Sign in to follow this  
KilJoy -SFG-

Evolution V3.0

After having played evo 3.0 a few times, I wish to offer up some thoughts.

Engineer-constructed FARP

It would be nice if the ammo-box in the FARP included ammunition for all the weapontypes available. As it is now, it doesn't hold M136 rockets (very important!) or satchel charges, something which seriously decreases the usefulness of it. I understand the main purpose of it is to refuel and repair vehicles, but it would be nice if at least a handful of M136 rockets could be added to it.

Radio tower

The placement (and defense) of the radio tower in the cities makes it impossible to destroy it in any way other than an all-out attack to clear out the enemy and get close enough to satchel it or blowing it up through airstrikes.

There is no way for the SF team to make a stealthy approach and blow it prior to the main attack, seeing as how it is so well defended and usually placed far enough inside the enemy lines that sneaking in becomes a big problem.

I like the system with reinforcements, don't get me wrong, but I don't like how the tactical options are limited to balls-out attack or airstrike to eliminate the tower. Place the radio tower a bit outside the main enemy area to give the SF team a chance to do their job.

Mobile Respawn/Optional Respawn Areas

After Paraiso and Somato falls, respawn and transport becomes a problem. Even if you have dedicated transport pilots it still becomes an issue to organize and coordinate. Example being the pilot picking up a couple of guys and is half-way down to the Cayo area when suddenly another three guys die. Either way people are going to be left waiting for quite some time before they can be picked up.

So, my suggestion is, show a dialog when people die allowing them to pick their respawn point: Paraiso International, or one of the pre-placed FARPs. That should eliminate quite a bit of issues.

AA at the airport

Could the airport please be defended by some kind of AA? It gets very annoying when KA-50s appear and totally wreck the airport without you having a chance to defend it. Maybe a couple of AA soldiers stationed around the main area or something.

Oh great. After the previous poster anything I say is going to seem like solid gold.

The ol' familiar @Kiljoy:

1. I understand the resistance to using any kind of revive system due to the common abhorrent use in many games. On the other hand it should be noted that ArmA has a really annoying lethality problem and keeping players that actually happen to be using "teamwork" (I use quotes because doing your own thing in close proximity to someone else doing their own thing hardly qualifies) together is a noble goal. After all, if people start playing smarter, living longer, but have to be somewhat more cautious then gameplay improves all around, yes?

I have completed an Evolution game with <10 deaths. It's not easy and takes a level head. Any revive system should 1. Encourage working together 2. Not encourage running into battle headlong 3. Enhance survivability. It's a tricky idea but I will give an example of how it might work and see if it appeals to you.

Only medics can revive. Medics have to be on the scene in less than 5 minutes for bleed out. The medicing process takes 5-10 seconds. A person healed by a medic can never have 100% health until he returns to the hospital at main base (until then the best he can get is shakey-hands 80%?). After being revived he cannot be revived again until he visits the hospital. This means everyone has one "free oops" and doesn't become 100% until they extract but they can still finish whatever sortie he was on.

2. Can the M249 be available to lower ranked people? I mean what's the point in hamstringing the people that want the honest salt-of-the-earth ground pounder experience instead of the MH-6 drooling, tank-obsessed types? The M240 is generally given out to much higher ranked people IRL than the M249. I know why you did it but I think you're hurting the wrong people. Maybe prevent anyone from getting in a cockpit if they have a M240/M249/AT4/Javelin with a hint like "You can't fly with that huge thing!" Could even limit jet pilots to a pistol and smokes >.> Sacrilege I know!

3. I think I just learned this about how you made Evo, so correct me if I'm wrong but each player has their own personal ammo box, yes? Using this fact you might be able to hand out slightly better weaponry but not resupply those weapons very often. Thus it is the own users fault if they waste their own high-value gear by dying too often. 20 minutes between M249 refill, 30 minutes between M24 refill, always M16A4 available, ACOG no more often than 15 minutes. You could even limit the AT4s to one round per person (PLEASE!wink_o.gif and one AT4 launcher for 10-15 minutes. It pains me to see AT4s wasted on disabled UAZs or upturned BMPs instead of kept close at hand and used when really needed.

