Sign in to follow this  
AfrographX

Theatre of War

Theatre of War Demo got released.

http://www.battlefront.com/products/tow/demo.html

I've a weird bug with it turning my screen upside down. There's a fix for that but than the game only runs in window-mode. Seems to be a little bugged. But the graphic is awesome and it runs smooth with normal settings on my old notebook (only get 5-10 FPS with ArmA).

Odd, it's lagging like a b'atch on my AMD x2 5200+/2gb RAM/7950 512mb GFX card even on lower settings.

Been looking forward to it so i'll play with settings i guess and see what happens.

Ahhhh. Note for dual core users. Tick the 'only use one cpu' box in settings, now its smooth as.

Huzzah! This might be the one of very few RTS games I will enjoy.

Anyone managed to complete the defense tutorial yet?

I'm getting overrun everytime.

Same with the mission "The Last Frontier".

I don't think that missions winnable to be honest! It's a fantastic game anyway, i love zooming close in, its great watching it all close up tounge2.gif

Yeah, the enemy infantry get cut down no problem, but those tanks and artillery smash everything to the point where I'm left fighting with panzerfaust and grenades.

The only time I actually took out a tank with them was when a t-34 rolled into the trenches and everybody just pounded him from every direction. Even then it only killed the crew. Would've hijacked it if the only people capable of using it didn't get taken out by artillery a few minutes earlier.

This is so sweet... Been waiting for this a long time.

I played it, didn't really like it. To me, control felt really clumsy, among other various gameplay things I didn't like.

Eye candy is great and everything but at least the defensive tuorial mission and "The Last Frontier" mission are impossible to complete. Seems like the enemies view is not affected by trees and other obstacles at all. The AI-snipping is even worse than in ArmA.

Seems like the demo isn't such a great advert for the full game.

Yeah... The Last Frontier mision is impossible! I held out till both of the reinforcement squads arrived but they were quickly killed by the enemy tanks on the other side of the river sad_o.gif

I finaly beat it. I moved my own artillery back into a field at the start of the map and I guess they weren't able to see it so they targeted the trenches. Ended up losing them so I concentrated everything on taking out those enemy tanks. By the time the russians reached the hill I had 3 tanks left and had to shoot like 50 russian infantry. It was a turkey shoot at that point.

I only wish they had allowed you more freedom in setting up your defences before the battle.

It had a lot of potential but I don't think I like it.

The infantry are ridicules. Why are just individual soldiers instead of squads? You have to drag a box and group them with CTRL # your self instead of selecting a squad and issuing a order, which is way to gamey. It's weird in that way the troops act like they are from command and conquer while the tanks act like they are from a strategy game.

My troops seemed to act like idiots of course but not the computers. My troops kept getting out their trenches and standing up or just deciding to wander off some where for no reason with out any orders.

I don't know I'll give it a few more tries but I hate the RTS aspect of it. Would have been better if you issued orders then let it run for 15 seconds and then issue orders again sort of like combat mission. As it is now well, I hate the chinese fire drill it is now. All your troops are running around with like their heads are chopped off while you frantically scramble around ordering each and every single individual what to do. They can't fight or do anything with you telling them to do it every second. Meanwhile the computer's troops don't have this problem of course.

I hate how every thing is a mindless twitch game any more.