Sign in to follow this  
hawkins308

Operation Bulletholes 2

Alright, I know I had a thread going. However I just wanted to start a fresh one because im so passionate about this. The overall goal is Alot more bulletholes in ARMA that can last for as long as user wants. So potentioally thousands of bulletholes, etc...

Im just posting some renditions of how awesome it would be. These are just photoshopped screens(Im sure that will be obvious)

Heres a rendition of a truck after a 240 BRAVO opened up on it.

bulletholes.jpg

Heres a rendition of a guy with a few holes in him, and a shot up building.

bulletholes2copy.jpg

The overall best thing, would be different sized holes per caliber. Maybe just 3 sizes, small(.223, 5.45x39, etc..) Medium(pistols, .308, 7.62x54R) Large(12.7, etc)

Bulletholes for Metal, Wood, Glass, and People.

I wish I knew how but I am clueless. I just know it would be fantastic.

It would be nice, but I'd go so far as to say its impossible.

1. the bullethole texture isn't a round decal, its a hemisphere, so a detailed hole wouldn't work.

2. I haven't seen anything in the config that lets you control any aspect of a material's bullethole. All I know is that most things get a black hole and trees get a light brown hole. I don't know how they did this.

3. Bulletholes can be attached to simple animations like car wheels, but they don't seem to work on .rtm animated objects.

The current bullet holes are actually bigger/smaller based on the damage done by the bullet, but it is only really noticable between the weapon classes (ie sniper, assault rifle, pistol). There is always hope that BIS is working on a better system though!

It'd be amazing for the atmosphere to see bulletholes like in those pics of yours. Imagine a mission where you have to make your way to "bravo" team's last known position. Getting there you find them dead, ambushed. Scared of coming under fire yourself you look around to find that all fire must have come from the West. Placing yourself accordingly, your team just gets into position as the Western forest erupts with gunfire, sending bullets all around you...

I remember some game called Red Faction, that had the nicest bullet dammage ive ever seen. F.E.A.R has nice fake holes.... but im gopin with ARMA5 or VBS5 they will have dynamic destructible meshes

How would this affect performance? Is it just a matter of

replacing a default bullet strike-mark texture?

Suma said in some other thread that it's not a texture, but a shader. I'm not sure you can just replace it.

Suma said in some other thread that it's not a texture, but a shader. I'm not sure you can just replace it.

Hmm, as I haven't really followed this I didn't read that comment, but is there any clue that bullet holes are even identifiable as objects?

slx0edit2ic4.jpg

It's not impossible, you just need someone as Solus to use his scripting skills.

He did not replace the original shader though, I THINK he just created a script that would attach textures to calculated impact areas.

In this image you can still see some airborne bulletimpacts to the left but that is allready fixed.

The image is shot using SLX Arma beta, when the mod is released it may not appear like it does in this image. I take no credit for the content, I only made the screenshot.

Holy hell! Paragraphic 1 that is fanTASTic! You just made my year with that news. Solus is a genious, seriously BI should hire him because SLX for OFP is spectacular.

Alright, I think im officially at ease now on the bullet holes. If Solus is on it, and we know his reputation speaks for itself. Then I can just sit back and wait:) yay.gif

Paragraphic: Do you know how accurate the bullet hole placement is? If I wanted to

try grouping shots on a target would it make any sense?

600mgroup.jpg

I will test that out for you.

Solus mentioned something about the accuracy a while ago, that with the current way of calculating this it's more some kind of "place_somewhere_around_this_area" thing, but if it places something in a radius of 5mm's or 50cm's I'm not sure

Wow! I can't wait until there's a bullethole release. It looks excellent.

Shaders pumping the textures, k, that's not that hard to understand and imo 'trivial' shadercoding nowadays. Anyhow, what i ask myself is, how deep can you go by scripting ArmA, to manipulate such an engine-setting like the fact, that there are only approx. 10 decals shown, before they start to disappear with every new hit right in the sequence they were painted to the objects?

If i understand the post from paragraphic correctly, then it is possible to paint decals on every object with a script?! Are those decals then 'faked ones' or real 'engine-side decals'?

How do you decide whether you have hit an object 'house', or just a wooden part on it? Do you have access to the object's hierarchy to make such an decision or are you just categorising the objects into concrete, wood and glass?

What about the predictable impact on performance in MP, in the meaning of sync etc.

I find it very interesting if one would have access to such things via the scriptingengine.

More intel on this would be appreciated!

Paragraphic: Do you know how accurate the bullet hole placement is? If I wanted to

try grouping shots on a target would it make any sense?

600mgroup.jpg

I seems that I cannot recreate such a thing atm. I will ask Solus if he can answer your question or maybe even show an example smile_o.gif

...Heres a rendition of a truck after a 240 BRAVO opened up on it.

bulletholes.jpg

The problem with this car in ArmA is:

- if the car was hit by such alot of ammo-hits (as in the picture) he gets rusty and the bulletholes disappear.

- there dont exist a car-window-pane in ArmA, so there cant be no bulletholes on it.

- the slx-hiteffect-mod-bullet-holes dont stay on moving targets (for example cars).

- if the car was hit by such alot of ammo-hits (as in the picture) he gets rusty and the bulletholes disappear.

- there dont exist a car-window-pane in ArmA, so there cant be no bulletholes on it.

- the slx-hiteffect-mod-bullet-holes dont stay on moving targets (for example cars).

What in heaven's name do you mean there aren't car windows in ArmA?

What in heaven's name do you mean there aren't car windows in ArmA?

That is what i mean:

http://files.filefront.com//;8386460;;/

(with high settings and with SLX-hiteffects-mod)

2 or more bullets shot through a car window do not damage the car-glass but the wall behind the car...

This is a good point. This would seem to suggest that a

revision of the damage texturing rules would be necessary

too (make it go all rusty only after it burns out, for example

- although a car shouldn't easily light up when you shoot it,

anyway).

This is a good point. This would seem to suggest that a

revision of the damage texturing rules would be necessary

too (make it go all rusty only after it burns out, for example

- although a car shouldn't easily light up when you shoot it,

anyway).

Exactly. That is what we need.