You might not have to get too restrictive but I've found less-than-satisfying play when the supply depot looks like a demented pinata exploded with more weaponry than is sane (cough *Berzerk* cough). I mean let people take a Javelin when they are only a SGT, but if they die it should be another 45 minutes between HQ sees fit to equip them with another $100,000 missile. This could usher in an era when you don't want to take a M249 as a pilot because you might crash and lose it and who needs a M249 as a pilot anyway?

4. As far as vehicle arming. I've been trying to make this script but it's not coming out correctly. I've seen KilJoy's coding and I know he could probably do it in 1/10th the time. Basically I'm trying to make a vehicle magazine management interface, like a Gear screen but for vehicles. You roll up to a fixed installation and suddenly you can have 12x 100Rnd M2 magazines in your Stryker_ICV_M2... wouldn't that be nice?

Bring your HMMWV_Mk19 back to base and load up some more Mk19 mags. It's heaven. I know it can be done very simply with a script but my scripting ability is still about 2 months from being that good if I worked on it.

Now that may seem boring but imagine if you could rearm your Harrier with 3x GBU-12s and 2x Sidewinders. Something resembling reality.

5. Rearming jets like the Harrier and A-10 as well as complex weapons on the AH-1Z should NOT be that fast. People complain about all the flyers racking up tons of kills. Having a reload time that was in the minutes instead of seconds would prevent stupid GBU-12 dumb-drop ripple firing over a town and force them to use their ordinance wisely knowing it's gunna take 10 minutes or more to reload those bombs back at base.

Harriers, A-10s, AH-1Zs should be selective, infantry support, not Godzilla with wings.

My question was answered by SES admins, thanks.

Since the idea of revive seems to be a hot topic, I'll offer my thoughts.

In the games we've been enjoying at Tactical Gamer, we almost always have dedicated air transport.  Respawning at Paraiso Airport is not a problem, and we consider it part of the mission and an important part of its inherent logistics.  Revive is not necessary for our purposes, but perhaps it could be added as a config option for server admins (disabled by default); those who want it could enable it, and those who dislike it could leave it disabled.

Now, if you wanted to reward transport pilots (to make the job more appealing), perhaps you could award points to a chopper pilot for travelling more than x meters with player cargo.  For example, if a pilot had three players in his MH6 and transported them more than one kilometer, he'd gain three(?) points.

Anyway, what I really wanted to suggest in this post was a rank system that could be adjusted via config parameters.  I think your current rank system is great for pub servers, and that could be left as the default.  But for servers that are looking to tweak the game play a bit, perhaps the ranks could be configured via variables for each vehicle and weapon type.

You could then remove the rank explanations from the briefing and add them to a "Rank Screen" (accessed via a "My Rank" context menu) so that they could be read from the config variables and displayed appropriately.  You could also display the player's current rank in his "Rank Screen" so that he could see it at any time.

Just a few suggestions for your fine mission based on the game play we're seeing at Tactical Gamer.  You're hitting a broad audience already, but by opening up some of the mission settings to server admins, you could probably hit an even broader audience.  Keep up the great work; we all appreciate it very much!

Hello (first sorry for my poor english).

Can you make INJURIES adn BLEEDING to your MISSIONS ? But special one like this:

1) Every hit/shoot/crash make injuries and cause BLEADING (that means except headshot, you never die instantly.

2) More damage/injuries cause more (speedest) BLEEDING.

3) Bleeding speed is constant, until you are not shooted/damaged again.

4) Bleedings means that your life decrease at constant speed of BLEEDING to 0 = you are dead

5) BLEEDING can be in game made by pain screaming sound of soldier and screen can go little to red collor (like you have pain) or shake with the screen sometimes, or soldier can fall down to ground and cant move for 1-3second (no energy/rest/swoon) for while.

