Sign in to follow this  
Q1184

Jamming weapons

what would be awesome is if the duds could still kill ppl through sheer force of impact like in cod 4 :P

Would it be possible to simulate a jam or malfunction if the weapon itself was hit by incoming fire or shrapnel?

I have hit many SLA rifles with rounds from my weapon, and it always annoyed me that it never seemed to cause the slightest damage to the rifle or the shooter.

Seeing as how I'm typically using a weapon firing 7.62 NATO, that's most likely going to cause some damage to the weapon, if not injure/maim/kill the guy holding the weapon.

1 of every 10000 M136 goes off in the tube...maybe something to incorperate? wink_o.gif

/Abbe

Would it be possible to simulate a jam or malfunction if the weapon itself was hit by incoming fire or shrapnel?

Not sure about that. I'll try to bind "Hit" eventhandler to the unit's weapon, and see if it's possible.

Quote[/b] ]1 of every 10000 M136 goes off in the tube...maybe something to incorperate?  

That's doable biggrin_o.gif

Meanwhile I fixed some bugs, made AI jamming and fixing probability dependent on their skill and made actions not appear in the middle of the screen, so that you wouldn't realise you're jammed so soon.

when u say ak's its hard to say the jam amount ak 47's jam only when so rusted that parts rust together and even then just kick the parts loose and ur good to go or a simple dead or stuck round the 74 is much more realiable than the m16 (ESPECIALLY A2) but no where near the 47. the m4 and m16a4 are far more reliable than the a2 incase u need to change those values newer ak's are getting near that 47 reliablitity the g36 is also a very reliable weapon. also i wonder if mission makers could make different part missions where the day goes on for a long time where the values for chances of jamming increase as the day goes on. wonder if it isnt possible to make jamming chances based on number of shots during game? summary is m16's are the only stock weapons that are likely to jam, maybe some dud rockets would be kool 2

Why do I get the immense feeling that your only experience with firearms is the internet?..........

Anyway whatever , back on topic. It sounds like a nice addon , but I'm hesitant to use it until it works without loading a fresh magazine.

LOL! I agree... The M4 is not much different then an M16A2 (which is actually a hell of alot more reliable then the old A1 thanks to the dust cover, improved compensator, and forward assist. The main differences in the M4 aside from the optional flat top and ability to easily add customized accessories on its rail systems, is the fluted barrel (also shorter) and its ability to fire full auto instead of 3-round burst. Aside from that its the same basic rifle just more compact.

AK-47's can definitely jam (I've seen it happen) however its much less often then on the M16 family of rifles due to the loose tolerances (and hence worse accuracy) on most of the Ak series of weapons.

At any rate, ANY rifle or machine gun can have a serious jam for many different reasons (defective ammo, dammage to the bolt or bolt carrier, defective or dammaged magazine, defective or dammaged ammo belt (in the case of belt-fed MG's), carbon/dirt build up, not enough cleaning, too much lubricant on the bolt carrier/assembly, etc...

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Diden't catch the probability of a jam. I got the probability of the fix after the gun jammed, but...

New version with some major changes released. See first post.

I get some ideas..

1.Condition to jamming:

a)If you fire in auto mode at least 2-3 clips one after    another

b)thinking wink_o.gif

2.I belive it would be good,to have a popu-up contex menu,with two options if you got jamming:

a)Immidiate unjamming (you got 50% probability success,but you got the real chance,to get second jaming with prolonged unjamming operations. And you need to repeat to unjamm. And it's double time.

+add+ If you choose Immidiate unjamming and have three times failure to unjamm - you get only Weapon Examination with Double time to exam and Double time to Fix

b)Weapon examination (after examination (5 seconds or more) you discover cause of jamming and you get additional context option "Completle Unjamm Weapon" with 90% success.

its getting better! thanx for your work. i am just missing a proper animation for that mod smile_o.gif

On that problem with generating mags. I can see if I can write a program in Python to do that. Shouldn't be too tricky I think, even though I'm new to that language.

Edit: Seeing how it was written, on a single line, I think it would be very easy to write in Python. I'll write the program as soon as I've had dinner.

LOL! I agree... The M4 is not much different then an M16A2 (which is actually a hell of alot more reliable then the old A1 thanks to the dust cover, improved compensator, and forward assist. The main differences in the M4 aside from the optional flat top and ability to easily add customized accessories on its rail systems, is the fluted barrel (also shorter) and its ability to fire full auto instead of 3-round burst. Aside from that its the same basic rifle just more compact.

AK-47's can definitely jam (I've seen it happen) however its much less often then on the M16 family of rifles due to the loose tolerances (and hence worse accuracy) on most of the Ak series of weapons.

At any rate, ANY rifle or machine gun can have a serious jam for many different reasons (defective ammo, dammage to the bolt or bolt carrier, defective or dammaged magazine, defective or dammaged ammo belt (in the case of belt-fed MG's), carbon/dirt build up, not enough cleaning, too much lubricant on the bolt carrier/assembly, etc...

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

forgetting the change in the firing system involing gas operation?? which decreased carbon build up which would freeze the piston? and as for ak jams i said that couldnt be fixed in the field you show me a picture of an ak 47 that has jammed, is non repairable in the field, and isnt totally destroyed then u can say so

Perhaps you could implement a cleaning function, because the gun won't JAM if its maitenanced well, but say after two hours of play, if you haven't cleaned it, the chances of JAMMing are much stronger etc.

Bit more realistic and adds a extra step to preparation. smile_o.gif

Make it take about 2minutes, and obviously you won't be able to shoot it as it'll be field stripped.

