Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

6thSense.eu Presents: Tracers (Beta)

@ June 10 2007,15:22)]
Was the m249 to be inclusive of having tracers as well?

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m249.htm

Quote[/b] ]The preferred combat ammunition mix for the M249 is a four-ball (M855) and one-tracer (M856) mix. There are other variations of 5.56-mm ammunition available; however, the four-and-one mix allows the gunner to use the tracer-on-target (TOT) method of adjusting fire to achieve target kill.
Problem is that M249 shares its ammo with SmallArms.. I'll see what I can do.

Experimenting atm with settings on Rifle Classes, overwritable

again through the Mission SIX_TracersCfg.hpp file.

I would've done it on the Magazines but the whole problem is that I don't get the Magazine that was in the rifle when fired (Though I can find it's bullet-count through "_u ammo _weapon" etc..).

6thSense.eu Tracers v0.1RC5

SmallArms: Last 5 bullets are tracers

Rest is setup as before (Demo2: No Small Arms Tracers at all, etc), Hope this settles it smile_o.gif

SIX_TracersCfg.hpp Hierarchy changed, example as included in the package: http://pastebin.ca/556504

Changes RC5

[*] Exchanged trCounter for usage of the 'mod' function, thanks to Garlay!

[*] Added Posibility to specify per-weapon: Tracer Enable/Disable, Tracer-only for Last xx bullets of magazine

* Configuration system edited to accomodate for this option. Please check SIX_TracersCfg.hpp

[*] Order of Tracer Enable Check:

* SIX_TracersCfg - Ammo, SIX_tracerEnable

* Addon Config - Ammo, SIX_tracerEnable

[*] Order of Tracer Disable Check:

* SIX_TracersCfg - Ammo, SIX_tracerEnable

* Addon Config - Ammo, SIX_tracerEnable

* SIX_TracersCfg - Weapons, SIX_tracerEnable

* Addon Config - Weapons, SIX_tracerEnable

[*] Order of Tracer Per Last Bullets of Magazines check:

* SIX_TracersCfg - Weapons, SIX_tracerLast

* Addon Config - Weapons, SIX_tracerLast

[*] Removed SIX_TRACER_EXCL_WEAP array, you can now specify: SIX_tracerEnable = 0; for weapons inside SIX_TracersCfg.hpp

Tested Evolution:

When I joined Evolution at the start, so I was there while starting the mission, I had Tracers as they should be.

When I rejoined while the mission was still going on, into a different slot as last time, Tracers also worked as they should.

After restarting the game, and joining again the server with Evolution, still running, picked another spot, Tracers again worked as they should.

Server did NOT contain the SIX_Tracers Addon, nor was the Evolution mission altered

I tested this on evolution with 2 other clan members. We tried 3 servers - all running Evo 1.5a

first server (Tactical gamer) - fail. No tracers

second server (Fraghaus) - fail. No tracers

third server (radishville) - Success. tracers

What's the basis? I don't understand

They were all running the same version of the map. Maybe a server side setting?

I tested this on evolution with 2 other clan members. We tried 3 servers - all running Evo 1.5a

first server (Tactical gamer) - fail. No tracers

second server (Fraghaus) - fail. No tracers

third server (radishville) - Success. tracers

What's the basis? I don't understand

They were all running the same version of the map. Maybe a server side setting?

Just went onto FragHaus server to test myself, thanks to fine Chaps I was allowed to unload my Rifle, and as expected, last 5 bullets came with tracers:

fraghauskl7.th.jpg

(first time I join someone else's server on purpose ^^)

I am unable to grasp why it is not working for you, esp since it was working on 1 of them for u, but exactly not FragHaus smile_o.gif

If you join those servers by a launcher, are you sure the addon is loaded?

Not only me, but the other guys I was testing with had the same thing. On Radishville, it worked for everyone.

@sickboy

Hi. I'm using Sixtracers Beta3 yet..cause I like it.

But how can I disable that "<username>trigger 68(or another number)" which appears on the screen? Thanks

Beautiful work your tracers.

Beta3's Old dude, check RC5 ^^

in the init.sqf remove all lines past:

// Debug

@Evolution problem; still hunting, don't get it atm.

Bug (I assume):

The M16A2GL and M16A4_GL both fire tracers every single round.

I have not had a chance to test the M16A4_ACG_GL, M4GL, M4A1GL, or AK74GL.

Am I seeing things or are these tracers different?

Toomorow mate. Sorry but it's too late tooday.

I'll just download the current version and check all the models. It is possible that models from two different versions (alternative betas that we tested) got mixed up.

Which ones do you preffer BTW. Personally I'd stick to the first kind, I don't like the stair-like impression of the new experimentaly tracer.

@ June 10 2007,23:39)]
Am I seeing things or are these tracers different?

Toomorow mate. Sorry but it's too late tooday.

I'll just download the current version and check all the models. It is possible that models from two different versions (alternative betas that we tested) got mixed up.

Which ones do you preffer BTW. Personally I'd stick to the first kind, I don't like the stair-like impression of the new experimentaly tracer.

cool cool smile_o.gif I've just got all the beta's in the ARMA dir from Cent Tracer Beta 2 to Six Tracer RC5 LOL!

I'm sure they'll all seperate and launched correctly but I was just want to affirm the models got mixed in.