6) When life of soldier is close to zero or very low, soldier go down and cant move (or only can move with head) and have red transparrent screen every second with shaking screen (loosing mind/swoon)...and at ZERO life he dies

7) medic do STOP BLEEDING instantly (stop decreasing of life) and heal injuries only to maximum 1/4 of maximum life, and rest (to 100% life) can be healted only near MEDICAL TENT or HOSPITAL.

8) maximum bleeding speed can be 1/3 of life per second (there is 3 second for stop bleeding by medic, to cheat death)

There is maybe need to remake DAMAGE model, where only head shoots cause isntant death, other hits/damage cause some area/random high bleeding (bleeding=constatn speed of decreasing life). When is life near zero , player loose control and soldier fall down to ground and cant move, until dies or until medic heal him (stop bleeding) and increase little his life to 25% of maximum life, that can be enought to soldier, which can go by own foot to the hospital to "complete heal to full life".

Speed of bleeding can be make in the game like, everytime when life is decreased by 0,05 points, player hears scream and see red partically transparrent red colllor for short time (represents pain).

9) There is no more need to add "respawn" by leader or base vehicle. Please, dont give there option to spawn in other place like base. That can make from the game crap.

10) Only one "respawn" option which is good and can help make game better, is to allow to resspawn to your AI soldiers in your squad, when "leader" accept that by the option like is used by accepting recruiting new squad member by the squadleader.

PS: thank you for the best mission for Armed Assault, which return my Armed Assault game from trash back to my PC.

What you are looking for is the french "Xtrem ArmA Mod" also termed XAM.

http://xam.armedassault.fr/us/index.html

Injuries, self-bandage that cures randomly (i.e works or not and you're dead).

Besides, enemies AI now take cover under heavy fire (i.e AI do fear death smile_o.gif )

And link to a video :

Enjoy.

Concerning the revive script.

A friend of mine suggested that when a guy dies, he could have few secs to get heal/revive, and would otherwise respawn to the defined place.

But I still personnally think that this would turn ArmA into Enemy Territory clone.

(and I like enemy territory, that's not the point here).

Anyway, I must say that I globally agree with fardwark's remarks. Especially the radiotower one.

Tell us your thoughts Kiljoy.

Thanks.

wink_o.gif

Hello (first sorry for my poor english).

Can you make INJURIES adn BLEEDING to your MISSIONS ? But special one like this:

1) Every hit/shoot/crash make injuries and cause BLEADING (that means except headshot, you never die instantly.

2) More damage/injuries cause more (speedest) BLEEDING.

3) Bleeding speed is constant, until you are not shooted/damaged again.

4) Bleedings means that your life decrease at constant speed of BLEEDING to 0 = you are dead

5) BLEEDING can be in game made by pain screaming sound of soldier and screen can go little to red collor (like you have pain) or shake with the screen sometimes, or soldier can fall down to ground and cant move for 1-3second (no energy/rest/swoon) for while.

6) When life of soldier is close to zero or very low, soldier go down and cant move (or only can move with head) and have red transparrent screen every second with shaking screen (loosing mind/swoon)...and at ZERO life he dies

7) medic do STOP BLEEDING instantly (stop decreasing of life) and heal injuries only to maximum 1/4 of maximum life, and rest (to 100% life) can be healted only near MEDICAL TENT or HOSPITAL.

8) maximum bleeding speed can be 1/3 of life per second (there is 3 second for stop bleeding by medic, to cheat death)

There is maybe need to remake DAMAGE model, where only head shoots cause isntant death, other hits/damage cause some area/random high bleeding (bleeding=constatn speed of decreasing life). When is life near zero , player loose control and soldier fall down to ground and cant move, until dies or until medic heal him (stop bleeding) and increase little his life to 25% of maximum life, that can be enought to soldier, which can go by own foot to the hospital to "complete heal to full life".

Speed of bleeding can be make in the game like, everytime when life is decreased by 0,05 points, player hears scream and see red partically transparrent red colllor for short time (represents pain).

