Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

MV-22 Osprey Tilt-Rotor

FYI MCAS New River, North Carolina, is home of the first Fully active Osprey Squadron. They are currently on deployment in Iraq and have been for a few months. so, i believe testing is over and they are deff. combat ready wink_o.gif

Yup, 12 Ospreys are currently based in Al Asad in Iraq. US Army already has 100 active and another 167 new are expected to arrived in next 5-years.

@Gnat - check your messages, if you please. smile_o.gif

Re: the Osprey-

In the US, the Military Channel has been running a show about the deployment of the Ospreys to Iraq. Really well done, I think. Puts the development in the right context as well as the difficulties fitting the -22 to "a role" and shifting current doctrine to maximize the -22's abilities.

Quote[/b] ]Yup, 12 Ospreys are currently based in Al Asad in Iraq. US Army already has 100 active and another 167 new are expected to arrived in next 5-years.

FYI:

CV-22A

Air Force aircraft used as a transport from land bases.[30]

MV-22B

Basic US Marine Corps transport; original requirement for 552 (now 360). The Marine Corps is the lead service in the development of the V-22 Osprey. The Marine Corps variant, the MV-22B, is an assault transport for troops, equipment and supplies, capable of operating from ships or from expeditionary airfields ashore. It is replacing the Marine Corps CH-46E and CH-53D. As of March 2007, the Marines have activated three operational Osprey squadrons.[31][32]

CV-22B

Operated by the Air Force for the U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM), will conduct long-range, special operations missions, and is equipped with extra fuel tanks.[33] The Air Force officially accepted the CV-22 on 16 November 2006 in a ceremony conducted at Hurlburt Field in Northwest Florida.[34]

HV-22B

The planned, but as yet unfunded, United States Navy HV-22 will provide combat search and rescue, delivery and retrieval of special warfare teams along with fleet logistic support transport

Resouce:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV-22

Yup, 12 Ospreys are currently based in Al Asad in Iraq. US Army already has 100 active and another 167 new are expected to arrived in next 5-years.

U.S. Army is not using the Osprey, only the other branches.

Quote[/b] ]Quote (IceBreakr @ April 13 2008,14:56)

U.S. Army is not using the Osprey, only the other branches.

Exactamudo, Thank you very much mr. roboto.

To be fair, I think the Marines are willing to let anyone and everyone (including Army units) use the Ospreys. smile_o.gif

At the moment, they are a bit of a solution in search of a problem. biggrin_o.gif

Don't get me wrong - I think they have HUGE potential, but they are struggling a bit against an ingrained system.

It doesn't work that way in real life man. The Army doesn't say to the Marine Corp "hey, mind if we borrow that osprey?" The Army does not and has absolutely no plans to use the osprey.

Been away from home working for several weeks, so not a great deal of progress. Away again soon for weeks sad_o.gif ... but I'll see what I can do in the meantime.

MV-22_4.jpg

MV-22_5.jpg

It doesn't work that way in real life man. The Army doesn't say to the Marine Corp "hey, mind if we borrow that osprey?" The Army does not and has absolutely no plans to use the osprey.

hehe

It is working like that in real life. smile_o.gif

We agree that there will not be a "US Army Aviation" V-22. Yes. You are exactly right.

But, the ones in Iraq now are ferrying US Army soldiers (and materiel) as much as the Army wants, and that the Marines can provide. Ok, that info is a few months old. I do not know what they are doing now. Perhaps there are enough missions available that they can decline US Army ones.

As I understand it, though, they have been more than happy to do just about any role to put the birds in the air.

Edit to add:

Can't wait to see this a/c available! biggrin_o.gif I think we can all agree on that, too. wink_o.gif

It's probably just another case of the whole "Side assistance" thing, since their on the same side why wouldn't they help eachother from time to time? Its sort of like they group of AH-64A's that were painted grey because they were assisting the Marines.

