Sign in to follow this  
INNOCENT&CLUELESS

Multi Core CPU and GPU

In German c`t magazine 05/2007 they talk about

- AMD integrates multi-Core CPU & GPU 2008/2009

- AMD "Larrybee" GPU with 16 cores

- Intel "Tera-Scale" Research with 80 core CPUs

Even if we will not see everything become true in time, one thing is for sure:

It will be very hard to get any single core CPU or GPU when Game2 will hit the market.

Will BI design develop their game 2 in a way to fully utilize multi core environments?

Is BI able to develop the necessary skills with the current staff?

If not, they better recruit / get the knowledge today to be able to fulfil the promise that ArmA is meant to be a cookie short before Game2.

Thank you for your kind advice. crazy_o.gif Perhaps it is a time to start running your own development company and show us how things are to be done "properly"? tounge2.gif

Ok, I rephrase it, seemed that you got it in a way that I implied that you do not "properly" develop this:

A friend and colleague developing SW for banking systems told me that coding for single core and multi core is so different, that you need to start from the scratch. He also mentioned that there are many devs out there claiming that they are able to utilize multi-core but only a few of them can really write code that really benefits from multi-core in a very efficient way.

I did not understood all his explanations, but he suggested that the most critical part is to cut and distribute all workload in an intelligent way so that waiting time is avoided means that you have to wait for the result of one core to continue with the overall processing.

Self-education usually does not bring a dev to that level, he told me that you have to do it several time wrong to learn your lessons. smile_o.gif

Or better say it this way: I hope Game2 will NOT be your first attempt where you learn all your lessons biggrin_o.gif

Background: Currently everyone that buys a new comp also buys a C2D or even a QuadCore. Would be a pitty if this wouldn`t be utilized. Similar thing will happen for GPUs soon.

Since ArmA came at least 4 years after OFP and is supposed to be just a goody to shorten our waiting time until Game2. I expect Game2 latest 2009 in my hands.

I personally would prefer that you continue ArmA to make it more mature, and introducing new features or technologies in smaller chunks if possible up to the Game2 feature content. Question is then how you could generate cash for you with this approach.

The basic questions are:

Game 2 in 2009 or later?

Do you intend to utilize CPU & GPU multicore?

Do you have the knowledge AND the men power in house to trouble shoot ArmA + develop Game2 + support VBS2?

Because the usual explanation why ArmA was ... not really meeting the expectations was that your company is small.

So it would be nice and fair if you let us know if you delay Game 2 or you shorten the debugging phase of ArmA or you feel capable to do it at the same time (which I would not believe).

Maybe you ask the community what they want, stable ArmA and late Game2 or ArmA with bugs and an early "almost bug free" Game2.

Is BI able to develop the necessary skills with the current staff?

rofl.gif

Thanks, I had a good laugh biggrin_o.gif that's exactly what I needed now.

All we outsiders can do is trust BIS. Alternatively we could start our own game development studio and do a better job. I don't see that happening any time soon for myself so I just rely on these professionals.

It is 'kind of' hard to see inside BIS without being a member of them, so speculation about what they are able to do and what they have planned to do is very much pointless. We'll see in the future how they managed to do. I wish them strength to withstand all this.

In my opinion there is no reason to think that BIS wouldn't do their best and develop their skills to the best possible level - INNOCENT&CLUELESS makes it sound like BIS is not doing that... It is obvious for everyone by now that multi-threading is a must in future games, it doesn't need to be pointed out for BIS.

Do you have the knowledge AND the men power in house to trouble shoot ArmA + develop Game2 + support VBS2 because the usual explanation why ArmA was ... not really meeting the expectations was that your company is small.

I think this question you made is a pretty dumb - what kind of answer are you expecting? You will not get the answer that you have implied to be true. I mean, if you have a company of any kind, and a customer asks you "Do you have the skills? Are you able to do your own job?" what kind of answer can you give then, to a paying customer?

Maybe you ask the community what they want, stable ArmA and late Game2 or ArmA with bugs and an early "almost bug free" Game2.

The community wants stable, bug-free ArmA and stable, bug-free Game2. No further research necessary.

I'll put a smile_o.gif here so you'll get my mood. Thanks again for delighting my day.

Baddo my dear!

The thing is that trust is gone with ArmA.

I do not expect an answer like "No, we are stupid", rather a more or less honest statement how BI is scheduling the resources and how the priority is.

I guess BI unfortunately lost a lot of the reputation they got with OFP due to ArmA.

The same again with Game2 would be the death for BI I am afraid. Both leaving the impression that the community can expect Game2 (including multi-core support) soon and on the other hand bringing "we are a small company" as excuse for everything that went wrong with ArmA does not fit together.

If BI would try to keep the expectations low or hmmmm or more honest or....more realistic, such a thing that happens currently with ArmA could be avoided.

