Sign in to follow this  
insomnianshadow

ArmA 1.08 makes me want to throw up

BIS finally did it .. they completely fubared the visuals of the game... The new light contrast/brightness/gamma and HDR settings screw up the "color brilliance" of the game (which initially was the reason I bought the game and started modding for it.....)

1.05 was just fine from the visuals point of view .. why .. oh why did you have to change it ?

The new nightvision is just a laugh .. why did you remove the noise from the nv google display destroying the whole night atmosphere ?

And all this without releasing a SDK so none of us actually will be able to undo these cruel changes....

Thank you BIS for turning one of the greatest games into a joke.....

I am actually now forced to rollback to 1.05 and basically desync from the rest of the community mad_o.gif

While not being the best example.... I have put these 3 shots together documenting the unstopple decay of visual quality with each new version released ... keep in mind that all 3 shots have been taken with absolutely the same gfx settings.... notice how first the shadow range is dramatically changed .. lod models replaced with "ugly versions"... and last but not least the dramatic change of brightness in the new 1.08 version..... Most of the time when you walk around now the brightness of the landscape caused by the sun is heavily reduced..... at the same time the new HDR effects are overbrightening in a extreme way rendering basically all vehicles (especially helicopters almost useless)

http://doom3.planet-multiplayer.de/5.56FMJ/images/visual_decay.gif

The limit for hotlinked pics is 100kb - 683.29 KB is totally unacceptable - Fubar

icon_rolleyes.gif

Do you think perhaps it's beyond your capacity to approach a topic with a bit of tact and maturity? Or do you always speak out of your ass first, hoping no one will catch the stink.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Do you think perhaps it's beyond your capacity to approach a topic with a bit of tact and maturity? Or do you always speak out of your ass first, hoping no one will catch the stink.

I don't see anything wrong with my post nor with the way of its composition ....

If you enjoy being treated like a brainless consumer than it is your problem .. anything I wrote is based on facts that passed days of extended testing and comparing.... I prepare myself very well before posting and any word of the inital post has been chosen with care.....

icon_rolleyes.gif

I don't see anything wrong with my post nor with the way of its composition ....

If you enjoy being treated like a brainless consumer than it is your problem .. anything I wrote is based on facts that passed days of extended testing and comparing.... I prepare myself very well before posting and any word of the inital post has been chosen with care.....

That is not an answer.

Quote[/b] ]Do you think perhaps it's beyond your capacity to approach a topic with a bit of tact and maturity?

...Or do you always speak out of your ass first, hoping no one will catch the stink.

Oh you mean that maturity?

I am actually now forced to rollback to 1.05 and basically desync from the rest of the community mad_o.gif

No you're not forced, we can live with it so I'm pretty sure you can. The NVGs are a massive improvement IMHO and I don't see how a bit of HDR difference (yeah, it's annoying indoors, but this game is mainly outdoors) will FORCE you to rollback to 1.05 crazy_o.gif And I certainly don't see how you manage to think that completely ruins the game's visuals.

Maybe you can throw up on your screen and get some of that night ambience back. Seriously, I disliked the old night vision, it made night missions a chore trying to figure out what you were looking at. Also it wasn't realistic. If you look at real videos of night vision it's a lot clearer than that in 1.05.

...Or do you always speak out of your ass first, hoping no one will catch the stink.

Oh you mean that maturity?

What, all of a sudden I'm not allowed to reciprocate in a like fashion?

Point being, I don't think any of us can begin to count how many like threads there are. "Someone" will ultimately come in here, beating their chest whilst they moan and complain, and then proceed to state they will never come back. Now, there is certainly nothing wrong with posting valid issue one might have with the game, but in the very least a individual could do so in a level-headed manner.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Your choices are limited.

1. Make bland statements and they will be ignored.

2. Throw out your harsh judgement and watch out for the defensive replies.

When it comes to "complaining," banghead.gif is more effective than sharing it in these parts.

Which leaves you 2 options. Quit playing ArmedA, or stuff it all inside until the next disappointment casues an outburst.

It suks to come to this realization after waiting so long for ArmedA.

I do believe that BIS is trying to make this work, but like you I see an uncertain future. No point letting it eat you up. Yes we both invested a small sum on the game, and many hours.

However it is BIS who really have their butts on the line.

I hope that they feel enough pressure as to be properly motivated. I'm numb over the whole deal now. Either they will salvage it or i will move on when another entertainment opportunity arises. huh.gif

And you're exactly correct. The overall visual quality of the game has been sacrificed for what ever reason/reasons.

If they did a patch where visual quality etc were improved, you'd be complaining that it's too system intensive.

