xeno

co30 Domination! One Team

Nope, if you want to use default values you dont need to declare any of them in the init.sqf.

And now an idea, I dont know if this might apply to Domination becase I've not played this mission yet, but you may play with the following rule:

The losing team gets more technology. Being this a coop mission, the enemy might get more automatic systems (like automatic missile launchers, SAMs, for example) if the player's side gets close to win the game. And also the technology level might increase too (from short range SAMs to long range SAMs or AT launchers). Same for the player's side, you may enable more console options as the player's side gets less winning chances or increase the number of available options, or provide manable SAMs or AT launchers, etc.

Nice idea for protracting games.

Basically mando, domination is capture the island done really well with side missions to earn bonus vehicles for the team.

It's also class based - just read through the first couple of posts.

Anything which keeps players interested in the long game without alienating join in progress players is good in my book.

That has always been EVO's biggest problem - if you're not there from the beginning it's hard to rank up when the tank gunners and flyboys are blowing the shit out of everything with almost complete imunity.

Domination's side missions are pure gold though - short and simple, perfect for casual gamers whilst still providing long term bonuses in the form of new toys for the long haulers.

Adding your scripts to allow for air support options is agin great for the casual gamers that want to blow something up - or at least ppush the button that makes that happen - and also gives the long haulers something to do as it can be a timed resource that needs management to be effective.

I haven't added any mando sam launchers or anything yet - I assume I'd need mando missiles to do that?

Yes, you would need mando missile (addon or script suite), but also a clear idea of what you want to include to make sure the game doesnt become umbalanced (you may provide hi-tech to the player's side, but then do the same for the AI enemy side). If you have plans to include it I may help you.

@ragki...

Are you trying to run the mission on a dedicated server yourself and join that server (from the same machine), or are you just trying to join a public server from the in game multiplayer server list?

Yeah, I should have been clearer.

I have a dedicated server, and I just downloaded Domination mission pack and dropped it in the MPMissions folder in the dedicated server(as usual). No config work. After that if I try to join the server I get the error I posted above.

Is there a required addon for this mission?

Is there a required addon for this mission?

You do need ArmA 1.14. Nothing else.

Xeno

I've been digging around through the domination scripts (of which there are A LOT), but I can't see where you've set how it's only the two arty operators that can both call arty and rescue prisoners.

There's nothing in their init lines, so I'm assumng it's connected to their individual unit names or group ID?

Take a close look into x_setupplayer.sqf and x_playerweapons.sqf wink_o.gif.

Actions get removed in x_checkkill.sqf.

Xeno

thanks xeno...*goes back to rummaging through lines of code...

quick question for the code monkeys:

I'm aware of the addaction command and I've used it to allow individual soldier units to be able to call for air support using mandos scripts:

this addaction ["Call Air Support", "mando_bombs\mando_airsupportdlg.sqf"]

in the init line of a unit. The only problem with this is one that OFP had - anyone approaching the unit in question also has the action appear in their action menu when they get closer than about 5 metres. Is there anyway to avoid this happening? Should I be using a different command?

The only problem with this is one that OFP had - anyone approaching the unit in question also has the action appear in their action menu when they get closer than about 5 metres. Is there anyway to avoid this happening? Should I be using a different command?

Don't put it in the init line of the unit, add it only localy on the client that needs it (like the artillery operators for example).

When you put it in the init line the code will get executed on all clients.

Xeno

...so, what's a better way of doing it?

at some point I'd need a script call, how should I call it?

If I call it from the init line, I'm also running it on all clients.

Run from the init line and refer to the unit name?

My understanding on the more technical side of coding - specifically with what code gets executed on client or server and when - are weak. How do call a script locally for the client that needs it only?

Refer to a specific unit via the init.sqf?

eg: if {getname _p == air support dude, _p addaction ["CAS","mando_blah"]

something like that? Help me obiwan, you're my only hope...

You will find some interesting methods of adding the action here and here.

For example, add the action depending on rank of the player, or if he has a laser designator, etc. Everything checked from init.sqf not from init fields of units or objects.

Guys,

How does one go about adding addons into this mission?

Specifically, I'd like to add hotshotmike's silenced SPR into the ammo box near the flag and every ammo box created by MHQs.

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&id=206

I'd also like to change the side mission prizes. I'd like to remove the AH6 and have the game gift the team something else, maybe Franzes F/A 18.

I've tried a few times, but made varying degrees of mess, usually ending up with no addons and the mission stuck at night time.

Any hints gratefully recieved.

Tanky -Paul-

Tankbuster,

if you read through the init.sqf of the domination mission you'll find an array nicely commented about how to change or add new bonus vehicles.

As for the contents of the ammo crate, I think that's covered in one of the scripts in the scipt folder in a fairly obvious place too.

All the scripts for domination are pretty well commented to make it all obvious.

