Sign in to follow this  
Sosna

Arma Feels Unresponsive

The biggest problem I see with Arma (aside from bugs) is the current infantry behavior.

Firstly, with movement it's irritating that the soldier takes either a full step, or barely moves. For example in a situation where I would be peeking around an edge, I have to tap the strafe button very lightly for the soldier to move (which he does very slowly). If pressed too hard or too rapidly the soldier steps out into the open, often resulting in death.

It's not really realistic since in reality we have far greater control over our bodies and we can step and lean with perfect precision. I think OFP had it right, though the implementation may have not been very realistic, the result was.

I realize Track IR might solve some of these issues, but not all of us have the money for one after dropping $1000 on a new comp for arma  whistle.gif

Second, aiming is very troublesome. This bug report describes it perfectly:

Quote[/b] ]Aiming with a mouse is a little sluggish and very inaccurate. Changing sensitivity only affects how much you have to push your mouse to move it those few pixels at a time. A pixel perfect interface (maybe hardware cursor) would be really better, it's frustrating to use a grid based aim when the crosshair jumps either left or right of the target. Also the mouse movement comes a little bit late, maybe only a split second but great enough to impair one's targeting.

In for example the target range training mission I feel like I'm relying on luck that the ironsights will "sit" on the furthest target. More often they will settle at the edges. Compared to ofp there is a total loss of aiming precision.

Last issue is the weapon recoil, I don't know how realistic it is but compared to OFP it makes shooting much more difficult. OFP just simulated muzzle rise, while arma seems to present a whole circular motion of recoil. It makes "double tapping" useless past very close ranges, at least with some weapons. Also, with certain weapons repeated shots with no aiming modification results in the muzzle gradually lowering, which is strange IMO.

Infantry combat really has potential with new features like leaning and rolling, but at the moment it's too unresponsive to be as enjoyable as OFP.

When you hold shift + move command walk slowly this helps keep your soldier from running out into the open. Arma has excellent controls and I don't complain about them.

well... i've never really had either of those problems....I didn't like ArmA's default controls all that much, but they're highly customizable and after 5 mins of tweaking, its great. As for the aiming, i kinda understand what you're talking about with the whole sitting thing... try lowering your sensitivity maybe?it might also be that prerender 3 frames issue...As for close quarters Battles....just put your weapon in a fire rate other than semi if the downwards recoil annoys you. I think BIS was trying to simulate some sort of over compensation for the recoil during semi automatic fire...

I totaly agree, the animation are strange, and I prefer the free movement of an Half-Life or a Vegas...

The soldier move like recycle bin, not realistic at all...

Sometime if you shoot a RPG using is Lancher, i will need 3 sec to see him diying because of the needed animation ending !

yeah, the finishing animations are really annoying!

and the movements are really not feeling right.

Most annoying thing with the animations is the strange stop if you sprint on flat ground and then came to a slope and the movements stop and after that stop of your movements, your able to walk again.

There should be a smooth transfer between the two movement kinds and not a ruff interruption.

Another strange thing is the thing with the reloading.

Its not a problem that you cant move during reload. (imo it would be better if you can still walk during reload but who cares. :P )

But the strange thing is that your view is returning to the same position you had when you pressed the reload button.

I think thats feeling totally wrong, it would be way better if you can still turn around during reload and got not a fixed frozen body.

About aiming, imo you just need to get used to it, then its ok.

But the movement of the foot soldiers needs to be overworked for sure. At the moment it feels more like controlling a robot. :P

I have a similar issue.

Especially trying to aim zoomed in sights left or right as i get no movement for a second which is uncomfortable when someone is shooting at you.

If anyone remembers Ghost Recon, it became a great coop-mission game type which lasted for years and years. With IGOR and server tools, modders and mission scripters kept the game alive. We were born through that engine and put on several Stealth Recon Tournaments through the years. Now we have Armed Assault. Since we have put it up on our server, and the direction things are headed now, Armed Assault is what we have all been waiting for. It does have a long learning curve. But with 40-50 hours that I racked up playing over the weekend, something that I haven't done since the birth of GR. Armed Assault is amazing. And with the lot of us still in the learning phase, this game opens up the door for even more tactical movement applications.An entire new simulation that rocks, and with more patches to come. So whatever their doing over at B.I., keep up the great work.

