Sign in to follow this  
crashdome

Script Edit

Hello everyone.

If you were looking for an editor for Armed Assault, I encourage you to take a look at my latest release. I have received alot of feedback from closed alpha and beta testers. We hope you enjoy it.

Documentation is included in the install, but is not completely comprehensive. There is a good portion which is WIP. Feel free to post questions here or on the JadeGear forums. latter is preferred

Website

Notes I would like to make:

This is a beta version. On my website you will see a list of features. This list is for the FINAL version and the beta may not contain all the features listed - and the list may change.

This product is for non-commercial use only

Another note is it requires .net 2.x something. So I'm downloading that too.

Can't wait to try it out.

Excellent work! Thank you, this prog looks nice smile_o.gif

Doesn't that make today your birthday or something? wink_o.gif

I love the customizable interface, very flexible. It reminds me of autoCAD - the ability to place menus etc where I want them is brilliant. Hehe, I've always wondered what the Flesch Reading Ease of my scripts was!!

ps: joinSilent is a valid command, apparently only discovered a week ago.

Suggestion: Adjustable colours. The default scheme is harsh on my sleep deprived eyes. While the program does inherit windows settings, I find using a non-white windows background is not normally practical as it causes issues with other programs.

pps: Thank you for not making your program automatically create file associations!

Thanks for pointing that out hoz, and thanks for the command heads-up, fasad.

Tomorrow I will release another tool I use to extract commands from the BIS wiki. I will then post updated command.xml files which can be downloaded and put into the My Documents\JadeGear folder to update the command list.

Looks good so far

I know it's still beta, but a couple of things I would like to see. Assuming you don't already have plans to implement them:

A new file type "Project".

A project is just a collection of files, folders and Script Edit window layouts. I would be handy to have a browser window that could be split for multiple addon and mission folders.

Those folders could be saved along with, any script files you left open and your window layout, in to project files. So if your working on scripts in a addon and test mission, you can bring the whole lot up. Just by loading a project?

The ability to disable the syntax tool tips?

The ability to design your own script headers?

The "Insert Private Array List" is a nice feature. It would be handy if this were made easier when adding all the variables in the list. Perhaps the addition of a "select all" option, when you right click on the variable list?

It would also be nice if you could right click on a scripts filename tab, to bring up an option to close it?

Anyway, a great script editor.

Cheers

All my .net apps always have as requisites in the installation procedure whatever .net framework I developed against AND the Windows Installer software.

As .net requires Windows Installer v2 if memory serves. fyi.

ohhh... how rude of me... frik'n great job chaps... website bookmarked.

cheers.

A fine pice of Software !  notworthy.gif

Would be fine to have Vehicles sorted in Classes like Cars/Men

in the Mission.sqm

eg.

Vehicles

items

West

Cars

Item0

Item1

Item23

Air

Item2

East

Cars

Item5

Item10

Item33

Air

Item12

Can please anyone explain to me as a "normal" user what skilled people can do with this tool? smile_o.gif

In the SmartComments article you wrote TASK is a keyword that marks things still to do. But I opened a script that was using //ToDo already but this was recognized as task. Then I tried //Task

but no task appeared in the task window. So it seems that the keyword is ToDo.

Oh forgot to say: brilliant editor, but I also would like to see editable colors.

I noticed that once I've opened the mission... that the briefing sections weren't populated until I clicked off the window and then back. Not sure if this is a bug or not.

edit:

If your missing a semi colon in the sqf or description.ext file you should turn the line red or provide some warnings for the user.

Anyways nice job. biggrin_o.gif

Wonderful Tool Crash !

Thanks heaps.

Feedback;

- Double clicking a file in explorer doesn't open the file in the Editor

- Double clicking another file results in another instance of the editor, not ideal as I see it.

- Dragging and dropping a file results in a "Open or Save" dialog !

- Got an error, its looking for a commands.xml or something on C drive mydocuments.

