Sign in to follow this  
Beltfed

Need advice on getting better as a rifleman.

Ok, this game rocks (had to get that out of the way). That said, it's really tough; which I find realistic. Can you guys give me some pointers that might let me survive the armory attack/defend missions with a rifle?

I have trackIR, giant 32 inch monitor, a fast system and a good gaming mouse. I also have MS, which is only relevant as it affects my right hand coordination and has wiped out some of my visual field.

Again, I love this game, would like to mod it eventually, but I need some pointers on playing please smile_o.gif.

Thanks,

Beltfed

the armory lone wolf missions are to generic and are sometimes impossible to manage. try the campaign instead. the thing that made ofp and now arma such a great combat simulation is the group and unit behvaiour. you can aim like shit and hit nothing, but your fire can distract enemy ai, wich maybe saves the ass of one of your ai teammembers who then can shoot they guy you just distracted. you can lure tanks in minefields by shooting their hull and making them aware of you or distract them to give your ai rpg teammate a better chance to engage. everything you do somehow influence your surrounding.

my biggest error in the early days of ofp were

shooting to early at enemy that was unaware of my presence, revealing my position to his team and any enemy around.

then i never revealed enemy units, i saw them but i didnt revealed them to my team, making them unaware of this enemy. reveal whatever you see. when you teamleader this should be your only task, it helps your ai team more then shooting with them on the same target.

and last but not least keep the englishman in new york in mind.

a gentleman always walk and never run (aslong hes not under enemy fire). you are harder to detect, you hear better and you have more time to check your surrounding.

some things cant be seen with the first look, specially not when you running. its like these 2in1 pictures were you can see 2 faces or a flowerpot, you only see one picture at the1st look, totally ignoring the other one wich you will see suddenly a few seconds later.

play the campaign, or try some user created sp missions.

btw it needed the armory to gave me the only bluescreen i ever had with arma,

Great, thanks for the advice guys. I will try your suggestions.

Never get stuck out in the open... and always try to keep track of what the enemy is doing. In ArmA, life is more precious that in other games. Don't ever put yourself in a situation where you will get shot. I find firing from defilade to be effective as long as you don't just sit there and pump rounds down range. Someone will shoot you eventually. Shoot and move, even if that means popping up and down. Always try to have a clear objective of what you are trying to accomplish in mind. Aimless engaging in ArmA usually ends badly. Your top priority should be staying alive, depending on what kind of game you're playing.

The most important thing to realise is that when you are playing against players or the AI, if you keep on shooting out of the same corner, they will figure out how to kill you in short order. So shoot and move, never get stuck out in the open with your pants down, and ESPECIALLY don't try to hunker down in the middle of an open field and try to take on a whole squad. If you're in danger, I usually find that if there is cover nearby it's best to try and reach that. If you don't have cover within a few meters, it's usually game over for you in a turkey shoot scenario.

Keep your head down.

Do not stay for long in the same position if you revealed yourself.

If you play as a team leader, with AI group members, you will need to give lots of commands for your teammates or you will not have an effective team (most of your team usually dies soon into a mission if you don't take care of them). Take lots of time practicing how to command your team. How to position them, how to give them targets, and when to give them the order to fire. Yup you told them not to, didn't you. If you see an enemy team in the other side of a field, if you need to take them out then best is to use all your team's firepower. This means you will need to give each of your men targets, and only once everyone is ready to begin shooting, give everyone order to fire. That way you will be effective against enemy groups with AI teammates.

Always have an exit strategy smile_o.gif

(That way you don't get into one-way situations wink_o.gif)

Play the game as though you were really there. Would you REALLY dash across that open field? Would you REALLY rush down that street? Safety in numbers smile_o.gif

install FRAPS and measure your framerate. With this monitor you probably have giant resolution and all the lags make yoru game much more difficult. Adjust the details until your FPS never goes below 30

A lot of good things have been said. Also I'd like to add when shooting: shoot -> check -> adjust -> shoot etc... Keep that in mind. (I didn't repeat the "move" thing as it was said but "keep movin'!")

As it was said it is very important to be aware of your environment. That's crucial in a game like ArmA. There are hills, forests etc... Your map isn't an accessory: heights, vegetation, buildings etc...

Move from cover to cover. Before moving your must know where you are going next. Not get there then wonder: where now? Always plan the move after the next one. Cover all posibilities by studying the map (if you have the time).

Also before moving check your surrounding. Check direction by keeping your "head still" and check for movements. Also even camouflages can render the detection of personnel with time and training you will be able to differenciate them from the vegetation etc... Almost like black spots on a white picture.

And of course remember to know where the North, East etc... are. To help you take some references like the moon (if night) a forest, a building etc...

There is more to know but I guess with what most people brought up here you already have enough to get started. Training and experience will do the rest.

Move from cover to cover. Before moving your must know where you are going next. Not get there then wonder: where now? Always plan the move after the next one. Cover all posibilities by studying the map (if you have the time).

+ If you have time (that is not having 3 T-72 in the ass) serch for a back up cover if the first one fails, you should NEVER go back if you are half way of the cover

Yes, thats right. And you have the benefit that in ArmA you can die as many times you want.

Quote[/b] ]This means you will need to give each of your men targets, and only once everyone is ready to begin shooting, give everyone order to fire.

This is great but what about when you tell your AI team not to fire and they switch to open fire manually when the "feel" under threat?

I find I cant get that scenario to work right, nearly always someone will open fire at some stage before ive set up right.

My Tip ..

Install Durgs Vegetation Fix ... make cover in bushes REAL cover!

that also have to do with the combat mode they are in ( safe, aware, danger or stealth )

Also beware of your cover...

Allways try to find as much cover as possible...

Watch your flanks, because thats the first thing the opfor will do is try to outflank you.

Stay calm when you get shot at...

Staying calm will result in you having a better and earlier chance to shoot back.

Shooting a fuckload of ammo into the direction enemy is approaching will make you a target for many enemy. BUT it will

get them to go prone and stay put for a while. This is your chance to relocate and take some shots.

Edit

Handgrenades are your friend

AT rockets go more accurate at long range, but dont have much blast damage, however hitting the dude your aiming at will make him fly to the moon.

My personal record was atleast 200m up for one dude. Oh that was such a awesome shot. < served that annoying AI sniper well!