Sign in to follow this  
Maddmatt

ArmA Effects

Quote[/b] ]The textures are by DMarkwick, taken from his mod with permission. We share some stuff between our mods.

and he got it from ... ?

I make 'em.

i'm sorry for some scepsis - nice work ! wink_o.gif Can you make some tips or smth ? What did you used ? I played with Afterburn (and analogues) plugins long ago with no good effect sad_o.gif

Maddmatt

Quote[/b] ]I want to do something like that for tank shells. ArmA doesn't have any mortars though. DMarkwick has a nice dirt particle which he uses in his mod for tank shells. Maybe I'll use that.

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=news&id=5

is this the last update ? i've downloaded it, but can't see anything suitable sad_o.gif

I found some new <a href="http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/lib4145/files/vsp.rar

" target="_blank">particles</a> used for ofp (never make it to the release). see if it can be usefull for you (though i can't remember where it from and find source file - thus it's in separate files like for ofp )

... and some more textures from my drive

You should try to modify the A10 30mm cannon, both the impacts and smoke coming out of the front.

great effects btw

Hm... smoke looks great, fire effects too ... but explosion fx are imho too cinematic ...somehow. Its more for new generation of action-hero-players... confused_o.gif

Anyway would be nice if you can randomize these effects?

Maddmatt
Quote[/b] ]I want to do something like that for tank shells. ArmA doesn't have any mortars though. DMarkwick has a nice dirt particle which he uses in his mod for tank shells. Maybe I'll use that.

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=news&id=5

is this the last update ? i've downloaded it, but can't see anything suitable sad_o.gif

Yes that's it. Try firing tank shells at the ground. Not what's shown in your picture, but it's the same idea.

Quote[/b] ]

I found some new particles used for ofp (never make it to the release). see if it can be usefull for you (though i can't remember where it from and find source file - thus it's in separate files like for ofp )

... and some more textures from my drive

You messed up the first link there. I corrected it though, no problem.

Thanks for the particles, I'll try them out when I get a chance.

You should try to modify the A10 30mm cannon, both the impacts and smoke coming out of the front.

I might do that.

Hm... smoke looks great, fire effects too ... but explosion fx are imho too cinematic ...somehow. Its more for new generation of action-hero-players... confused_o.gif

Anyway would be nice if you can randomize these effects?

Explosions are done from the config. I know they seem big, but look up some real footage and you will see that tanks can make pretty big explosions.

It's done through the config, so I know it's overdone for certain vehicle types. I will eventually do scripting with that and then things should be much better. Fire effects haven't had much attention so far, I'll work on that.

Quote[/b] ]Try firing tank shells at the ground. Not what's shown in your picture, but it's the same idea.

far not what i'm looking for... though there can be problems to make such an effect with one drop - in ofp big drops were drawn much closer to the player (like there was a square at drop init position and the texture is on its side), ruining the view sad_o.gif I used to put drop pos away (for drop size) to avoid it. Is this the same with arma ?

One more tip for planes - fire and smoke are generated for destroyed plane, but before there's defaul t little smoke. I guess it will look good if you edit this standart smoke making its more dense and steady. I guess it's gonna be easy.

@benus: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll work on it.

Changing the size parameter only changes the size of the actual particle. Not the whole effect. It is the "sandblow" effects you mentioned.

If you tweak it to something you like, you can post the code here and I'll look at it myself - maybe use it for the next release.

Ok,

I just tested arround with it a bit ... no good results so far.

but the SANDBLOW is fine.

The "ImpactSandSmoke1-3" are the effects I want to tweak. The impact (impactsandblow) is nice but the dustclouds are (in my eyes ) to big. Well not to big (they aren't bigger then the original BIS effects, but more visible) ... I think they should be "less" visble and maybe disappear faster ... some small dustclouds over the ground could stay a liitle longer maybe.

but just my 2 cents ... (or how it is said).

Offtopic...

But why I realized the HUGE impactdust was another "problem" (I am playing with an RHS replacement pack, it includes the AS VAL-Rifle (for specnaz) ... the RHS magazines have a "typicalspeed"-parameter and the silenced rifles had speeds arround 320 (m/s I think) and this made (no idea why) the impact much bigger then from a normal rifle ... when increase the speed it is ok.

