Sign in to follow this  
klavan

Linux: any chance?

That's it. Can we Linux users have a dream?

I've searched through the old topics and i found a thread about such an eventuality, but It's very dated (2003-2004) and none from BIS answered. In addiction the situation has changed from that time as the Linux community is growing quite fast thanks to distros like Debian, PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu inlove.gif (just to mention few) and the hardware industry is now looking with more interest to this OS (AMD recently decided to open their drivers sources for ATI cards for example).

That's why i decided to open a new topic.

Thanks.

Klavan

No, we are not planning to create a native Linux version, most of all because we have no intention to create an OpenGL based version.

Only way to run ArmA or ArmA 2 on Linux is and will be via DirectX emulation, when/if such emulation is available.

I have to say I don't see how BIS could make a Linux client so that it would make business sense.

Some reasons:

- DirectX is what BIS uses for their games and it is not supported by Linux. I know some incomplete wrapper libraries exist but they are not a real solution in my opinion. Show me how you get ArmA client working on Linux until you promote those wrapper libraries and how much time it took to make it work... and tell also what kind of performance you get compared to running it on Windows, and if there are any new problems during gameplay.

- Fragmentation of open-source community and (seemingly) fast development create problems for Linux desktops. Not stable and uniform enough a platform and I see this is not changing anytime soon as it is open-source. This can lead to incompatibility problems even harder to solve than on Windows.

- Graphic card manufacturers are said to concentrate their efforts into ensuring good DirectX performance, leaving OpenGL not as good. This must be a business decision for them and not emotional. Why would BIS use OpenGL instead of Direct3D (and probably something else should be changed to portable components too) if they know that Direct3D gives better performance (?) and a significant majority of the potential customers are Windows-users?

- Not enough people who are interested in buying Linux games from BIS. The few copies BIS would sell would not make up for the development costs. Yes I am guessing, but it is a good guess I think tounge2.gif just do a poll among all your friends and you can make the same conclusion.

Hehehe, one idea... why not open-source Operation Flashpoint: Resistance?

Because this would render the game developer BIS obsolete the very same day.

Look at, say, the DXDLL "hack" and what it can add in terms of eyecandy. Look at the Finmod or FFUR total modifications and how far they enhance the gameplay. Now remove the restrictions caused by the hardcoded parts in the binary. ;-)

No, we are not planning to create a native Linux version, most of all because we have no intention to create an OpenGL based version.

Only way to run ArmA or ArmA 2 on Linux is and will be via DirectX emulation, when/if such emulation is available.

OK. Very clear. Thanks. smile_o.gif

Klavan

SeppSchrot I will have to disagree with you, I don't think open-sourcing Operation Flashpoint would make BIS obsolete.

- OFP's source code is very old, you are not even nearly going to beat BIS by getting it.

- Mod groups are unlikely to be able to modify OFP's source code so that it is anywhere near the same level where BIS is today. They would be already years behind in development. BIS sets the benchmarks and if you copy their old products you are for certainty staying far, far behind as long as you do that.

- Also take into notice that the code would of course have a license attached to it which would prevent commercial usage. Sure some people who are seriously developing commercial games could take a look at how BIS did OFP and "re-write" something as to make it their "own" code. But as I said you are far behind.

- Even though I use many open-source products and like them, I will have to say that an open-source developer group will not, in my honest opinion, be able to make a new product out of OFP's source code which would make BIS obsolete or even challenge them. If you have used desktop Linux for some years, you could have some ideas why I think like this. Open-source projects have their positives, but for certainty have their negatives too. Producing a competing product for the products which BIS is making today is going to be very, very hard even if you have OFP's source code. Try to organise together a group of people who could do that... we'll see how it goes.

What I am saying is, BIS will not lose because of open-sourcing OFP:R. If they lose it's because of something else  rofl.gif

Hello Baddo,

I can't negate your points.

Maybe I too much ruled out the selling points for the mass market where the cash is made.

Quote[/b] ]

If you have used desktop Linux for some years, you could have some ideas why I think like this. Open-source projects have their positives, but for certainty have their negatives too.

Actually I have and I write this posting on a Gnome session. And yes, I understand very well what you mean ;-)

On the other hand, I've been often able to make an already good thing on my desktop perfect for me by changing one or two lines in the source. Would be outstanding to have the opportunity to do the same on my beloved Resistance in a performant way.

But were would be the need for BIS then? What are they supposed to do if nobody needs them anymore to implement a "#{un}lock" command or fix that pistol tracer ammo thing?

Because this would render the game developer BIS obsolete the very same day.

I very much doubt anything like that would happen, if you look at the quality of the majority, if not all, of the free & open source games out there they dont come close to commercial AAA games. It is simply alot of work, large part of which is often not as much fun as you might expect, and for a game a very large development group is not usually a good thing. All the large mods sort of support this, since if game development would be easy they would be independent games, not mods for existing commercial games smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Graphic card manufacturers are said to concentrate their efforts into ensuring good DirectX performance, leaving OpenGL not as good.

Do you have any source for this claim? D3D and OpenGL should be pretty close performance vice, D3D9 is said to have a large overhead from function calls which supposedly makes it worse than OpenGL (But D3D10 fixes this). OpenGL also provides the 'fancy' stuff almost always before D3D, plus for OpenGL the graphics chip manufacturers can provide their own extensions which can be used to get better performance using features that are not even available in D3D (Such as the nvidia automatic shadow volume capping extension).

Open sourcing OFP would be interesting, it would make the game live on and would provide a nice codebase for people to learn, much like the sources of ID software games have. Plus it would be good PR for BIS smile_o.gif However it might not even be possible if there is code licensed from outside BIS included...

Quote[/b] ]Hehehe, one idea... why not open-source Operation Flashpoint: Resistance?

Now that would be the ultimate thankyou ,before bis go off to commercial military simulation land smile_o.gif.

i would never ask for it ,because they have been very community spirited ,but an old saying. "you dont ask ,you dont get".