Sign in to follow this  
Törni

ZU-23 AA Guns

if i may ask:

does the truck moves when we fire that ZU? Like the uaz's with MG move when we fire the monted mg?

The UAZ'z with mg act like "donkeys".. confused_o.gif hope this truck with ZU don't act like "donkeys" aswell.

do i have an answer?

Quote[/b] ]act like "donkeys"

Donkeys? Yes the truck can fire on the move. It has more mass so the cross country speed is slower. It also prefers roads and the 23mm cannon can fire at much longer range than a PK machine gun. So no it does not wheel around like an uaz. Drives and behaves like an ArmA truck.

You can think the gun as a turret of a tank. This gives you a quite good pic how it behaves. A truck with a tank turret. No armor so the crew is exposed and can be killed with small arms. The truck itself is damaged in the same way than any other truck in the game.

EDIT: Wonder how that donkey project is doing? It would hilarious to add some donkey cavalry tounge2.gif

Actually, ZU wouldn't be mounted on any vehicle like that. It would be in its undeployed state (*clicky*) and have these largish cylindrical things (lavapukit) beneath the gun's land disks(?) (maalevyt). (Pukit) would then be connected to each other with metal bars to keep them steady.

Nothing big or drastical, but just for your information. The difference would just be that the gun would take a bit less horizontal space, and would be mounted a bit higher up.

A single (pukki) would be about as wide as one of guns land disks, and some 30-40cm tall. Again, just in case you wanted to create these.

And btw, even a finnish Masi is a very unstable firing platform for ZU. Even Rasi swinged a bit when fired. The recoil on the gun is humongous.

Jarppi please check the picture link. It is not working for me. Let's make this pack as good and realistic as possible.

Heres a sample adhoc mount. I guess it depends on nationality and case really.

800px-ZU-23-2-on-truck-hatzerim-1.jpg

Quote[/b] ]Are you make a pack with motorized AA and zu23

Sorry did not quite understand. A motorized gun without a truck? You mean some AA-vehicle or a towed gun perhaps? Or something else?

No sorry,  smile_o.gif of course I mean a pack with motorized AA (ZU-23 on truck, your new project) and a normal ZU-23  your released converted OFP  wink_o.gif

Yes all are parts of the same addon. Truck comes with the new update.

Heres a sample adhoc mount. I guess it depends on nationality and case really.

Yeah, well guess it does depend a lot on nationality, but I wouldnt mount zu23 on anything like that. As I said, it has gigantic recoil and if mounted that way, it WILL move around and a lot, resulting in people having to push or pull the gun around to avoid having it slip over the edge. 975kg of gun falling on someone prolly would do some serious damage.

I'll make the wooden blanks a bit heavier. The truck is now extensiveley tested and works ok. Still waiting for any message if it can be released. So nothing to do but wait. smile_o.gif

looking forward to this release ...

just what ive been looking for ..

regardless of what the stats freaks with thier recoil/weights facts think ...

this will provide a welcome addition to any rebel armoury

or a deadly threat/target to any friendly forces

excellent ... now how about sam misiles ? .. lol

=============================

good luck with truck permission mate !     smile_o.gif

No. This is something I have not been able locate. And it is not correctly in the game either. A tripod mounted AGS30 does not have any recoil effect, but the same weapon on an UAZ has very heavy recoil effect. Similarly 23mm cannon (or any other automatic cannon) has no recoil, but if I define the main weapon as an AGS30 grenade launcher the whole AA-truck bounces around (just like UAZ). It might be pre-defined in the game engine level since there seems to be nothing such in the vehicle or weapon configs.

Törni, it's a great work you are doing her, about the permission probleme with the star truk, what if you use the ural truk, as it is already in game "don't know if you need permisson from Bis" i know that the ural is used as a base truk for this AA gun, and even in some contry they use the M113, it could be a good idea for RACS.

Keep the good work, and i'm looking out for T55 realese.

