Sign in to follow this  
Apache-LOL-

Finish  ARMA 1 first

Hi

How do you freak  up your gamers community by dividing them to much .......

Most played ofp then moved to arma or played both dont you ppl think that this is a bit ridiculous to bring out a halve made game ? with lots of bugs and then work on a new version, witout fixing the first one ?.

I would say finish the first version first and give us a normal working dedicated server for linux (finish the beta) fast, and fix the sounds , the sounds now are even worse than a freaking old atari game or simular.

Or is arma 1 so freaked up that you can call this a big failure?

Greets

Sales. Sales. Sales. whistle.gif

BI has to act economically to survive and prosper. icon_rolleyes.gif

"Without fixing the first one",

I'm not sure what the announced v1.09 means, if not "fixing the first one".

Sounds? Install a soundpack that's better to your likings and make sure your drivers are up2date.

I hear a lot of positive comments on the linux dedicated server, but also for some it's not working smoothly, im sure they do their best to get it working for all, though if that's going to happen fast... Who knows.

The good thing about being a consumer is that if you don't like something, you can not use it.

Arma is fine, besides a few bugs and tons of missing effects, (like cars burning rubber when quickly turning). The only real improvement needed, that in my opinion makes Arma very fustrating, is the AI.

It's so difficult to make missions because the AI is so unpredictable about follow waypoints. I know they prefer the street or very wide open spaces because they never go inbetween houses. Then, when I get them to follow my waypoints correctly, something ends up going wrong if there are enemies.

Despite whether BIS decides to "finish" Arma, I'm really looking forward to ArmaII, and the AI looks to be a huge relief.

@ Oct. 21 2007,09:19)]Hi

How do you freak up your gamers community by dividing them to much .......

Most played ofp then moved to arma or played both dont you ppl think that this is a bit ridiculous to bring out a halve made game ? with lots of bugs and then work on a new version, witout fixing the first one ?.

I would say finish the first version first and give us a normal working dedicated server for linux (finish the beta) fast, and fix the sounds , the sounds now are even worse than a freaking old atari game or simular.

Or is arma 1 so freaked up that you can call this a big failure?

Greets

Yes, Arma is freaked up failure, so buy ArmA2 smile_o.gif

Many folks waited loyally with bated breath for ArmA thinking that it would be the best thing since OFP and would reawaken the old OFP spirit in us all! I was one of those folks! I played around with OFP for over 5 years; ArmA went back on the shelf after two months!

The question is: how many are now going to wait with baited breath for ArmA2? ... I'm afraid I am not one of them!

Hmmm. Maybe OFP had just died a natural death anyway and anything ‘too’ similar would just not rekindle the flames! What is needed now is a completely ‘new’ (bug free) game with an all-new engine and lots of fancy new features! Otherwise forget it!   sad_o.gif

The question is: how many are now going to wait with baited breath for ArmA2? ... I'm afraid I am not one of them!

I think the same.

They had a big bonus for OFP/Res and I bought ArmA with closed eyes. My fault. (Who didn't?)

Their next product has in fact to be competitive and will be evaluated as critically as from some random ordinary developer. smile_o.gif

@ Oct. 21 2007,09:19)]Or is arma 1 so freaked up that you can call this a big failure?

If you dont like ArmA1 now, you never will.

Quote[/b] ]The question is: how many are now going to wait with baited breath for ArmA2? ... I'm afraid I am not one of them!

I see your sentiment and to be honest i would probably agree if i had not played OFP and simply joined bis games Via armed assault.

The reason i dont agree is purely and simply based on sitting back and reading the facts about what happened to what should have been "OFP2" , Bis and codies fell ot over xbox elite etc and all the other shite mixed in vbs etc etc ,this made it very hard to see the realisation of the true sequal to ofp ever happening and to be honest i was gutted, if we think for a minute , we realise here is a group of software developers that have a proven record with mil sims (ofp1) not only that but there love is for RPG games , this for me is the perfect mix a military game with rpg elements , something like cwc campaign where your every move effects the following actions ,now to cut a long story short here is how i see what happened instead of A to B we have gone from A to C , where B is simply a needed financial boost in order to produce C and if thats the case , i dont give a dogs bollock how we/they got there if Bis produce in arma2 what they always promised OFP2 would be ,then they already have my order.

The cold hard fact is that Arma as admitted by Bis was released unpolished and the eastern sales helped them to continue development , the havent said if it was development of the patches or arma usa or queens gambit or anything else , but for me if it has helped them produce arma2 then i feel my money is well invested and if i had known at the time i would have bought 10 copies from czech shop.

just my own opinions , others may differ

p.s

whats more important for me is that we establish that in no way on this earth ,while i have an hole in my ass ,can armed assault be described as the sequal to OFP wink_o.gif

lot of people not realize ArmA is in 'bad' position because

it was released before most 'next gen' titles yet it's compared with them all the time

it got very 'short' development cycle (1.5y max for whole game not engine)

it was rushed by publisher pressure yet it got minimal budget compared to most next gen games

it wasn't build for next gen hardware

yet it was able offer what no other 'tFPS' before (streamed terrain for example)

AI is definitely 'way' more advanced that OFP® AI and even more programable (FSM)

scripting got enhanced enough too

visual improvement is noticeable too

what i mean if it was possible and You were able 'clap' hand and instantly transfer OFP/OFPR campaign into ArmA then it would be better experience ...

i agree ArmA got tons of problems (e.g. like overdraw on bushes)

some are solvable either by BIS or community some not

but then what You want BIS to do ? to stop developing games just because ArmA was not perfect ? or to support it 4ever ?