BIS finally did it .. they completely fubared the visuals of the game... The new light contrast/brightness/gamma and HDR settings screw up the "color brilliance" of the game (which initially was the reason I bought the game and started modding for it.....)

insomnianshadow, did you experiment with the

'digital color vibrance' settings(driver), provided you got an Nvidia card?

Also, did you experiment with different HDR values like '16' and '32' ?

I am asking, because vanilla ArmA without changes does look somewhat bland, granted, but with 'digital color vibrance' set

to 'medium/high' and in addition HDR to 16 or even 32 *vividly* enhances the ArmA looks. imo.

@KJAM...

I am the last person that would do so ... If it were up to me games would always run a bit slower but looking better (since every 6 months a new hardware generation is evolving, speed was never a valid reason to justify dramatic cutdowns in new patches....

@troop

the 'digital color vibrance' method would not be an ideal solution since that way you would get an even higher overbrighted HDR correction.....

You know .. probably I wouldn't be so pissed if I wouldn't have developed my own game (based on another company) there being provided with a proper SDK and tool basically giving me the freedom to mod and change a game to my desires......

I actually wouldn't make such a rattle if I wouldn't care about this game seeing all it's potential and all the hard work put inside it.........

But being forced to swallow all those changes (without any way to change them back or let the devs know about my grief) makes a gfx-whore like me see red....

Just because the SDK Tools aren't out NOW doesn't mean they won't ever come out

Lwet me guess, you were one of those "I want the patch and I want it now" kind of people

Yep Kjam.....and the moral of the story is everybody will have something to complain about but the difference is those who do so in a productive manner. Some people will enjoy things while others don't, and that doesn't make those who like Armed Assault brainless consumers just because we disagree w/ u. I think that right there shows your lack of maturity.

Also, ppl please stop being attention wh0res and making your own thread complaining about stuff. Let's be productive and post in the ArmA is disappointing thread.

i dont see the probelm here.. 1.08 looks far better than 1.02 or 1.05/06.

befor 1.08 the colors looked too "washed out" and bland, now everything looks more vibrant.

if you think it looks too dark, turn up your brightness and adjust your gamma. just because they are set to default, doesnt mean that it looks the same on all hardware set ups.

there is a real simple solution to your problem.

dont like the brightness, adjust it to your liking.

i think someday there would be a "why i cant piss and take a crap in the game" topic huh.gif

@insomnianshadow

For a "gfx-whore", I'm surprised you haven't heard of gamma and brightness settings?

oh boy .. first of all the brightness slider in version 1.08 is limited to the value "1.6" which isn't enough to recreate the version 1.05 visual appearance... and even if you override that value manually over the cfg file you get absolute wrong results since you completely overbright the HDR bright values.... not to mention that things like the sky and other non light recieving elements are being rendereing just wrong with those high settings........

I kinda get the feeling that the majority of users here are using TFT screens actually not noticing those fine changes .......

And you're exactly correct. The overall visual quality of the game has been sacrificed for what ever reason/reasons.

Some visual quality was "sacrificed" to improve performance.

I wouldn't consider my computer "high-end", but I can still set many settings to medium or high while retaining a good framerate in 1.08. I took the time to take and upload some example screens, all including framerate overlay. I also included my settings:

Corazol1_thumb.jpg

Large

Corazol2_thumb.jpg

Large

Forest1_thumb.jpg

Large

Forest2_thumb.jpg

Large

Forest3_thumb.jpg

Large

Settings_thumb.jpg

Large

Screens are all from 1.08 and I don't know what would make me want to throw up here... Performance is great and the visuals are still good. Notice though, that I have brightness and gamma on 1.2.

I fully understand.

I did notice the change in gfx quality from 1.00 to 1.05

and somewhere here expressed my 'concern' where this

sacrifice would lead to. Now we know.

There was an hefty price (gfx quality) to pay for the vast improved

performance of 1.08.

While this is hard to put up with, I think at an later date (~1 year)

BIS could easily change it back as it was with 1.00 or at

least give the customer the choice to use some 'Ultra' settings.

Right now, as we can see in the troubleshooting section,

too high settings cause all kind of errors, because even the

most powerful PC is unable to run ArmA with max settings;..

errorfree. I'm fully confident, this will change over time

(8800 being too new technology, 1st generation DX10 hardware)

If rumors are correct, the 2nd generation (nvidia) DX10 hardware

(9800) is 3 times as powerful as current 8800GTX;..but its

just not here now and it will take at least 1 year, for derivates

of this new powerhouses to spread.

ArmA, just like OFP before it, is/was way ahead of its time

thus bad performance had to be swallowed(1.00). imo.

Come an extention(if any) it would be the right time to implement some 'Ultra' setting again. smile_o.gif