I totaly agree, the animation are strange, and I prefer the free movement of an Half-Life or a Vegas...

The soldier move like recycle bin, not realistic at all...

Sometime if you shoot a RPG using is Lancher, i will need 3 sec to see him diying because of the needed animation ending !

LOL yes, it is much more realistic to glide around is if on an airhockey table. Let's not confuse your preference with realism.

The issue your speak of was remedied 2 betas ago.

What I find to make to mouse cursor lag is too high graphics settings. If I set everything to medium, I cant play, Im running on low or very low on everything, everything seems more fluid.

Second, aiming is very troublesome. This bug report describes it perfectly:
Quote[/b] ]Aiming with a mouse is a little sluggish and very inaccurate. .

Do a search for 'render frames ahead' or 'flip queue size'

I hope you die.

Do a search for 'render frames ahead' or 'flip queue size'

for your information when we search for

flip AND queue AND size on all ARMA forums it shows only YOUR POSTS ofpforum (!wink_o.gif.

while i <1000

You write everywhere to do a seach for 'flip queue size' but the only responses are your messages requesting a search to...

wend

useless ?

Quote[/b] ]I hope you die.

Umm can't seem to to fathom this one huh.gif

The controls are a little sluggish it's true but nothing that practice can't conquer partially, my one is the AT launcher around the corner which is sometimes a bit jumpy and takes the aim away, but i can live with it, the flopping to the ground is a little slow sometimes if your guy hasn't got his best foot forward yet but again it hasn't killed me yet, (i'm sure it will but hasn't at the moment)

Quote[/b] ]Half-Life

I looove that game but gets a little lonely in single player (still kick ass though and episode 2 is out soon yey)

The issue your speak of was remedied 2 betas ago.

Maybe you're answering something else - are you saying that when death occurs animation no longer needs to finish or is shorter or so?

Not quite understanding the last few posts huh.gif I'll just get back on topic.

I think the controls are just great and seriously the way the screen is not glued to the gun is just great. Now feels awkward to play something like CS. My only gripe really would be that sometimes it take WAY too long to go prone whilst moving and that can either mean death or a funny twirling display for your comrades whilst trying to get in the right spot. Also when crouch moving you want to get up into walking stance, there is a brief moment where you sprint which could probably be fixed without too much hassle so why not. That one isn't much a bother but would be nice.

ofpforum, what on earth prompted you to write "I hope you die."? That's a intolerable comment; +1WL. You should know better.

ofpforum, what on earth prompted you to write "I hope you die."? That's a intolerable comment; +1WL. You should know better.

It seems Armed Assault is serious business for ofpforum.

Or then his just fed up (this isn't the first movement and animation thread... More like 100)... Like me whistle.gif

I mean don't people now days have patency to learn themselves or wait, atleast it seems so... And sometimes i hope that humanpopulation would finally die. Or atleast some parts of it.

nah, ppl now adays only thinks that their ideas is the one and only truth

Just sticking to my words, last time i wrote it i said that i would post it in a less nice way next time, it wasnt serious ofcourse(I wouldt give advice to people who should be dead anyway.. tounge2.gif )

But because you people seem kinda blind (or just cant assume that my last few posts dont have the explanation so you have to look at earlier posts): Linky

And hey, just searching for that, how many topics does that bring up? Thats right, way too many covering the exact same subject..

If u have come from a fast pace FPS game like battlefield, the controls will seem sluggish, when i first played arma, i experianced the same as you, this could be due to the "float zone", try turning it to zero for a more battlefieldy type of gameplay.

unless BI change the anime system, there is no way to get rip of those stop motion anime which seems to creat a little clucky feeling

Imo the controls are a Big improvement over OFP and I love them. But I have to agree that some parts of the infantry controls are odd or unfinished and could use improvements.

