Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

Will you still play ArmA?

Codemasters Website Was Slightly updated today:

http://www.codemasters.com/flashpoint2/usa/operationflashpoint2.php

For a Larger, more detailed picture, read on.

It quite litterally gave me goosebumps coming into college today to find out that OFP2.. Yes, Codemasters.. Has released new information about Game2/Operation Flashpoint 2. However. Since this is ArmA's realm... I was wondering if anyone will still play ArmA?

I find it insanely odd that only 1 year from now we will see OFP2. When OFP 1.5 (ArmA) is just now seemingy coming out of its Beta stages (With bugs and all).

Here's gamespot:

Quote[/b] ]First up is first-person shooter Operation Flashpoint 2, which will be coming to the PC and "major console formats." The company describes the game as its "most extensive R and D project to date," and says it has already been in pre-production for two years. It will use a new FPS version of the studio's middleware, Neon.

The original game, Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, was released in 2001, and was followed by two expansion packs. The second game will feature a new contemporary setting, along with extensive multiplayer components, and a variety of military disciplines to play.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news....title;1

Plus this new released screeny:

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/3051/48b062f9be0e4b60d8c3c30pr1.jpg

Source of Screen:

http://www.gamepro.de/news...._2.html

Anyways, with all this new eye candy + whatnot... Will you still play ArmA? It seems that you need a mid-to-high level PC to play ArmA and from the looks of things OFP2... seems 100x more detailed.. So... We all need SLi 8800GTX's... Sorry.

I'll probably play ArmA after Game2. Depending how good that game really is.. considering the difference between OFP and ArmA was like what? 5 years? Now OFP2 coming....1 year after??! They've really got some big..err "Ka-Hone-A's"

Ask me again when its out and not uber shite smile_o.gif

This edited screen says nothing.

The program you refer to isn't truly Game2.

Game2 = BIS's sequel to OFP.

Operation Flashpoint 2 = Codemaster's sequel to OFP. This is what you're talking about, and is where the screenshot is from. You know this already, though.

Different things.

And knowing ArmA's protracted development period, we may be in for a wait, which is good, cause I want craploads of stuff for ArmA to be made. Plus I reckon Codemaster's OFP2 will be... different at best, absolute crap at worst.

Cameron.. you say that with 100% confidence... ?

Here's DX10 differences: Flight Sim X. I have this game and can say that this is 100% accurate. These are in-game shots. No photoshopped or rendered:

DX9

93758924hd1.png

DX10 SAME GAME, SAME SCREEN

xbu0.png

So its entirely possible.You've seen Crysis too. These aren't all coninsidences.. thank jebus for Dx10.

Nvm, this was just some sarcastic bullshit... smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]And sickboy, you posted just before me twice in a row, could you stop doing that? Now i need to quote to make some sence... wink_o.giftounge2.gif
haha, im haunting you smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Here's DX10 differences: Flight Sim X. I have this game and can say that this is 100% accurate. These are in-game shots. No photoshopped or rendered:

Well, the DX9 screen seems to have gloom and volumetric lightning disabled and seems to be using SM2.0 (or lower), SM3.0 could give much nicer water, not as nice as that DX10 shot but the DX9 shot isnt DX9 at its best.

EDIT: If OFP2 turns out to be better then ArmA then i will probably play that instead, if its moddable and has a mission editor. i dont give a shit about who made it. (Although i always liked smaller companies like BI.)

However when Game2 is released i probably wont touch ArmA again, just like now: Im playing ArmA and dont feel the need to go back to OFP. smile_o.gif

And sickboy, you posted just before me twice in a row, could you stop doing that? Now i need to quote to make some sence... wink_o.giftounge2.gif

Well, the DX9 screen seems to have gloom and volumetric lightning disabled and seems to be using SM2.0 (or lower), SM3.0 could give much nicer water, not as nice as that DX10 shot but the DX9 shot isnt DX9 at its best.

Of course it isn't, how would you be able to persuade people that DX10 is the Kool-Aid to drink if the DX9 screenshots look good enough? smile_o.gif

Me personally, I don't give a rats ass about DX10-prettiness, games should be fun first, good looking second. I honestly think DX9 (or better yet OpenGL!wink_o.gif) is good enough graphics-wise, there's not a DX10 screenshot they can show me that will make me want to install Vista and DX10.

I find it insanely odd that only 1 year from now we will see OFP2. When OFP 1.5 (ArmA) is just now seemingy coming out of its Beta stages (With bugs and all).
I'll probably play ArmA after Game2. Depending how good that game really is.. considering the difference between OFP and ArmA was like what? 5 years? Now OFP2 coming....1 year after??! They've really got some big..err "Ka-Hone-A's"

Somehow I feel that you are thinking this OFP2 from Codemasters has something to do with ArmA and Game2 by BIS?

I don't think that's the case, mate.

So, it is not odd at all if Codemasters brings their OFP2 into markets, no matter how short or long time after ArmA...

But I thought BIS was working on Game2 as well...?

Now I'm confused.

edit:

--- lol Sickboy, you had me going before you edited your post lol.

But I thought BIS was working on Game2 as well...?

Now I'm confused.