9) There is no more need to add "respawn" by leader or base vehicle. Please, dont give there option to spawn in other place like base. That can make from the game crap.

10) Only one "respawn" option which is good and can help make game better, is to allow to resspawn to your AI soldiers in your squad, when "leader" accept that by the option like is used by accepting recruiting new squad member by the squadleader.

PS: thank you for the best mission for Armed Assault, which return my Armed Assault game from trash back to my PC.

What you are looking for is the french "Xtrem ArmA Mod" also termed XAM.

http://xam.armedassault.fr/us/index.html

Injuries, self-bandage that cures randomly (i.e works or not and you're dead).

Besides, enemies AI now take cover under heavy fire (i.e AI do fear death smile_o.gif  )

And link to a video :

Enjoy.

Thanks for info, but that is not that same, what i wrotte. I dont want SELF BANDAGE or random HEAL and i dont wont resspawn. sad_o.gif

I want death like in real. In real battle, when you dies instantly, you must have lucky. Meybe 95% of soldiers whitch are hurt have long death, from few seconds to few minutes. Only when you are killed by big explossion or you are shooted to the head, are you instantly death. So i want to have few second or minutes to die. In the battle many of soldiers can be "Stabilized" by the MEDICs (not HEALED! only stabilized = stop bleeding) and they can continue in fight (with some troubles of course) or can return to hospital to heal.

And in real battle when you hit someone to the leg or hand, he start bleeding and can death, when is not healed. And of course, he is wounded and oftly is out of battle, because must find MEDIC to stop bleeding. That can make game more interrest for medics and can lead most players to be not so oftly killed and have look on death/respawn count.

@Frederf - I generally agree with all points.

@Kiljoy - I'm not a scripter at this point, but back in my day I spent crazy time making a different game do things IT wasn't supposed to do using scripting (Jedi Knight and MOTS for anyone who cares).

The emphasis of roles, to me, is not what your model looks like - I understand this is a engine limitation for all we know at this point. Pretty yes, gameplay oriented, no.

The actual  implementation of roles is really about:

1) Restricting access to some features (ie vehicles) while enabling access to others....

To accomplish:

Each player has a variable array called skills(n), where each array element corresponds to a skill area ie. for n1, piloting, for n2, armour etc. The value of each array element corresponds to the level of progression ie. skill(1)=2 means player has increased pilot skill two levels, and can pilot Mh6 for the first level and MH60 for the second.

The restrictions are implemented by inserting a check against the corresponding player skill(n) value in the already scripted Rank check for each vehicle.

2) Players choosing what they can access from a structured hierarchy

To accomplish: In the script which determines when the player ranks up, insert code to notify player of new skill point awarded. The player has to return to base to choose the skill from a window accessed at the Transfer desk. (This is more realistic than doing it in the field, and prevents the player from being distracted in the middle of a firefight.) Choice limitations are governed here, as well as implementing changes to the skill(n) variable. I don't think "selling" skill points to "buy" into another profession should be allowed, however if a profession change is desired, one could choose to retire a profession to begin another. ie.retiring from Air Force skill tree permits the player to follow another path, but prohibits them from using their Air Force skills to pilot until they retire again and choose to re-enlist in the airforce at the point they left off. (Enabling these changes over a re-spawn solves the potential issue of eg.Sniper re-enlisting as pilot and essentially having a dual role.)

3)Balancing roles

To accomplish: This is actually not so difficult to do - avoiding the syndrome of everyone wanting to be a Cobra pilot for example is a matter of balancing the rewards with other factors - ie. like Frederf suggested, increase reload times is one strategy. Another is to instill a sense of responsibility by penalizing the player for lost equipment - a Cobra pilot who goes out and kills 3 tanks + crew and 4 inf, but loses his ride in the process gets the kill credits of course, but the actual points he gains might net to 1 instead of 21...which is realistic in the sense that pilots who lose their assets do NOT get promoted quickly!   biggrin_o.gif

Similar restrictions can be placed on tankers, or plane pilots.