As for which one I'm liking, man, I really don't know now. The new "experimental" tracer looks really good. However, that nice appearance is positional. From the side, it's awesome. From behind, hmm, merely "ok." If I had to make a clear decision, I too, would stick with the first.

Great stuff fellas, thanks again!

These tracers look fantastic, thank you

I am new to editing but in a current mission I'm making I want all units on the map to use these tracers, is there a short guide or a readme how I can do that?

These tracers look fantastic, thank you

I am new to editing but in a current mission I'm making I want all units on the map to use these tracers, is there a short guide or a readme how I can do that?

I've only toyed with this a little (very nice!wink_o.gif but alls you got to do is put the " @six_tracer' folder in your Arma directory than add that to your target line or mod launcher and you should be good to go.

oh okay so they no longer just work with the demo missions? they work on all missions?

oh okay so they no longer just work with the demo missions? they work on all missions?

Roger smile_o.gif

so does this work for the A4 and any new and updated BIS weapons? since the last patch?

so does this work for the A4 and any new and updated BIS weapons? since the last patch?

From what I can tell, it works correctly with all rifles that don't have attached grenade launchers (including the M16A4).  But, on rifles with attached grenade launchers, every single round is fired as a tracer.  I don't know if this is a bug or if it's intentional.

Argh, double post. I'm guessing this is due to the high volume of traffic related to the v1.08 patch release!

I prefer this one.

I'll second that.

Also, maybe having a glowing bit at the tip would enhance the look a bit. Might make it look better from behind too.

I dislike having the last 5 rounds in a rifle as tracers, for one it tells the enemy when you're out of ammo. It's also not that useful. I think either a tracer every 3 or 5 rounds, or none at all. I would prefer not to have every enemy on the battlefield know when I'm out of ammo crazy_o.gif

While real soldiers in Iraq may have the last 5 rounds in their mags as tracers, you need to consider that the enemy and type of combat differs in several ways.

Anyway, good job on the addon. Makes using the cannon on the A10 so much better pistols.gif

Thanks for the Bug report, squashed the f**ker that put 1 tracer at each shot fired from GL etc weapons smile_o.gif

Must check ammo-count through muzzle and not through weapon as otherwise it returns 0 in GL enabled rifles ^^

Reuploaded the RC5 Package, hopefully going out of RC at next Release....

About the Last 5, or Per 5 etc Settings... I checked America's Army forum and the answers (From ArmyBoys) were the same: Per 5 and sometimes last 3 aswell...

Still, from a 3 page discussion in this forum the end result was "5 Last Bullets = Tracers". Please finish the discussion before the end of this week, so I will incorporate the setting in the final v0.1.

Thank you! thumbs-up.gif

About Tracer models, they will be sorted before the Final release.

"Particle 'Ball'" at the tip of the Tracer, might be a feature for v0.2. I guess the deal can be the same; you guys discuss, I keep myself busy with the work yay.gif

"Please finish the discussion before the end of this week, so I will incorporate the setting in the final v0.1."

Well, it depends, if you want realism then take all tracers away exept for machineguns and heavier weapons.

If we are to enjoy the enhanced tracers a bit more then keep them as every 5:th bullet, not very realistic but looks adorable in game...  wink_o.gif

I don't know if this is totaly out of line but in certain conditions the officer in charge might have tracers to mark tagets with, tracers will in certain cases be used if armoured support is aviable to mark targets to them but in general tracers are not very much used. It's just too dangerous...

/Abbe

@ Sickboy

Im not getting any tracers when using either the M1A1 commanders MG or the T72 commanders MG. I've only just installed the new patch.

@ Sickboy

Im not getting any tracers when using either the M1A1 commanders MG or the T72 commanders MG. I've only just installed the new patch.

Heya, didn't squashed it but created a workaround.

The problem happens because the ammo command returns 0 when trying to check the ammo-in-magazine status of commander turret and alike.

Reuploaded the RC5 Package once more biggrin_o.gif

@Tracer Realism etc:

I would say as we always do "A good mix between Realism and Gameplay" is usually the perfect mix smile_o.gif

@Tracer Realism etc:

I would say as we always do "A good mix between Realism and Gameplay" is usually the perfect mix smile_o.gif

Well, what about a sort of compromise between the two? Could you make it so that for rifles, a magazine contains a random number of tracers such that one occurs between every 5th and 10th round? In other words:

One magazine would contain four rounds between every tracer.

Another magazine would contain five rounds between every tracer.

Another magazine would contain six rounds between every tracer.

Another magazine would contain seven rounds between every tracer.

Another magazine would contain eight rounds between every tracer.

Another magazine would contain nine rounds between every tracer.

Or perhaps some other, similar combination.

This could represent the different ways folks load tracers in real life, but would still give adequate tracer effects to "make it pretty" (cringes). This would be the "vanilla" version of the mod, and then perhaps those of us who want more realism could tweak it how we want it anyway. wink_o.gif

EDIT: Another possibility -- have a default setting for the mod (one tracer every five rounds, or something), but also have a variable that could be set by the mod user -- and perhaps also by mission creators, in case they wanted to override and force a certain tracer setting -- where tracers would appear every x rounds for rifles, and also perhaps a variable where tracers would appear for the last x rounds in the mag. After all, making the mod flexible will make it appeal to more people, and you've probably coded it each of these ways by now anyway.