BI works on Game2

Codemasters on OFP2

BI made OFP but Codemaster has the rights on the name OFP so BI had to choose another name for their next games. smile_o.gif

Whoa whoa whoa... so we have:

OFP

ArmA

Game2

OFP2

All different games? lmao I thought Game 2 and OFP 2 would be the same thing. smile_o.gif

So basically we're going to see Codemasters try to be BIS while making the Operation Flashpoint universe less simulation and more arcade battlefield2 style... while bis works its magic with its wonderful mission editor and military sim wink_o.gif

I agree with ofpforum. I don't give a toss who makes a game as long as I enjoy it.

What's interesting is their using a new engine designed from scratch over the last 18 months. The Neon engine which they built in conjunction with Sony, so it could be that OFP 2 might be a PC and PS3 release.

http://www.developmag.com/news....-engine

edit, 4posts to late icon_rolleyes.gif

Somehow this screenshot gives me an ArmA feeling, so Codies did something wright allready! Love the sky and scenery, but I have no idea if Codie would stay with the same game idea.

Well get to know more in the coming year I guess, hope to get some info on Game2 as well!

I love ArmA and it's way better then just a "in-between-game" but I will love to get my hands on Game2 as fast as possible! (as possible means offcourse that I want to have a finished and not rushed product, but that they start as soon as possible on it)

Just thought I'd point that out to Victor before he started using OFP2 and Game2 interchangeably.

Quote[/b] ]Cameron.. you say that with 100% confidence... ?

Say what? Where did you pull that from? Your entire post seems to have nothing to do with mine. I didn't even mention DX10 once. Good graphics does not equal good game.

Is my English too convoluted for some people or something? To quote N. Dynamite => Gosh.

This is kind of a cheap blow to bis. We've heard nothing about it, then they release the some info and screen, to take away from the upcoming US (last release). So, people unaware of the whole situation will think that OFP2 is the real sequel to OFP (you can read some of the comments in that link) and if they are even aware of ArmA, they probably will think that it's a different game, unless they have tried it. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems a little sleazy to me. crazy_o.gif

i dont care as i am going to save up for VBS2 now nener.gif

You seem to have a good point.

However they released info on 3 seperate games all at one time.. So, unless they were sheilding their "Cheap Blow" by disguising 2 other releasable games... idk

...making the Operation Flashpoint universe less simulation and more arcade battlefield2 style...

Too soon to be making accusations like that, if Codemasters wanted to make an arcade action game then it would be stupid to name it Operation Flashpoint.

This is kind of a cheap blow to bis.........

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems a little sleazy to me. crazy_o.gif

No your not wrong. It's just called effective marketing. Maybe it was a coincidence with the timing, but that's highly doubtful. In marketing a game or a movie, timing is as important as anything else.

Hello

Back to orig topic...

I'll play whichever game is better and suits my game play style.

As to the game being any good..... well who knows?

I fell in love witht the origional OPF model, so as long as it builds on that and removes all those "features" present in Arma then they'll be onto a winner.

But Ill be suprised if Codemasters go down the "make a better OFP" route.

If they do though, then they'll have a lot of research done for 'em already by Arma and it's community. Lets hope they have a few spies here observing what we say about Arma.

I would imagine a departure from true OFP gameplay to cater for the masses, so something along Rainbow Six or Swat Lines, but in a larger environ.

All conjecture though as I dont follow development of any games.

I just hope that when its released, Arma will have reached "maturity" and that I'll be able to play Ofp2 along side it, waiting for it's sdk/mods to come out.

rgds

LoK

Here's DX10 differences: Flight Sim X. I have this game and can say that this is 100% accurate. These are in-game shots. No photoshopped or rendered:

DX9

93758924hd1.png

xbu0.png

So its entirely possible.You've seen Crysis too. These aren't all coninsidences.. thank jebus for Dx10.

Do some research ! The 2nd 'DX10' picture is an artists impression that was released months ago to give an 'idea' or what DX10 may look like with FX10.

DX9

[imghttp://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4250/93758924hd1.png[/img]

[imghttp://img309.imageshack.us/img309/421/xbu0.png[/img]

Uh, all ingame shots, not photoshoped or such, eh?

So that's why there was written "DirectX10 Artist's Concept Image" below the second one in the originals.

tounge2.gif

There are even two more here: some page about games (still smaller then where I saw them first, but I'm lazy to search).

[mostly on topic mode: on]

So, Operation Flashpoint 2, hmm. I don't know, will have to see what they make out of it, could become anything right now, maybe make a new thread when it's out. wink_o.gif

And about Crysis, well, it's Far Cry 2 and I expect it to be about that, a nice graphic demo you can even play through, but I don't expect huge multiplayer battles or a ton of addons/mods comming out, just like Far Cry. Though, that's my cristall ball talking...

Edit: Oh, I see, Thr0tt saw those pictures before too smile_o.gif

(Do not quote pics!)

I guess I'll have to reinstall Vista all over again with FSX and show you.. Wait, someone else do it.

What are you talking about "demo you can walk through"? Sounds interesting smile_o.gif

I have this game and can say that this is 100% accurate. These are in-game shots. No photoshopped or rendered:

Actually the Microsoft page that the second shot is from admitted it was an artist's render of a vista wallpaper made in flight simulator X, the water is almost certainly photoshopped (unless they've invented physically accurate fractal foam generators) and the clouds look dodgy too: http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/03/ds10fss.jpg

Ontopic: I'll play OFP2 if its better/or more fun, but I suspect they won't be as mod friendly as BI are, which will damage the longevity of the game no matter what.