- Lost without my Ctrl-F for Find text !!! sad_o.gif

Cheers.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I will try to answer as much as possible:

@UNN

The project file was something I considered, but I am not sure how other people will like it... especially if it is included in missions and others don't use/need Script Edit. It is something I would very much like though.

Script Headers are editable... although outside of Script Edit.. (My Documents\JadeGear\Headers). See the documentation.

I will look into a "Select all" feature

Yes, many others have asked for a right-click context menu on the tab. If I can think of any other options other than just "Close" (because thats all I heard so far....) I will be quicker to implement it.

Syntax Tool Tips are being looked at because they lag large files. I may disable tool-tips automatically for large files and implement a button that is manually pressed to check for errors. This is an area I would like more feedback in.

@Synide

Hmm.. I will double check that again. I may have only checked installer v3.1...

@T_D

TASK is misprint... it should be TODO. I will change for next release.

Editable colors is something very much planned. There is a question in the FAQ (Support Area of Jadegear.com) which answers this in better detail.

@hoz

Definately a bug with that intial blank fields... thanks!

Semi-colons are impolemented for class-based files. It's in the documentation. It is not instantaneous... it takes about 2-3 seconds for it to highlight so try pausing for a moment. SQF/SQS does NOT have this feature. It is something that if I did implement... would be further down the road because of the time involved.

@[APS]Gnat

You need tyo associate files first. I did not do this automatically. I wanted it a choice because there are other editers out there and I don't want people to feel that I am forcing this down their throat. You can accomplish File Associations from the Options screen.

Once you do that, yes, double-clicking will open a new instance. This is a topic I have had a discussion with others. It may be changed, it may not... we shall see. I recommend using the built-in file browser or using File-Open command.

As for dragging/dropping... that has not been implemented but I admit would be nice.

If you get an error about the commands.xml, the best is to send the report if the error screen pops up. If it is an "unhandled exception" I'd really like to know your install routine and if you can reproduce it somehow.

Ctrl-F will be implemented. Right now, Ctrl-R does same thing.

Hi, your page is down:

Quote[/b] ]Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Is there a mirror for your editor?

You need tyo associate files first.

I'm silly, but not that silly. Yes, it was already associated but it seemed to get hung up at least twice I saw. I waited a while and it started working again.

A tick-box option to "open one instance only" might be nice and provide choice ..... if the rest of the code isn't a nightmare as a result smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]If you get an error about the commands.xml, the best is to send the report if the error screen pops up.

It popped up at least twice, I submited the report at least once. You should have it.

Quote[/b] ]Ctrl-R does same thing

Oops! Thanks.

Great work, Crashdome! notworthy.gif

Regarding the project files, I would very much like them too. What about a similar solution to the Eclipse-workspaces?

Just give the user the ability to select a workspace. A workspace would be a folder containing project folders and one hidden folder containing settings and project files of the workspace. Optionally, project files could also link to project file paths outside the workspace. Project files themselves could be plain XML.

With this solution, users could use different workspaces - f.i. one for the mission (even the ArmA user missions directory itself), one for addons etc. And each of these workspaces could store different settings such as window layouts etc.

Great Work! notworthy.gifinlove.gif

Two little bugs (or features??):

- When I an make a "Quickfind _var1" in the variable list, also a commented variable will be found: //_var1

- I have an array of strings ( ["a","b"...]) and "a" and "b" are also listed in the Variable List

Site is back up... sorry I thought I could sneak in an upgrade and blew something up!

I will look into the "Open in one instance". It is difficult to pass information from a double-click to an open instance in a proper secure environment (read: Vista) so I will have to find the proper way to do it.

When I think about the project files and workspaces, I am also thinking about compatibility as ease of use. I do not want to get overly complicated. The goal of Script Edit is to satisfy the needs of beginners and the bulk of advanced users for making missions. There already exists a "workspace" in the sense that you "Open a mission folder". I want the focus to stay there. If you read the documentation in that section, you will find my opinions about working with addons within the environment of Script Edit. However, I still like the idea of dumping a project file into the mission folder once it has been "opened". A single file listing opened documents shouldn't bloat the mission or confuse people or I could also do as Hardrock suggests and dump it into a folder in My Docs\JadeGear.

