Sign in to follow this  

3D scopes for snipers?

Some days ago, i downloaded the new hl2 mod insurgency: Modern Infantry Combat and its quite astonishing... it is like battlefield 2 with much more realism but without vehicles (yet). Actually you can't see the ammo, because the mags are made of metal, you know... and so on.

But the scopes were really cool, because it has not the 'old' 2D view up to the full screen, instead of it you got the model like the aimpoint and then the view is automatically zoomed in.

scth.jpg

So it is possible with some tricks using the ArmA Engine? This would be so inlove.gif

As far as I know, ArmA can only display one 3D viewpoint at a time (no).

In theory if your looking through a scope like that don't you have one eye closed anyway?

In theory if your looking through a scope like that don't you have one eye closed anyway?

Only if you're an amateur.

Regardless, the way the Insurgency team modeled it is still wrong compared to the way you actually view it with two eyes open.

If this was possible it would be very helpful for making 3d interiors on AFV's with things like CITV, now that would be awesome inlove.gif

If you close the second eye the muscles arond the right one will react anyway. This will increase pressure on the eyeball of the opened eye, rising liquid pressure inside your eye (will lead to your eye getting tired and start to itch) as well as deforming it slightly (result is loss of focus).

Closing second eye is not going to improve your focus BTW, if you're using the dominant eye the picture will take priority and your brain won't bother you with what second eye sees.

As for 3D scope - yes, but the picture outside the scope will have the same zoom, so it won't look allright.

MMh maybe the picture outside the scope could be blurry? this would be quite a cool compromise, huh?

hm, well thats a verry hard thing to realise id say. the classical 2d version is still the best i think.

i expirienced it with the a 1,5 scope. what you see in the scope is basicly merged into the view of your 2nd eye or better said merged into the picture you have in the end. its not blured or so, you can observe with the 2nd open eye ovcourse just to some extent.

its quiet cool but to get this picture on a 2d screen isnt easy so id say stick with 2d classic scope biggrin_o.gif

infiltration!? wasnt the talk about this insurgency mod!?

anyways, i cant see anything special or otherwhise related to the 2eyes, 1 scope, 1 picture problem here in the infiltration mod article biggrin_o.gif

you see a black screen and remove the black with your scope...when you come to the edge of the screen you scroll the black screen...nothing verry realistic or special i think...just an aproach of many

As already said by others the Insurgency scope wouldn't really be possible, but maybe a weapon could be configured with a high zoom so only the scope would be on screen so you don't get to see the zoomed surroundings.

If that doesn't work out the 2d scopes could be made 3d, as they actually are 3d models already, and with this Infiltration version we could at least get the parralax while moving or from recoil instead of the always perfect sight picture we just got rid of on non scoped weapons.

I really have no clue, maybe someone with modding experience could comment on this biggrin_o.gif

Scruffy here has a good idea, actually. Make a gun with a scope that's like the M4A1 Aimpoint scope, but shaped to match the weapon and with crosshairs instead of a red point. Then set the zoom for the whole screen to ten times normal, and you've got a 3D scope.

And when I turn my head with my trackIR?.. wink_o.gif

That's what you would see if you looked through a scope like that(with 1 eye), you don't really put your eye right against the end of the scope lol, but you would also be so fixated through the scope that anything outside the scope would be really really blurry, which is a feature ArmA has(it's on the higher quality settings right?) - the feature of course that I'm talking about is the blurry view like when you zoom, the ground or trees right infront of you will blur as you look 200m away type of thing.