Sign in to follow this  
Teliko

Flattening grass - good or bad?

Since there is no way you can move your head above the grass while prone, flattening it is an OK solution although I prefer no grass at all.

x2.

Very hard to shoot something through grass + PC lagging. And fairly unrealistic I suppose, you shouldn't shoot what you can't see.

Anyone tried taking the AI on from a prone position? Often means death.

If I can see an AI while prone, I'm not in the right position for taking the shot. I try to fire crouched from positions where going prone means having the terrain between myself and the AI. Clear line of site while prone isn't an issue for me.

Ironic, the community is going in circles. As I recall BIS included this feature post release due to whining about the grass blocking our view. wink_o.gif

If by ironic you mean 'business as usual' ^_^

biggrin_o.gif

well the grass is very annoying, with mg´s. with m240 or PKM i have to use 3rd person to fire from prone position, since i cant see shit because of the grass. with saw i allmost allways just crouch and fire from hip.somekinda transparency would be nice with the grass ( 1 tall weed cant obstruct ur LOS completely crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif )

I like flattening grass, because of all the reasons of spotting...

but this one is a bit awful, becuase the model as you all know, is formed by a lot of faces with a grass texture applied on them... when a soldier lies, these faces become flat, and that's bad.

See Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake eater: there's grass everywhere, but not like this one when speaking of flattening

In Crysis game, devs found a solution when lying on grass : pressing a key allow player to move the aim a slightly upper, just over the weed to be exact smile_o.gif

This feature should be in every comming FPS. ArmA2 included (but due animation system i doupt it).

Vietcong had this for prone and kneeling stances, sort of hiding/shooting versions, and i instant fell in love inlove.gif you aim and you character raises his gun and aims, release aiming button and he goes low. Very good and AI knew how to use it, shot at and they imediatly pulled their head and weapon behind cover.

It could be made even more complete by enabling player and AI to adjust their shooting position up and down (like low kneeling position, high prone position). But i'm not sure as it might just make things too complicated.

Yeaaaah!

I remember that from VietCong, that was awesome. But i think that it would be imposible to make it for ArmA.

the other thing that I have seen that I thought was very cool, was that the near foliage/grass went translucent, so it gave you the best of both worlds. It made it easier to see, but yet still obscured your view just enough to give you a sense of realism

the other thing that I have seen that I thought was very cool, was that the near foliage/grass went translucent, so it gave you the best of both worlds. It made it easier to see, but yet still obscured your view just enough to give you a sense of realism

That is a good solution, and realistic since when focusing far you don't see a blade of grass clearly due to the two eyes seeing it in different positions.

I would like to see that implemented in Arma.

That "translucent" grass must be very close to your eyes and thin... pls go outside lie down in natural grass area and look through maybe with binocs too.

Isn't it better to have an binoc-elbow-animation which raise you head bit higher? Flattening grass is ok.

So you think that translucent grass is not realistic, but the flattening grass is?, you can't argue on those grounds without negating the other.

The trend I find with fans of this game is that most think whatever BIS does is set in stone and cannot be improved/changed without making this game into a mass market fps, I think it is more like, if the game is improved, then it becomes less "clunky" and you loose whatever status you think you have by playing this game in the first place.

either way you look at it, the flattening of the grass is a hack to get around the problems with the AI being able to see you and not vise versa.

And something does not need to be that close to your eye to have it fade/fuzz out, its just the way our eyes/brains work, when dealing with a 3D world and looking at distant objects, which is something that does not translate well on a 2D surface like your monitor, and as such things need to be tweaked to compensate for this even though they are not 100% realistic.

That "translucent" grass must be very close to your eyes and thin... pls go outside lie down in natural grass area and look through maybe with binocs too.

Isn't it better to have an binoc-elbow-animation which raise you head bit higher? Flattening grass is ok.

Open both eyes, hold your finger a couple feet away from your face. Focus far in the distance.

You will notice that you will see 2 fingers, however you can see behind (or "through") both of them due to having two eyes. This is the effect I am talking about, not what you thought.

Obviously this can't be simulated perfectly without one display per player's eye, but making the close grass have ~50% translucency is about as realistic as we can get with current common hardware.