Sign in to follow this  
sbsmac

Escapist article on Arma

A bit too heavily slanted towards the organised co-op guys IMO but interesting to see some favourable coverage of the game...

click here

Very interesting article. It's nice to see something positive being said about ArmA outside the usual community. But I do think that if you want to get the full OPF/ArmA experiance you have to join some kind of organized group.

Hi all

A bit like how we play it on the servers I play on. The process of proper planning the article describes applies to Coop and PvP Coop in any pro ArmA team.

My experience is that the team with the experience and training who has a good plan wins more often than the reflexes based team.

Kind regards walker

A bit too heavily slanted towards the organised co-op guys IMO but interesting to see some favourable coverage of the game...

click here

ShackTac is an equal mix of large-scale coop and large-scale PvP. They mention ShackTac, so...

click here

ShackTac is an equal mix of large-scale coop and large-scale PvP. They mention ShackTac, so...

So what? The article seems to be exclusively about the ins and outs of the hardcore coop community. It mentions pvp in that they mention types of pvp + ai games where the dunces get put on the AI team. The simple fact that you need to announce that the shacktac does pvp too goes to show how focused the article was on coop. I only play coop. There's no need to defend the article as if it was a balanced look at ArmA all around. It's not... and that's not a terrible thing. But trying to say that this article is about pvp too is ridiculous.

Quote[/b] ]So what? The article seems to be exclusively about the ins and outs of the hardcore coop community.

God forbid! The author wrote about something that he found to be interesting. Perhaps PvP is too similar to other games for it to stand out to him the way that the ArmA coop scene did? Perhaps he was never exposed to it? Perhaps he didn't like it? Who knows? It's his article and his choice. Someone mentioned that PvP wasn't addressed - it was. It may not have been addressed in the way some of you want (perhaps a nice lovey-dovey poem about Berserk or somesuch?), sure, but it was certainly touched on.

Quote[/b] ]The simple fact that you need to announce that the shacktac does pvp too goes to show how focused the article was on coop.

They talked to a coop group and received information about mostly coop experiences, with some PvP thrown in. If you want to spin it in a negative light, by all means, be my guest. I'm amazed that this is an issue at all.

Quote[/b] ]I only play coop. There's no need to defend the article as if it was a balanced look at ArmA all around.

I never said that it was. Calm down and take a few deep breaths next time before you try so hard to make an issue out of something that wasn't even said.

Quote[/b] ]It's not... and that's not a terrible thing. But trying to say that this article is about pvp too is ridiculous.

They mention PvP, as you yourself cited. I don't know what more you're looking for, aside from a reason to argue.

A bit too heavily slanted towards the organised co-op guys IMO

Well, yeah.

I mean, "this one pubbie I know who plays ArmA" doesn't make for much of an interesting source. Besides, the article is about mid-scale organized co-op and the culture of people who participate in wargames on a regular basis together.

click here

It's almost like the intent of the article was to talk about cooperative play...

Creepy.

Quote[/b] ]So what? The article seems to be exclusively about the ins and outs of the hardcore coop community.

God forbid! The author wrote about something that he found to be interesting. Perhaps PvP is too similar to other games for it to stand out to him the way that the ArmA coop scene did? Perhaps he was never exposed to it? Perhaps he didn't like it? Who knows? It's his article and his choice. Someone mentioned that PvP wasn't addressed - it was. It may not have been addressed in the way some of you want (perhaps a nice lovey-dovey poem about Berserk or somesuch?), sure, but it was certainly touched on.

Quote[/b] ]The simple fact that you need to announce that the shacktac does pvp too goes to show how focused the article was on coop.

They talked to a coop group and received information about mostly coop experiences, with some PvP thrown in. If you want to spin it in a negative light, by all means, be my guest. I'm amazed that this is an issue at all.

Quote[/b] ]I only play coop. There's no need to defend the article as if it was a balanced look at ArmA all around.

I never said that it was. Calm down and take a few deep breaths next time before you try so hard to make an issue out of something that wasn't even said.

Quote[/b] ]It's not... and that's not a terrible thing. But trying to say that this article is about pvp too is ridiculous.

They mention PvP, as you yourself cited. I don't know what more you're looking for, aside from a reason to argue.

There was no negative light spun, Dsleyxci. You were clearly taking the defence to what he was saying, and you're now clearly taking the defence to what I'm saying. Noone was saying that a coop article was negative. We're only saying that it was a coop article.

Calm down? lol.

Anyways, if I'm getting you wrong, then what you were implying was too vague. What is the significance of saying that shacktac also plays pvp so.... ?

Bumpage for arma is always good.

I imagine the article leans towards co-op because, ever since WoW and a steady stream of co-op console games, co-op is becoming far more popular than it used to be.

Possibly this is because the industry have been stuck in the generation of games that aren't easy to make co-op capable.

Exploding internet, console and console internet markets are changing it all. The demand for casual gaming, and therefore casual multiplayer, has risen fast and I imagine PvP, especially shooters, is, for many people, a bit too competitive.

Or maybe I'm just over-analyzing...

But The Escapist seems to be all about trends.

