Sign in to follow this  
Sneeze

Beautiful Feeling

Hello,

I love it when a game "scares" me, it doesnt happen often but games like DooM, SH3, and System Shock 2 had those moments.

Arma does too.

Many times i've physically "jumped" when I've been shot or run around a corner to encounter an enemy AFV.

Classic stuff.

rgds

LoK

Amen to the original post, thats why i thought we all played the game biggrin_o.gif , not quite the adrenaline of going out on a mission in RL but that why it's called simulation.

I find getting as stoned as possible helps, you play like shit but it's great fun lol nener.gif

Quote[/b] ]Many times i've physically "jumped" when I've been shot or run around a corner to encounter an enemy AFV.

Yes Orlok this is a huge highlight that fails to lose it's appeal pistols.gifpistols.gif

Best regards

Bootleg pistols.gif

In the good old days of OFP...

while in a squad assigned a mission, it is your obligation, your job to do the thing. The tactics and though that run through your mind while you have to perfectly adapt to your surrounding, making the right decisions, inflicting as much damage as possible while still be mobile and on the run.

Acting in a team.... counting on your teammates, knowing they count on you... or using the last bit of resource you have to achieve your goal. Taking most dangeround actions while fearing for your life. Oh yes... I know that feeling only too well icon_rolleyes.gif

Edit: I forgot to mention that my hands are always sweaty at a C&H MP game.... puuh what a feeling that is to try to track the enemies thoughts and cross his way or expect him and whatnot.

I usualy play OFP (ArmA doesnt run) with speakers on as loud as possible without annoying people next door/in the house.

I jump out my skin when a gunshot zips past! Or when I hear a squeak of treads and a BMP comes slowly round the corner!

Hi all

@Blazin update your computer but leave Vista and 8800s alone, still early adopter crud though in about 5 months they will be the bees knees. Assuming you have a decent CPU PSU and MOBO just upgrading graphic card wont cost too much and ArmA is way better than OFP. No more getting stuck in walls. AI flanks and suppresses. Graphics are better than any game yet released. View distance is amazing. Much better flight model. Multiple gunner positions in vehicles. Programmable and upgradeable AI. The list is endless.

Kind Regards walker

I don't even wanna SHIFF Vista, and i think an 8800 is a tad expensive tounge2.gif

I'm getting more RAM (Will have 1GB) and a 7950GT... Will that do? wow_o.gif

Eveything else is fine, when I run that program off the web that tell you what games your PC can play, everything but RAM reaches "RECOMMENDED" and my gfx card doesn't even reach "REQUIRED" rofl.gif

That stress/anxiety feeling is what hooked me on OFP way back in 2001. Still don't get that same feeling in Arma but it gets better all the time. Once we have a few more patches and some high end mods like FDF, CoC Arty, etc... then it should be even better than OFP. I am looking forward to alternate time period mods as well like WW2, Vietnam, etc... as I had a blast playing those with OFP.

Quote[/b] ]Yep, that's called adrenaline.. welcome to the club.

That's one of the funniest things I've ever read on these forums for some reason.

But yeah, I get that feeling, it's normal. I'd say it's best on multiplayer when you're running around with an actual squad of real people, not the balloon-headed AI teammates. When you lose someone on MP, it's not as easy to replace them.. makes the suspense and importance of staying alive a little more "nervewracking" than solo play.

Hi all

I still remember my first encounter with a BMP in the OFP demo me hiding in bush while the BMP is acting like a demented Dalek playing squash all the bushes running round and round trying to find me. Frozen solid scared to even move my head. Shivers.

AI in ArmA depsite all the whiners is still the most frighteningly AI in any game. Its tendency to supress and flank now makes it doubly so.

And after the fear there is still that WOW! I never get such a grin at loosing to AI as I do in ArmA.

Kind Regards walker

Spot on!

@Daniel: Yup! That "Oh Shit" moment is BISs' trademark. Never felt such an awesome dread -that made me smile- in any other game.

I get my U.S. version tomorrow. Can`t wait to boot it up. Totally love the U.S. demo release.

best moment for me is that rush on getting into intense firefight. The first hour of gaming can be relaxed, every1 trying to do they're stuff and so on, and suddenly, u insert via chopper into hot LZ and all hell brokes loose. AR's mourning, grenades going off, RPG's flying inches off ur head... just amazing and makes all the effort worth while...

best moment for me is that rush on getting into intense firefight. The first hour of gaming can be relaxed, every1 trying to do they're stuff and so on, and suddenly, u insert via chopper into hot LZ and all hell brokes loose. AR's mourning, grenades going off, RPG's flying inches off ur head... just amazing and makes all the effort worth while...

not to say what happen when shits hits the fans tounge2.gif

"oh fuck, i am alone"

I designed a mission for OFP with much help from Kiegets(Sp?). It was an escape and evasion. Your squad started with a random insertion and very limited ammo. You had to make it to the evac and call for extraction. I added a script that made the AI in the immediate area aware of any friendly player above a certain altitude or in the open for too long. This simulated someone seeing the friendly player and kept the AI moving after the players.

