Sign in to follow this  
Deimus

Retail Store Availability?

Have not seen them at stores yet, but amazon USA now has them in stock and the game is available to overnight delivery. Just ordered two copies and should have it tomorrow. Will be sending one copy to a buddy who is stationed in Afghanistan.

THanks for the heads-up, I just did the same.

I tried google and walmart last night at 9:45 pm and at target they had absolutely no idea what that game was. At walmart they lady told me may 8th.

Well people

I got my "DVD Hardcopy" yesterday May 03, from EB Games In Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Installed and running. yay.gif

The store where I got it was shipped 1 copy? I got it. xmas_o.gif

He said it was a head office choice? Never questioned much more than that just paid and went home.

Walmart and BestBuy will have it on shelves after 8th.

You can order it online from walmart now.

Steam left a 4 Gig footprint on my hard drive ever AFTER I uninstalled all of the games.

No thanks.

Tell me what program needs a 4 Gig footprint when you can have a working beta of a shooter with multiple levels, dynamic lighting, animations, music and sound effects for only 98kb? (.kkrieger beta)

Steam left a 4 Gig footprint on my hard drive ever AFTER I uninstalled all of the games.

No thanks.

Tell me what program needs a 4 Gig footprint when you can have a working beta of a shooter with multiple levels, dynamic lighting, animations, music and sound effects for only 98kb?  (.kkrieger beta)

and what prevent You to erase these 4GB from Your HDD

from Your comment it's hard to say if it were temp files, log files, downloaded custom maps,sounds,game files etc. ...

trying compare games with demoscene gems is nonsense (just pure dialogs in complex games after maximal possible compression is bigger than e.g. 98kB)

they shrink all into fractal/procedural programming removing the need for textures, sounds and models ...

and in other small demos programmers utilized default textures and sounds in DX (at least that's what was in readme)

i'm not saying such technology is useless as it offers new ways how shrink size IF possible:

for example similar technology is used in Unreal Engine 3 based game ROBOBLITZ (~50MB download)

and guess what - it's available on STEAM smile_o.gif

ROBOBLITZ@STEAM for 14USD

still it's possible compress/shrink size of game only to some level, not every to 100kB each ...

plus such technology cost something (work-hours, license etc)

crying about STEAM size is nonsense as Your drive covers whole CD/DVD for game

my STEAM directory is only 50 GB and it covers only like 1/3 of all games released on STEAM ...

considering most of good and new games released on STEAM are between 600-5000MB it's perfectly fine with me ...

Steam is quite complex yet clever service for distribution of games

developers can decide if they want use Valves own .gcf file container

or for best compatibility just special filesystem driver

(game directory/file tree then looks exactly as in NON STEAM version just binary is complied with some Steam link code)

it's so simple that You can get 12 years old games working with Steam (XCOM:TTD as example)

15-20 milion users of STEAM + simple distribution are reason more and more developers and publishers release games there,

since this week there are new games like

The Longest Journey

X-Com : Terror from the Deep for 2.45 USD

all RailRoad Tycoon (RRT) games (1,2,3)

and most surprising UFO : Afterlight from Czech team ALTAR Games

this team is member of IDEA GAMES same like BIS

** EDIT: looks like UFO:Afterlight is now also on GamersGate smile_o.gif

and my main hope is to see one day Armed Assault on STEAM list too ...

i can understood some people don't like STEAM ... fine ...

noone forces You to use STEAM or buy games released on STEAM ...

but what i can't understood is when they trying to prevent games being published on STEAM ...

why ? it's just another way to get product to customers

in short example , look at SFI (Strategy First Inc.), they are small publisher with own game development studio so:

- they publish via STORES and other RETAIL channels

- they publish via own download distribution on theirs website

- they publish via Direct 2 Drive

- they publish via GamersGate (another like STEAM service)

- they publish via TotalGaming.net (Stardock variant of D2D/GG)

- they publish via STEAM

result ?

covered market as any customer can choose when,what service and way they want to get product

deny release of game today on STEAM is major marketing mistake

(show me publisher/developer who trashes market with 15-20 millions users & constant rapid grow)

p.s. sorry for offtopic as this is mainly about retail stores smile_o.gif

Could not agree more Dwarden steam has been a pleasure for me to game with and all games have been updated without hassle and buying off them is simple and easy, i do not know quite why steam is so love or hate with people but i think its more to do with the general online download purchasing of games than Steam itself.

I went to Best Buy here in Canada and they knew nothing about the game's release. It isn't on their computer system at all.

Off to EB Games for me I guess sad_o.gif

My local Gamestop/EB (in Columbia S.C.) has copies in stock today...with one held for me. I'm so ready to jump in tonight.

So check thier website to see if you they have any in your local area.

My local EB Games doesn't have it either. I'm pissed. Now not only can BIS not keep on the ball, but even their own publisher can't distribute the game properly. This amazes me, actually... no it doesn't. Walmart is an online only deal, you have to pay around 50 bucks to get it shipped to you in decent time. Myers doesn't carry it... Best Buy hasn't even heard of it. I don't see it coming out anytime soon.

When you are asking about it in US stores be sure to ask for "ArmA" not Armed Assault.

It is showing up in catalogs as "ArmA: Combat Operations" and the three stores I have asked knew nothing of "Armed Assault" wow_o.gif

I was at Best Buy today for something else and they had it.

You must be talking about a Best Buy in the USA because in Canada I spoke with an employee and they said it wasn't showing up in their system at all. I confirmed it when I got home by searching their online website.

The local EB near me in Toronto has a few copies so my wife has offered to pick it up for me tomorrow biggrin_o.gif

Yea, be sure to ask for Arma, or maybe Combat Operations. Some stores may not have put it on the shelves yet either.

If all else fails, you can always order it from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832198038

On a side note, I just saw the rest of the box on the Newegg pictures.  inlove.gif  It doesn't mention anything about jets though.

Well my EB games didn't have any copies of ARMA available when they said and now they are telling me sometime next week. So i drove to walmart and was disappointed when i couldn't find the game, but i kept looking and they had the game on the very bottom shelf behind the game where they keep the excess overflow. They had about 10 in stock.

I can confirm that Best Buy in the US does have it on the shelves as of yesterday. Grabbed my copy for $39.99USD. yay.gif

Ah, just picked up my copy from EB Games, Square One Mall, Ontario.  yay.gif

Almost got a pre-played one, hard to believe someone returned it tounge2.gif  maybe they just took the CD-Key...

if this game was on steam i would prolly purchase it just because it is so damn convenient.  but from what i have seen i doubt this game is good enough to get me excited enough to head to a store to pick it up.  not lazy but just not that impressed.

In the Sacramento area of California, I cant find any stores that have it :l. So I bought it online off ebgames.com

Ebgames did have it instore though, but they sold out of it the first day.

I bought it today at BestBuy in Fairborn Ohio under the title ARMA:Combat Operations. When I asked if they had Armed Assault in stock no one had any idea what I was talking about.