Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

6thSense.eu Presents: Tracers (Beta)

I was hoping to have tracers for small arms like 1 in 5 or 1 in 3, but I'm happy with that smile_o.gif

Play 6thSenseMod and all ur wishes will be pleased, heheh smile_o.gif

Really, ppl can now choose for themselves how it is in SinglePlayer, for the rest the Multiplayer communities should fight it out right smile_o.gif

@sickboy

Good choice, I like it.

@Panda[PL]

@ June 12 2007,14:20)]The default units are US, default weapons are US weapons and hence I don't understand why would they use FDF or German loadouts.

As I wrote about FDF I would like to clarify that I didnt want the FDF loadout as default. It was just an example as not all armies use the US-loadout. In default arma there are also RACS and SLA, not all default units nor weapons are US.. And maybe the FDF-loadout would fit SLA better? Once again, I used it just as an example.

(Not everyone plays as US in arma...)

I quoted an earlier reply that, I thought, explains my view:

@ June 10 2007,13:25)]Other armies use their own rifles usually. This addons only works for default BIS.

Yes, FDF have their own rifles and configurations. But my point was that maybe SLA uses tracers different than US, and they are default BIS. Then again RACS probably uses the same system as US since they are trained be them?

Not all play as US in arma...

But I think I have totally misunderstood you Panda[PL], I thought that you gave information about how the tracers should be implemented, period. But now I see that you are researching about US-forces. And as RACS and SLA are fictional they can be configured any way..

And you are totally right that any upcoming mod/addon can configure their own magasines.

Another thing; Nobody claimed that we can't have different tracer settings per side, you "NarrowMinded this, and Narrowminded That"  pplz :P

Thats promising! But your default choice are very good in my opinion.

I think that's a good choice, Sickboy. Thanks again for all your work on this, and thanks again to all who have contributed to this mod.

6thSense.eu Tracers v0.1RC6 (I truelly hope this is the last RC lol)

[*] Added SIX_TracersCfg_SP configuration class check; When Single Player mode is activated, you can now override tracer settings if you have the SIX_TracersCfg_SP Addon installed and the SIX_TracersCfg_SP.hpp file configured. NOTE: Mission Settings precede SP Configuration!

[*] Rifle tracers disabled by default, check SIX_TracersCfg_SP.hpp for re-enabling inside SP Missions, SIX_TracersCfg.hpp for re-enabling inside MP Missions or the Addon Configuration itself for Default Configuration (Any mod is welcome to use)

[*] Fixed Rifles that shouldn't get tracers

[*] Moved Documents and examples to Docs folder

Demo2 has an example SIX_TracersCfg.hpp to show how to enable rifle tracers through mission configuration.

SIX_TracersCfg_SP.hpp shows an example on how to enable rifle tracers for SinglePlayer

[*] SIX_TracersCfg.hpp "Default Config" Pastebin

[*] SIX_TracersCfg.hpp "Enable Rifle Tracers" Pastebin

[*] SIX_TracersCfg_SP.hpp "Enable Rifle Tracers" Pastebin

Me hope, you like smile_o.gif "Configuration Power to the PPL", Awaiting your feedback, as always!

thx sickboy

@all

the main reason for Arma/OPF to have tracers is to help player to locate enemy position using a small pc screen and pc speakers

in RL muzzle flash and sound will mostly give away position of shooter, even when not looking straight into his direction

QuietMan

Added SIX_TracersCfg_SP configuration class check; When Single Player mode is activated, you can now override tracer settings if you have the SIX_TracersCfg_SP Addon installed and the SIX_TracersCfg_SP.hpp file configured.

uups, SIX_TracersCfg_SP.hpp requires a specific mod folder, I fear you will be flooded with "how to install?" and "it's not working" messages

If there is no better simple solution, I recommend to make two plain pbo versions people can dump into an mod or into the arma\addon folder

QuietMan

6thSense.eu Tracers v0.1RC6 (I truelly hope this is the last RC lol)

[*] Added SIX_TracersCfg_SP configuration class check; When Single Player mode is activated, you can now override tracer settings if you have the SIX_TracersCfg_SP Addon installed and the SIX_TracersCfg_SP.hpp file configured. NOTE: Mission Settings precede SP Configuration!

[*] Rifle tracers disabled by default, check SIX_TracersCfg_SP.hpp for re-enabling inside SP Missions, SIX_TracersCfg.hpp for re-enabling inside MP Missions or the Addon Configuration itself for Default Configuration (Any mod is welcome to use)

[*] Fixed Rifles that shouldn't get tracers

[*] Moved Documents and examples to Docs folder

Demo2 has an example SIX_TracersCfg.hpp to show how to enable rifle tracers through mission configuration.