THX again ... will maybe try some tweaking ...

benus

Hey again, i realised i was a lazy fag so i decided to find the Explosion FX script myself for ya wink_o.gif

Clicky

May not be exactly what you want, and i think its still in beta, but it might help you if u want to modify it/create your own.

I aint seen mad dog post for a while but im sure hes around somewhere to ask him about it biggrin_o.gif

Making realistic dust impacts are, well, HARD. I've been trying for a year to make a realistic one, and just recently I've made a wind generator for effects in BF2 which enabled me to make a realstic looking dirt effect.

There are tons of videos on youtube that show the different bullet hits, water hits and dirt hits etc...pretty cool. Dirt can easily reach over the hight of a person's head, aswell as water splashes, which can sometimes be twice the size.

Another thing you should try is, as posted above, fix up the tank muzzle smoke effects. In my opinion, the smoke wall goes way too high, and I think its pretty accurate in DMarkwicks mod (check that out?)

I tweaked arround abit, but came to no good result.

Now I ended up with just reducing the size of the clouds to the half:

Quote[/b] ]class ImpactSandSmoke1:

size[] = {0.1,

{ "intensity",0.2,1 }};

class ImpactSandSmoke1:

size[] = {0.1,

{ "intensity",0.2,1 }};

class ImpactSandSmoke3:

size[] = {0.25,{ "intensity",1,2.5 }};

Really hard to greate a decent looking effect.

But with smaller clouds the impact itself can be seen better.

regards benus

hey MadMatt,

first... i love the new flames and this is a great mod. wonderful work.

i was wondering, did you ever see the tank hits from an old OFP addon made by Joe Lemonade?

reference: http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics/sectionpics/BTR%20Railgunv1.0.jpg

it was the popular BTR T Railgun, BTR T v1.1 and other BTR's he made. UPDATE, It may have been http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics/sectionpics/SebBTRT.jpg made by Sebastian Muller (PSC

anyways.. if you still have good ole OFP installed, grab his addons and shoot a AT at the tanks. note the spark effects that shoot out on impact.

is this possible in ARMA as it stands today? these IMO were the most realistic tank hits ive seen. I believe ECP had a real life picture of what these look like but i can't find it.

anyways, would it be considered to create something like that? when the vehicle is hit it produces large sparks flying upward and outward...?

Matt, I am curious, is the AT rocket 'meant' to have a tracer attached to it?

Doubt it. May be a bug with the tracers combined with NWD ballistics, only noticed it after I installed the ballistics mod. Anyway, Sickboy does the tracers, not me. I never changed anything like that in my mod.

doh my bad smile_o.gif See kids, don't drink and post. BTW AWESOME new kit Matt!

umm i have some probs with the updated version. tried to play on our server yesterday, and some of the sounds were missing aswell as no guns showing on soldiers, no backblast or any new effects.

have just tested it briefly, but i could swear it has something to do with CSM mod installed...or it dosent work if server hasn't got your signature?huh.gif?

btw nice job with the mod, im loving it all the way, and waiting to test out the updated properly inlove.gifinlove.gifinlove.gif

Wow!

cheers MaddMatt

Along with the Chammy's sound mod, you guys have basically addressed my main issues with Arma.

I'd gone back OFP til i found these.

Keep up the good work.

Just a quick question because I'm not able to read 20 pages of posts. Will this version of the mod play nice with DMSmokeEffects? I'm sure there are some conflicts but is there a load order that gives your effects but also those great smoke columns fom DMSmokeEffects? Don't want to loose those but your mod looks awesome too.

far not what i'm looking for... though there can be problems to make such an effect with one drop - in ofp big drops were drawn much closer to the player (like there was a square at drop init position and the texture is on its side), ruining the view sad_o.gif I used to put drop pos away (for drop size) to avoid it. Is this the same with arma ?

I remember that problem in OFP. Haven't noticed it in ArmA though, I think they completely changed the way particles are rendered. Particles in ArmA seem to have been reworked quite a lot.

Quote[/b] ]

One more tip for planes - fire and smoke are generated for destroyed plane, but before there's defaul t little smoke. I guess it will look good if you edit this standart smoke making its more dense and steady. I guess it's gonna be easy.

Good idea. I'll mess around with it.

The "ImpactSandSmoke1-3" are the effects I want to tweak. The impact (impactsandblow) is nice but the dustclouds are (in my eyes ) to big. Well not to big (they aren't bigger then the original BIS effects, but more visible) ... I think they should be "less" visble and maybe disappear faster ... some small dustclouds over the ground could stay a liitle longer maybe.