Where infantry are concerned, they take greater risk to themselves and could therefore have increased rewards, as well. This could mean a higher rate of skill point acquisition, or being the only class to have more than one AI, being rewarded for AI or teammate kills in some way while in a leadership role, having the luxury of diversifying more at the lower levels of all roles...

So, in summary, the mechanics of implementing roles is absolutely doable with some scripting, and balancing the risk-reward factors for each role can make them each satisfying and unique in their progression. The benefit to clanplay, teamplay, and simulation which is this game's singular unique strength is huge IMO.

Allowing the model issue to be the limiting factor, to me, is like saying the board game RISK is not worth playing because all the units look the same -it's still a great classic game and fun to play! tounge2.gif ...and frankly, though inexperienced with the engine, I'm not entirely convinced that there isn't a workaround yet to be discovered for in-game model assignment (or perhaps, modification).

Hopefully you'll consider my arguments here, and re-consider this issue for inclusion in what is to me the most promising mission scenario out there.

Cheers and beers, - J.

@PilusPrimus: KilJoy has made a few posts about his ideas on a role and skill system before.

I think the idea of specialization is a good one only if it's tempered with the notion that:

1. People get bored with a job after 2 hours

2. The needs of the mission change throughout the mission

3. There are not so many players that non-flexible roles really works.

In my opinion the best skills and roles type system for Evolution would encourage specialization, discourage schizophrenic role changing, but allow flexibility in role for the user's sanity and the mission's requirements.

---------------------

I have said it before and I'll agree with PilusPrimus on the idea that Losing Valuable Vehicles = Negative Reinforcement. I've tried to think of several motivations for pilots and drivers to not be foolhearty with the equipment that belongs to everyone on the server (This "my cobra" attitude is crap, more like "the cobra that belongs to everyone that is currently under my care.")

1. Points penalties for lost equipment

2. Longer respawn for lost equipment

3. Inability to just hop in the next equipment down the line without recovery of old

--------------------------

Should be rewarded for kills by your AI. If you put a M240 AI next to an assault that kills enemy threatening human players. Not getting a point for that should be a crime.

--------------------------

@Anunnaki you are basically describing the medic/injury system from OFP's WGL mod. I appreciate your enthusiasm (if not your spelling, grammar, and visual layout of posts crazy_o.gif ). I too wouldn't mind a more "WGL" like experience from ArmA but I think asking for KilJoy to code all that is a mammoth task. I'm pretty sure "ACE" mod makers have already gotten in very deep on that task.

------------------------

Quote[/b] ]Now, if you wanted to reward transport pilots (to make the job more appealing), perhaps you could award points to a chopper pilot for traveling more than x meters with player cargo. For example, if a pilot had three players in his MH6 and transported them more than one kilometer, he'd gain three(?) points.

Already in Evolution. Next!

-------------------------

@KilJoy -- As far as the controversial issues like career path, reviving, etc go understand all of us are suggesting these things from our own personal wants and wishes. The player base might vocally cry out for X or Y but the player base is notoriously shortsighted. Most often suggestions will be made that increase their score at the game, usually making it easier or more adapted to their idea of how to play. I hope that you take the content of these suggestions separate from the urgency and make up your own mind how you want Evolution to be. If you let Evolution be designed by a mass committee you'd end up with BF2 and no one wants that.

@KilJoy -- Perhaps the "team switch" feature can be used to switch models? I mean you transport into a different unit but with the right amount of scripting the change would be invisible (same group assignment, same score, etc).

@KilJoy -- Perhaps make a punishment for collateral damage? I saw one group simply dumb-fire GBU-12 carpet bombing the map without regard for Civilian homes or even BLUFOR ground forces' safety. I know there are some Civilians in Paraiso but I don't know if bombing them counts as negative points. I wouldn't mind some Civilians running around so you can't just shoot everything you see or bomb entire cities to rubble (what's the fun in that?)

