Sign in to follow this  
Soldaat

Multiplayer could use some improvement

With that I mean that its really a long progress to get in a game.

Maps which are getting uploaded are uploading with a real slow speed, with like 1 or 2 KB/sec.

Why is this in these times when everyone got adsl/cable?

Also many games just dont load at all so I must join another game after waited like 5 minutes to make it load! First slow upload then ''receiving mission file'' then nothing happens!

Uploading maps should go much faster and some games seems to be bugged so I cant join.

You need to pick fast servers and not servers that are hosted at people's home. Som cable/DSL connection only have 10-20 Kb/s upload, which when there are 2-3 people on it is full, so then you indeed get slow download of maps.

The same goes with the receiving mission file, where there is still data to be transmitted. Joining fast servers should resolve this. It has nothing to do with the game.

It's like blaming your ISP for not being able to download a file from a friend at your max speed of 4Mbps because the friend only has 500Kbps upload...

It's only slow if you're joining a game in progress that has lots of changes to the original mission state. The game has to register all of the objectives, corpses, gutted vehicles, abandoned vehicles and weapons, their hitpoints and ammo, etc ad nauseum. I don't see a way to improve that. I'm no network programmer, but it seems like a lot of information to transfer, and you need to keep it at a rate that doesn't affect the rest of the players!

It's only slow if you're joining a game in progress that has lots of changes to the original mission state. The game has to register all of the objectives, corpses, gutted vehicles, abandoned vehicles and weapons, their hitpoints and ammo, etc ad nauseum. I don't see a way to improve that. I'm no network programmer, but it seems like a lot of information to transfer, and you need to keep it at a rate that doesn't affect the rest of the players!

But with for example Red orchestra some maps are like 10mb and are uploaded in in like 20 seconds!

There are no ''gamehosting servers'' with arma?

Indeed I got relatively slow download speed even in lan. I think there's some artificial limit somewhere...

But with for example Red orchestra some maps are like 10mb and are uploaded in in like 20 seconds!

I think it has something to do with the serverside rule MaxBandwidth, atleast I would have done it so...

I think it has something to do with the serverside rule MaxBandwidth, atleast I would have done it so...

Well my guess its kinda like the sounds we got which are like the old OFP and where we also had this very slow upload with maps with OFP.

Just old code/settings used I think?

a map from 720KB takes like 7 minutes!

I can download the maps really quickly most of the time... the only problems i have are on recieving data... sometimes it takes sooo long its unbelievable... but thats understandable as some maps last for hours + hours....

But if there was a way to improve it that would be good.

SUGGESTION: Game in Progress time on the browser? So we know how long a game has been being played.

Nice idea Jack!

The only trouble i have is joining Evolution - it takes forever?

But then the map could of been going for absolutely ages , so think of all thats happened up till then has to be transfered to yer pc! smile_o.gif

Yup, same here lol. The longer the map has been running, generally the longer it takes to recieve data, as you have to recieve positions of all objects/destroyed objects, player positions, objective status etc etc. Obviously it will be slow to load all of that, whether or not it can be optimised in any way i dunno...

But if you have a way to check the time in progress of a game you can avoid the servers which have been running for hours and you can join one early on biggrin_o.gif

it would be nice if Arma multiplayer didn't crash the video card back to a desktop at 800x600 with 16 colours.

doesn't happen in single player.

Hi all

For some time we at CoC and others in the community have suggested that BIS start to investigate server farm Archetecture.

The reasons are:

1) As missions get longer to the point of persistence and we have more dynamic content anyone JIPing in is going to have to download more and more data.

2) As missions get larger we will need to throw more processing power at the problem of opfor and non player AI.

3) As we add in more clutter such as wild life and crowd behaviour will need to throw more processing power at the problem of clutter AI.

4) As more ballistics need calculating from more AI and humans firing more projectiles we will need more processing power.

Now obviously some of the processing power situation can be improved by code that suports multiple cores and hiving AI code off to a seperate core should be a priority.

With downloads though the only solution is a totaly seperate JIP server that acts as a server client to the main server and has seperate bandwidth. It can then be used to synchronise JIP clients to 90% before handing off to the main server.

Kind Regards walker

Yeah.. the best benefit for servers IMO would be to implement multi core support... not necessarily client side (though obviously it would be a bonus for those who have it)

A lot of the top of the range servers have tons of cores, making use of them efficiently can REALLY increase the FPS for everyone...

But for recieving data etc that would be restricted to bandwidth right? 100mb/s is the fastest ive seen in ArmA so far i think... so is it limited to that?

Keep on bugging BIS CoC wink_o.gif

i wonder what all is relayed within "receiving data" moment ...

i mean "any change accross island, like fallen trees"?

in that case isn't easier to just transfer changes around spawn locations and rest on background while already ingame?

well i guess that would cause issues with the streaming of the island.. otherwise we'd end up with choppy performance when coming close to a certain area.. plus if ur in a plane u'll get a 'backlog' of data to be recieved..

i guess there is no way around it, unless somehow the speed can be optimised biggrin_o.gif

Well my guess its kinda like the sounds we got which are like the old OFP and where we also had this very slow upload with maps with OFP.

What are your computer specs.

I've downloaded mission files bigger than 1Mb very fast, it's all dependant on the server connection. Nothing really abnormal.

What are your computer specs.

4800x2 processor, 2048mb memory, 8800GTS videocard and a 400/100 KB/sec adsl connection.