Sign in to follow this  
Törni

ZU-23 AA Guns

Someone made a mod in which Shilka fires with all four barrels. There seems to be limitations in the current static weapons the way BIS made them. Mainly there is no recoil. In reality even tripod mounted weapons would have this effect. The kickback would make harder to score hits even for the player.

By the way I'm mixing new sounds atm wink_o.gif

well if you cant make the weapons kick back then just add dispersion like the Jam hd weapons for ofp had smile_o.gif

Skavens mercs pack have hd soldiers in it but they are not called jam. Btw i dont think people mind that much for a stationary ATGM or mobile, just make a stationary now and later when tools are out make it be mobile wink_o.gif besides i think some spawn script can be made that creates and uncreates the atgm via action menu would be nice. I remember tales of war mod for ofp made a few nice stationary ATGM launchers for both west n east sides.

Take your time and work out whats most completed first like the t-55 pack biggrin_o.gif btw will there be t-55's for racs side too?

New sounds are ready and quaranteed to make an unaware player to shit to his or her pants (if the volume is high enough)  biggrin_o.gif

Big thanks to Jarppi for those video references thumbs-up.gif

Np. Also upped one of my 23 ItK 61 vids.

http://www.hellfish.org/~jarppi/MVI_0294.zip - Filmed in Juurikko, Finland this Spring. This one's filmed with faster than average refresh rate (60 fps), and shows the Zu23 muzzle flashes very clearly. And keep in mind this one was shot in broad daylight.

1.1 is out. Check the thread's first post for the download link. Thanks for the feedback. Thanks Jarppi for the vids your name already in the new readme thumbs-up.gif

Just checked it out, excellent work. Imho, you should really shorten the burst length to 4 or 6 shots, but 10 could work with the modernized version. Afterall, the first sergei clips (sergei4-6 + 95) were shot with the modernized version 23 ItK 95, which should be something like the russian modernized version.

If you intend to make the two-seater variant, shorten the bursts. It's impossible to hit an aerial target with that long burst.

Secondly, decrease the reload times. Trained crew reloads the thing in 5 secs. The crew in the last video i posted consisted only Karelian Brigade NCO candidates, soon-to-be group leaders. Trained a bit in all the roles in a 23 ItK-group. Secondly, the full ammo cans were stored 10m behind the gun for safety reasons, in real situation they would be 2m around the gun (NE SE SW NW corners), and would be changed by people trained to do ONLY that during war. A few seconds tops, as I said. Even changing the barrels dont take as long as it takes to reload in ArmA. ;(

Also I thought the rof was a bit low, remembering that sergei shoots ~18 rounds a second per gun (17 with brand new barrels, 19 with the oldest and loosest ones), but I could be wrong too, didnt check the config or anything, just felt wrong.

Also if you have time, you could do some basic equipment used in Zu23-group, such as toolkits, spare barrel boxes, radios, ammo cans and such. Can find my old field manual (maastovihko) for a complete list of things that go with the gun.

Ok. Sounds great. Equipment would add nice touches for the gun model. The burst is taken from the lenght of the modernized 95 gun which is closer to these modern Russian versions. Better target aquisition = longer bursts can be fired.

The sounds are best I can do from the compressed video source recorded with a camera microphone. I think they are pretty good, took several hours of patient tweaking.

And yes I'm planning to add also the old 60's version of the gun. It will be less accurate and have shorter bursts. I'll check also the reload times.

I'll check also the reload times.

Do that. It isnt really much else than just pulling the old cans out and tossing them away and replacing them with the fresh ones. Cans don't even have any delicate locking mechanisms or anything, just a small button in the switch in the bottom of the canholders keeping the cans in the place.

if problems are in the model the arma.rpt will tell it you. just take a look at the .rpt file and do it errorless and clean. its possible, im doing the same in my mod atm with the models, like fixing geo,fire and view geo's and roadway's and pathes and go on xD

arma.rpt will tell you all errors in your addon. sometimes with useless messages, then you have to think a bit ^^

Sentry

Both of them still crash when use the "Try!" function in the armory. Both models from both versions. I thought it may be an addon causing the problem so I unchecked all of them and only used the Mod folder with these inside. Since I use K's ArmA launcher when I don't have any Mod folders checked, the game starts as default as it gets. My game is totally up to date. I tried to download your files again and it didn't help. This is the only addon/mod this happens with.

Any suggestions? I'm out of ideas to try.

(And yes the mod folder is correct, I've check it 3 times.)

OK. I'll check it today. I just opened them in Armory not tested the try option.

Nice job on this guns,but still missing some sounds: hitsounds,servosound

Maybe u able to add them in an upcomming version?

would be great ! inlove.gif

Ok. I'll check the sounds section too. The Armory bug is now history. I'll upload a new version later today. Installed also the Nvidia plug for extra mapping work.

So I am not going crazy? There was a bug in the "Try!" option of the armory? Did you get the CTD also?

Yes. If you hit the try button, it caused sometimes a crash. It is now fixed.

Excellent, thanks for looking into that and getting it fixed. By the way, excellent work. I can't wait to try them out. Your time spent is very much appreciated.

Well what's the point to leave half working addons lying around so that end users get only frustrated. If the problem can be located and solved why not fix it. wink_o.gif

Nice addon.

But it does seem a bit unfinished too.

notworthy.gif

thanks Törni! nice to put this AA Gun at hill or even in clearing.

maybe for next updates kind of smoke, casing throw-off, louder noice, more shake... and less entrys in arma.rpt smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]louder noice, more shake

Louder noise? Which version of the addon you have?

I'll see if I can add any kinda of recoil, but if I'm afraid that then the whole model would shake. If I remember correctly most BIS static weapons do not have recoil effect. So there might be some engine limitations.

EDIT: About the noise thing - you can compare it to Shilka firing sound as it has two more barrels of the same gun and by all means should be louder than a ZU-23.

thanks Törni! nice to put this AA Gun at hill or even in clearing.

maybe for next updates kind of smoke, casing throw-off, louder noice, more shake... and less entrys in arma.rpt smile_o.gif

Aye, some smoke effects and casings could be cool. In case you implement the casings and beltloops, heres a bit of reference for ya. wink_o.gif

http://www.hellfish.org/~jarppi/zu23.jpg

Yellow for the casings, red for the belt loops.

And where'd you dig up those optics? Again, nothing like what I got used to. Could again be the modernized version of the Zu23, but certainly not the original variant. And doubt the russians use latin letters on their stuff. Who knows. I'll see if i can find a photo of the optics in the older model.

The optics are the original ones supplied by AKM74 as the modernized ZU-23 Soviet/Russian optics. The first versions of the addon used Shilka's default optics from the game.

It would not be the first time that the Finnish Defence Forces replaces Soviet optics. They did that for 12.7mm heavy machineguns too. They have improved Norwegian optics.

It might also be that the Soviets adopted new optics for the modernized guns.

The modernization programs revamped the original 60's design so much that for example the Finnish military decided to refer the new version as an entirely different weapon not an improved variant.