase and decrease thrust keys not as an axis in-game so the throttle is never going to work overly well. Instead I just set them in ArmA controls.

Rather a pity I can't map a function to the pinkie key...would've liked to use it for the external view toggle. Also a pity that menu functions don't have individual assignable keys to use...seems a waste with buttons going empty whilst the menu has numerous functions there (especially with the targeting options for Franze's F-18s).

Still, works ok for planes (mostly using Footmunch's f-16s and Franze's f-18s) and makes that part of ArmA now playable. Hell, if someone as rubbish as I can shoot down aircraft with guns then it must be useful.

Rather a pity I can't map a function to the pinkie key...would've liked to use it for the external view toggle. Also a pity that menu functions don't have individual assignable keys to use...

IIR, the pinkie switch is "Shift" by default, so quite possible to swap shift & numpad enter use in ArmA, then it should work. huh.gif

Using Macros for the triggers / rotary bands would be possible if the menu wasn't so friggin "dynamic" but it would be possible to define generic macro's that would work for most cases ( Not near ammo boxes / vehicles ) by setting the macro as "Enter, arrow down x# of times, enter" Etc. thumbs-up.gif

Now I'm just getting curious... I'll blow the dust off my X52 and get something sorted out in the next few days. biggrin_o.gif

I have the X45 HOTAS and am looking for a profile to use with ArmA; or is it better to configure it through ArmA?

I've uploaded my X52 .pr0 profile to Filefront: LINK

Note:

POV Hat 3 (left) is bound to my Push-to-talk key I use in TeamSpeak (mouse button 4), so I suggest you change that to your preference.

The throttle, twist rudder and all stuff like that has been bound inside ArmA.

The binds are setup to work in all three modes, so it doesn't matter which one you have active. Good for absent-minded people like me.

Info:

The setup is made a bit after how I'm used to have my Falcon 4.0 profile, so it might not seem fully logical for ArmA, all keys are set to the default keybinds in ArmA, and it is as follows:

Trigger: Fire

A: 1st/3rd person view

B: Weapon Sights

C: Optics

D: Target

E: Fire Mode

Toggle 1: GPS toggle

Toggle 2: Map

POV Hat 1 (lower one on stick): Look around

POV Hat 1 Up + Pinkie: Center view

POV Hat 1 Down + Pinkie: Center view

POV Hat 3 Right (throttle one): Use Action

POV Hat 3 Up: Scroll up

POV Hat 3 Down: Scroll down

POV Hat 3 Left: Microphone

POV Hat 3 Left + Pinkie: VON (in-game voice)

Slider: Zoom in/out