-----------------------

Quote[/b] ]After having played evo 3.0 a few times, I wish to offer up some thoughts.

Engineer-constructed FARP

It would be nice if the ammo-box in the FARP included ammunition for all the weapontypes available. As it is now, it doesn't hold M136 rockets (very important!wink_o.gif or satchel charges, something which seriously decreases the usefulness of it. I understand the main purpose of it is to refuel and repair vehicles, but it would be nice if at least a handful of M136 rockets could be added to it.

Radio tower

The placement (and defense) of the radio tower in the cities makes it impossible to destroy it in any way other than an all-out attack to clear out the enemy and get close enough to satchel it or blowing it up through airstrikes.

There is no way for the SF team to make a stealthy approach and blow it prior to the main attack, seeing as how it is so well defended and usually placed far enough inside the enemy lines that sneaking in becomes a big problem.

I like the system with reinforcements, don't get me wrong, but I don't like how the tactical options are limited to balls-out attack or airstrike to eliminate the tower. Place the radio tower a bit outside the main enemy area to give the SF team a chance to do their job.

Mobile Respawn/Optional Respawn Areas

After Paraiso and Somato falls, respawn and transport becomes a problem. Even if you have dedicated transport pilots it still becomes an issue to organize and coordinate. Example being the pilot picking up a couple of guys and is half-way down to the Cayo area when suddenly another three guys die. Either way people are going to be left waiting for quite some time before they can be picked up.

So, my suggestion is, show a dialog when people die allowing them to pick their respawn point: Paraiso International, or one of the pre-placed FARPs. That should eliminate quite a bit of issues.

AA at the airport

Could the airport please be defended by some kind of AA? It gets very annoying when KA-50s appear and totally wreck the airport without you having a chance to defend it. Maybe a couple of AA soldiers stationed around the main area or something.

Yeah AT4 rearms and satchels at a FARP, sure.

It sounds like you have a very narrow view of what SF does, that is must always do something sneaky and blow up an objective. I don't want to sound demeaning but perhaps SF already has tons of fun stuff to do without attacking the radio tower. What's wrong with leaving something special for the regular attacking force besides mopping up AI? SF has tons of jobs outside of hitting the radio tower with a satchel including laser designating, reconning, securing the officer. You assume it's the SF's job to blow up the tower. Besides if the tower was always blown up then there'd be no reinforcements.

KilJoy has said he doesn't want to have forward respawns for a number of reasons. With a decent pilot or two nobody waits for transport more than 2 minutes.

I definitely agree with anti aircraft stations at the airport. It's ridiculous and very dangerous for gameplay to have a Ka50 or Su34 flying over the base. Ka50s are notorious for landing on buildings, people, and equipment at base. A few AI RACS Vulcans would be most welcome.

---------------------------

@KilJoy -- I know you would be lynched if you were to change this but can you make the MH-6 unlocked at the Lieutenant rank and not the Sergeant rank? Helicopter obsession as well as a flurry of bad pilots has made MH-6 sergeants an utter joke. I like to play servers without MH-6 respawn simply because they are being flown by good people or they are wrecks smoking in some valley where they can't hurt people.

The ground vehicles are sorely lacking in press and use because the MH-6 and the Stryker are available at the same time. I mean what's a pubbie going to pick? Honestly.

I would also hope to reduce the requirements for Stryker ATGM (SGT/LT?) and M1A1 (CPT/MAJ?) more so that people actually use them. I know you don't want tons of "super vehicles" running around but honestly the Stryker ATGM is NOT a super vehicle. It's extremely fragile and hard to use.

I just played an Eastern version of 3.0 on a Russian server just now. It was a good conversion, using the SLA as the player side with the US occupying the towns. Nobody spoke English on the server, though, so I was wondering where I might be able to get it?

With all this discussion about bleeding out or dying instantly... while only headshots or close explosions kill instantly, many wounds will usually incapacitate a soldier, or put him out of the fight.