The animation for this could be creative tounge2.gif .

Machine gun code done. After a mistype with a plus instead of a minus, ending in an endless loop and a 200MB large .txt document I got it all sorted and sent to Q1184, so hopefully we got a new version soon. yay.gif

LOL!  I agree...  The M4 is not much different then an M16A2 (which is actually a hell of alot more reliable then the old A1 thanks to the dust cover, improved compensator, and forward assist.  The main differences in the M4 aside from the optional flat top and ability to easily add customized accessories on its rail systems, is the fluted barrel (also shorter) and its ability to fire full auto instead of 3-round burst.   Aside from that its the same basic rifle just more compact.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

forgetting the change in the firing system involing gas operation?? which decreased carbon build up which would freeze the piston? and as for ak jams i said that couldnt be fixed in the field you show me a picture of an ak 47 that has jammed, is non repairable in the field, and isnt totally destroyed then u can say so

Change in the firing system? Not sure what you mean by that. At any rate I didn't see your other post. Yes its true, I've never seen AK jams that couldn't be fixed in the field. But I've also only seen one such jam on an M16A2 in which on the bolt, the top portion (I'm not an armorer so I don't know the exact name of the part) held together by two screws (put in with a hex wrench) came loose and so gas was leaking out the sides of the bolt.

Other then that, most M16A2 jams are solved by applying S.P.O.R.T.S

The worst jam I've ever seen was on a M249 that required an armor to fix the weapon later. M249's hate dirt but are generally reliable as long as you don't get dirt/sand into the clip on ammo-boxes/bags or use loose ammo belts that may get dirt/sand on them.

At any rate, non-field repairable jams are probably not what this mod is about. If I'm not mistaken its about the usually comon jams that a soldier will experience with their weapons.

The majority of such jams will be those that a quick manual pull back and release of the charging handle will fix to clear the rifle. Nevertheless such jams can get you killed especially in a CQB environment.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

very very agreed i think i used a bit too much hyperbole in my previous statements but that is why his current values are 95% of jams are fixable right there what the true discussion is how much should jamming occur all together idk how the convo got so centered on massive jams instead of how much jamming lol i wish we could make a good numerical list based on the reliablity of one weapon making that say a 5 in reliability and rate those from there? maybe each of us who knows about weapons could throw out a rough list and and come to a consensus?

EDIT

Your story about the serious m16a2 failure just reminded me of a funny story my brother told me once when he was in training for the National Guard. He was driving a 5t truck down an obstacle course, ended u going to fast and the vibrations shook apart one of the m16a2s carried by a soldier in the back of the truck lol, i think it had something to do with the firing pin i really cant remember that well

Sure it's possible. I'm doing it for 40mm grenades in my little explosives mod (not released yet). Maybe i'll include RPG's too. But it implies "createVehicle" command which doesn't give you a credit for the kill...

You need to "create vehicle" even if the projectile detonates?

That's a pain, isn't it?

I don't care about not getting credit for the kill/s, I use this sort of modifications for single player only, I like playing MP too much to chance not being able to play in a server because of whatever mods I'm running. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I get some ideas..

1.Condition to jamming:

a)If you fire in auto mode at least 2-3 clips one after another

b)thinking

2.I belive it would be good,to have a popu-up contex menu,with two options if you got jamming:

a)Immidiate unjamming (you got 50% probability success,but you got the real chance,to get second jaming with prolonged unjamming operations. And you need to repeat to unjamm. And it's double time.

+add+ If you choose Immidiate unjamming and have three times failure to unjamm - you get only Weapon Examination with Double time to exam and Double time to Fix

b)Weapon examination (after examination (5 seconds or more) you discover cause of jamming and you get additional context option "Completle Unjamm Weapon" with 90% success.

Minon, that sound like the "use small med kit" and "Use large med kit" from the 6thSense.eu Pack1, and that system works nice with 6thSense.eu Pack1, so that should work nice like you descrive, I would like that too.

Laterz.

Sure it's possible. I'm doing it for 40mm grenades in my little explosives mod (not released yet). Maybe i'll include RPG's too. But it implies "createVehicle" command which doesn't give you a credit for the kill...

You need to "create vehicle" even if the projectile detonates?

That's a pain, isn't it?

I don't care about not getting credit for the kill/s, I use this sort of modifications for single player only, I like playing MP too much to chance not being able to play in a server because of whatever mods I'm running. wink_o.gif

Well, it depends on whether or not you want to make your RPG rocket arm at safe distance as it does in reality (afaik it arms when the rocket motor kicks in, at some 10 meters from the shooter). If yes, you'll have to make the weapon use dud rockets as ammo, and only after a certain time after the shot createvehicle a working rocket (with a certain probability, otherwise it will stay dummy to simulate failure to detonate). If you don't care about safety  tounge2.gif then createvehicle would only be used to create dud rockets after the shot.

Also, thanks everybody for suggestions, right now i'm concentrating on optimizing the code and hunting for bugs, but when everything is quite stable I'll definitely look into more sofisticated unjamming procedures smile_o.gif

Version 0.4 Beta is up smile_o.gif  This version may be considered "final" in a certain way, as it supports all the intended weapons, functions as it's supposed to and (hopefully) is free of annoying bugs. Next step is implementation of barrel overheating which will take quite some time to research and develop a framework for. If you happen to have any mathematical (aka formulae) or statistical reference, or personal experience that has to do with the effects of weapon overheating, please point me to it on these pages or via PM.