The main problem with BIS ArmA 3d models currently is that they cannot be easily modified. We can change textures, but the basic structure stays the same. Unless BIS gets the new version of O2 out it is difficult. One way would be to rip the models from the game, but then the parts would have to be put back together as one working entity.

So to make life a bit easier the basis for a total or major conversion has to be OFP models which can be opened, edited and saved with a reasonable amount of pain. Configs are easier. Any text editor will do.

Quote[/b] ]Does the truck shake when you fire?

Recoil  (shaking) is mainly about weapon simulation. If you want recoil you have to use weapons with shotshell simulation and add some fuel to your vehicle. static weapon will have no recoil until you add   fuel in the config (it won'tmove anyway without driver). Barrel recoil  has to be made via animations.

Too bad you haven't listed model author in the first post wink_o.gif

It looks like your achievement in this way though you did almost nothing (such addon convertion is very easy).

Original ofp addon was made by russian addonmaker AKM74

Quote[/b] ]Original ofp addon was made by russian addonmaker АКМ74

You mean the truck? Vilas told me that the author was Polish? The zu's original author - AKM74 has been contacted mentioned in the readme. If you take a look at the thread were the author was searched and found you'll be a lot more up to date wink_o.gif

And about doing nothing... please take a look at the model if it comes out. New configs, added lods, fixed a lot of things that were not working in the original release such as break lights, driving wheel animation, added damage and destruction effects etc. etc. But anyways you are welcome  smile_o.gif

So if it so easy and just a couple of mouse clicks please do go ahead and do some samples.

For me at least an addon takes about a week to convert and test. Depends how much has to be redone and if there is (as there always tends to be) any problems or missing features in the model. But ofcourse I'm not doing it all day long.

EDIT: The reason for converting AKM74's ZUs is beacause they are an exellent OFP addon  thumbs-up.gif and thus deserved to be converted into ArmA. So as always all credits in the accompanied reame file.

EDIT2: Added AKM74 to the first post also in order to avoid any confusion (as and when people do not read readmes).

EDIT3: If you add fuel to static weapons they then propably explode like vehicles. So it is an engine limitation.

They are ready (update for the guns and the truck conversion). Have been for several days, but I have not recieved any kind of reply from Vilas or the maker of the Star truck  sad_o.gif

So time table would be: Right now!!! (if it was up to me).

Too bad you haven't listed model author in the first post wink_o.gif

It looks like your achievement in this way though you did almost nothing (such addon convertion is very easy).

Original ofp addon was made by russian addonmaker AKM74

What´s up with that rude post here?

Absolutely unnecessary, i wait for your converted addons, bdfy. If it´s so easy.

Such things make me angry but Törni, a lot of people like your work

smile_o.gif

I really do not know. He did not obviously follow the forums (otherwise he would have known that we searched for the AKM74 and eventually found him). For AKM74 it was ok idea that the OFP guns were ported to ArmA so no prob with that smile_o.gif

Don't know who he is or what's his point? Obviously he did not read the addon readme either. AKM74 and VitaPC are mentioned first wink_o.gif

I really do not know. He did not obviously follow the forums (otherwise he would have known that we searched for the AKM74 and eventually found him). For AKM74 it was ok idea that the OFP guns were ported to ArmA so no prob with that  smile_o.gif

Don't know who he is or what's his point? Obviously he did not read the addon readme either. AKM74 and VitaPC are mentioned first  wink_o.gif

That not alone, he obvisiously has no clue how difficult this converting is. There should be every good ofp addon released, by this opinion.

But back to topic: Hope you get your permission soon!

what do you expect from a guy who has no life and has to be judgemental of others....too bad really. I really like the addon and the effort that was put forth in bringing it for all to enjoy. once again great work Torni.  notworthy.gif   notworthy.gif

I just wish someone would convert the M2A2. Now THAT would be cool!

Quick status update - that there is nothing to update. If anyone sees or hears from Vilas please tell him to check his messages. Any answer is better than no answer at all.

You can always mount the Zu-23 on the M113, like the Lebanese have done:

Lebanese.jpg