Sign in to follow this  
mcpxxl

@ADDONS "General"

I often see that people cannot install some addons correctly !

Here and now...  once more a "LAW"

Dear MODDERS and INSTALLERS !

The BIS addons folder is a FORBIDDEN PLACE".

There is no need to put any additional pbo into the original addons Folder !

As you can see there are a lot of @addons on the "market" ....

So please be so kind and use your mods like this ones and it will help a lot.

In these @addons folder you can put your filestructure like in the whole BIS Root folder

as sample:

@mapfact

addons

map_misc.pbo

You can do a lot more of this things but i do not want you make you confused.

And please do not say i do that since years and have no probs because it maybe ... and others do install their Arma again and again from scratch because they do not know what they have done with overwriting needed files.

sincerly

MCPXXL

Amen.

Sometimes it takes hours before an official MP (CTI) match to clear someones addon mess. If you put addons there it may confict with others and there is no quick way to disable them.

mod folders for the masses!

So please dont pu in the readme of addons that the pbo should go in the Arma/Addons folder

Can we create a global Addons folder and put the different @Addons inside it ?

Cuz it s a bit annoying to mess the numerous @Addons folders with Dta, Missions, Key and so.

I mean /Arma/Addons/@AddonX_Y_Z/addons.

What would be the syntax in the shortcut ?

Can we create a global Addons folder and put the different @Addons inside it ?

Cuz it s a bit annoying to mess the numerous @Addons folders with Dta, Missions, Key and so.

I mean /Arma/Addons/@AddonX_Y_Z/addons.

What would be the syntax in the shortcut ?

you can yes. but avoid conccurency.

Wow, MCPXXL is onto something there.

I think I'm just gonna create the folder \ArmA\@Addons\Addons and put all unofficial addons I use in there... that should keep things tidy.

And then the things like "kegs Arma launcher" getting much more sense because simply a click and you start with different mods for different servers  smile_o.gif

you define once all your @Addons like @mapfact;@faf_Sounds

and so on and then can enable disable it by a click.

choose your servers and the corrosponding @addons

@MadDogX Just kidding...

Use everytime a new Folder ! or mix but ONLY if you 100% know that there are no conflicts !

My Arma root looks like this:

@MAPFACT

@FAD_SOUNDS

@GL2

@ISLANDS

@ACE_EVERON (As long as we test things on it... it runs in its own folder)

@voice_quit

@test (all small pbo that do not make trouble with outhers)

What is the impact on the game, or is there nothing? smile_o.gif

And then the things like "kegs Arma launcher" getting much more sense because simply a click and you start with different mods for different servers smile_o.gif

you define once all your @Addons like @mapfact;@faf_Sounds

and so on and then can enable disable it by a click.

choose your servers and the corrosponding @addons

thats how i do it smile_o.gif

http://www.kegetys.net/arma/

easily the best way to do it thumbs-up.gif

@MadDogX Just kidding...

Use everytime a new Folder ! or mix but ONLY if you 100% know that there are no conflicts !

If I use a new folder for every addon, my ArmA shortcut is gonna be hellishly big.

I haven't had any problems with addons so far, so I think I'll just stick with a single 3rd party addon folder.

Of course things like FDF_Sounds still remain in their own mod folder but that's a different story.

@Raptor

Read as many posts as you wish, about released addons and you will see what i mean ;-)

Simply in map_misc threat are  many many of errors commited because wrong or mixed addons in the root one.

As Sample put Vilas and some other addons like map_misc right into your addon folder.

@MAD

For me it is LAW and I have never problems with PATCHING the game or searching hours whay something is going strange because i simply disable the MODS and find so errors in fighting mods very fast.

If you go the other way your search beginns ...

How many @Addons you make is on your own, but please do minimum one and keep the BIS addon folder clear.

And more ADDON creators PLEASE do not say put this in your Root Addons folder.(Simply ask for help to do it in an @addons folder) I think there are many people who will help.

Think about the next patch

wink_o.gif

Now only to bump this thread every now and then or get it stickied or so.

Nice to post about the issue MCPXXL!

Maybe we should link to this thread when there's an addon release without modfolders, saves explaining it per individual case smile_o.gif

@MadDogX; So don't screw around with shortcuts but use GoArmA, ArmALauncher or any other kind of ArmA Launcher smile_o.gif

@Raptor

Ah, ok thanks. smile_o.gif

Btw. I create such folders since the ofpc time and since clauswitz has written his great Mod/addons-folder guide. Maybe someone should pick up his old guide and update it for ArmA. smile_o.gif

definately deserves a big bump. i just did a fresh install of arma, applied the patch and started downloading everything in sight. i'm very glad that i saw this as i would have simply installed everything into the one default add-on folder. i created '@3rdPartyAdd-ons' folder to keep things clean.

Kegetys Arma Launcher ftw!

Start Arma with as many or as little mods as you want enabled!

No need to add or edit your target line!

*keep your Arma directory addons clean*

I think that BIS need implement some official addons installer/control system into game. By that system evry arma players could dwl a missing addons/mods direct from some big database. This would make this so much easier to so many ppl who have not so much time to take all infos up.

I think that BIS need implement some official addons installer/control system into game. By that system evry arma players could dwl a missing addons/mods direct from some big database. This would make this so much easier to so many ppl who have not so much time to take all infos up.

Altough it would be a nice addition, I rather have BIS fix our bugs.

The tool you mention could prolly be done like in OFP with auto addon servers, that concept just needs to be modernized and off we go... Simply need the ppl with skills and dedication to set things up.