Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Smoke affect AI "sight"?

Does anyone have any info on whether smoke particles affect AI sight? Like if for example someone uses a white smoke cannister to conceal their movements, will it fool the AI?

If not, is there any way to make it happen?

no.

Quote[/b] ]If not, is there any way to make it happen?

Yes. you have to use smokeblock models to block ai sight. impemented in libmod for ex. (and in JAM pack ?)

no.
Quote[/b] ]If not, is there any way to make it happen?

Yes. you have to use smokeblock models to block ai sight. impemented in libmod for ex. (and in JAM pack ?)

Hmm, interesting. Do you know of a useful info link for smokeblock items? Does it impact on performance?

(and in JAM pack ?)

AI blocking smoke was present in JAM for OFP, and it will be in JAM for ArmA.

Default BIS smoke grenades block AI sight but not AI sound. I have tested it and if you throw a smoke grenade in the street and run out on the other side of enemy they will not see you.

Unfortunately the second you shoot they know where you are instantly and the smoke is 0 protection.

No smoke, no player shooting: Spotted

Smoke, no player shooting: Not Spotted

Smoke, player shooting while in open: Spotted

Smoke, player shooting before going into open: Spotted?

According to my "research", the AI will know your position for about 1-2 seconds after you fired the shot. So if you wait for a couple of seconds after shooting and then run into the smoke, they probably won't see you.

Now if only they couldn't see through bushes and felled trees, we'd be happy (for a short time, at least).

Quote[/b] ]Default BIS smoke grenades block AI sight but not AI sound. I have tested it and if you throw a smoke grenade in the street and run out on the other side of enemy they will not see you.

Unfortunately the second you shoot they know where you are instantly and the smoke is 0 protection.

See, now thats the biggest AI bug Bis HAS to fix in my opinion.

Default BIS smoke grenades block AI sight but not AI sound. I have tested it and if you throw a smoke grenade in the street and run out on the other side of enemy they will not see you.

Interesting, all my previous tests showed that the default smoke grenades in ArmA does not block AI's LOS and is equally useless against AI as they where in OFP...

Can you share the testmission you used?

Quote[/b] ]

Now if only they couldn't see through bushes and felled trees, we'd be happy...

I haven't verified that this applies to every bush/tree type in ArmA but the bushes on Rahmadi does indeed break AI's LOS but as soon you fire your weapon they pin-point you location with close to 100% accuracy (see this thread for that topic)!

/KC

Interesting, all my previous tests showed that the default smoke grenades in ArmA does not block AI's LOS and is equally useless against AI as they where in OFP...

Can you share the testmission you used?

Did you use "smokeshell" createvehicle thing? I tried it with that earlier (with 1.08) and it didn't provide visual cover at all.

i don't remember did i throw smokeshells too to test it, but conserning that createvehicle-command i'm sure. But i have gut feeling that smokeshells have saved my life sometimes.

Wasn't it usual that blocking effect added with eventhandler in OFP mods. If my memory serves me right atleast FDF did it with eventhandler, so createvehicle didn't work if blocking object wasn't created aswell.

Deady typed:

Quote[/b] ]

Now if only they couldn't see through bushes and felled trees, we'd be happy...

Are you speaking of Fallen trees? Atleast fallen sprunces blocks sight, which is very good.

No, they hear you and shoot at your estimated position, like they do here.

The AI guesses where you are and will shoot trough stuff if they can. (And as smoke doesnt stop bullets, they will shoot).

Problem is that they estimate your position too good.

EDIT: Dunno if it works with smoke though, i remember testing it but i cannot remember what happened. (And i tested it in 1.00 or something, may have changed since then.)

Did you use "smokeshell" createvehicle thing? I tried it with that  earlier (with 1.08) and it didn't provide visual cover at all.

I tried both ways and it doesn't matter how you create the smoke, it still doesn't block AI's LOS. As far as I can tell they are as useless against AI as they where in OFP.

Below is a simple test mission that demonstrates this.

http://keycat.no-ip.com/files/ArmA_108_AI_see_thru_smoke.zip

To test it do the following:

1. Stay put and wait ~5 seconds to let the smoke build up in the street.

2. Walk strait ahead (without firing your gun) out on the road, the smoke screen should be on you right hand.

3. The two AI soldiers on your right will see and kill you within seconds!

To try the same by throwing smokegrenade just restart the mission and wait until the first smoke clears then throw some of your smokegrenades, result is the same.

/KC

Don't want to go offtopic here, but AI still needs a lot of tweaking. Why use smoke when AI is able to shoot you through the wall with one shot (tested on last thursday's multiplayer event in Arcadia...).

Of course you can't even see over the wall, AI just knows where you are like we're wearing mil-spec gps transmitters smile_o.gif

Okay. Once again, as it seems to be so hard to understand.

Was the situation following?

-AI sees you (or maybe it's groupmate sees you).

-You go behind cover

-AI shoots you

If it was, then AI just used its good calculation skills by determing your speed at point when visual contact was broken. This aint cheating as player will get samekind target square which's position bases on those same calculations. player can shoot thru wall as well.

I have never seen that AI would shoot without having visual contact first (or getting that target square aka target order). Some vehicles might do so (i would quess it's because of their suppression capabilityes) They atleast are able to openfire at gamelogics (inside building) when infantry and some other vehicles aren't.

Don't want to go offtopic here, but AI still needs a lot of tweaking. Why use smoke when AI is able to shoot you through the wall with one shot (tested on last thursday's multiplayer event in Arcadia...).

Of course you can't even see over the wall, AI just knows where you are like we're wearing mil-spec gps transmitters smile_o.gif

If this is such a general, fundamental problem, how come it doesn't happen all the time, in all locations?