SIX_TracersCfg_SP.hpp shows an example on how to enable rifle tracers for SinglePlayer

[*] SIX_TracersCfg.hpp "Default Config" Pastebin

[*] SIX_TracersCfg.hpp "Enable Rifle Tracers" Pastebin

[*] SIX_TracersCfg_SP.hpp "Enable Rifle Tracers" Pastebin

Me hope, you like smile_o.gif "Configuration Power to the PPL", Awaiting your feedback, as always!

Damn! Always when I'm at work! *sneeks and installs ArmA on his uber-slow work comp*

biggrin_o.gif

Thanks again Sickboy for taking the horns with these tracers!

uups, SIX_TracersCfg_SP.hpp requires a specific mod folder, I fear you will be flooded with "how to install?" and "it's not working" messages

If there is no better simple solution, I recommend to make two plain pbo versions people can dump into an mod or into the arma\addon folder

QuietMan

I took this way for a few reasons, though I'll think some more about it. One of them is that the user has a choice, either go for just the addon with default config, add the SP config for enabled tracers per 5 Rifle settings, or on top of that edit the SP config to own likings.

Anyone who's happy with the default config should not have to go through the hassle of an extra addon and config file in his addons (which he could remove).

Aswell as ppl that actually want the SP configuration don't need to add the custom addon and config to the folder. Merely enable it through -mod.

Your proposal about multiple pbo's with configurations misses the point of the system; highly configurable to anyone's needs. Current SP method has the config portion outside the pbo with maximum configurability smile_o.gif

The flood of how to install, should be minimal as the readme states the steps, plus it's nothing else than adding another modfolder which they kinda should know by now.

@sickboy

dude, what u've done is absolutely awesome!!!! One question - have you done testing with 1.08 patch. I believe I experienced some problems yesterday running the latest tracers mod on top of the 1.08 patch. When armed with AK74&GP25 and Makarov, there was a bug with weapons models. I had Makarov in my hands switched back to AK, but the gun model remained that of Makarov; I was able to fire 30 rounds in Full Auto outta Makarov!

In the left top corner the weapon selection indicated I was armed with AK and I could toggle Semi & Auto modes back and forth. I'll test it again to see whether it was just one off.

Yeah, I understand how this works... but is it now impossible to have your tracers at the end of a mag? Easy enough to get the tracers coming outta the small arms, but it's all 1-in-5 now. No pastebin for last 5,3 etc?

Loving your work though, Sick. The interior structure of the addon itself is a piece of art, nice and minimalist.

@sickboy

dude, what u've done is absolutely awesome!!!! ...

In the left top corner the weapon selection indicated I was armed with AK and I could toggle Semi & Auto modes back and forth. I'll test it again to see whether it was just one off.

Thanks Mate. The addon is fully 1.07 and upwards, especially 1.08 compatible. The bug you describe is a normal ArmA bug mate smile_o.gif Afaik rejoining the server helps or dropping all weapons and picking up 1 by 1.

@Cameron, ty mate, im proud of the structure and config overrides myself aswell biggrin_o.gif ArmA allows for really great options!

Just add: SIX_tracerLast=5; to your SP and or Mission Config.

Example: http://www.pastebin.ca/563573

At final release ill include the config as example :P

The tracer size for the kinetic penetrators (APFSDS-T) is too big, the penetrator is only 22 mm in diameter.

Tracers look too thick most of the time, don't know if those tracers start to disappear if they were made smaller, like the old tracers we tested.

A tracer should not exceed the projectile diameter too much.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot LOL tounge2.gif

The tracer size for the kinetic penetrators (APFSDS-T) is too big, the penetrator is only 22 mm in diameter.

The tracer "core" has 30 mm diameter atm.

The rest is the "glow" layers that create the impression.

Yes generally small object dissapear on distance because of screen resolution. If you look without any magnification what you see at long range when you fire a tracer rund atm is the biggest cylinder. The smaller ones get lost between screen pixels.

The reason why tracers appear too big at times is because they have to be visible without any zoom. That's why if you look at them via tank's sight they do appear a bit big.

EDIT: You might have a point trougth if you are using a resolution like 1600x1200 or even grater: then a smaller tracer would probably be still well visible at long distances. I use a lower resolution and I tested the model to be well visible at mine.

I wouldn't mind to scale down the thickness by - say - half if you want it, but I wouldn't count on it becomming a new default.

In response to the 3D model graphic from earlier pages, I think the tail of the tracer still needs to be shorter and taper off instead of a sphere/circle and cylinder..