I have something else in development that takes Script Edit, FSM Edit and mashes them together and adds more stuff for add-on making. This will come later though.

[EDIT]

Quote[/b] ]- When I an make a "Quickfind _var1" in the variable list, also a  commented variable will be found: //_var1

- I have an array of strings ( ["a","b"...]) and "a" and "b" are also listed in the Variable List

Good catch... noting them. Quick question to other users: Would you like the Quickfind to find variables in comments?

I don't want to disable it if no one likes the change.

[EDIT2]

Could not reproduce the string showing up in variable list. Can you verify it isn't that you actually have variables using same name somewhere else (i.e. do a Quick Find on them)

Cool thing, now it works also with cpp ! notworthy.gif

If i get a wish for free, I would wish a variable count in the variable manager at the end of each variable or as tooltip. wink_o.gif

The project file was something I considered, but I am not sure how other people will like it... especially if it is included in missions and others don't use/need Script Edit. It is something I would very much like though.

I didn't real explain myself very well. I was kind of thinking about two things at once. The first was a window for folder views. I knocked up a sample screen shot:

folder.jpg

In this case you can examine and load files from both the mission folder and the addon folder.

The project file was really just another menu option that lets you save a single project file, to whatever location you want. That file contains the window layout and references to any files you had open at the time.

A simple example would be; I would just have a separate folder call ARMA Projects. Then for each addon I was working on, I would save the project file in there. So when you load the project file, it automatically shows all the files and folders (scripts,missions e.t.c) associated with the project. It's not really project management, but it does allow you to organise the default locations of the files and folders yourself.

If I wanted to edit scripts as normal, I could just use the regular load and save menu options.

Yes, many others have asked for a right-click context menu on the tab. If I can think of any other options other than just "Close" (because thats all I heard so far....) I will be quicker to implement it.

Visual Studio has this:

tab.jpg

The "Close all but this" does come in handy quite often. "Open Containing Folder" would be useful with the Folder Browser.

I will look into a "Select all" feature

Cheers, I appreciate it's easier for us to suggest these things than it is for you to add them. So any extras you do have time to add, will just help to enhance an already solid editor.

Edit:

I had a read of the documentation, I see you already have something similar with the Mission Folder Browser. Doing something similar for addons would is what I was getting at.

Found the header files to, cheers.

I did hit upon a problem though. After splitting two windows horizontaly, then tried to move the top window to the left or right:

error1.jpg

The screen capture I used, could not grab the blue highlight, it was in the top left hand corner. I got the following error resulting in the app shutting down:

error2.jpg

Quote[/b] ]The process cannot access the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXX\My Documents\JadeGear\Commands.xml' because it is being used by another process.

Double click a file in explorer the first time and it opens it into the editor.

shortly thereafter .....

Double click a sqf file, opens the editor to the default start screen only.

Close it and double click the sqf file again and you get the error.

Double clicking now no longer opens the file until the computer is restarted (or a very long time).

@gnat I am going to disable the multiple instance and try and get it so that it is only one. That should solve that....

@Unn

Thanks for the screen. Not sure why it is doing that, but I'll look...

I should point out I'm running it under XP64 with Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (x64).

It just seems to be a problem with that combination of two windows. Any other time, I would not be given the option to place a window in an invalid location.

Cheers

My primary testbed is 64bit Vista so I don't think that's necessarily the problem, but I think it has something to do with there being an empty space. For example, if you have two docs on top when you move it Left or Right it works fine because there are three views and three or more docs to fill the voids.

It *should* just revert back to full top view and not allow you to move it Left or Right.

I had this problem prior to release when you would float a docking window like the Variable list and try and drop a doc on it.

I am not sure how fast I will be fixing this problem as it is very rare. I will make a better note of in the issues area.

Nice job Crash!

Do you think if i provided some of the DSTS stuff you could add a section to it for it? Just curious