Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

POLL: Do you want ArmA Anti-Cheat?

i dont know how affective BIS's antcheat is, but one thing i know is that its not doing jack to stop these cheat/hack in arma..

im sitting in the lobby of a server as i write this.

we had 62 players in here and now its almost empty thanks to a group of at least 3 TKC members who are in here killing everything.

it would seem that ArmA is a cheaters "paraiso", since they do as they please knowing full well they cant be stopped.

this is the worst and likely the most damaging thing for ArmA.

i dont know wher BIS stands on this subject, much less what and if they are doing anything about it.

as things are right now, we cant have ArmA ladders of anykind since there is no way of stopping these cheats, much less knowing who's running them. TKC already knows how to get around the filecheck system.

i would like to know what steps BIS is taking to stop this runaway train befor it gets too late to save ArmA.

There isn't much one can do at the moment to be honest. Even wow has huge amounts of hack's and cheats out there. They have huge capital and tons of incentive to keep it out.

Not sure why Arma is getting targeted as much, it could be the flexibility of how clients can run scripts that control the game. Funny part is some local stores are telling people not to buy the game due to the cheating going on. If the people who sell the software know it and let people know you know there are major issues.

Would be very keen to run this on our Aussie servers MaddogX. I guess the hardest part for all Admins is altering all the current missions on the servers. Best to get it released soonish so we can the mission makers to start adding it to their missions. smile_o.gif

Nice work !!

Quote[/b] ]

Ease of use: ARMAAC can be implemented in any mission with a single line of code. No scripting skills required.

Easily updated: All ARMAAC scripts are run from a server side addon that can be updated at any time without needing to edit the mission.

Server Side: The ARMAAC addon is only required by the server, not by the players. No player will ever need to download any addon for ARMAAC. They don't even need to redownload the mission if the server admin updates ARMAAC.

Secure: All scripts a run on the server. No player can tamper with them.

Addon compatible: ARMAAC is compatible with all addons and mods and will allow users of non-malicious mods (such as the FDF-Soundmod) to play without problems.

ArmA compatible: ARMAAC can run alongside the existing ArmA anti-cheat functionality. There is no need to deactivate either one.

If it does not slow the server HELL YES!!

So this will stop people from impersonating the Server Admin?

There's one major draw back for me, and that's the fact that it has to be integrated in the map.[..]

If it was possible to run the frame work as part of the server sided scripting, e.g. on a onUserConnected event, I'd definitely say yes.

Same on me as long as you can't enable verifySignatures because of using mods... but this currently the only situation where this addon makes sense.

Yes but NOT Punkbuster. And please make it a serverside option to have it on or off, don't want private games with friends I trust being messed up by dodgy anti cheat.

release it damnit wink_o.gif stop teasing around rofl.gif

Great to see the result was yes smile_o.gif

Good luck with it Maddog/Matt =) thumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]release it damnit stop teasing around

2 week Beer reduction and 1 week with no Leave for abuse...LOL

Quote[/b] ]release it damnit stop teasing around

2 week Beer reduction and 1 week with no Leave for abuse...LOL

Dammit, I only just got hammered last night... I guess that's one week with no leave for me.

Don't worry guys, I'm still reworking some of the scripts. I've decided to make some last minute changes, especially regarding performance optimization on well populated servers. Also some minor security improvements to make sure that hackers can't disrupt the script functions, should they remain undetected on a server. (goodbye global variables)

I've also been shown a video of someone using a quite impressive and very nasty hack, which basically gives him an in-game menu allowing him to do almost anything - even kick other players. I don't have access to the hack itself, so I have to guess how it works and how to counter it.

I have a lot of time on my hands today, so with a bit of luck I will get it done by this evening. Otherwise it will probably be Sunday, because I'm at a wedding tomorrow. (No, not mine)

Update: for those of you who want to start implementing ARMAAC support into their maps, here's the implementation code:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">if (isServer && isClass (configFile >> "CfgPatches" >> "ARMAAC")) then {[] execVM "\ARMAAC\ARMAAC.sqf";};

All this code does is check whether the current machine is the game server (no matter whether it's dedicated or not), and whether the ARMAAC addon is present. If so, the ARMAAC control script will be launched. Put this line of code into your missions INIT.SQF.

NOTE: If the ARMAAC addon is not present, don't worry. Nothing will happen. No error messages or anything.

I have also made a dummy addon that will allow you to test whether ARMAAC is working properly on the network (only global message functionality is included). Like the real ARMAAC addon, the dummy addon only needs to be present on the server. When an ARMAAC enabled mission is started, it will display a small massage.

Download it here.

I'm still working on the main script and will be posting more info soon. For now, all mission makers who are interested can begin implementing ARMAAC support.

aw god damn plz, i played evo and all kinds of messed up things happened the vehicles in base blow up and civies armed with weapons come up from nowhere in the middle of base and killed people at respawn and then worst was that suddenly opfor t-72's and bmp's and machinegunners popped up and made it all even more hell + random explosions all over the place... banghead.gif made me never wanna play this game online again confused_o.gif

any updates yet?

I'm currently rewriting part of the code to replace all global variables in the scripts with local ones, since hackers could have used certain commands to disable them. Basically it's a security measure.

In doing this I ran into some problems, because the spawn command behaves slightly differently than I had assumed. Now I have to redesign part of the code. No worries though, I'm on it and am aiming to get it done later today.

Nice work Big fella....

I would love to see BIS put this into their dedicated server so it's there by default. Of course, that won't happen though.

Very good job though MadDog, i'm gonna inform a few friends of mine about it. I can guarantee it though that the famous cheating clan of OFP/ArmA already have their hands on it.