If I was at home I would draw a more fanciful presentation but basically it should look like this: O=- rather than O===

Actually, they should look like this:

-===o

ArmA can not handle graphics like that properly, they tend to disappear on distance.

I'd like to see a burning tip and gradually darker tail, so they do not look like laser cannons. biggrin_o.gif

I think this mod has still to much of starwars.

1. Take a lighball

2. Plug in power

3. Start spinning it in circles pretty fast

4. What do you see?

5. Start moving it back and forward pretty fast

6. What do you see?

Right, Star Wars Laser Show but then only 1 colored whistle.gif

As has been explained a couple of times, we're looking at ~20" screens, if we make the tracers too small they disappear too quickly and the whole idea and feel of the tracers are completely gone.

We will continue tweaking them for sure, but between "Nothing" and "A bit too long" is really very little.

As my wife tells me, it's not the size, it's the behaviour... tounge2.gif

Just couldn't resist... wink_o.gif

But there is something to it, as long as it behaves as a tracer, jumping pretty wilde, glowing after impact and having that weird threatning bright glow the size becomes sort of second priority...to me a least.

/Abbe

But there is something to it, as long as it behaves as a tracer, jumping pretty wilde, glowing after impact and having that weird threatning bright glow the size becomes sort of second priority...to me a least.

Any suggestion is welcome and especially Model Examples would come very much in handy.

We tried many different methods.

[*] The Particlesource one looked the best and most natural, but ate up all CPU

[*] The particle method worked but simply looked like a ball

[*] Tracers with smaller becoming tail look weird when seeing from the side

[*] Shorter tracers become invisible too easily

The current ones are a middle way that surely has it's bad points but also very good ones.

"Jumping Pretty wild", the tracer follows EXACTLY the bullet's trajectory, if there is anything jumping pretty wild then it's the bullet path itself smile_o.gif

"Glowing after impact", there's a tracerlife setup which stops the tracerburning after 1.x seconds in most cases, plus the tracer gets deleted when it's speed becomes under a certain level. You testing the latest version btw?

We could however for v0.2 or other future versions think about different lods and possibly sizes depending on speed, but they wont make it into v0.1.

"weird threatning bright glow", all I've seen on pics, vids, heard and read, IS that they are actually bright glowing, plus there are different tracers out there with different effects. Any input is very welcome, and color examples or a somehow broader description as to how they should look like or what exactly is wrong and should be changed in ur eyes would come damn handy smile_o.gif

Given this shape, the colors should be like that:

-===o

bullet, no glow (o)

bright red, intense white glow (=)

dark red, medium orange glow (=)

darker red, slight red glow (=)

darkest red, no glow (-)

I'm not able to recreate that with image editing tools, but at the brightest spot, it should look like that magnesium flare

jumping pretty wild, I was refering to ricochets. Tracers and pieces thereof jump pretty wild.

Don't kill the tracer when speed is zero if possible. They, or pieces of them, can glow. Phosphor dosen't care if it was a clean kill or miss, somehow it can continue to burn anyhow... wink_o.gif

Well...the light. I belive it should be a bit more intense. Tracers are very bright, you can see the little b*stards quite far away, even in daylight. I think this thread has quite many video examples on live tracers where this can be seen. Maybe light the colors up so it never goes *dark*green or *dark*red and so on.

About colors, there are all type of colors and effects. Since it's a game it really doesn't matter...somehow I belive tracers of the same color (more depedable of ammotype, 7.62 being red for all sides for example) to all sides would make gaming interesting... tounge2.gif

/Abbe

v0.2 mate, v0.2 smile_o.gif

If none of you got any bugs to report or other kinds of real issues, I will release RC6 as is into v0.1 Final. (Also I am missing the opinion of you guys concerning the earlier made concern about the SP Configuration being in it's own modfolder; none of you has an opinion about that statement?)

Then in the meantime you guys can discuss what you would like for v0.2, but I would need some researched material, examples, textures, Material Settings, rather complete model examples if possible as I dont want anything to do with them myself; It's good to know a little of everything but it's not too bad to know a lot about 1 thing either, me I prefer scripting smile_o.gif

I think separate models for SP and MP is splendide. That way everyone (except the guys not being able to change the server settings) get what they want!

About the model examples and so on...I think this addon does a really good job improving ArmA already. Little tweaks will be possible in individual basis if I understand the MP -SP setup right so I'm pretty much there (tracers regarded...). If you have a personal interest in improving this even further (if possible) I think YouTube or even better, a shooting range, is a good idea.

Thanks for nice addon!

/Abbe

Tracer addon and Predator's sound mod seem to not like each other for some reason?