ArmA 2 is evolution (like UT2003 to UT2004 or to UT2007/UT3)

dislike this way ? wait for demo then decide

Agree to most of your points Dwarden.

However be careful with that one:

Quote[/b] ]it was rushed by publisher pressure

Most likely no one will ever know the real truth, however it is far

to easy to put the blame on the evil publishers here.

BI, like most developer, maybe even more, can and had decided

about the content, the quality level they wanted to offer -

maybe even to a larger part the schedules.

If it was rushed, than by their forum fans and BI itself. At least

thats my view. wink_o.gif

Maybe you can remember about the bugged finger at a weapon's

trigger on some screenshot ... that one was fixed ASAP. whistle.gif

In my view BI didn't learn some things from OFP.

They had to learn it from the hard way with ArmA.

If they have learnt the crucial things, ArmA2 will tell.

Hmmmm....IIRC then OFP was published under the umbrella of both BIS and Codemasters and it turned out to be a hell of a war sim. Then everybody talked bad about Codemasters, BIS and Codemasters parted and BIS alone made a new OFP game and that seems to suck or at least disappoint as a war sim.

Well, I'm really curious about that new OFP game by Codemasters... wink_o.gif

Grim

Well, lets just think this through. What were the main problems with Arma that made it, as others say, unplayable.

- AI

- Movement

Anything else?

Now what do we know about Arma2?

- From the one video, we know that the AI has been drasticly improved. Not perfect, but more than acceptable in my opinion.

- If I remember this correctly, BIS said during the 'Game Convention' that you can walk while reloading. Although this isn't the only problem with movement, it's a step in the right direction.

All I'm trying to show you guys is that even though you may not like Arma, BIS will hopefully fix some of the problems and you may like ArmaII. I suggest that you do wait for reviews, but there's no reason to lable ArmaII early, especially when everything we've seen has shown improvement.

I suggest that you do wait for reviews, but there's no reason to lable ArmaII early, especially when everything we've seen has shown improvement.

I am certainly not labelling ArmA2 early nor do I think will anyone else, but expectations will certainly have changed and it will be more a question of 'wait see and hope' rather than 'wait see and expect'!

I will look forward to anything new from BIS, just no longer with baited breath!  wink_o.gif

My expectations for OFP2 from Codemasters are the same. I’ll wait see and ‘hope’!

To be honest I respect every point mentioned here on why Arma is/was flawed when released, but today, almost a year after it´s release there are still so many flaws/bugs in it that it´s really, really hard to create missions that do work without interference of one of the numerous bugs.

There have been fixes, but the list is still very long and what dissapoints me most is the attitude of BIS. First they apologize for the rushed release and promise to fix Arma, now we have learned that they are working hard on Arma 2 and will not fix some of the most annoying bugs. To be honest the changelog for the upcoming 1.09 patch doesn´t impress me much right now as it doesn´t list any needed changes to AI, pathfinding and vehicle control or gfx-update for foliage. There a technical issues with Arma that do not get adressed. I´m wondering why I have to set "render frames ahead" manually to 0 in my driver settings to have no lag while playing Arma. This is something almost every Arma user has to do and is doing, so there has to be something wrong with the program itself.

While I did accept the fact that it was rushed and all that, but they should be coming up with some real solutions now and not postpone the bugfixing for Arma to Arma 2. That´s just no fair game and doesn´t help to improve the BIS - community relations at all. People expect Arma to be fixed. They payed for it and now it looks like they are left with an incomplete and bugged product while BIS moves on to Arma 2.

That´s why I feel uncomfortable with BIS right now. You shouldn´t make promises you don´t keep.

Btw, the suggestions section for Arma 2 is quite funny imo. There was such a section for Arma and it had almost the same set of suggestions for Arma as we see today in the new section for Arma 2. What we have learned from Arma 1 suggestions thread is that it had almost the same effect as the addons request thread for Arma. You can spend quite some time posting ideas and all but in the end almost none of them will be taken to the game.

Keeping in mind that Arma 2 is supposed to be released in 2008, I´m not holding my breath right now and I can already see another post by Maruk telling us that the timeframe for the release was too tight and that´s why there are problems...

Still, I hope this is not going to happen, but imo BIS has lost a big chunk of their reputation by now with the handling of Arma and the aftermath of its release.

My 2 cent.

Agree with Balschiouw on many points.

Q&Dwarden;

AFAIK BIS got it's publishers very very late and had the upper hand in choice of release date and release state. I don't think the publishers are to blame at all. It's like I said before, the quote from Maruk, where he says that he is sorry that it was released in a fragile state, but they had to release something or possibly not release anything at all.

That's sad, but it's indeed time for 1.09 and possibly more, even when they work on ArmA2.

That Suma posted, that the autocenter-bullshit will not get fixed for ArmA, but for ArmA II pisses me off.

Why the hell should i believe, that some bugs can be fixed at all.

They could be a sign that something is wrong with the engine itself.

The bugs in ArmA II will than be fixed in ArmA III, or what?

btw.

When will we get patch 1.09?

To release an unfinished game is normal this days, but at least the MAJOR bugs should be fixed with patches.

To say, we will fix that in the next game, is simply not acceptable, no way. mad_o.gif

ArmA 1 isn't finished until the final patch is released, when the final patch is released then ArmA 1 is finished......