Quote[/b] ]spook: BIS have several teams witch working on our projects. Prague studio working on ArmA (expansion), BIS´s HQ in Stribrna Lhota working on GAME2 and BIA working on VBS(1/2) simulation.

GAME2 is new project witch need time, GAME2 will be dynamic with new improvements - We must waiting.

Play ArmA and wait for expansion. 2008 is unreal date for GAME2, but I would like some new screens, tech alpha videos or some new informations too wink_o.gif

http://www.bistudio.com/games/of2.html

Expected release.......2008 rofl.gif

http://www.bistudio.com/presspages/pcpressrelease.html

Q42006...it became true for ArmA

I guess that is from the time before they decided to make ArmA as a cookie since Game2 might take longer...

So maybe BI should ask someone to go over their page content and edit it a little bit.

When you say "leaving the impression" you are talking about what you imagine to be true. As such it is not factual information.

We would need a news update about Game2. I've expressed the wish of getting an update about it in another thread recently. But that doesn't have to go much into the details how BIS works, just an update of their estimate when it will be released, what features can be expected and what it looks like visually now would be sufficient for me. No need to see project management documents.

For me Game2 need not be released soon. I am not even nearly finished with ArmA yet.

In reply to the disappointment with ArmA. I think a game should have absolutely no bugs and should require no patching at all. Also it would be great if ArmA would perform well on every new hardware combination you can assemble. How possible that is to achieve in practice is another thing. Console game development doesn't look like a bad idea at all when looking at all the troubleshooting threads here.

Has BIS given the explanation of being a small company by themselfs? I have seen that explanation used by community members several times.

Wow...

just... wow....

Do you even realise how much of a tool you come across as on these boards?

All you ever do is bash BI day in day out. "Their code isnt good enough", "Their devs are stupid", "the game is a let down", "this should be better", "I expect feature x/y/z", "BI needs to..."

Seriously... Get a life? You paid what, $30 for ArmA? Yet you're expecting the same level of support and documentation as you'd get with a multi-thousand dollar PROFESSIONAL solution. (Why oh why does this sound familar...) and all you do is bitch about it?

If ArmA is THAT dissapointing, and BI is THAT "stupid" why dont you take the game back for a refund and move on with life? Get a new game, get a new hobby, because this one is clearly not the right one for you...

Jesus... crazy_o.gif

IF it were the case that BIS got all the revenue, I suppose your $30 may have paid for annoying part of an hour of Suma's time when he could have been programming instead. Considering the mountains of vitriolic complaining you've abused these forums with, I suppose you've wasted a lot more of BIS's time than that, so if anything you OWE BIS a whole lot more cash to compensate the developers for productivity time lost.

The thing is that trust is gone with ArmA.

I guess BI unfortunately lost a lot of the reputation they got with OFP due to ArmA.

Honestly, get the F off these boards. All you do is troll, and frankly I'm sick of your shit. You're probably one of the few people who feel this way about BIS. What has all your bitching accomplished other than ruining the atmosphere of the community?

To end this off, I'll leave you with a quote from Plato: A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something.

Goodbye, fool. mad_o.gif

Abs

It amazes me how you always have to wrap up simple questions in sheets of filthy paper I&C

It amazes me how you always have to wrap up simple questions in sheets of filthy paper I&C

This topic should indeed be a vote

I&C Banned From these Boards:

Yes:

No:

a nice poll would be nice. yay.gif

lol @ sumas post.

What about a poll Matt Rochelle Banned From these Boards ? >_<

------------------------------------

Don't know the excitement about his first post, he only wants to draw BIs attention on the new multi core structure.

Maybe you should start, not only to think in these black/white pattern.

Don't know the excitement about his first post, he only wants to draw BIs attention on the new multi core structure.

Maybe you should start, not only to think in these black/white pattern.

If this would be I&C's only post then I would agree, but there's a whole bunch like it and even worse, I don't see anything wrong with pointing that out and above all; hopefully getting away from this way of communicating.

lol suma... dont fed up we need your patch and your game 2.......

Wow...

just... wow....

Do you even realise how much of a tool you come across as on these boards?

All you ever do is bash BI day in day out. "Their code isnt good enough", "Their devs are stupid", "the game is a let down", "this should be better", "I expect feature x/y/z", "BI needs to..."

Seriously... Get a life? You paid what, $30 for ArmA? Yet you're expecting the same level of support and documentation as you'd get with a multi-thousand dollar PROFESSIONAL solution. (Why oh why does this sound familar...) and all you do is bitch about it?

If ArmA is THAT dissapointing, and BI is THAT "stupid" why dont you take the game back for a refund and move on with life? Get a new game, get a new hobby, because this one is clearly not the right one for you...

Jesus... crazy_o.gif

Quoted for truth. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm closing here before it turns into another flame war (more then it already is). smile_o.gif