Sign in to follow this  
leckig

Why so few 1.09 servers?

come on guys, update your servers? My favorite (and only...) berzerk server is still 1.08. There are so few arma players online and now is even worse - 60% on 1.08 and the rest on 1.09 servers.

Are there any issues that prevent the servers admins to update?

Are there any issues that prevent the servers admins to update?

Uhm.. Lets think about it... Maybe because 1.09 is only a beta patch?

Or maybe because there is no Linux binary for 1.09?

It's a beta patch, that's why. And it was only just released, give people time to react.

I'm not sure why some server admin's haven't updated.

It might be something to do with the extra stuff like 'Dead can't speak' that some people don't like?

My Clan Server (Filter GOL) plays bezerk sometimes and it's 1.09.

Well i updated XR to 109 but i found that it was more popular on 108. runing on 108 server can fill up on 64 players. when i updated to 109 is was used by maybe 5 people max.

The patch is beta so im guessing everyone waiting for full 109 patch and i have no problem on playing on 108 till its out sence i didnt find 109 all that and not everythink working on it like the so called cheat protection. theres enough 109 servers up but not enough people using 109 so thats my reason for keeping xr server on 108

i'd say the majority of kids out there doesnt even know about the beta patch because they actually don't read these forums. hence the lack of players on 1.09 (among other reasons, see above)

What Daikan said is probably one of the reasons. I think the server admins could help a bit by setting up major announcements like new patches, expansions or death of a mod etc etc whenever they join the server. I know Call911's server does this.

BIS could actually have an auto-updater or update announcement system but i guess it isnt that crucial.

Divided by QG, fragmented by 1.09, and then CWR when it's released.

At the end of the day its a beta patch that bis aint wven tested so dont except to see on servers on 109 till 109 full patch is out. Most people know its out when i told it to like 50 players on my server. Most was like its only beta as in they not bothered

Fullcontactwar doesn't really care to run beta's when it comes to patches... lots of bad experiences running them on the BF2 side of the community, so we stay away from them in ArmA as well.

When it is released as a completed patch you can be sure we'll update. Until then, 1.08 remains!

Well, this isnt the feedback thread but.. based on my experiences playing 1.09b im going to stick with it, i cant go back to 1.08 anymore.

Performance and gameplay are much better with 1.09b smile_o.gif .

its because the hosting company only updates official patches. so i guess we are all waiting on bis to make it official.

its because the hosting company only updates official patches. so i guess we are all waiting on bis to make it official.

That should be only a support ticket away from being fixed, if you have interest in running the beta patch. With our host, I just send them a ticket asking for it to be added to our control panel, and include a link to download the patch from an official source. An hour or so later and its up and ready to go pistols.gif

Most hosting companies try to avoid betas as a policy. It could screw up the install, cause instability and so on - just creating more work for them. Everyone says 1.09 is great right now, but who knows what is around the corner? Back in the old days of OFP, one patch could wipe your HD under certain circumstances and it wasn't discovered until the patch had been out for a good while.

Don't test it, don't complain about the bugs on release...

Every bit of feedback is going to help them.  Gotta support the team...

puddyfacepainterml9.jpg

Our public servers have been running the beta since its release. No problems with it so far on ether server ( and both have Queens ganbit too )

"Why so few 1.09 servers?"

That's because its only a beta.

A lot of admins will not update their severs with a beta. An official version already have enough problems already, imagine a beta.

This is how normally people think. confused_o.gif

If this was a beta that converted/upgraded your game like final patches does then you all would have a good point. Especially if the patch was so buggy that you had to uninstall it.

However, 1.09 is really a Beta "MOD" meaning you do not have to uninstall it to go back to 1.08 server or 1.08 client. It sits side-by-side and does not touch your 1.08 files.

So there should be no fear of going through a time-consuming nightmare to get back to 1.08 if something happens that you do not like it.

But there is one advantage I think people are missing here.

One advantage of running 1.09 server at least one weekend is that your most annoying bug that may exist in 1.08 is fixed in 1.09 and if not it is obviously important to you. Because there are times where other admins config their server differently than you run your server and might not run into the same bug. So if you do not report the bug that effects you more than others, no one else will. BIS won't know about it. And you will only find it in the Released version. And after BIS will probably move on to 1.10 patch which is probably 5 or more months wait. Or for all we know 1.09 could end up being the last patch and your favorite bug will never be fixed. This is your chance to peak into the future for 1 weekend and communicate to BIS if they are on the right track for your gaming community with 1.09. With ArmA 2.0 around the corner it is a real possibility that 1.09 is the last patch for a long while and therefore I am willing to run 1.09 on my servers for at least one weekend in order to increase the chances that BIS with provide a good 1.09 release for the gamers in my community.

And I have to say that our first 1.09 weekend was excellent. And reading the forums I did not see any show stopping scary bug reports that would convince me to stop using 1.09 server. Performance is up. Morale is up. And the cool thing is the moment we find a major problem if that happens, I just switch my command line for both server and client and less than 2 minutes I can have everyone switched back over to 1.08. No pain.

BIS has given us the best of both worlds.

Something to think about.

But I know in the end people will do what they only have the time and motivation to do. And that is understood and respected.

its because the hosting company only updates official patches.  so i guess we are all waiting on bis to make it official.

That should be only a support ticket away from being fixed, if you have interest in running the beta patch. With our host, I just send them a ticket asking for it to be added to our control panel, and include a link to download the patch from an official source. An hour or so later and its up and ready to go  pistols.gif

no , it was 3 support tickets resulting in a "sorry its a beta patch and we wont install beta patches, you have to wait for it to be official" answer.

this is likely the reason. i doubt it is lazy server admins. because anyone playing this patch is going to keep it for just 2 reasons. 1) fog bug is gone. and 2) you can ride motorcycles without radomly dying for no reason.

i know im not going back to 1.08 and it sucks that i pay for a server and have to play on somone elses.

3rd infantry division is now running 1.09. feel free to stop by our site @ www.3rdinf-hq.com for teamspeak info. oh and by the way king_six i was riding a motorcycle yesterday and died randomly