I think I'll check out some real videos and improve it some time.

Quote[/b] ]

But why I realized the HUGE impactdust was another "problem" (I am playing with an RHS replacement pack, it includes the AS VAL-Rifle (for specnaz) ... the RHS magazines have a "typicalspeed"-parameter and the silenced rifles had speeds arround 320 (m/s I think) and this made (no idea why) the impact much bigger then from a normal rifle ... when increase the speed it is ok.

Did you increase typicalspeed or initspeed? Typicalspeed doesn't change the speed of the bullet, it just means that whatever damage value is given to the bullet applies to that speed and is adjusted accordingly depending on how fast the bullet hits something. You will be decreasing the amount of damage the bullet does by increasing that value. That's why the impact gets smaller.

If you actually changed the initspeed, well then I dunno. Guess it's just weird.

Hey again, i realised i was a lazy fag so i decided to find the Explosion FX script myself for ya wink_o.gif

Clicky

May not be exactly what you want, and i think its still in beta, but it might help you if u want to modify it/create your own.

I aint seen mad dog post for a while but im sure hes around somewhere to ask him about it biggrin_o.gif

Thanks. DMarkwick actually already sent that to me in a PM. I'll try them out.

Making realistic dust impacts are, well, HARD...

Very true!

Another thing you should try is, as posted above, fix up the tank muzzle smoke effects. In my opinion, the smoke wall goes way too high, and I think its pretty accurate in DMarkwicks mod (check that out?)

I've seen his effect. It's on my to-do list.

i was wondering, did you ever see the tank hits from an old OFP addon made by Joe Lemonade? ...

Never saw those before. Haven't played OFP in a long time, don't even have it installed anymore.

Of course that's possible. I'll consider doing that.

doh my bad smile_o.gif See kids, don't drink and post. BTW AWESOME new kit Matt!

Why not? tounge2.gif

umm i have some probs with the updated version. tried to play on our server yesterday, and some of the sounds were missing aswell as no guns showing on soldiers, no backblast or any new effects.

have just tested it briefly, but i could swear it has something to do with CSM mod installed...or it dosent work if server hasn't got your signature?huh.gif?

Don't think that's got anything to do with my mod, or signatures. Never had any problems when I tried it online. Sounds like an addon or mod messing around. Possibly an old one. Clean out old addons and mods and get the latest versions. Make sure they are known to work fine with ArmA version 1.08.

Maddmatt, keep your work as is, I like it. crazy_o.gif

Good tounge2.gif

Just a quick question because I'm not able to read 20 pages of posts. Will this version of the mod play nice with DMSmokeEffects? I'm sure there are some conflicts but is there a load order that gives your effects but also those great smoke columns fom DMSmokeEffects? Don't want to loose those but your mod looks awesome too.

We've both make sure to keep our mods compatible with each other. They will work fine. Depending on which order you list them in the mod command line, one should overwrite certain effects from the other. Try both ways and see what you like best. Haven't actually tried switching them around myself though, but it should work.

Damn this is a huge post crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Did you increase typicalspeed or initspeed? Typicalspeed doesn't change the speed of the bullet, it just means that whatever damage value is given to the bullet applies to that speed and is adjusted accordingly depending on how fast the bullet hits something. You will be decreasing the amount of damage the bullet does by increasing that value. That's why the impact gets smaller.

If you actually changed the initspeed, well then I dunno. Guess it's just weird.

I INCREASED the TYPICALSPEED ...

if I got it right --> INCREASING the typicalspeed means LESS damage --> smaller IMPACTeffect.

But this should go to this topic Russian Federation Units where you already commented on it.

I will play on with my changed SandSmoke effect now and will see what future releases will bring smile_o.gif

THX again (... now ArmA gets what it should be like)

Regards benus

Another question i'minterested at is how to define custom destruction effect for an addon/mod ? i.e i'd like to have much bigger explosion for fuel trucks etc and different fire effects for vehicles. How it's defined ? via class DestructionEffects in the configs ? For ex.:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> class DestructionEffects {

class Fire1 {

simulation = "particles";

type = "ObjectDestructionFire";

position = "destructionEffect1";

intensity = 1;

interval = 1;

lifeTime = 1;

};

};

i guess this code will create fire effects defined in class ObjectDestructionFire. But what is position ? Is this a point in the memory lod ?