So, what I propose is this... if a soldier is wounded and "incapaciated" and a medic is nearby, he can be healed to the worst living condition but must be evacuated back to a hospital to get full health (as someone mentioned).

This adds realism and gives transport pilots something else to do beside just pick up troops at base and drop them into the battle. Now we can be dust-off pilots too. smile_o.gif

For the next version, I have some suggestions.

1) Make only pilots able to fly helicopters/aircraft, but let them fly helicopters from rank 1, and when they level up they get access to more.

2) Make a crewman class for armored vehicles (m113's, strykers, m1a1's, etc). Same principle as pilots.

3) Both these classes should have limited space and extremely limited weapon selection so they cannot jump out and go rambo like infantry. No rifles of any kind, perhaps a submachine-gun option when they gain rank, but for the most part, only pistols.

4) Let the non-rocket UH-60's respawn. It is really killing the game when the people at the beginning kill them all so early.

5) Have the ability to cancel missions.

@PilusPrimus_aka_jONATHAN is all that to stop snipers carrying at4? Its a real pity the kill statistics are not returned for use in scripting you can only get a players score. It would make it easyer to balance scores for different classes. If the only penelty comes from the loss of equipment It would have to be very steep to offset the points you could make from the vehicle as opposed to being a sniper. The thing is most vehicles on the ground or in the air are killed instantly by stingers or rpg. Its a real dice roll , you can make a bunch of points or take an rpg hit or komov attack without getting so much as one kill. Maybe its like that in real life but I dont think so , somthing tells me in hostile teritory ground vehicles would have propper support to counter there weekneses either by air or spotters or uav or troops on the gound all orderd by of course a propper command structure that a public game could never have. If engineers did there jobs I dont think people in general would worry so much about lost equipment peneltys. Maybe its not in the briefing but they earn a lot of points repairng vehicles with markers saying needs repair when they use there FARP to repair it to %100.

I tryed putting different ammo in the farp ammo box but i had some problems with it and server error messeges. About air defence at the airport might put some AA ai in there but for now remember the ammo trucks contain a stinger and theres 2 nearby. for engineers, you make farps with repair trucks, repair trucks always carry 3 AT4 ammo.

About people complaining there is no difference between sniper and rifleman, engineer and medic are the first 2 of unique classes that use extra scripting to make them a bit more interesting. There is one advantage to sniper and it is built in to arma so it is true for any mission the sniper has the best camouflage rating in the game and the next best is special forces. This basically means enemy will notice you less.

There is no east version of evolution. But ive been thinking about it lately. I like to drive a lot of Russian vehicles.

Seems to me the biggest problem for lone special forces types

is they are not revived but behind enemy lines is they are often made POW.

@Kiljoy - thanks for the remarks. The sniper situation is just one example of realistically depicting the abilities and responsibilities of a soldier on the battlefield... but spcifically for snipers, if they tend to be the lowest scoring class then perhaps they could be assigned special targets, like a squad leader for example, that would be worth more? Which is typically what a sniper in the field will be expected to do - wait for the order to shoot, and do it (I have a friend who was a Canadian Forces sniper on loan to the US for the first Iraq invasion. Interesting stories there....but i digress...)

The gist is that though I realize that ArmA has it's own in-engine scoring system, there's nothing preventing a scripted scoring system from supplementing it, is there?

Just a thought. Cheers

5) Have the ability to cancel missions.

0-0-3, have you read the briefing? It costs you 2 points.

Small bug: briefing says you can now drive M1A1 as Major, but game still requires Colonel rank.

It sounds like you have a very narrow view of what SF does, that is must always do something sneaky and blow up an objective. I don't want to sound demeaning but perhaps SF already has tons of fun stuff to do without attacking the radio tower. What's wrong with leaving something special for the regular attacking force besides mopping up AI? SF has tons of jobs outside of hitting the radio tower with a satchel including laser designating, reconning, securing the officer. You assume it's the SF's job to blow up the tower. Besides if the tower was always blown up then there'd be no reinforcements.