As a result the AI became relentless and the mission turned into cat and mouse. A mission I suspected would take about an hour on foot took my buddy and I over 4 hours to complete. wow_o.gif Because we only had pistols to start we were hiding in the woods and crawling for ages. The mission started at 2am. It was now 4 AM and we were already 2 hours into the mission. We were surrounded and it looked like the end was near. We tried not to fire and draw any attention to us but the enemy was just too close. We were going to have to fight our way out and soon.

Because of another script (random shot script) the AI would pop of shots where they last knew you were. This kept bullets firing and the night more interesting. Somehow, an AI enemy shot another AI enemy and all hell broke loose in the dark woods.

They were firing EVERYWHERE and I was thinking.... This IS NOT the mission I made. What is going on?... It was chaos! I was about to call it quits thinking the script had buggered the whole mission when my buddy said "This is intense! Are those real players or AI? We gotta get out'a here!" In the darkness it really seemed like the AI was real players who had incorrectly identified each other as the enemy and were now shooting at one another.

Using the unexpected chaos as a distraction we were able to make our way out of the woods and on to our LZ... 2 hours later... and miles from the last enemy contact, we call for extraction. The Blackhawk arrives several quiet, yet tense minutes later and we quickly board.

The sun is just beginning to rise over the mountains as we lifted off and we witness the most beautiful sunrise I had ever seen in any game... Ever. Made only more wonderful by the fact that had just survived a 4+ hour mission. From the air we see long morning shadows and the woods we thought to be our sanctuary and free of any enemies was in fact crawling with enemies. We flew off with out incident but the knowledge of what was almost our doom, made that ride into the sunset even sweeter.

Most memorable game ever. Beautiful....

That mission alone was worth the sticker price of OFP. I can't wait for more like that in ArmA. yay.gif

Good description, I love moments like that

Most of the good firefights and battles come from sheer luck half the time.. your chopper accidentally gets shot down, your whole squad gets killed, etc.. lots of variables in a game as open-ended as ArmA.

Just seems like they're too few and far between though. Intense AI fights are a pretty rare sight. whistle.gif

I allso love the night fights, for example when u roll into town at night and theres burning wrecks everywhere, tracers flying etc. ,

I can even hear that wierd sound, (the slow hummm), and I think this is the closest thing of being in hell.

I love the fact that BIS didn't want to over do the game, and ristrict players to do certain stuff, or make players play the game, the way dev's want. Instead they just let it be open, and let things happen in they're own balance.

So GJ BIS,u got me hooked; this is my new number 1 game yay.gifyay.gif

(the latter being Americas Army)

Just got the U.S. release this morning. Totally loving what I am seeing/hearing and experiencing. Very happy I upgraded before getting the game.

I agree with everyone here. Its a great successor to OFP (the last best game wink_o.gif )

Just like real combat you have lots of preparation time followed by moments of sheer terror.

One thing which you won't find in any other game is the quiet reflection time....

Example: Flying to an LZ at dawn, sitting on the outrigger of a little bird, I look back and see another AH6 following as we swerve and dive low over the terrain... and since its MP you know they are all real people.

Just another WOW moment.

The motto for this game should be...

"The closest thing to real combat without getting blood on your hands"

Great thread people. When I play games the story is the most important aspect to me, not the story or plot in the mission design necessarily, but the story that actually unfolds in its telling based on random interactions and real players making decisions. This works best in an "anything goes" sandbox type of game that is OFP/ArmA. My favorite board game is Chess for this reason. I don't even care really if I lose, as long as I tried to win to the best of my ability, and that it was a spectacular loss with lots of shifting of advantages.

Gaming is purely escapism for me. When a game can make me forget that it is a game for long periods of time, it is a triumph. No game comes close to this series in this respect.

notworthy.gif

Best feeling yet (well nearly) was burying over 50 bodies at the airport in Evolution after some nutters were on before me, was really freaky when i joined all quiet and US bodies everywhere, got that base back up looking fresh and tidy after fixing some vehicles and bringing them back  biggrin_o.gif

Got called Padre for that one

Lets all say a prayer  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif

I get it in GTR2, Stalker, and OFP+SLX. Not in ArmA yet though.

As everyone is going down memory lane, i specifically remember a campaign mission from OFP where you are separated from your unit and have to make the RV, that was a rush , and also the mission where you had to escape from your captors at night , being chased by a bmp across open fields in pitch black..total immersion... good times biggrin_o.gif

Arma has no atmosphere for me, I get as much of an adrenaline rush as a dead fish.

I do like the game, editor anyway, campaign sucks.

Arma has no atmosphere for me, I get as much of an adrenaline rush as a dead fish.

I do like the game, editor anyway, campaign sucks.

may i know the what would make you to have a adrenaline rush? a well made mission? a kickass coop map round? a intensive firefight in a A&D/C&H PvP coop match? a simple CTF/DM match? or it simply another game you talking about?

Just picked up my U.S. copy today. Loaded it up and began the campaign. For some reason it was reeaaallllyyy shitty performance issues, but then I turned off a few processes and shadows and it runs beautifully yet looks incredible at the same time! The beautiful feeling came back as I heard that first T-72 of the game rolling up. I couldn't see it, but just the sound and the eventual emergence of it galvanized "the feeling".

welcome.gif beautiful feeling!