Sign in to follow this  
Coffee

NEW ATI out performs 8800 and is cheeper

well...I've had a x1950Pro for a couple of months (half year!?), sure it performed well in benchmarks and sure ATI didn't think twice about taking my money and deliver the card but in they still haven't managed to give me software for the card to work as the benchmarks promised. As a matter of fact the card is pretty much crap with ArmA as it is today...

See no need to buy a new ATI card, maybe the old ones will be fast as h*ll as soon as (if ever) ATI will get their software working...

wink_o.gif

/Abbe

The article says the release will be in mid-may, however, I read some where that the due date was postponed till mid-june.  sad_o.gif

I guess we'll see.  I hope this article is right wink_o.gif

well...I've had a x1950Pro for a couple of months (half year!?), sure it performed well in benchmarks and sure ATI didn't think twice about taking my money and deliver the card but in they still haven't managed to give me software for the card to work as the benchmarks promised. As a matter of fact the card is pretty much crap with ArmA as it is today...

See no need to buy a new ATI card, maybe the old ones will be fast as h*ll as soon as (if ever) ATI will get their software working...

wink_o.gif

/Abbe

I've had the X1950Pro too and well pleased with it. I don't think it is the gfx card that is the issue with ArmA but could be more processor dependant.

Only a few slow downs for me but only happens the more AI there are...

rthat model is not top one, plas its out preform 8800GTS not 8800 GTX. http://www.dailytech.com/ATI+Rad....052.htm

there is prisec for different models:

http://www.bootdaily.com/index.p....emid=59

however ATI have one with 2GB VRAM i think (not sure) name was ATI x2900XTX2

Yep and the 9800 will come along and beat the new ATI card then the next ATI card will trump the that etc.

Most important is that ATI now have a rival and this will bring all card costs down,  nvidia have been able to milk the market for 6 months while ATI sat in the lab.

Problem is most benchmarks matter moot for now till there is a Dx10 benchmark for Crysis,   almost cards have been fine since the 7800 series for modern games in high res.

Also of note is will the ATI card work well in a Intel DUO/QUAD or will it need a new AMD CPU?  I'm worried there's a split going on with nvidia and Intel in one camp and the new AMD/ATI in the other.

Its been a long wait for this card,  I was getting worried Nvidia were going to dominate the market for 2 long which means we would all pay more for GPU's.

The dialy tech scores showed both ATI cards getting powned by the 8800 GTX which is odd,  perhaps the ATI needs the new AMD CPU or better drivers etc.  It's taken almost 5 months for decent stable 8800 drivers to arrive.  And as I said before the DX9 benchmarks are a bit daftt as both these cards are for DX10 and the awesome amount fo stream processors the new ATI cards have may make a huge difference.

there is only one thing which is starnge.

X2900XTX and X1950XTX have same GPU and memory speed.

that just confuse me, why ATI did not incrise PGU speed in X2900XTX, that would improve preformance, plas may be its will match 8800GTX.

what realy confuse me benchmarking

http://www.dailytech.com/ATI+Rad....052.htm

how come better model have just little impruvments?

and read comments, some users post benchmarks for X1950XTX wich not so diferent from X2900XTX

there is question, can we or can not relay on benchmarking results of dailytech? they looks for me little bit strange.

P.S. for who dont know 8800GTX ist overclocked 8800GTS

P.S. for who dont know 8800GTX ist overclocked 8800GTS

Please tell me how to overclock 96 Stream Processors to 128 and 320bit Memory Interface to 384bit?

I would like to overclock my GTX to say 150 Stream Processors and 420bit Memory Interface! ;)

One thing different between OFP and ArmA is that while ArmA starts up, you do see the logo: "Nvidia: the way it's meant to be played" - that may mean something... wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Most important is that ATI now have a rival and this will bring all card costs down, nvidia have been able to milk the market for 6 months while ATI sat in the lab.

Uh... ATi has had a rival for a very, very long time...

Quote[/b] ]

Also of note is will the ATI card work well in a Intel DUO/QUAD or will it need a new AMD CPU? I'm worried there's a split going on with nvidia and Intel in one camp and the new AMD/ATI in the other.

That will not happen, you can be sure of that. ATi graphics cards work fine (With (Basically (0-1)) no difference in FPS) with NVidia motherboard chipsets, and vice versa for ATi crossfire motherboards. (I myself run an ATi X1800XT on a nVidia SLi motherboard) I doubt that's going to change, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote[/b] ]there is only one thing which is starnge.

X2900XTX and X1950XTX have same GPU and memory speed.

that just confuse me, why ATI did not incrise PGU speed in X2900XTX, that would improve preformance, plas may be its will match 8800GTX.

what realy confuse me benchmarking

The X1950XTX already had very high clock speeds, so there was no need to improve numbers which were already very very high.