I agree that they could be flying Army troops and equipment around, you made it sound like the Army were the ones actually operating the Ospreys. During my tour in Iraq we flew around Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, civilians, Iraqis, Japanese, Koreans, just about everything you can think of. As far as the Apaches being painted grey, as someone who spent 7 years in U.S. Army Aviation and who still works for the U.S. Army as a contractor, that seems very, very ridiculous and hard to believe. Do you have pictures of this?

SOME IRAQI PASSENGERS IN MY BLACKHAWK, IRAQ 2005, LOL, DUDE HAS HIS HELMET ON BACKWARDS!

Re-googling now, because I found it hard to believe, too. wink_o.gif

Found the caption, but not the pic, yet.

Quote[/b] ]An AH-64A Apache from Task Force 1/151st Aviation Attack Battalion, a U.S. Army unit supporting the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing (Forward) here, flies over the Euphrates River on April 21. The Apaches in the task force were painted gray before the unit deployed here and are the only gray aircraft in the entire U.S. Army inventory.

I guess it was a guard unit.

Edit:

No pic (yet) but -

http://www.globalsecurity.org/militar....c05.htm

Quote[/b] ]Prior to the unit deploying, the helicopters were flown to Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point, N.C., and stripped of their traditional Army green paint. The Apaches now sport the same gray paint as the aircraft of the Marine wing they support, as a measure to minimize surface-to-air attacks.

Oh, and thank you for your (continued) service (hopefully with a better pay now). wink_o.gif I have an Army infantry cousin going to Afghanistan later this summer, and a brother-in-law helo pilot going to Iraq later this year, too.

My point about the Osprey was that it would be easy for someone on the outside to think it was being operated by the Army (despite the USMC insignia) wink_o.gif by only looking at the troops deployed from it. Apologies that I was unclear.

Edit2:

Ok, not the best, but:

fri_marinakis_FR.jpg

From here:

http://www.wataugademocrat.com/2005/0425web/secondhomecoming.php3

Edit3:

Too bad taken from the shade side, but you can kinda tell by looking at the "shark" mouth that the coloring is different from the tan.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/He219/temp_display_img_3231.jpg

(Did direct link because I think the size is bigger than allowed.)

Awesome, I would like to see that thing in real life. Thanks for posting the pics. I hope your relatives make it home safe from their tours in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I can't wait to get this Osprey in game. It'll be an awesome way to do troop insertions.

I think once this thing is released, someone should do an ArmA mod turning the V-22 into an AV-22 like the old Spookys. biggrin_o.gif

IIRC, there was even a Vietnam helo they loaded up with guns/rockets. Same idea.

Use it as a proof of concept for the DoD to put some badass guns on the Osprey. wink_o.gif

Edit;

Guns-a-go-go, baybee. smile_o.gif

Pic:

http://gunsagogo.org/0002/0002/earlyNam/PN480.jpg

http://gunsagogo.org

Much to be learned from that history.

Aye, your googling be better than mine!

notworthy.gif

biggrin_o.gif

Thanks, glad I could put my horded pictures to good use for once smile_o.gif I gots more but I figured those were enough.

Very near a beta release.

Now got normal maps and damage textures etc

MV-22_6.jpg

MV-22_7.jpg

Sweet, just i know its lot of stuff to do irl but some dust and dirt on the textures from being in the sandy desert conditions would be nice too. But i can't wait to play with in the editor and if school gives me some time off to do arma mission editing again tounge2.gif

Wow

notworthy.gif

Now just a little touch in the textures department by EddyD and this bird will be Perfect!!!!!

Mmmmmm, lets see. We have an AAAV-7 WIP, an almost beta V-22, the USMC mod also WIP,....

These news are making me drool guys!!!!

That bee looks awesome Gnat! wow_o.gif

Can't wait for the beta as I dont want to wait for Arma 2 to fly an osprey. Thanks again for making that possible.