I don't have a narrow view of what SF does. But consider this: The destruction of the radio tower is an important objective when taking a town, since it will stop enemy reinforcements. So, we can say that we have to destroy the tower somehow. Especially since I mentioned that me and my friends usually play 'small' missions: There is no main attacking force, there's just us.

Early in the game (before having access to the AV8s) there is only one possible method of destruction, and that is fighting your way in through an assault, put a satchel down and then back off and blow it.

Later on, you have access to the AV8s and can use the laser designator to blow the tower prior to attacking.

I simply want the mission to allow for a second option: A stealthy SF insertion that can get in and out without alerting the enemies that much or at all.

I'm not saying it has to be easy to sneak in with SF to blow it, I just want it to be possible. And that means trying to place the tower further out from the center of the town.

What exactly is required for a town to be considered captured in v3.0? My buddy and I are still stuck on the first town, we've blown the radio tower (even though its not considered destroyed in the secondary objective), and we've captured the officer.

After countless missions on both air and ground, it seems Parisio has an endless supply of full squads, apc's, uaz's, and tanks.

sounds like you arent leaving an AI hidden on the edge of the grey zone to stop the enemy infinitely respawning whenever you both die....

@ June 22 2007,02:31)]There is no east version of evolution. But ive been thinking about it lately. I like to drive a lot of Russian vehicles.

yay.gif that's the best news for me smile_o.gifnotworthy.gif

I just played an Eastern version of 3.0 on a Russian server just now. It was a good conversion, using the SLA as the player side with the US occupying the towns. Nobody spoke English on the server, though, so I was wondering where I might be able to get it?

You should have it on your hard disk already if you played it multiplayers.

wink_o.gif

What exactly is required for a town to be considered captured in v3.0? My buddy and I are still stuck on the first town, we've blown the radio tower (even though its not considered destroyed in the secondary objective), and we've captured the officer.

After countless missions on both air and ground, it seems Parisio has an endless supply of full squads, apc's, uaz's, and tanks.

If the radio tower is still on map, then you've blown up the wrong one... whistle.gif

I don't have a narrow view of what SF does. But consider this: The  destruction of the radio tower is an important objective when taking a town, since it will stop enemy reinforcements. So, we can say that we have to destroy the tower somehow. Especially since I mentioned that me and my friends usually play 'small' missions: There is no main attacking force, there's just us.

Early in the game (before having access to the AV8s) there is only one possible method of destruction, and that is fighting your way in through an assault, put a satchel down and then back off and blow it.

Later on, you have access to the AV8s and can use the laser designator to blow the tower prior to attacking.

I simply want the mission to allow for a second option: A stealthy SF insertion that can get in and out without alerting the enemies that much or at all.

I'm not saying it has to be easy to sneak in with SF to blow it, I just want it to be possible. And that means trying to place the tower further out from the center of the town.

I'm having the same issue mate.

For the most part I only play with 2 other friends and now a stealthy assault on the secondary objective is out of the question as they are always around the centre of the cities.

More secondary objectives which are more isolated from the main cities would massively increase the enjoyment and break up the monotony of simply "Oh, that towns fallen...on to the next one...". It encourages greater teamwork as you are working to a definite objective rather than simply killing people.

I'm not saying get rid of the radio towers as I think they are an excellent idea, it's just there needs to be a wider range of objectives which are more accessible to smaller groups.

Can someone please point me in the direction of the scripts that do these to functions...

2. Added Engineer class (repairs for points)

AND

9. New randomized civilian parked car generator system.

I could use them a lot in my own maps.

@ June 22 2007,02:31)]There is no east version of evolution. But ive been thinking about it lately. I like to drive a lot of Russian vehicles.

yay.gif that's the best news for me smile_o.gifnotworthy.gif

There is, mate! I was playing it last night. No English speakers on the server though (either that or they just wouldn't talk to me...).

Where do downloaded missions get stored in ArmA?