Quote[/b] ]Someone mentioned that PvP wasn't addressed - it was. It may not have been addressed in the way some of you want (perhaps a nice lovey-dovey poem about Berserk or somesuch?), sure, but it was certainly touched on.

I'm sorry but the way the article was written, focused more on true coop groups rather than the rambo pubie (who has every right to play the way he likes, but don't tell me Evolution is the only map out there for "good coops" as it is not), the author could have touched the PVP side of those group/clans, without a need to raise to the skies the berzerk maps.

There are 2 PVP tourneys for Arma, out there, where you need to train, there is a hierarchy, be involved into some sort of battle plan and yes, play against another army every Saturday/Sunday , and where every decision that you make can bring a victory or a loss, in ones tourney case, and more resources or not for the other tourney. Besides, the game is dynamic, and you can get to play on the whole Sahrani by pushing or being pushed by the other side.

In my opinion this is the best experience that you might get from this game, the most strategic one. The AI is not that bright, you can figure out sooner or later what they gonna throw at you, even if their action are heavily scripted. Humans are a lot more fun to play against.

Both games are large scale battles, pushing the arma's server limits beyond the 100 mark limit (close to 110 from 120 capped) for the veteran tourney and closer to 70 out of 90 for the newest one.

www.ic-arma.com currently running campaign 3, the first arma tourney.

www.arma-tow.com i not sure here, i think campaign one, or just after beta, i recently joined this one.

Different approaches, almost the same results: a tactical online army experience and community. And the way arma was meant to be play.

*Sigh* - the intention of the post was to bring to everyone's attention an article which I thought was well written and (unsually) favourable towards a game I'm sure we'd all like to see be more popular than it is today.

Personally I would have liked to have seen some more discussion of the other aspects of the game (that's the "IMO" bit above) but it's perfectly understandable that the author wanted to hang the article on a particular angle.

I'm pretty disappointed that once again, this seems to be degenerating into a co-op vs PVP thread and that some people seem to be more intent on arguing than discussing the article. :-(

What is the significance of saying that shacktac also plays pvp so.... ?

None. Whoever started that is going off topic and yet another thread may be lost.

On topic: I read the escapist articles every so oftern and was surprised I did not pick up this before now but now that I have read it, it was a waste of several minutes. All that is writen tells us what we already know in the community. Whoever was being interviewed was getting ahead of himself a little bit.

Notice:

Quote[/b] ]You might learn how to deal with something as the military would deal with it, such as maintain a checkpoint in counterinsurgency ops.
Yea... apparently you learn how to deal with it... Like go through the necessary classroom, briefing, exercise and other training aspects? No! It is a game, people using it as a way to show off their counterinsurgencyleethaxorsniperskills and then thinking the same can be applied in real life has either been hit over the head very hard or is a walt.

Quote[/b] ]None. Whoever started that is going off topic and yet another thread may be lost.

"The article is all about coop groups". Reply says "Hey, they mention this group, and that's not a coop group". Pretty simple unless you try to read too much into it...

Quote[/b] ]On topic: I read the escapist articles every so oftern and was surprised I did not pick up this before now but now that I have read it, it was a waste of several minutes. All that is writen tells us what we already know in the community. Whoever was being interviewed was getting ahead of himself a little bit.

The article is more oriented towards people outside of the ArmA community. Of course people who play the game are going to already know most of what is being talked about.

Nice article. As Sevan said its good to hear of AA outside of the usual community.

I think you forget how good the OFP, and to a lesser extent the AA communities (the posts above seem to have examplified that point) are compared to other games until you read about it from others. With OFP I played MP alot, but with AA, due to both technical issues, time and other issues I dont, which is a shame as I forget how dynamic and cooperative it can be. Still, AA SP is great, and OFP is always there to rock with. Long live the community.

Quote[/b] ]None. Whoever started that is going off topic and yet another thread may be lost.

"The article is all about coop groups". Reply says "Hey, they mention this group, and that's not a coop group". Pretty simple unless you try to read too much into it...

It is simple but it's not what you're saying. He says it's too slanted towards organized coop groups. You're saying it's not too slanted towards coop groups because they mention Shacktac in some sentence and Shacktac also does PvP. This is not sufficient to support your conclusion. The rest of the article is about organized coop. They mention the kill-a-minute play of Counter-Strike in that article, too. This doesn't make the article also about Counter Strike.

Thats awesome, i cant believe how i missed that wow_o.gif

The guy doing those reviews is a genius IMO

Aye, I noticed that map too as I eagerly watched it. At first I wasn't sure, I thought I was seeing screwy, but then watched it again and was sure!

Good article, well written, and does have a valid point. The only game I ever really played much in MP was ArmA. Found my way into a clan that plays like the one in the article. When you have a lot of people playing, its the only way that it really works. Never played BF2 or COD, so I don't know how the teams function there.

I think the mainstream FPS players get put off by the fact you die so easily in the game. Something I think they are not used to, let alone the space to play in.

But the game is a soldiers sim, just like the many other sim's out there. And we play them to get a limited view of what could be expected. Or we just play the for downright fun! The developers just try to make it as realistic as the tech allows at the time.

IMO, the did a DAMM fine job with ArmA.

P.S.

That crysis review is a F_ pisser!!!!! rofl.gif