The only major problem with adding an addon to a weapons crate is that you'll either have to ensure that anyone running the mission also has the addon OR depbo the addon and include all the contents with the mission (which will really up the filesize if a new 3D model is required)

OR you could maybe include some kind of addon check to determine if a client has the required addon or not, and just make a slightly different crate spawn if they haven't - I'm pretty sure that's possible - just don't ask me for the code for it!

Good luck!

OR depbo the addon and include all the contents with the mission (which will really up the filesize if a new 3D model is required)

hey I didnt know this does this mean you can auto dl addons with a mission

so i could include the addons I like for my mission and it will auto dl them to the clients if i just unpbo them?

Im not worried about filesize its just for a few friends really

To the best of my knowledge - yes.

However you could also just distribute your mission in a rar or 7-zip file and include all necessary addons.

My advice would be to keep the number of required addons to an absolute minimum or people just won't touch your mission for downloading.

The better alternative as I mentioned above is to script two different types of ammo crate and have the mission spawn the one containing weapons which the client has - although I don't know what effect that would have if that client shot someone that didn't have the addon weapon installed - probably a ctd for the shooter and the victim.

OR depbo the addon and include all the contents with the mission (which will really up the filesize if a new 3D model is required)

hey I didnt know this does this mean you can auto dl addons with a mission

so i could include the addons I like for my mission and it will auto dl them to the clients if i just unpbo them?

Im not worried about filesize its just for a few friends really

Is there a method for including an Addon in a mission? I haven't seen it. If so, it must be documented somewhere here in the forums or posted in the Biki - anyone have a pointer?

I highly doubt it can be done though since I haven't seen it done anywhere.

Is there a way to increase the number of rounds fired in an artillery barrage?

@dogsbd - check the scripts folder for something relevant, there are two scripts concerned with arty 1 and 2.

@mando - thanks for the links, they made for interesting reading.

Is there a way of transfering the airsupport console action to the current leader of a squad in a dynamic way so that only a unit leader will have the action?

The reason for it is to prevent servers where the squad leaders aren't being played still have access to air support (which will transfer to any player joining in a more senior role in the squad)

First, you dont need to use the console via actions, you may use it by direct execution of the script if needed (check its online help).

If you want to use an action, then it is up to you how to manage and transfer it. Of course you may have a monitoring script checking who is the higest ranked player in a group and then providing him the action and storing the current user. If the highest ranked player changes then you remove the action from the old user and assign the action to the new user. You have many many ways to implement it.

I'm aware it doesn't need to be executed by an action - I've just chosen to do it that way because artillery is already included via action in the domination mission so it fit with current setup, plus it's easy to script wink_o.gif

Could someone point me to a good code snippet dump so I can grab ideas?

@mando

what's the basic procedure for getting cruise missile attacks working with the air support console? I've added the mando missile folder to the mission and included the 3 .h files in description.ext.

What kind of unit or init line do I need to add to the mission to allow cruise strikes?

You need to define a cruise missile launcher (a ship, vehicle, building or object) for your side as well as a cruise missile launcher position in model coordinates (from where of the launcher the missile will be fired), same as in the demo missions. For particular questions about mando bombs, it might be better to use directly the mando bombs thread.

Ok, I've got domination nearly completely tinkered with...

I've left the shilkas as the only form of AA defense against mando air support - they perform remarkably well against most attacks with exception of SADARM equipped bombers.

I've made air support available to all players, but severely limited amount of air assets available as well as types of support and included farily long reload times - thanks for all the scripting help mando! notworthy.gif

just have mando missiles to implement so the cruise missile feature is enabled - got a bit more reading to do...

@xeno - if you haven't looked at mandos air support scripts yet, may I humbly email you the tweaked mission I have so far?

No addons required, all scripts included.

OK I have made a few minor mods to my files and I save it, re-pbo'd it as a slightly different file name so as to differentiate my mod from the stock files. But when I start a mission I see 2 listed as "co30_Domination_OneTeam_3_02_West_AI".

I am assuming the title displayed in game, in the menu when setting up a mission, is stored in a file somewhere but I don't know where.

@Dogsbd

The title displayed when setting up the mission in the multiplayer menus is stored in description.ext.

It can easily be changed in the editor though - just click where it says intel in the top right (where you'd change weather effect sliders and time of day. The mission name and comments are there. Change them, save them, description.ext auto updated. Done.

The title displayed in the "opening credits" of domination are scripted. The are either to be found in the "intro" section of the mission (switch from mission to intro to outro in the editor), or it's probably buried in a script in the domination scripts folder.

stored in a file somewhere but I don't know where.

desc.ext

*edit*Ah. quick draw turk got there before me. smile_o.gif

yeah - I get that a lot, people seem to think my nick implies I'm a turkish male...very odd.

It's actually from the original Turok game waaaaaaay back on the N64. The GMT is just for timezone.