Personally I'm not very sure about the accuracy of DailyTech's results. Here's one thing I noticed:

Half Life 2: Episode 1

XTX: 117.9

XT: 118.9

Uh... So the XT performs better in this test? What the hell?

Also:

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

XTX: 100.3

XT: 101.4

Again... Wtf? I know it's only a 1 FPS increase but still... It just doesn't make sense.

wait for official tests ...

DT wasn't part of ATI meeting in tunis and so far i know was w/o latest drivers and card revisions ...

considering the card cost lower than GTS 640MB and nearly as expensive OCed 320MB variants with way higher pure perf

and tons of modern bonus for video and DX10 ...

wait for official tests ...

DT wasn't part of ATI meeting in tunis and so far i know was w/o latest drivers and card revisions ...

considering the card cost lower than GTS 640MB and nearly as expensive OCed 320MB variants with way higher pure perf

and tons of modern bonus for video and DX10 ...

Yep if the ATI card is cheaper this is good news as it should force nvidia to stop milking the top end. In all the benchmarks the funny result was the new R600 cards totaly powned the nvidia Quadro series in 3d studio max.

Nvidia will be forced to cut prices, the 8800 ultra is 500 pounds and they are really taking the pis* now.

Don't forget the 8 series work 20-30% faster in a Intel Duo over even AMD FX CPU's so don't be surprised if the new AMD cores the Phlegm (sorry Phenom) run the R600's a bit faster...

Everyone gets very excited over which is faster and forgets from the 8800 GTS 320 or the 2900XT you can run just about any game at very high res at better than 30 FPS as a min frame rate. Which means PC's officially now crap all over the consoles and games like crysis/bioshock/lost planet/alan wake and ARMA will be fun to play for years to come and just look better and better.

These new ATI cards DO NOT outperform the 'real' 8800 (8800gtx). They get around 20fps lower which is disgraceful for a card that was meant to combat the 8800gtx.. But remember, nvidia is about to unleash the 8850GTX which will pwn any card and will drop the price of the 8800gtx, so wait out for that one. Don't waste your money on the XTX. If you want a new card, with low cash, get the XT. But for great performance for your buck, get a 8800gtx which will soon drop with the release of the 8800ultra and a the 8850 series. smile_o.gif

Have a read; http://www.short-media.com/news/nvidia_8800_ultra

These new ATI cards DO NOT outperform the 'real' 8800 (8800gtx). They get around 20fps lower which is disgraceful for a card that was meant to combat the 8800gtx.. But remember, nvidia is about to unleash the 8850GTX which will pwn any card and will drop the price of the 8800gtx, so wait out for that one. Don't waste your money on the XTX. If you want a new card, with low cash, get the XT. But for great performance for your buck, get a 8800gtx which will soon drop with the release of the 8800ultra and a the 8850 series. smile_o.gif

That would be a real nice read if that 2900xtx was actually being considered for retail release. Wait for the official tests.

Also, saying the 8800gtx outperforms the 2900xt is like saying the lambo diablo outperforms the porsche boxter. They're not in the same class and I agree that the poster's title was a little vague, but it's not rocket science to figure out the reality of it from the content of his posts and link.

These new ATI cards DO NOT outperform the 'real' 8800 (8800gtx). They get around 20fps lower which is disgraceful for a card that was meant to combat the 8800gtx.. But remember, nvidia is about to unleash the 8850GTX which will pwn any card and will drop the price of the 8800gtx, so wait out for that one. Don't waste your money on the XTX. If you want a new card, with low cash, get the XT. But for great performance for your buck, get a 8800gtx which will soon drop with the release of the 8800ultra and a the 8850 series.  smile_o.gif

first off ... there is no XTX release yet ... only HD X2900XT

second , not only that DT used weird sets of drivers and game settings and unknown XTX card revisions etc they also used watercooled OC 8800 sample ...

like i said wait for some usable benchmarks comparing all pieces of mosaic

video quality, video speed (hell if card sports HDMI and onboard 5.1 card it MUST offer perfect HDvideo hardware acceleration in all resolutions)

AA/AF quality, speed, perf. hit when used in HI resolutions

DX10 speeds (geometry shaders etc)

etc.

you speak about "8850" model ...

i see nothing like that on roadmap

(but on some sources it equals by core/vram clocks just released Ultra with easy price 839USD lol)

anyway NVIDIA still need to present 8900 models

which are 8800 refresh with die shrink from 90 to 80nm and GDDR3 to GDDR4 change

don't await then any price change on these lol

anyway like i said wait and enjoy the beauty of price and technology war ...

This is a discussion regarding new hardware only and thus doesn't suit being posted in Troubleshooting.

Movingto Off Topic. smile_o.gif