It's probably not any one single factor that people are annoyed with but rather a combination of many. So below is a list of the ones I have spotted. (infantry only) These notes are all based on 1.07b (5157?).

[*]Differences between keybinds "Fast Forward" and "Evasive Forward" shows a lot of the problems:

- "Fast Forward" doesn't have a smooth transition to start and stop like "Evasive Forward" does. Especially shows when using Fast Forward from a crouch stance; the character will be in an instant sprint, where using Evasive Forward will have a nice smooth and slightly slower more real transition.

- "Fast Forward" requires the animation to end before you come to a full stop. This shows especially if you're trying to go prone from a sprint and sometimes he has to take 1-3 more steps often ending you up way off where you wanted.

- Only Evasive Forward will start a sprint from prone.

- Only Fast Forward will return you to crouch.

- Assigning "Evasive Forward" to a single tap key requires you hold jog at the same time. Non-control key combinations just to sprint is not really a good solution especially considering keyboards only accept very few key presses at the same time.

- When sprinting up a hill so steep it will slow you to a jog or walk, Fast Forward will return you to sprint when it's flat enough again, Evasive Forward will not. This is the main reason I've bound both Evasive 2xW and Fast Ctrl+E as it makes a huge impact as the slow happens a LOT and repressing 2xW all the time is a pain and slows you down.

- The smooth transition to sprint using Evasive Forward is missing if you have Walk Enabled (2x Shift).

[*]You can't return to jog from sprint without stopping by either pressing backwards or outright releasing key.

I propose this solution:

Press Backward Key while sprinting should transition you to a jog without stopping you.

A sub suggestion in addition: pressing Backward Key while Jogging should make you sprint.

It is possible this solution will not work as well as I'd like to think, due to the way keyboards scan keys.

Other solution would be perhaps a minimum ~2 steps before another action can occure when sprinting giving you time to press your jog key.

[*]Stance mode issues:

- If you're jogging while originally in crouch mode and hit prone the character will take several more steps than if in standing mode. Makes a large difference and probably annoying many.

- Hitting Stand while crouching in crouched mode (using shift or or 2xShift Walk Toggle), will jolt you forward a bit like as to start a sprint. It makes little sense because you can't use it to continue sprinting. Arguably it can be used as a feature.

- Hitting Stand while jogging in crouched mode will jerk you back in crouched mode before getting back up.

- Hitting stand while jog-strafing in crouch-mode forces a very long transition returning it to a standard crouch first when really you're standing.

- Hitting a stance while already being in the same stance stops you briefly. Bit unnecessary?

[*]Lean/Roll:

- When Leaning you can't start sprinting, it'll make an odd jump and back to lean.

- If you go prone while Leaning and return to crouch or standing mode you're still leaning - unnecessary?

- When Rolling your image does not roll with it (I'm just listing things, don't kill me!wink_o.gif.

[*]Moving over obstacles is a hack and looks pretty bad at times. It won't be easy to make it better I know.

[*]You can turn freely during hitting prone. Russian flexer girl might say yes. For anyone else, gravity says no.

[*]The dreaded Must-Finish-Animation-First issues have been debated many times, but let's just list them for good measure:

- Death Animation doesn't occur until previous animation has finished, especially bad when switching weapon or reloading.

- Can't move while reloading - at least you should be able to walk while reloading, just force me into a walk if I start reloading and everyone except crazy people would be happier.

- Binoculars GRRRR!

- and probably many more.

and I guess I shouldn't do this but...

[*]When out of stamina you sprint faster when Strafing at the same time.

While writing this I ran from Corazol to Somato...

I'll add to the list if I or anyone thinks of more - that I agree with wink_o.gif

Discuss.

Good list, wamingo. All of that needs to be resolved, especially the minor issues that shouldn't be problems.

I have two to add:

When you use evasive forward and hold left or right to run diagonally, you do not dive to prone. The soldier stops and casually drops down.

I don't know how difficult this would be to implement, but why are we not able to fluidly go to crouch while walking (or vice versa) as in Rainbow 6 Ravenshield? Same with switching weapons and, as wamingo said, reloading.