I believe DM was able to seperate his new effects and link them through coding to different things, as in he was able to have lets say, different bullet impacts in the ground for pistols, rifled rounds, 50 cal, 20mm etc - NOT saying he did that stuff but he was able to seperate the effects like that.

seems like i forgot to place the extented init handler to my modfolder lol. well the mod works now and looks cool many thnx smile_o.gifsmile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Great Job!

Your work is more and more excellent!

I have update my Chinese MOD FFAMM to 1.3beta, (Never relesed). I revised a lot of real record weapon sounds and add them to new FFAMM sounds, I really wanted to use your MOD's scripts, and i can improve the textures, Could you share anything with my MOD? If you like, I will send the sound's of FFAMM1.3beta to you.

Finally, I justed wanted to use your MOD scripts with permission. Thank you very much! smile_o.gif

I INCREASED the TYPICALSPEED ...

if I got it right --> INCREASING the typicalspeed means LESS damage --> smaller IMPACTeffect.

Yes, increasing typicalspeed means less damage. Increase initspeed to increase the bullet speed (and damage).

Another question i'minterested at is how to define custom destruction effect for an addon/mod ? i.e i'd like to have much bigger explosion for fuel trucks etc and different fire effects for vehicles. How it's defined ? via class DestructionEffects in the configs ? For ex.:...

I'm not actually sure if ArmA uses that. I noticed some of the smoke effects that appear are not listed there. I haven't played around with it so I'm not sure how/if it works. Could always use scripting though.

I believe DM was able to seperate his new effects and link them through coding to different things, as in he was able to have lets say, different bullet impacts in the ground for pistols, rifled rounds, 50 cal, 20mm etc - NOT saying he did that stuff but he was able to seperate the effects like that.

Different weapons can have different effects. You can already see that by comparing grenades, rockets and bombs. It only seems to work for explosive weapons, but with some work it could be done with non-explosives. By default anything that doesn't explode uses the normal bullet impact.

Great Job!

Your work is more and more excellent!

I have update my Chinese MOD FFAMM to 1.3beta, (Never relesed). I revised a lot of real record weapon sounds and add them to new FFAMM sounds, I really wanted to use your MOD's scripts, and i can improve the textures, Could you share anything with my MOD? If you like, I will send the sound's of FFAMM1.3beta to you.

Finally, I justed wanted to use your MOD scripts with permission. Thank you very much! smile_o.gif

You can use scripts from my mod, as long as you credit me. They do needs some work though, they are not as well made as I want them to be. It's not really a problem now, but I'm going to need to improve them as the mod becomes more script-intensive.

If you're willing to share anything, you can send me a link via PM or email it to me smile_o.gif

I would like to have those sounds. Wasn't planning on a sound replacement mod, but I'd still like to try them.

I haven't got anything worth sharing that isn't already in the mod. You can open it up and take a look.

I tried to make my one drop yesterday (flak explosion).

I took a plane (old ofp model) and mapped it with new texture (that got 16 animated frames). But can't get it working sad_o.gif there's nothing at the drop place. then i took standart bis drop model and changed texture path to one i need - it works, but there's lag at the start of drop animation (looks like several frames are dropped sad_o.gif)

the code i used

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_obj = _this select 0

_offset = [0,0,0]

_d = 10

_N = 16

_shape=["\LIBMOD\lib_models\drop\cl_flak.p3d", 4, 0, _N]

_offset = [0,0,0]

_LifeTime = (_N/25)

;_mass = 1.275

_mass = 1.275

_Volume = 1

_size = [_d]

_AnimationPhase = [0,1]

;player sidechat format ["this %1",_this]

#loop

drop [_shape,"","Billboard",1,_LifeTime,_offset,[0,0,0],0,_mass,_Volume,0,_size,[[1,1,1,1]],_AnimationPhase,0,0,"","",_obj]

exit

what i'm missing ?

Probably better to ask in the ArmA editing section. It takes me a while to get just about any script working crazy_o.gif

I think it's to do with your "AnimationPhase" setting. The name is misleading, it actually means the speed of the animation. So it is set to start at a speed of '0' and finish at '1'. Also, 1 may be too fast. That's going to go through the frames pretty fast.

Also, it's better to use SQF scripting instead of SQS. Or even a function. SQS is the old OFP way, only really good for cutscenes in ArmA IMO.